(2007/09) September 2007 MTBs

tequilapop: i think our babies same lah, small sized. Dahlia is 5mths 1wk+ today and this morning before jab we weighed her and took her height - 6.5kgs and 62cm tall..

Hi Vone,

I bought the Braun blender that could double up as mixer so that i can bake cakes too. Used to make oreo cheesecake b4 delivery. Now too busy liaoz. Think the blender onli cost 70++ leh.

Hi Angel,

Thanks and noted for the juice.

babydoll,
angel is right to say that after 6 months, its good to give bb solid food ~ first to introduce them to food cos the stomach lining is now more mature and safe to take in solid food apart from milk. Second, babies would want to have more than milk in their diet.

What your neighbours said is not true. About bm being no longer nutritious after 6 months. BM is unique in a sense that it customised to baby's growing needs. Yes, its true that iron content is not as high as those in formula however, the iron in bm has extremely high bioavailability~absorption power is like 70% compared to formula which is less than 10%. Formula only has iron as minerals not those unique ones found naturally in the bm. SO continue to bf as long as you can, if possible.

ANGEL!!,
thanks for that excerpt from you book! It gives me a clearer picture on how to proceed into giving solid food to sarah.

But i got problem... i latch on... dunno how much milk she's drinking.. and now, i think she's latchin on less often... argh!! so i think, i'll just use "mother's instinct" whether or not she taking the right amt of milk

re: food blender...
so soon, i will have three food blender in my tiny kitchen... one is cake mixer, the other for the adult food (chilli and stuff) and soon, have to buy blender just for sarah. SIGH... the youngest and yet has the most stuff in this house...

hi peapod, i like option 4 and 1!

Angel: kam sia for the useful tips.

poohwei: i live in jurong west, can give me the address where u bought the ice cube tray eh, i also want to buy.
happy.gif

mummies,
do you get organic vege and fruits for your darlings? if not, how do you wash off the possible traces of pesticides on them?>>?

Hi angel,
thanks. jus figure out how to join the network, finally got it. hope u can see me now
happy.gif

Hi mummies!
All of u started giving bb cereal? I haven start yet, duno where to start. Can buy the Heinz cereal meant for 4mth onwards to try right? Or any other types? Coz saw alot of them meant for 6mths so i tot wait til bb 6mths then give. But jus read on top that mummies aredi start giving.

Btw, taka fair on 1st march...all mummies going?

Anyone been to Taka bb fair before? What r they selling?

peapod,
i choose option 3

Hi Vone,
When I went to Tangs, they had all the Braun models of handheld blenders - cheapest is $40, then $59, $69, $89 and $100+ I think. Last weekend they just had a sale! Dunno whether still on now. I bought the Braun Multiquick cost $69, then only paid $40+ after discount during the xmas sale last year. Oh I just realised it does come with the egg beating attachments and other stuff when I took out the box yesterday. Dunno why I bought it also coz I don't bake!

Hi Yoki,
The last taka baby fair I went last year sells practically everything from medela, pigeon, avent, carseats, cots, high chairs, toys, clothes, shoes, etc.

blueskye,
I was just looking at the health book and realised that the weight charts for boys and girls are different. If Jade was a boy, she'd be in the 75 percentile too! LOL!

Yoki,
Re cereals, the first cereals to introduce should be rice. Don't get wheat, barley or multi-grain. I also started off with the Heinz baby rice cereal for 4mths+. Actually organic stuff is good for young babies as they are free from pesticides, chemicals and other 'medicines' like antibiotics that producers add nowadays to almost every vege, fruit and animal to make them grow faster and nicer. I started weaning my baby at 4mths and couldn't find any organic rice cereals, so used the Heinz one first. Going to switch to the organic one from Bellamy's when Jade turns 6mths next week.

angel: thanks for the info! will be helpful going ahead when i intro solids to my baby!!

yoki; taka fair starting on 6th mar if im not wrong. it has everything u need/want for a baby!
happy.gif

poohwei: im fine with $20 & i stay opp the mrt too!! B blk. u?

ben_mum: our babies are almost the same weight
happy.gif
. so that means my wormy is in the 75th percentile? i never ask PD and he never say anything abt percentile also.. ha

Peapod,
I like no. 2
happy.gif

Poohwei,
Hahaha.. what a way to describe your girl.. rubbish bin huh..

Ben Mum,
Gee thanks.. you saw his pixs from facebook hah? Actually that was his own bed. He's sleeping on a queen size bed by himself in his own room. Can't put him in the cot as he'll climb out
happy.gif

Wow, angel, you are really our solid food guru!! Gosh, Jade's already 9kg?!?! She must be so huggable now! I think you can hug her to sleep liao..I wonder how heavy is Zac now.. probably 8 plus kg.. oh no, he's smaller sized than his girfriend liao..hahaha..

Babdydoll,
Don't stop breastfeeding after 6 months! Continue to give your baby breastmilk until he self wean if possible! It'll be the best milk for him!

Justme,
Same here.. Now only 1 of Zac's feed is from bottle. I guess we have to rely on baby to give the cue. I've never known exactly how much his daily intake is since birth.. but if our babies are growing well, I think it should be fine.

Hi Angel..
Thanks very much for sharing with us your knowledge on weaning. Appreciate it.

My first attempt to feed Edison with rice cereal 2 weeks ago failed, as his tongue thrust reflex was still strong then. I retry yesterday and succeeded. He likes the Frisocrem, it really smells good. I feed him 1 tsp, followed by 150ml of milk.

I will start with one feed of cereal per day for these 2 weeks, then gradually increase to 2 & make sure that he still takes 600ml as you have recommended.

By the way, I have a question. <font color="ff0000">By 6-9 months, since we have given solids for breakfast, lunch &amp; dinner, can they still consume 600ml of milk?</font>

This is the meal plan that I have for Edison.

7am -180ml of milk
10am - ½ bowl of infant rice cereals mixed with 120ml of milk + Few tsp of water
1pm - ½ bowl of thin porridge mixed with meat and/or vegie + 4tsp of scraped apple + Few tsp of water
4pm - 180ml of milk + ½ teething rusk or ½ baby biscuit
7pm - 180ml of milk OR 1 mashed potato + 1 dsp mashed carrot + 1 dsp of mashed baked fish + Few tsp of water

If I feed him with solids for dinner, he won't be taking milk. He sleeps at 9pm, and he rarely wakes up for milk at night.

Hi Pooh Wei..
We need to dilute the juice, I read this from the book -> 3 tsp of unsweetened fruit juice (1.5 tsp juice diluted with 1.5 tsp of water)

wow emily, edison sleeps from 9pm and never wake up for milk? when did he start doing so?
so his 1st feed will be 7am next day?

hi mommies,
read in another thread (forget where already)
but i noted in my calender

Taka Baby Fair
March 9 to 25
Expo Baby Fair Hall 6
March 21 to 23

dunno if info is correct or not. but can't wait to go
happy.gif

hi mummies

good morning.. can i ask a silly question?? baby should have a minimum of 600ml of milk per day between 6-9 mths, this is based on like from 8am to 8pm .. i mean 24 hours right??

I am already having a hard time trying to make my charlene drink milk , feeding her 1/2 tblssppon of frisocream only .. i wonder how to make her eat more till like there are 3 semi solids meal + 600ml of milk per day...

Angel.. if u are saying that whatver milk that they cannot finish we mixed with the cereals/puree so does it mean we should get cereals like heinz where there are no milk solids and not frisocream since frisocrem we cannot add milk already have milk solids in it ??

mummies.. i did some reading from the july, june thread it seems that ikea highchair get the most votes.. cheap n good is their comment! I think is only 30 plus .. i intend to get one soon...
happy.gif

angel thanks for sharing ur knowledge with us
happy.gif

one more question.. when is a good time to start porridge? I heard meat must be the last to be introduce after fruits n veg...??

emily, did you do anything special for Edison to sleep through ? or he just decide to sleep through ? ;)

my boy, Shawn, still wakes up around 5 or 6am....

Hi low..
Frisocrem has milk added in it, so nonit to add milk again. Some brands like Nestle and Heinz have pure rice cereal, which we need to add milk. Pls read the instructions on their packaging.

I made a comparison among all the brands - Heinz, Dumex Nutrakids, Frisocrem &amp; Nestle, it seems like Nutrakids has the highest % of iron.

Hi Pillow..
He sleeps through on his own, I did not do anything abt it. He wakes up around 6:30 - 7am, and plays on his own on his playpen. I will feed him after I shower at around 7am... By then, he will be super hungry and will take 180ml of milk..

low family: read that meat should be introduced when baby is ard 8 mths old or later.. should be introduced last after vege + fruits..

ecookie,
My boy is coming to 6 months in a week's time. He is able to pull himself up holding on to the railing. But he still can't sit unassisted. Funny rite?

Emily.. yah.. and Zac's quite alrite with the arrangement ever since. Edison sleeps in your room? I've been losing sleep since I stopped co-sleeping abt 2 months ago cuz whenever he cries in his sleep I have to get out of bed..
sad.gif
Dunno whether it's the rite decision or not cuz I miss my sleep
happy.gif

i got a timing prob: my boy is normally stil sleeping at ard 630am but i will wake him up for his feed cos if i did not start his 1st feed at 630am i cant finish his last dream feed at 1130pm at night.. cos he s still on 6 feeds now..
his feeding timing now is : 630am 930am 130pm 530pm 830pm 1130pm

any suggestions?

Angel,
Hey can I ask you, why do we need to steam the apple? I've been giving Zac apple juice from fresh apples and the leftover "meat" seems quite soft and smooth. Can I just feed him that? Of still must steam?

bena: so zac is sleeping alone.. did u put any device in his room so u ll be alerted when he wakes up in the night?

i wanted to start letting him sleep in another room when he s older maybe 8 mths &amp; older.. prob is my MIL who helps to take care from mon-wed will be staying over for 2 nights a week and she will be in the other room using the mattress.. hmm. dont know how to teach my boy to sleep in the room when she s ard...

Hi Bena,
He has been trained that way in his infant care. As my HB always said, infant care = baby military training camp (BMTC)!

I don't dare to let Edison sleeping in his own room yet. If Zac cries at night, will you be able to wake up? Unless we keep the doors opened, otherwise we may not hear their crying sound.

Although Edison is now sleeping throughout the night, I still wake up in the midnight to check on him, make sure he is not too cold/too warm etc. Maybe I'm used to wake up in the midnight for the past 5 months...

ecookie,
Hee no need device when it comes to Zac. He knows how to get my attention very well..
happy.gif
I think even my neighbours can hear him when he cries.

Are you able to hear your baby if he cries in the other room? If not then maybe a baby monitor is a good idea. For my case, I could hear my baby loud and clear.

I thought if baby is very attached to mummy, it'll be good to start off sleeping alone in his own room with another adult. Maybe you can start his first "own room" nite when your mil comes. At least he knows even though mummy is not around, someone is around. Then the 3rd nite, he'll be more reeady to be on his own. I read books on sleep training but I think Angel who sleep trained Jade, might be able to advise you.
happy.gif
I din have much of a problem with Zac cuz when he's asleep he doesn't really care where he is or who's around..my only problem is Zac sleeps from 8.30pm and will always wake up crying at 4 plus am. I wonder if it's because he's hungry but my gosh, his last feed was 12am..
sad.gif

Emily,
Hahaha.. so funny.. didn't know you enlist your son at such a tender age
happy.gif
You're a wonderful and loving mummy. That's why will wake up to check on Edison to make sure it's comfortable
happy.gif

Angel,
I wonder if I should really sleep train Zac and make him cry it out..but so heart pain leh.. how?

Btw, Zac is 6 months next week and I plan to start him on cereal. The problem is he's still not fully recovered from his cold. Should I wait till he's recovered? Really hope he'll recover soon. Else we might have to cancel our playdate this Saturday..
sad.gif

Hi mummies,
Can I ask something? My boy woke up crying last night, but his eyes are not opened... It is not bcos he is hungry.. The crying is loud! I quickly carry him, pat him, and he stopped crying after a while (2-3 mins) &amp; goes back to sleep.. I was wondering if he had a nightmare.. Will babies have nightmares?

Hi Angel, JustMum, BenaNeo &amp; Yolk Sac,
Thanks for ur encouragement &amp; sharing ur knowledge on BM after 6 mths. At first I was so worried as my boy refused to drink from bottle, regardless it is EBM or formula.

Does it mean that I dun ve to let him drink the step 2 formula &amp; continue w BF?

Hi Angel,
Your bb can sleep on her own, so nice
happy.gif
. I also need to sing, pat &amp; dance around the hse to make him z, getting so tired to do it nowadays. Dun know when this can be over..*sigh*

Baby Doll,
Your breastmilk is better than any formula any company can manufacture.. so dun give him step 2 step 3 or whatever step formula. Continue to enjoy your breastfeeding.
happy.gif
Are you a SAHM?

Emily: yes, they start to get night terrors around this time, very normal. the usual advice is to try to minimise over-stimulation during the day, esp around bedtime. this can come from new activities (some kids get this when they start a new playgroup), too much exercise (like crawling in an energetic pattern!), TV, too many new people around etc.

Hi Bena &amp; Yolk Sac,
Thanks, now I feel a it relieved... Quite panic last night, cos the crying was really loud.. I bet the neighbour also can hear.. But heng ah, no one knocks on my door...

bena, wow! he gets his own queen size bed? so lucky bb! so that's why u have a lot of pillows to prop him?

my boi aso does a 1 loud wail at times. sometimes need pat pat sometimes no need. he will just wail liao, then go back to sleep. weirdo!

Hi Ben Mum..
I also have a queen size bed in my guest room, which I intend to convert into Edison's room when he is 1 y/o..

I dun dare to let him sleep on the bed yet, scared he will roll, roll and fall out of bed..

Emily, I removed the frame and placed the mattress on the floor. Also, I put ABC mats around the mattress. But clean that time a bit shiong lah.. unless you wanna buy bed guard lor, which is not cheap.

Ben Mum,
You are so funny.. call your son a weirdo. Ya He has 4 pillows. But recently he's been growing very strong so I'm quite worried that the pillows are not stopping him from wriggling out of the bed.. but good thing is even if he falls it's not too grave cuz the mattress is on the floor.

Emily.. understand... mine is wooden frame and my hubby dismantle the whole bed and kept it in the storeroom.

Hey btw, actually experts say we should avoid having pillows on baby's bed as it's a cause of SIDs. Baby may just flip and land his face on the pillow and get suffocated. But I never follow :p

bena neo: yah i will do the same as u in the future.. my guest room got a queen-sized mattress now. we bought it w/o bed frame with the idea of lettin it be baby bed in the future..
think i can only migrate my baby to sleep alone when he s ard 1 -1 1/2 years old.. since by then he will go childcare n my MIL wont be stayng over liao.. dun realy like the idea of my baby sharing bed with her. like not too safe... cos scared she flip at night ..

ecookie,
Oh I misunderstood. Ya.. it's totally a no-no for baby to share bed with mil! I thought there's a separate single sized bed for mil and baby sleep on queen size bed!!

Back