(2006/09) SEPTEMBER 2006 MTB

Hi Charis,

Erm... I was going for step aerobics classes up until I tested positive for pregnancy. Stop going after I found out last week. The other reason why I stop is because my knee is injured from too much step aerobics. Looking around for a lower impact exercise to do.

From what I've read so far, exercise like walking, swimming, aqua aerobics are okay. You'll have to avoid over-stretching yourself now and also exercise that involves a lot of bouncing (high impact) etc. It seems that a chemical is being released in our bodies now that causes our bones to be softer to prepare for childbirth (the pelvic bones have to open up). Thus, over-stretching may cause injury.

BTW, I'm still trying to read up more about how to take care of myself during pregnancy... Any good websites to share?

Hi cookies gal...

Oic..thanks. Anyway, Where do u do your exercise? I was taking packages from AMore for a few years alrd.

YUp..same here..doin a lot of research & reading lately..hav some knowledge from my dip in ech. But lots of new things coming up.

I heard australian websites are good. I've been to a few. I know a good author anyway, recommended by some of my frens who r doin their padetric studies- Dr. Miriam Stoppard. U can find her books in the library, Kinokuniya,etc.

Hi charis... the chinese physician said the herb is very safe and good for baby that is developing. i do a virginal scan last time is becos i am in my 4weeks pregnancy and that time wanna to confirm whether i am really pregnant or not. Cos is too early to see using tummy scan then a gyna said to use virginal scan.
Cookies, think should be safe to take chinese medicine ba cos last generation ppls also take chinese herb for their baby. thank for the advise, i am not sure whether to see my gyna after 3 months or shall i go for my next appt which is 1 week time. will see how ba and see what others comments. Thanks both

Chocolat,

Hahaha... really? who recommended you? she is a nice lady right?
My next appt will be on 3rd of feb. Me is abt at my 7 weeks now.. feeling extremely tired, maybe cos i have another toddler to look after.

My sis recommended. Yes, she's a nice lady! I'm on my 6 weeks now feeling tired too..but I see u have a more challenging role to play for u still have to care for ur toddler. U must be feeling so exhausted at times. Is there someone who's helpin u to take care? Pls take a rest as and when u can. Take care ya! Btw, ur first child delivered by Dr Yang too?

Hi Charis,

I go to the classes held by the Singapore Sports Council. Was attending the lessons at the Bt Gombak Sports Complex.

Thanks for the tip...will keep a lookout for her books. Her name sounds very familar.

oic.. ya, this is usually so for the first trim.
Indeed so, actually this was an unexpected pregnancy. and somemore I hv just placed my gal to CC this yr, so quite siong for me. Guess just hv to take things easy.
But imagine has to go thru all the stages again really fret me out!!

Yes, Mary yang delieverd my first child and was by C-section. She was only 1.8kg when birth, very small. Then this time rd Mary yang was saying better take in more food and tonic, not to scared her again! hahaha..

U too, hv to take good care and more rest.

I'm almost falling asleep here at work..with the misty look and thunder outside, what can be a more perfect time than to slip under the blanket and hear the rain drops tattering outside the window... *dreaming* hee..

Visited my gynae this morning. Am about 8 weeks now. EDD - 29 Aug. Had to do virginal scan coz can't really see the fetus from the normal ultrasound.

Joon, the nausea pills really help, but it cause drowsiness. Tend to knock-off immediately if I take it at night... The name of the pill is Promethazine Theolacte 25mg. You may want to check it out.

Charis, my gynae said exercises such as swimming, pre-natal yoga and slow walking is ok... nothing strenuous. I'm planning to do some light exercises (such as slow walk on the treadmill) at Planet Fitness. Have been a member there since Oct last year.. Gotta use the facilities otherwise the membership fee I'm paying every month will go to waste.

bc7778, I think it's better to have separate food servings and utensils (Just my personal opinion). The best person to check with is your gynae.

hello elaine,
thank u so much for ur info...really appreciate it....so after all, is he ok? any feedback?

piglet60 and elaine,
both of u r in the 7th wk huh....maybe same delivery date too
happy.gif

Hi Charis,
The 1st thing I checked up on when I found out I was pregnant was whether I could exercise or not! I agree with you, no exercise --> very lethargic! Anyway, from the numerous websites I found, all of them recommend exercise. Studies show that mothers who exercise have an easier (and shorter!) labour and their babies were fitter in the future too.

Some things to take note of though -

1. No ab work (though I found websites that said otherwise) coz tight abs might cause breech births
2. Keep your heart rate below 140bpm. I don't have a heart rate monitor, so during exercise, I feel my pulse for 6 secs and multiply that by 10. If your heart beats less than 14 times in 6 secs, you're fine
3. Cookie is right - no high impact stuff. Running and jumping around is not good. (for your joints and for the womb)
4. The important thing is not to exert yourself, listen to your body. Stop when you feel tired, dizzy or nauseous.

As for me, I'm still going to the gym and cycling and lifting weights. I just take it easy and stop when I feel tired.

Thanks Amy, I will try those pills! And maybe I've seen you at the gym before
happy.gif
I go to PF too. Do you go for classes? Which PF do u go to?

HI Joon,

My Gynae has advised against weight lifting. You may wish to put it off till after pregnancy. Even golf is not advisable. Best.. swimming, strolling and yoga for the preggie.

Thanks Amy. I better double confirm with gynae.

hi morning
I will be going to see the gynae next week which is going to be my 5th week. Come to think about it, i thought it may be really too early! Do you think I should postpone till later week then see her?

Anyone knows if floral tea is safe? I took some peppermint tea (caffeine free) cos it's suppose to be able to ease MS. I dunno if rosebud is ok too cos sometimes really cant take in plain water.

dear ladies, can I check something with you? is ginger safe during pregnancy? esp during 1st tri? coz we heard too much ginger not good, and read on the web that ginger in lab tests in animals found to cause fetal abnormalities and spontaneous abortions. but what about light amount of ginger like those sliced fish soup whch sure have ginger? I am asking coz my wife is craving for sliced fish soup but we know it contains ginger. pls advise, thanks.

Hi ladies,
I'm going to be a Sept mom too and tis is my 2nd pregnancy. Currently my little boy is 4 and a half mths. I'm in my 6 wks now and will be scanning for heartbeat next Friday. My gynae is Dr Thong from Raffles Hospital.

Joon, I'm going to the PF at Suntec. Used to attend the body balance class... Is it advisable to continue? There's a lot of stretching involved.

helo helo, i also recently discovered my pregnancy, happy to find a group of girls here whom I can share things with. delighted with the pregnancy, and yet the nauseous and tired feeling is getting me down.

chocolat, i feel exactly the same! feel so lethargic, nauseos (but no vomit), yet when i lie down in bed i have problem sleeping. its so fustrating hor? in the end how long you take to fall asleep?

i tot better to be safe and dun take the rosebud and peppermint tea, coz i know that certain essential oils are harmful for 1st 3 mths of pregnancy. since essential oils are made from the flowers and plants, it probably leads to say its not safe to eat/drink those plants too?

Chocolat,

its ok to drink peppermint tea, as i read up in some website that it helps in MS, me also drinking them now. as for rosebud, never come across, but i think rasp berry tea leaves can also.. but i think better ask Mary Yang to play safe.

hi regtmc, u are in the same stage as me, except my first child is younger than urs, she is only 2 yrs old. At her terrible two stages. really made me peng siang at times!

Hi daisybuttons,
yes me too, nausea and queasy feel but didnt actually vomit out. Fortunately, still able to take in food but in smaller portions. I do feel that cream crackers do really help in easing MS. I always make sure i have 'em in office, home and in my bag. Do really hope that it doesn't get anymore worse *fingers crossed*
happy.gif
. As for sleep, I would usually try to read a book or do something instead of turning and tossing in bed cos I feel that would usually make me more awake. Anyway, this is a good chance to read up on pregnancy and learn more esp this is my first one and i'm quite lost
happy.gif

Hey Piglet60,
How's ur day today? Hope it's been good! wow..raspberry tea sounds delicious! u know, now whenever I see meat esp or food advertisements on tv my stomach will turn. Usually, I would salivate at those steamboat advert cos I'm a soup lover but now, it no longer tempts me. But yes, I think I better check with Mary Yang again on the floral tea.
Thanks
happy.gif

helo chocolat, i try to read which i love doing, but nowadays i feel tired after reading a few pages leh. which book on pregnancy would you recommend? i wld like to buy one but not sure which one to buy?

cream crackers? really? hhhmmm....okie will try them. anyone try drinking lemon water of ribena instead of water?

chocolat, me is still the same, tired as usual.. hahah.. ya, raspberry tea sounds delicious hor, cos i like raspberry drink very much, so maybe can take that as well!! don worry, some ppl will get over the MS after the first 3 months.. hope by then u can start to hv your fav soupy steamboat feast again!!

daisybuttons, i hv a colleague who drank ribena everyday instead of plain water, so i think shld be alright ba.

Hi Jazz... consulted my mum. She said light amount of ginger in soup / dishes is ok, but ask your wife try not to eat the ginger.

HI gals!!! congrats to all of u!!!!

i am about 7 weeks now, my EDD is sept 11.

hi Charis, i also went to see Dr YC GOH at thomson plaza, his is my mom n aunties gynea. his scan at $50 is normal, but consultation at $50 too is abit higher, some of my friends one consultation are from $30 to $35. of cos they are also those very ex ones from $80 to $100 just for consultation. i am neutral with Dr Goh, hope that he would be good. actually i went to see him when i am about 5weeks n did the scan can see baby leh. on this first scan photo which given to me stated 1.6cm leh. hmmm, i was shocked leh but din really ask Dr Goh. how can be so big? hmmm, i duno. what about yours?

Jazz: u can ask the fish soup aunty dun put ginger. or just dun eat those in the soup, abit should be ok.

there are so many fruits that ppl tell me cannot eat, so sad. like papaya, watermelon, oranges, big bananas, big crystal pears, sigh now i only left with apple, kiwi n strawberry.....

o ya those who went to see gynea liao, did your gynea give u all any supplements to eat? like milk powder for mom? my gynea said is too early to eat these yet. and also my gynea did not do any urine tests leh, did urs did?

piglet,
Very funny leh, I just started to have very mild nausea and can't eat much. My gynae already started me on fish oil, multi vit and calcium. A bit kiasu isn't it? My EDD will be the same as my current baby. I conceived tru ivf for my 1st pregnancy and now just transfered my last 2 embies.

hello daisybuttons n chocolat,
i haf these symptoms too...feeling fatigue n sleepy, nausea but no vomit too oso i haf lots of gas in my stomach too..burp n burp....especially when comes to nite time.....

piglet60,
i tink itz still too early leh unless u feel not rite.......will b beta if u r in 6th or 7th...some even go onli when they r 8 wks pregnant....(tis is my opinion)

regtmc,
i tink my appetite is decreasing too...but den after a while wanted food.......mayb due to the gas in my tummy.....

Congrats dabee!

Well, I did my scan at 7 weeks and bb is 9mm, when books all say 5mm is normal. I was a bit worried, but my husband said the scan at the next visit will confirm whether the bb is really big or not! I guess different bbs grow at different rates.

At my 1st visit, my gynae gave me folic acid and a B12 vitamin, that's all. She said that should be enough. It was only $10 for medication, but her consultation was $90! Woo-wee! Thinking of changing gynae coz the wait was terrible too, 1.5 hours. (so boring) About urine test, no. I didn't do one.

Thanx BC, I will take it easy! It's just so difficult to give up exercise coz I was quite used to it. I will try!

Amy, I think the best thing would be to inform the instructor that you're expecting. She/he should be able to better inform you what's good for you and what moves you should avoid doing. I told the Cycling and Pump instructors and they told me what I can do in the class and what I cannot. Or if you can find Haley (an instructor) in the gym, talk to her. She's very friendly and helpful.
happy.gif

I'm sometimes very confused because some websites/people/doctors say some exercise is good (eg: yoga, pilates, cycling...), but other websites/people/doctors advise against it. So, reading up too much/listening to too many people is sometimes not too good!

I guess just listen to your body. It will tell you when to stop. Don't push yourself!

Oh gosh, I hope this helps!

hihi everyone....

Can I join in?... i'm 5 weeks pregnant, first time mummy... heheh.... excited yet worried lor.. hehe... glad to have this forum cos i really lost, first time mah...

going to see my gynae next tuesday for the 2nd time... last tuesday went there but the foetus not in the middle of the sac yet.. so next tuesday going again to see if my baby doing okies or not.... kind of worried lah... but still hope for the best....

been burping a lot since monday... from morning till night... monday and tuesday was the worst.. kept burping and burping... then these few days is better... but hor... i get hungry easily wor.. hahha.. now stomach making sound liao....

eh..wanna ask cos recently keep having small amount of light brown and white discharge found in my undies... is this normal mah?... a bit worried lor... also.. sometimes feel a bit of cramp feeling like during mensus lor... normal mah?... *worried**

hi evy1

jus found out that i m preggie on wed..mixed feelings nw cos quite unexpected.last nite n tis morning had bleeding kinda worried..gonna c gynae for 1st time later

me oso 1st time mummy...hb more excited than i m..cant sleep at all at nite..isit normal?

Dear all,

Just to ask any of you have any vaginal itchiness before/after you confirm ur pregnancy???

Mine was quite unbearable and Gyne said it is Fungus, but it won't affect the pregnancy!

I hv to really pray hard and hope for the best.

I was given cream to apply to stop the itch.

Hi bc7778,

I'm 27 now and celebrated my AD only in June last year. To tell the truth, we aren't even planning for baby yet. But despite our preventive measures, I'm still preggy! Anyway, since God has decided to bless us with a baby, we'll just go along with the flow of things. My first appointment with the gynae is tomorrow. Feeling excited about it!
kao_clap.gif

Ladies,
Just a note of caution, if you are having cramps and spotting, make an appointment with your gynae ASAP. Coz such symptoms are not good.

hi Cookie's gal..

Im also 27.. going 28.. had my AD last sept. Time flies. My maternal instincts took over me end of last year.. i spent some time convincing my hubby.. tried and strike on 3rd attempt. ;) I don;t think a man can ever understand the bond we have with the growing embryo..

Did anyone in the first trimester put on weight??

hi bc7778, I am gg 27 this coming Feb, and is my 2nd pregnancy, been married for 8 yrs.
I myself has never put on any weight but decrease weight when i hv my first bb. i guess normally the first trimester will not as we don hv much appetite and so much air inside our stomach, feeling very unccomfortable. Now my stomach is like a small ball at the end of the day.

hey coolqoo,
i m oso 5 wks liao..same leh..which gynae r u seeing?oso a 1st timer so a lot of worries...i oso have the symptoms as u leh...burping n burping...at times get hungry easily....i do haf symptoms like u....sometimes feel a bit of cramp feeling like during menses n itz on and off lah......dunno normal or not.....i have not decide on which gynae to c too....more lost than u......

maxxx,
tis happened to me b4 i conceive leh.....seen a GP n got cream n medicine to cure it....she said itz normal amg ladies....

dear amylim and dabee, thanks so much for your reply. amylim thanks for consulting your mum. okie okie will let her eat the sliced fish bee hoon but dun eat the ginger. she dun like the ginger anyway. thanks ladies!!!
happy.gif

helo piglet yah loh hehhe last night oredi went to buy 3-4 packats ribena, drinking one now...yum yum....hehehee.
happy.gif

dabee, nope my gynae didn't do urine test. but the gynae i saw the 1st time is not my usual gynae lah. quite angry with the nurse. when i went to recept, i told the nurse i tested positive at home. then she send me in to do urine test. i tot do one more test at clinic to confirm is std procedures mah. but when i go doc's office, found out they didn't test for pregnany, just took my words for it....so irritated. but anyway after that they got scan and test blood lah.

but i been taking folic for some time liao, she just replenish my stock. and gave me some hormone pills. dun have any vit or fish oils....

d woof, yah loh, very lethargic. i constantly like in a daze like that, feel like there's a film over my brain, have to focus very very hard in order to think. and its so tiring when my work requires me to walk around quite a bit sometimes. do you feel the same?

hehhee u keep burping ah? i usually don't burp, so even now also. but i find i farting a bit more lah. we both come out different ends ah! hehehheheee. :p

i was imagining hor, when all the mummies here keep saying they filled with gas, perhaps the gas is lifting us up on the weighing machine and the results is lighter than we really are hahahhaaa... aiyah i siao oredi, so tired.. :p

Hi bc7778,

Hehe...actually I started to feel some maternal instincts after marriage but wanted to put baby plans on hold coz of career. But looks like my career plans gotta put on hold instead.

hi gals

usually my wify don't get the folic from the gyane lor, very ex if get from them.... we get from Unity and cost only S$2++ for 100 tablets.... gynae one much more ex.... I compare the two, same brand somemore...

Hi dabee, nurse tested the urine & checked my blood pressure + weight when I last visited my gynae. Was told that this is a routine check which must be done before seeing the gynae. My gynae just prescribed folic acid. She will start me on multi vitamins when I next see her.

Bc 7778, I'm 31.. Got married last Feb.

Pig2 - Hope u are feeling better. Try to see a GP to get some nausea pills... or if not try putting axe oil. I think it should help.... That's what I did when I start to feel nausea.

hi daisybuttons,
ya..before preggie i m a very late nite bird but den after conceiving, slp quite early as compared to b4.......my job oso requries me to stand n talk n talk...so me feel tired easily....
ya lor..burp a lot......gases always coming out from me from the top...hehe

hello elaine,
i m in my 5th wk.....EDD not very sure but den checked on the web calculator is b/w 19-21 Sept....will update u once i c a gynae....

hi amy
Since to be better, but some days are horrible. No worry, still can cope. I will still refrain myself from medication, if possible. I also never put any ointment or so.

Anyway I will seeing my gynae next wednesday.

Do you all start using stretchmark cream? I heard is better to start using right from the start.

Hi ladies,

This is another disrupted night's sleep. It's now 2.46am!

I am expecting my 3rd child sometime in Sept. I am only seeing my gynae 8th week (Feb 6th) after testing positive a week ago. I have two lovely girls one 5 years old and one 10 months old. I will be going to Dr WK Tan at TMCC. She's been my gynae for the past two pregnancies. Frankly, I really hate waiting at the clinic to see her.

Well, as for stretch mark creams, I have tried it all. For my first pregnancy I used from start and didn't get much stretch marks. For second one I also used from the start but because my stomach was bigger than the first, there were more stretch marks... so my conclusion is, creams help somewhat so that you will itch less when it stretches but it will still leave stretch marks...

... gotta try and sleep some more...

Hi all,

Am also expecting and due in Sept.

Sweet Dame,
THis is also my 3rd pregnancy but will be my 4th child. I hv a 32mth old girl and 12mth old twin boys so hoping that this will be a single pregnancy!!

Am still figuring which gynae and when to see him/her.

Wt regards to stretchmarks, I nv had any wt both pregnancy even though I dont apply cream regularly. You either hv it or you dont I guess
happy.gif
But yeah, I guess the creams help.

Well, hope everyone's having a great w'end!!

Back