(2005/01) Jan 2005 Mom-To-Be

haha...I think Catz is probably rite. I think all in all, AZ is about 3-4 years behind US & Europe. Adelaide even more laid back, I think 10 years behind. Most people here are not very well-travelled and doesn't have a global perspectives of what is going on outside AZ, and know very little about people coming from other countries, that overseas people actually knows more things, more techno savy, more exposed to many other things. Like the water shortage issue, actually there is heaps of water underground but I think we are not tapping in that sort of technology, not like some of the Middle Eastern countries. If they can survive in such harsh climate, I don't see why AZ can't.

About racism, sure will have. I know it exists everywhere in the world. Sometimes, I do wonder if it is because of my skin colour, I was given a different treatment. But I don't care lah, I usually just speak more assertively, more confidently and this will usually put the other party in the right perspective. Most angmos also scared to talk to asian coz they scared if they can understand their accents. Overall, most people are pretty nice and friendly, once you break the ice, most pple see beyond the skin colour. I think this place is going to change, lots of migrants have been very successful, taking up political positions, winning academic competitions, taking mgmt positions in uni and even this highly popular cooking competition called Masterchef.

Must tell you all abit about Masterchef, very entertaining. Amateur cooks from all around AZ auditioned for this tv reality show from thousands to find 1 champion. This year, it was won by this chinese guy whose dad is a malaysian & mum a singaporean. And last year, was this malaysian hot babe in the 2nd place. Some of our familiar dishes like salted egg, chicken rice, braised pork belly, pandan cake, drunken chicken etc were being judged by these angmo and they thot they were very good. One of the judges even mentioned tt the best crab he has eaten was at East Coast in Spore. Rolled eyes!

Tetra, Having lived 3 years in UK and 2 years in US plus my sister's 5 years in Sydney, we've all encountered racism, whether overt or in discreet fashion. If I had a dollar for everytime somebody told me "you're from Singapore? But your English is perfect!" or something to that effect, I'd be very very rich.

You'd be surprised how suaku angmos are. My American uni flatmate's parents are both lawyers and they both never had passports until she did the exchange programme in the UK and had to apply for them to come see her graduation! Imagine!!

My sister is a Masterchef and Ironchef addict. Hehe. Sounds like you are one too!

Catz,
I had the same experience. One of my coursemates in UK asked if Singapore was part of China or Hong Kong or near there, couldn't believe we do four A level subjects - all the toughies, in their opinion. According to them NOBODY does Bio, Chem, Physics AND Math, that's "insane", never mind get four A's in these subjects, "Are you kidding me?". Plus really, Singapore used to be a British colony?? Can't really blame them, we are a dot on the world map, quite easy to miss.

Saw that you got your apple. Happy? ;P

BabyD, yah PRECISELY! Anyway I had good mates in uni and they always got me to vet their assignments cos I had the best English. Haha. They weren't the obnoxious type obviously.

Very happy with my iPhone 4
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Me also here..

Tetra,
NDP ok lor...At Padang though. This is a long weekend. There's no school for today even. I think lots of parents took time to bring kids out of SG for short breaks.
What about you? What have you been busy with lately? How's Lucas in school? Marcus attended any form of school yet?

Winter now, family down with cough - 3rd episode of sickness during this winter. last year, was not so bad as we had flu jab.

Lucas is enjoying his school, learning to read well now. As for Marcus, will start him in kindy when he turns 4 next July so meanwhile he faces me and I face him everyday.

Met a few SAHMs from Malaysia and Spore, one of them moving to Spore after staying here for 10 yrs with her hubby & 2 young kids. They were here since their uni days. Then another one who just returned from visiting her family in Malaysia, is thinking of relocating to Spore after they obtain their PR next year. They have 1 son who is same age as Lucas. Then previously, know this Sporean mum who was here for 2 yrs plus shortly after she had her baby, was also thinking of moving back to Spore but then she changed her mind now.

I think it is an accumulation of mixed emotions - isolation, depression, not hopeful of the future, lack of social interaction and family support. Quite sad lah, just wanted to leave this place... Being a SAHM is already now easy, and being in a faraway place doesn't help. Now taking time to meet them and cheer them up...It is the state of mind, not the place lah.

BTW, I read that there are now many foreign talents from India, is it? Read that many Singaporeans are put off by their behaviour and attitude. Is it true?

NDP very 'traditional' this year... i.e. boring :p I only liked Kit Chan. The rest was so ho hum.

Yeah this week is really a holiday week. Timo has excursion on Thursday so no school on Friday for him!!

Tetra, oh dear.. winter is bad flu season. Not possible to take flu jab for this year's strain? I am finding myself more immune ever since I took the flu jab in June.

Nice to have one-on-one time with Marcus.. I find the second child is so deprived of quality time cos first one is always so much more demanding.

Indian imports ah... yes on the rise. Indian International schools have super long waitlists.. dunno, I think they have more value-add than PRCs but yes, they are darn annoying. Guess Singapore is attracting a lot of third world citizens with worst behaviour than ourselves... haha.

Tetra,
Hope everyone at home gets well soon.
happy.gif

State of mind if very important wherever you are. But I guess family support is very important for families with small kids. I can always open my mouth to ask MIL to come and take over L when I really need to be away. But just imagine the isolation, especially when the kids are ill... I think this need determination and guts and an understanding spouse to be able to stay far away.

Hey, I have a group of Indian friends in my estate that are my great "fans". Though they can be REALLY gossipy but that's out of boredom. But having said that, I have met one really nasty one. Well, I guess every colour has the black sheep, yah? SG is indeed attracting alot of the rich Is & PRCs.
If I'm a rich foreignor, I will also like this place. No natural calamity (less recent floods), no riots and extreme behaviour allowed, and best of all GREAT & mostly inexpensive food.

Hi,
Niece got HFMD and we were all together as a big family on NDP watching the parade from my parent's house. Sigh... fingers crossed that none of us will get it, esp cos the kids are still recovering from a bad bout of phlegmy coughs and running nose. Hubby is travelling to US for work next week and I seriously cannot take MC from work either this month. I'm screwed if this virus hits us.

Piggy,
Yah, my bro called me on Tues night when they discovered the rashes. They were unaware cos she has no fever, only rashes and was perfectly well on Mon.

Now my nephew (hubby's sister's son) just got admitted for pneumonia, cross infected with same bug as my kids. All their immune systems are weak now, really hope they don't get HFMD on top of it. Got circular from school saying HFMD and the H17 strain on the rise. I'm getting quite paranoid.

Sorry, remembered wrong number, EV-71.

Update: No signs of HFMD rashed; nephew confirmed having mycoplasma; Sherman and Sherilyn now both down with fever.

Hey BabyD, aiyohhhh mycoplasma takes a long time to get better from but at least it's diagnosed. Most people just suffer without knowing it's mycoplasma. Awful little bugger.

Take care
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

Hi girls,
Tiring weekend... poor boy puked all over the place on Fri night after taking milk & medicine, first all over the sofa, then all over the kitchen floor. Kids' fevers have abated by now. The antibiotic for mycoplasma is this really horrid white suspension, takes a lot of persuasion to get it down. The little one has it milder, so we spared her from the antibiotic. Hubby and I are also having some sort of sore throat starting and keep sneezing, but we're holding up. No fever for us yet. No signs of HFMD for our kids, but nephew (SIL's son) has strangely come down with it on top of the initial pneumonia. But he's out of hospital at least.

There's an epidemic of HFMD going round at the moment, 900 cases in 1st week of Aug alone! Guess my nephew may have caught it from clinic or hospital, not from my kids cos they didn't kena. My bro's kids are both down with HFMD, but no fever involved, so should not be EV-71.

BabyD, oh my goodness... a lot of people are down with tummy flu and HFMD. Very scary indeed. Sigh.

Sounds like a bad time for your family. Hope everyone turns the tide soon. Take care!

Hope BabyD's Sherman and Sherilyn are OK. My nephew and Bethany are having some mouth ulcers. May be a very mild strain of HFMD according to the pd. Sigh. Anyway will not be sending them to school since Bethany's class has a case already. Sian sian sian.

Hi girls,
Reporting: Medical crisis over. =)

Hubby flew off to LA this morning though. Wish I could go along... Catz, I dunno how you cope being a single parent when hubby's out-stationed.

good to know that the storm is over. Not only tiring for the kids, parents as well. Seemed like HFMD always happen around this period, is it?

I think catz's ordeal will be ending soon when hubby returns for good. I think the distance does make the hearts more fonder for each other. maybe a new addition will be coming soon...

BabyD, glad to know it all panned out OK!

Guess I'm used to handling the kids all by myself so it's not so bad.. but it gets very very lonely
sad.gif

No new additions, thank you very much.. I'm finally looking more like a yummy mummy and not an ah soh, not willing to trade that in! Very happy with my 1G1B config
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Hi! Hi!
Remember me Yong Xiang's mummy.
Had not logged in few years already. Managed to recall my username n password.
Saw the babies photo in earlier page, cannot believe how fast our kids grow ...
Xiang going K2 next yr, my elder girl P4.

Need more times to catch up with past posts....

Hi Mummies,

Anyone interested to participate in a 2hrs group discussion on 7th or 8th Jun? We are paying $80 to $100 cash incentive. Purely research study.

Mothers with 4 to 6 years old:
7th Jun @ 3:45pm - Formula milk drinkers
7th Jun @ 6:45pm - Non-Formula milk drinkers (like fresh milk &/or milo drink) - used to drink in the past

Mothers with 7 to 10 years old:
8th June @ 9:45am - Formula milk drinkers
8th June @ 12:15pm & 2:45pm - Non-Formula milk drinkers (like fresh milk &/or milo drink) - used to drink in the past

Must not have participated in any surveys in the last 12 months.

Interested, please do not PM. Kindly sms me at 91892420 with your details ASAP!

Have a good weekend!

Back