(2007/03) March 2007 MTBs

QQ, AAA, Astro, thanks.

QQ, thanks for the table. So going by that, actually EJ is considered to be mild fever only? Hmm, I feel weird because to my touch, it's very hot leh. Then his lips all red. And the funny thing is, even after i give Panadol, his temp doesn't come down quickly. In the past, every time he has fever, i give panadol, 30mins later, his temp sure come down. But this time round, his temp doesn't come down until more than 1hr later! So to me, that is worrying. That is why, just now at 9pm, i gave brufen.

But after looking at your table, then i think, maybe i shouldn't have given brufen afterall??!

Another question, if after give Panadol, then throughout the next 4 hours, his temp is just there, 38.6 - 38.9 then how? I did give him body wipes in between.

AAA,
actually i have no idea what EJ is sick with. Cos he doesn't really appear to be sick too. So we are guessing that it's a delayed reaction to his vaccinations 2 weeks ago. BUT, we don't know if it's possible?? The nurse did say, fever may be delayed and come 4-5 days after the vacc.. but this is 2weeks after the vac. so we are also scratching our heads.

Autum: Cos not from same family so dun have to wait interval of 6 hrs to given between the 2. pls monitor, after my colleague's case of brain inflamation, i very sacred of fever. can u sponge him? let him lie on them cool water mat. Get hb, u can buy at Kovan Guardian pharmacy.

Astro: Even paracetamol?

Autum: What jab is that? The Pn jab? Yah, kinda delayed. He could be fighting some unknown infection and therefore the fever. As long as he has enough fluids, shd be ok. Anna has got sore throat and her voice is all hoarse now. I think it's from the bak kwa bites she gets from me. :p

Autum: how much paracetamol are u giving EJ? could be dosage too little thats why fever not coming down. we need to increase dosage as their weight increases.

autum: there is a strong viral going around.. my entire family ganna. i think u know my yh story liao.. my mum also down with fever.. so was i.. so i think ej cld be having a viral fever..

Dr ong did say before. i dunno why i called her up.. coz teng was having a temp of only 37.2 that time :p.. then janice (clinci asst) patiently explained.. give panadol first.. 2 hours later monitor.. if still above 38.. give bufen liao.. so i kept monitoring every hourly wor..

Star,
thks. will monitor.

AAA,
he took Pn and Chicken pox vacc at the same time. The nurses told me it's ok to give both at the same time..

AA: paracetomol is panadol (pandadol is layman's term i think). YES, no panadol for infants below 3 mths.. that's why it is auto admission for yh both times .. haiz

Star: yes. they treat infants with fever VERY seriously.. TOO seriously i find..draw spinal fluid, drwa blood, catch urine. send for cultures. nothing said straightaway put on a plug to inject 2 kind of antibiotics to put fever down...at least 4 days stay... but better be safe than sorry. coz with an infant.. things go haywired super fast.. before u know it.. brain damage..
that infant of 1 mth ( i hope she is discharged liao).. made to lie on a cold cushion.. parents cannot carry her unless feeding.. constant monitoring of bp and heart beat..constand sponging.. see liao scared.. hear her whimpers i go into depression. sigh...

Autum,
Dr ong likes to say, DRINK WATER, can also bring down a bit. especially hot weather. but now not hot weather la...
u can give brufen de but after giving brufen, temp wont come down v fast one. Dun need to wait till 4-6 hours. 2 hours after paracetamol also can give if temp still high. brufen will oni prevent it to go higher, or rather stabilise around 38. paracet will bring temp from 38-37 faster.

i trust my gut feeling more than the table. if EJ lethargic? or still active active.?
yes, dosage also increase le .

astro, i copied exact from the table, cause i dun use voltaren supp too.

Autum: yes, the supp is very good.. but no longer available. i understand they stop importing it liao.. dunno why. pharmacy tell me one.

Volatren and brufen belong to the same family, so can't give together. Must wait (I believe) 6 or 8hrly.

Autum: Panadol is very mild de. I won't be surprised if it doesn't bring down the fever. I start alternating if after 2 does of panadol, the fever is still lingering on.

I gave increased dosage for panadol already. Cos 2wks ago when he got his vacc, the nurse has to give us panadol as a precaution for fever. And she calculated the dosage. And she told me, for 14kg and above, we are supposed to give 7.5ml. And EJ is just at 14kg weight.

QQ,
EJ is still active. Hmm, so I should actually give him Panadol now? Aiya, I headache le. haha. His last dose of Pandol was at 5pm. Then at 9pm, I gave Brufen. So if I want, i can still give him panadol now at 10pm right? hmm...

He is still active but definitely more tired than usual. He went to bed at 9+pm and now is asleep le. Didn't want to drink his usual milk.

Autum: EJ is getting lethargic liao. coz he went to bed earlier than his usual 11pm timing.. and refusal to drink evening milk. pls monitor..coz need to prevent dehydration..

erm.. i tink the med adminstering quite haywired liao.. pls monitor.. he's running a relatively high temp.. and appeared flushed and less active..if within the next 2 hours.. if it still hovers above 38.5 ... pls consider bringing him to A&E..

no no, astro. babybear dr said brufen bah. i forgot le. i think voltaren/brufen same same family.

Autum like that u can wait and give paracet now (in theory) but then if 4 hours later still got fever, u cannot give brufen again woh. give parac again. so, it is better to give paracet later bah. u monitor and see if got chiong up again?
as far as I know, u dun expect brufen to bring temp down to 37. it will hover around 38.

or just use supp, let him sleep...

ops. i sound like kancheong spider.. heh.
but in A & E. i see many kids with high fever.. in the ward.. all the toddlers/bbs with that cool pad on forehead.. many kids down with the viral this period.. dr ong said .. many many pple sick.. strong virus..

actually, to me, 38.8 - 38.9 is v high for tian though dr ong's chart dun say so. it is 0.5 C higher than my standard for tian.
dunno why.

astro, chiong to hospital? you know what will hospital do if we bring kids there? also wait right?

AAA, i ask Dr ong, wah the chart seems a bit out, she said let them drink water first. u will know what to do. she said if i give paracet at 37.5 C seems too early. Tian visited dr ong only once when she had fever. all other times were 888 GP and babybear PD.

autum!
i got copy down the timings of adminstering both med. coz u know me. i kancheong. i didn't want to make any mistake.. so Janice told me..

suppose:
4pm give Panadol
5pm If fever is still above 38.5, give bifen
8pm panadol
12 MN panadol
1am if more tan 38.5, bifen
4am: panadol

does this fulfil the minimum 4 hours interval? coz on my paper.. i also marked.. 4pm - 8pm ('one cycle' of panadol-bifen-panadol)

i need to go orh orh liao. nite nite!

get well soon EJ.
autum, monitor a bit. u have supp?? if got then quite convenient so that u dun ned to wake him up for medication.

QQ: no.. wun wait.. straight away.. sponge, test etc.. i saw kids being sponged at A &E..i saw one girl warded on 2nd night.. mother was almost shouting at the nurse 'doc says give her fever med.. she is having a high fever'..

to asnwer your question, astro.
babybear dr said, 6 hours is still ok..... though ideally 8 hours interval is better.

poor EJ.

nite nite!

ladies, thanks for all the concern. appreciate that. I just went to measure his temp, it's now at 37.4 Yipee!! cos the whole day, his temp didn't even fall below 38 at all. So maybe brufen does work to bring temp down?! weird!

anyway, i will continue to monitor. thanks all!

autum: if u see the timings i posted hor.. and trying to match to 5pm giving of panadol.. hmm. seems to be like that lei. coz if bifen is given at 6pm.. (instead of 9pm) perhaps the temp wld be down too..

Astro,
your table of timing for med is very useful info. Actually it kind of coroborate with what QQ type in her table. Her line 4 in her table, give bifen plus panadol, bifen at 8hrly interval.

good good.. now we all know what is the best or right way to give panadol and brufen. yeah!

Autum: key is to remember 6 to 8 hr interval for each of them but in between, can be at least 3 to 4 hr. but hor, side effect of bufen is that it causes gastric, so if can, dun give so often to baby, not good for their stomach leh.

Hehehe.. Am eating cherries now.. This batch is solid!!!
happy.gif

And I just bot the golf ball pineapple tarts from Selegie this afternoon.. Plus another packet of bak kwa (no bacon this time round, just sliced pork). Plus the coconut and coconut jelly in the fridge.. Hehehe.. I'm all set now.
happy.gif

Tom morning going for gynae visit, but can't see meimei's face anymore cos she has descended. :p

AAA: cherries? in season now ah? i just bought some seedless grapes, they are soo sweet. wha u all set for CNY liao. when will ur confinement be ending?

AAA,
wah, u sound like u are having a feast!

star,
yep, i will try not to give brufen again. i know brufen is not that good for the stomach. hopefully don't have to give brufen again!

Star: Yeah, in season now.
happy.gif
Actually this is the third batch we're having already. Been here since maybe 3weeks ago? They're not too sweet, very hard and crunchy. Solid!
happy.gif

Not sure when it will be ending actually. erm.. I think it's up to me bhah.. But I shd be having the 1st mth and anna's 3rd birthday celebration on 28 feb..
happy.gif
The last day of CNY..

aaa
u may be delivering on tue?

learn something new on brufen and panadol today. since both are presribed by doc, dun he/she advise the interval?

sq, mist
is your lochia heavy? subsided?

bad mood, got to go back to office tomorrow to settle some work...

autum
lucky ej beta liao, so you can zzz tonight
happy.gif

aaa
you can really plan for anna's bday during confinement liao
happy.gif
i'm undecided whether to buy the selegie tarts cos no cravings so far... hee.. chao4 kuan4

AAA/SQ,
i already booked for a bottle of pineapple tarts fm lecafe. but my collection date is on feb 7.

autum,
just read EJ got fever, good that his temp is down. last week, K's fever o gave her 6 hrs interval. coz hers went up to 40. hers is viral too. heng the fever finally stopped on thursday. but though his fever is down, you should give EJ for another day.
dont give too much brufen as possible coz nt very good. we usually give K some milk b4 brufen.

oh yes, u know what happen last week, i gave her a bottle of panadol from feb 09, and the label said 5ml. forgotten that must give her more than 5ml liao coz the bottle was given in feb 09. after that i called dorothy ong the next day and she told me should give her 6ml coz K is 13kg.

pink,
if u must go to off tmr. make sure u are well covered since office aircon could be cold and dont stay too long. u shld lie down, how are the piles ? gone ??

aaa
will mei mei's actual first mth fall before 28th feb? u gonna celebrate later?

sq
i thought lochia should be subsiding soon. went back to tiong bahru today to change add for NRIC (have to change cos couldnt register birth cert for enya at tmc due to this) and to settle some stuff and ended up having lots of it, not sure if i walked too much.

kaexin
K's weight more or less stagnant now? almost same weight as leia.
plan to stay for 3hrs. hiaz.
piles are getting better.

Pink: I'll know when after visiting gynae in a few hours time.
happy.gif

If Tues, then I may celebrate on 27th Feb instead. Tues is 26th mah, so I think it's ok to celebrate on 27th cos weekend mah. If Sat, then that's the 30th, so lagi ok to celebrate on 28th.
happy.gif
Interval is to alt the meds every 3 hrly..

SQ: Yah, shd be tying down the invite list and details of the bb party. But really, it's gonna be a full mth celebration too.
happy.gif
Yah boy, your cravings are all gone!
happy.gif
Your CL is doing a great job with your meals.
happy.gif

Kaexin: You know wat? I just walked in without prior booking for the tarts. Actually it was on the spur of the moment that I thot abt them while we were buying bak kwa. The cashier initially said at most can spare me one smal bottle. Then the lady boss, seeing I'm pregnant, said ok to give me the 50 pieces one. She's SO concerned with me being pregnant, asked me to be careful, told me not to overeat on the tarts - 2 a day, and even offered to carry them for me! Plus, before I made payment, she went to the kitchen and gave me a warm, fresh out-of-the-over tart! I was so surprised! Ariel has good ren2 yuan2.
happy.gif
Hey, each ball costs 90 cents and weighs 50g!!!

aaa.
tey increase the px o e tarts?
e fresh ones r v nice, looks like they will give to preggies. e last time i went one uncle put two on my hand n i din noe wat 2 do except carry tem all e way 2 e car! hee hee

pink
for ye, the lochia came and go. so this time round, i dun dare wear small pads. it's the maxi 35cm one all the way! i do feel like a bb with pampers on all day
sad.gif

u converting to part time work right? when?

Back