(2006/04) April 2006 MTB

Stephz,
Will you be in Korea for good, or will you come back? How long will you be there?

This weekend I am also not free although I am very keen too.

I bake some almond biscuits today and KJ finish almost half a container of it. He is hugging the container while I am typing this post again. Got to hide it somewhere.

baking almond biscuits.... yummmy.... draik, can i ve some.... ???

=p

Oh right... i must confess i m a lazy and lousy mommy!

I can't even cook a decent meal for a week!

Haiz.

anyway, trying to force myself to leave office by 6pm (office ends at 5pm but never had chance to step out till 6.30pm) and go to carerfour to get some meat and veggies to go home and cook...

but very very tough!

BTW, I am looking for oven now...

Any comments on how or what should i consider when looking for an oven????

Re:eek:ven,
dun get Elba. Mine is Elba and it is not good.

cooking need practice. I cannot cook very well too, only eatable food. If I am working outside, I will choose not to cook.

Hi Koalarie,

Mine is a panasonic microwave cum oven. Dunno if you need a microwave, but I find that my oven is good. During microwave mode, cannot use metal, but during baking mode, can. And the cakes/ muffins turn out nice and brown.
happy.gif

evon,
if possible, try to get an oven with a see-through door. my baby belling is not see-through, so i can't really tell what is happening inside the oven unless i open the door. other than this complaint, it is pretty good. i find that the baby belling bakes evenly which is impt. also consider your needs. if you wish to bake things like whole chicken, get a bigger oven.

btw, anyone wishing to get a KitchenAid mixer shd get it from Robinson's, which is selling it at a steal for $690 (and also a 5% rebate with the Robinson's card), for Robinson's cardmembers only. Too bad I alr got mine.

draik/momyam - hee... you pple can bake stuff already, dun need to take courses liao. Anyway, may not attend too, cos' find the instructress so reluctant to provide info, eg. roughly where. Dunno if go there, she also be unwilling to share her knowledge. I would rather learn from someone that is not so "secretive".

Haha...I still a loyal citizen lah. It would be lovely if going to Japan instead. Momyam, is K food so nice meh? Quite a no. of friends say they love K food too. Anyway, going to try them with a few of my classmates and K language teacher.

Btw, tonight 11.30pm got a nice K show on ChannelU, award winning one. I remembered last time I watched and cried.

Oven
I got a 2-door type. Cons - the area inside is half, ie cannot bake big stuff. On the other hand, hee... maybe save electricity cos' smaller heatup area?. I buy then is cos' it looks nice, can't really advise which brand is good.

Oven:
1. Nowadays oven got those self clean one? anybody has that? Is it effective? I hate oily stuff and if a plate or wok is oily, i will wash and wash again till my hands don't feel the oilness.

2. Also, some ovens come with top and bottom metal heater?
ISn't it harder to clean the bottom?
The sales lady was telling me to put aluminium foil below??? Won't the oven catch fire when I bake?

Rxmom, na.. i ve a microwave already.. so be looking for oven one...

Tanwawas, yap...I agree on the see-through ones... thinking of grilling/baking chicken and making muffins at least.

Draik, I will take note of that..

Steph, don't understand by two door one? Which brand?

JTS: There will be Dora & Spongebob at Sentosa on 28th June.

The following are the only information i have. I am considering to go take a look.

Nickelodean: Let’s Just Play

It’s time to get up, get out and go play once again! Yes! Nickelodean’s Day of Play is back for the 4th year in Singapore. It’s going to be a day of non-stop exhilarating fun and games for the whole family!

Date: 28 June, Saturday
Time: 11am – 6pm

Stephz,

How long will you be there? I also envy you leh. I love korea. The place is clean, weather is nice and lots of kimchi. I agree with momyam that language is a problem. Hope that they have include English to their road signs. The last round I went in 2005, we have problem getting about cos no English road signs. How I wish to go back there again.

Koalarie - mine is Meneghetti. I think it's only avail in certain shops cos' I was scouting for oven then and it seemed that only that shop carries it. I bought it cos' it looks nice and can choose the colour of the oven to match the kitchen theme. Actually it got the grill and a few other functions, which I didn't even use. *sigh*

Draik - can email me ([email protected]) your biscuits recipe. hmmm... thot of making rock buns today.

Tracy - hope you are feeling better. Hmmm.... so many of you seem to love Korea, haha... but me love Japan more leh, tho' I love K drama. Actually I still prefer Singapore, at least here I can order tingkat, engage part-time cleaner and know where to find yummy food and shop at any time, so how long I'll be there will depend, hee..

Momyam - wow, hope can bump onto you then. We actually planned for a 2D1N there to celebrate my No. 2 1st birthday. Time really flies and I'm counting down for my "freedom".

hi mommies, my no.2 has got very bad eczema on her face, caused by her drooling and constant sucking on fingers. i tried hazeline snow (cos it worked wonders for my no. 1) but no effect at all. i don't want to depend on the steroid cream prescribed by the pd becos it's not good for her. any recommendations as to what i can do? it's so unsettling to see 2 big red patches on either side of her mouth
sad.gif

Hi fussiecat,

I recommend that you get the mustela cream for babies. My son had ecxema when he was young, and I used that. The mustela bath oil that I used then also seemed to help. You might want to get that and drip some oil into a basin to wipe her face.

Hi fussiecat,

I used CB Aloe Vera cream on him since birth. this is the one of the cream that can fix his eczema. The other creme recommended by PD is Dr. Atopeace intensive creme. So far this creme i either bought fm PD directly or the BP here.

RXmom and starry, thanks for the recommendations. I'll try them soon.

in the meantime, i'm still trying to recover from viral fever. every day the fever will come back
sad.gif
today is the 6th day for me. I oso kenna sinus infection, taking antibiotics for 3 days liao but still no improvement. i feel so miserable!! good thing is my kids are not affected at all.

fussiecat, u might wanna try gaia skin soothing lotion. You want can get a bottle from me coz got extra. Used for no.1 and 2 coz they have abit of dry skin here and there but it's works..heehee...organic somemore.

Wow so many posts. I've been busy after having two and now preparing to go back to work. Alamak, my no.1 super sticky and after church camp worse. Next wk gonna put her to childcare dunno how man. Might be a big scene. Will keep reading the posts here.

Heehee...so many with no.2 already. Maybe we should have a gathering once again.

fussiecat - hope u and bb are getting better. So which lotion is good?

Draik - thanks.

babe - so you going back to work soon? So who will look after your no. 2?

Btw, mummies with no. 2, any comments on OCBC or Std Charter for CDA account? Which did you opt?

Steph my mum takes care of no.2 and no.1 go cc.

Talk about go cc, started her yesterday and cry big time. Come home keep waking up in sleep and cry and only wants me to carry. Help help...What should I do? Teachers tell me just drop her off and say goodbye. I did but felt so heartpain see her cry. Exhausted now coz not enough sleep since she woke up almost 2hly with her acts and her didi still bf throughout the nite 1-2times. She didn't even want me to carry didi nor feed him.

Babe

*Hugz* Totally understand how u feel.

Did you start her full day alredy yesterday? It's actually better to start her with only a few hours or at most half day and gradually increase the hours. Have to understand that it can be very traumatizing for the toddler to suddenly be left at a strange environment and strangers. My boy also experienced night waking and crying initially. If the CC allows, you may like to accompany her during the first few days so that she can get used to the new people and place while feeling secure with u around. You can also prepare her by talking to her at home on what to expect at the childcare and reassure her that u would be picking her up again.

This can be a difficult phase, but rest assure that it would pass. You hang on there and keep giving your gal lots of assurance. Try to get your hubby to comfort her too.

hi babe, agree with terrier to start with shorter period gradually to full day. It's normal for them to cry at the beginning stage and you will feel so heartache, but usually after some time they will be ok.

You will need to constantly assure her that you love her especially now with no. 2, the no. 1 will feel very insecure, thinking that daddy and mummy only want didi and not her. What I did for my girl is that we have outing everyday after playgroup at the beginning. She stopped crying on the 4th day. Guess she realised that mummy will come for her and looks forward to the outing after that. Hope that helps.

thanks gals..she still doing her night acts...how long did urs last? I dun have time for gradual coz starting work following wk. These 2 days she cries when I change her for sch but once reach school, she will stretch her hands out n ask teacher to carry. Didn't really wanna say bye to us though she was tearing. Normal?

Hi Babe

Yes, that's normal. That's probably b'coz she feels angry with u leaving her in the childcare, that's y she refuse to say bye bye.

My boy took abt 1mth before he finally accept the new place and ppl, and no more nasty behaviour after coming home from CC.

Just one more word of caution, due to the new environment and difficulty with coping, the child's body resistance will be low and may get sick easily during the first few months too.

So sad to have to leave her. wonder if I shld shorten her time there though she started full day. I know crying is normal during the separation part but didn't expect to affect sleep.

Terrier, urs also cry at night in sleep and refuse sleep?

Hi babe

Since you already leave her full day for this week, then no point to shorten her time there next week.

Yes, mine also cry in sleep. His daddy end up got to sleep with him in middle of the night when he cried. I believe this is because the sudden change from a home environment which is quiet to a noisy and full of ppl environment is too over-stimulating for the kid, hence that results in the kid having nightmares and difficulty sleeping.

terrier, how long did yours last for? Mine wanna be carried to sleep. And after that can't immediately put down. Have to go into some sort of deep sleep then can put down. My gal already coming down with flu...

anyone know where to buy large size (2T or 3T) long sleeve sleeping suit - those that cover the feet? Outgrown the Mothercare largest size. We sleep in a/c room, prefer to keep her feet warm... she always sleep turn here and there, even sleep in crouching position ... the blanket is absolutely useless.

Gap has all the way to 5T or 6T, but too pricy leh ... I was happy to find size 3T from The Children's Place at a more reasonable price but when I check the size chart, it's only 83-90cm, quite small sizing, so I need 4T! *bang the table* why no manufacture 4T?

Where o where in S'pore can find? *sob sob*

At last resort, the cheap option will be to sew on footies myself lor.

Sorry, cos everyone thought you are looking for socks since twws suggestion is a good one. Hope u have luck finding them. Don't think your curtness is nec, since everyone is just giving u suggestion.

Hi mommies! How many of you are mothercare VIP card holders? If you are, you must have received their mailer on the offer for National Geographic magazines. I was quite interested in subscribing to their new mag 'National Geographic Little Kids' which is for toddlers. Then my colleague told me it's not that good. She told me there are nicer ones from the US and UK. Anyone here subscribes to mags for their toddlers?

RXmom,
I'm sorry if my short answers displeases you and thank you for pointing out that a reader may interpret my words as being rude.

twws and tracy,
Thank you. I really appreciate that you responded to my query. Your suggestions were the very same options / websites that I have considered prior to my query, hence I sort of just read and add on, and forget to thank you both explicitly.

Hi Chenoa,

It's ok. Just that sometimes the emotions behind smses, text messages, etc might be easily misinterpreted if phrased in certain manners... ha, or maybe it's just me being too sensitive.. :p

hi chenoa
i did sort of see your reply as curt, and a little impolite. it was good that su raised this point and you came out to clear the air. it was the phrasing of the sentence that makes it come out sounding curt. i'm sure you did not mean to be rude
happy.gif

hi RXmom,
thanks for bringing out the issue. if not, this misunderstanding might not be cleared.

Chenoa,

Glad that the misunderstanding is cleared. I will keep a lookout for your sleepsuit when I'm doing my internet shopping. The idea of sewing the footies onto the sleepsuit is rather cute.

Any of your little ones still taking the pacifier? I just weaned off Enya's pacifier. But she is not sleeping well at night without the pacifier. I'm so tired after her wakings for the past few nights.

Hi,

morning all.

Our thread looks "dead" again.

I want to know what is the feedback on your toddlers for mommies who brought your toddlers to attend Shichida.

How did it go? Are you seeing "ROI"??? =p

My girl just completed 1 year in Shichida. Personally, I felt it was worth it for the first 2 terms, as she was very interested then. But she got rather bored after that, perhaps the activities are basically the same but just diff materials. Have decided to stop, and have signed her up for the bilingual class at Julia Gabriel, at least she is enjoying herself more and is more open to going for classes now, and can interact better with other kids. Shichida does not offer much social interaction.

As for ROI, honestly speaking, I do not know if what she has learnt now is a result of what she had gone thru in SM, I have not been doing the home practise with her at all..only as and when I feel like it.. she can read a simple book on her own now and recognises many words. She knows all the letters and phonics from A to Z. Think have to give a bit of credit to SM on that.. though I believe it is largely due to the fact that she loves reading and I have been reading a few books to her everyday for some time now

Thanks, Hunniepot.

Anybody heard of Right-brain training then?

I feel this age now they seem to be picking up lots of things very fast. My sil previously brought her Pooh's encyclopedia on animals and she could recognise the mammals pretty good.

I am thinking of signing her up for such training to help to improve her memory and learning capability.

Hunnipot, how do u know ur child can read? My gal still like taking books and flipping it through. Probably have to start reading again with her coz her attention span so short and keeps going off to do something else.

What kind of classes is good?

koalarie
my ger (born in may 06) attended 2 terms of rbt in a home based sch run by ex-SM teachers..the sch was featured in the ch8 prog recently. hv stopped her lessons cos just started half day cc for her & dun wan too many lessons for her now.

i've picked up many ideas on wat to do wif her at home re memory training, fine motor skills etc. but it's a sit down desk work kinda class so some active kids do get restless after a while. I can't say whether there r any ROI oso but i would never hv thot of letting her do mazes etc at her age haha. Hunnie pot is rite, there isn't much social interaction between the kids during the lesson...activities r fast paced & sometimes i feel out of breath hahhah

Hi babe,

I realised that she can read when she is about 18 mths or so.. and a good way to gauge whether your child can read, is to write the words down on a piece of paper or magnetic board and ask them what those words are.. jumble up the words from different sentences too. Or when you bring her out, and see words on signboard etc, ask her to read it out to you.. Amanda will pick out her fav books and point to the words and read it out loud on her own. I brought her to her zoophonics class on Monday and she read off this entire song on her own: "Good Morning, Good morning, nice to see your smiling face, Good Morning, Good Morning, To me and to you" I have not read the lyrics of this song to her b4.

As for schools wise, it really depends on individual child. I feel whats most impt is the presence of the child's parents. And whether or not they spend quality time with the child. No amt of time spent in even the best classes can match up to quality of time spent with their parents.

Back