(2004/12) Year 2004 December Mummies

hi all, my boy has the prob with S, like "school" will be "chol", and "story" will be "tory" hahah. I'm trying very hard to make him say it properly, he sounds like "lazy tongue" to me, when i correct him, he'll try to say it properly. another one is "t", his "thomas" is like "chomas" and i realised he doesnt "push" out his tongue when he says words starting with "T", so it all sounds like "c/k".

I agree Rochelle, my boy love Thomas and Friends, so we bought related pdts to let him read and learn and it worked for us very well.

I have two Barney concert tickets, bought at $71 each for tomorrow(5 Apr 08 Sat)'s concert at Suntec. Will let them go at much lower prices. Any reasonable amount is fine, please PM me your best offer by today and I'll meet up with you tomororw to pass them to you before concert starts.

Concert: Barney's Lets Imagine Live!
Time: 11.30am
Date: 07 Sat 2008
Seats: Row E, seat 5 and 6
Original Cost: $143 total
Selling at: Best offer by 7pm today.

Payment: I will require a 50% deposit of whatever price we agreed on via IB, and remaining amount to be paid up in exact tomrrow when tickets are handed over.

Hi rochelle,
you are a SAHM home schooling your children? cos seems you are very on-th-ball with getting activities for your kids to do.. think that's very nice.
happy.gif

i am a sahm living in perth now.
i am so lazy to get activities for my boy.
so i end up bringing him to parks and beaches

ethel
nothing good to buy. i am no here for holiday - staying here for good. so to me ... nothing lor. except for fruits and veg.

Rochelle
thats the culture. however now, more sub urban shops are closing later. i think it is good for them to close shopping malls early. otherwise i pity the pple working in the malls. and also pple will start shopping, instead of spending time in the parks and gardens or watever.

anyway there is nothing to shop in au

mngo,

I miss the Japanese (houseware)and European (clothes) brands here. I like Christian Dior, Fendi, Chanel, Gucci (in order of pref) but only Chanel perfume is here and LV is here. Daiso, Kinokuniya are here too
happy.gif

while I was there also spend my time after work at supermarket and bookshops. I am not a shopping person and I was staying in downtown so the parks have homeless sleeping in the evenings.

You are migrating to Perth for good? we are PRs here already but not sure whether for good.

Rochelle
your "here" means in US or in AU?
Perth - there is only LV, Gucci, Bally.
My craze for Lv and Gucci's long over.
There is no Daiso
sad.gif

No Kino. WE hv Dymocks.

I am not sure if i am here for good or not.
See how it goes. As long as we are happy, we will stay as long as we can.

mngo,

my "here" is california. Dont have craze for LV, Gucci but prefer european handbags and clothes. especially now I have to buy clothes from children section of Old Navy, Gap, Gymboree as ther adult sizes are just too big.

I have been to Dymocks only once so cant remember.

the parks here are v nice too. but some parks have homeless sleeping. luckily those near my home dont have.

my hubby has a paternal and a maternal aunt migrated to Australia many yrs back. his cousins were born there.

Hello mngo *big wave*
DI must be enjoying himself over there.
esp the parks and beaches
happy.gif

Hi coolmama and juxta,
My kid also had initial problem with certain sounds. Took her awhile to get it 'right'.

Hi Hannah,
My kid also has very short concentration span, but her teachers were kind and reassured us that it may be she is a Dec kid as compare to the rest of her classmates who are older hence able to focus more. It could also be the learning style of a child that inhibits more active and constructive learning.
but we will be monitoring her as she is extremely active and literally can't keep still save for a few activities.

Rochelle
why would u miss those brands since u are already there in cali, and u can hv access to them easily.

Lachesiz
ya man - DI loves the parks!
and i love it too .....
though wine and oysters comes on top of the list :p

Mngo,

I miss the european brands as only LV is easily available here.

I now have to buy american brands childrens dept becos their clothes are too big.

Aussie wine is good too.

mngo,

a friend went oyster "fishing" when she was working in Perth for 3yrs. she said she just need to pay for a license to "fish" for oysters for a whole day and whatever you can get is yours. she said the amount of oysters she manage to get is worth the license.

enjoy the parks.

mngo,

I like the Huggies Aussie website better than the USA one.

I like to go to the park in the day and do my shopping in the evening. but here the shops close early on sunday so if need to buy anything have to end up rushing to the shops before going to park.

Amusement Park,

went on sunday and spent 10am-6pm there. was there when the park just open and my boys played until the park almost closed. they have lots of fun, slept the ride home and was v energetic after the nap. we were v exhausted

i think it is quite a unique way to post like Rochelle. There is header and content. NO one ever does that - first time i come across.

Let me try

Swan Valley,

went today and spent 11am-5pm there. was there when the wineries and all just opened and declan had good time. we tasted wine, cheeze, and local product. my son slept the ride home. we were also very exhausted.

King's Park

went last week. Declan loves the play ground.
He could played for hours.

Toysrus

It's big. WE got declan some toys. He did not want to leave the place.

Scarborough.

Nice beach. Played Freesbie with my boy. He played well. He loves sand too. But winter time - so cant play for long.

<font size="-2">talking to who? myself?</font>

Toysrus Thomas train giveaway,

saw a coupon posted for free wooden train up to USD12.99 in value. went to toysrus and manage to grab 4 trains for $1 each because have to pay GST.

Summer,

Now the temperature is about 34deg from 12 to 6pm so can only go to the park after 6pm. waking up temperature is already 24deg

"Crocs" shoes

Went to buy Crocs look alike for $5 each for my boys to wear at the balcony because our balcony floor is rough.

Plants in my balcony,

tomatoes and pepper plants have lots of flowers but so far no fruits. the flowers that I planted all got "cooked" by the hot sun and died.

Going to park in winter,

Mngo, I take a 1 litre thermos flash of hot water and also a 240ml cup of coffee in a coffee mug to playground. so that can stay warm. my boys run like "energizer bunnies" at the playground so they dont feel cold.

Rochelle

thanks for the advise. i hv the thermos flask, but no habit to bring it out. i'll try it the next time.

plants
for your plants - err i have zero experience in planting. do u plant them in pot ? do u hv a garden tat u can plant the plants? maybe can share your experience.

crocs
i saw crocs look alike as well - tempted to get the high cut - rainboots kind. however i am not sure how comfy my boy will be in those boots.
$5 is cheap. over here, it is 8.9 thereabt.

crocs,

they are not comfortable for walking long distance. however they are v good for when my boys are in the stroller while in the malls as it keeps their feet cool in this hot weather. my boys dont like flip flops. Best is let Declan try them on and jump in them. My boys use their snow boots as their rain boots. its more comfortable than the traditional rain boots.

Plants,

My plants are in pots in my balcony. my balcony is about the size of the 5rm HDB flat balcony. This is my 3rd summer here. some plants we plant from seeds. some we bought the young plants and let them grow so that those will bear fruit first. we manage to harvest some peppers and potato last month.

winter plants,

tulips, dafoddil,lavender do v well in cold weather. snapdragons did not do as well

mngo,

which brand of sunhats is good for kids? there are so many good Aussie brands that not sure which one is more comfy

Rochelle,
Hey I'm into plants-with-edible-produce now too! Bought them ready fr neighbourhood stall.

1st was an EGGPLANT- unfortunately out of 3 potentials, only 1 grew to decent edible size, the rest rotted. Now it's barren leh, no idea how to make it grow more EGGPLANTS.

Then I bought a PEPPER plant... I thought it was chilli cos it's so small, and the lady said very spicy. A few peppers on it, all plucked and eaten, now left only 1. Once that ripens and eaten, not sure how to encourage more to grow leh. Quite disappointingly NOT spicy enough leh.

Now waiting for the neighbourhood stall to replenish, hoping for more EGGPLANT or non-spicy stuff, more fun for the kids.

pawprint,

u can dry the chili if u want it more spicy

you can use liquid fertiliser to get more "fruits". there is organic fertiliser too if u prefer

I have two tomato plants which my boys like.

1658696.jpg

Rochelle,
that's so cool!
Recently saw someone planting DURIAN, it's so interesting, the whole seed moved out from within the soil.

Hi,

My dd is born in dec 04. But is premature for about 3 months.
I am looking for any mummies had the same here to share with me? Dont mind the others as well..as my gal started to behave not listening to caretaker and me..Do you have the same as the age of 3.9mths to 4yrs old?

Hi happyface,

My boy is also a dec 04 kid. He is also very naughty.
Rude to grandparents, does not listen to instructions, laugh when he's punished.
I'm also at a loss how to discipline him. Dunno if what I'm doing is too much or too little..

Hi Peace and Rochelle,

It had been so long, there isn't anyone replied to this wedsite till then.

It seems that it is normal for children who had reached their 3 to 4 yrs old being naughter. 2 to 3 yrs is the most cutest and funny one.
How about the age of 5 to 6 yrs old??? My gal seem to know of being tired while doing home work and sooner will be cutting down in doing homework and wants to play more.... Dont you think so?

Where do you sent your kids to school? PCF or Private school? If private school, what is the title of lesson there are teaching now? PCF is now teaching My Body in English and Chinese. How about Private?

i have not been active on this thread but i'm very stressful now. my son is 4+ (dec 04) and attend school for 3 hrs for the past 1 year. he still dunno how to write properly. i am worried that he cant catch up k2 and primary school. i can give him homework but he still can store in inside his little brain. he concerntration is very short.

Hi computer,

Not to worry so much. My gal also 4+ (dec 04) &amp; now is attending K1 @ PCF. She will cry once the teacher hand work for her to do (only those requires writing). She will cry &amp; keeps on saying she don't want to write. This also happen when she attend Nursery (Teacher also complain..HaHa) But now, it is ok. she already get over the fear (I think). Once she get home &amp; after changing, she will automatically get her homework out (if any)to do. No more reminder, checking, or nagging. Give your son some time.... he will surely learn...

My son is also a dec 04 baby. Anyone thinks that dec babies are at a disadvantage when it comes to learning ? If they are born a few days later, they would only be in N2 now and not K1 which requires so much writing and reading.

Hi ctrlaltdel

I agree!! in terms of learing they slow with these children in beg of 2004.

Hi Computer,

hv u try let ur son do some assement book??

if only my boy is born a few days later or even 1st Jan, then he would be given the choice to defer. sigh ! in any case, i have been coaching my boy after work, not much time though every day, cos i'm a working mum.

Hi ctrlaltdel,

I m FTWM too. I had be coachin my son aft my wrk and weekend bt come to revision with him he will 4get..

taurus, which area do you focus in coaching your son ? nowadays, i focus on reading because i think it is important to know how to read before you can answer any questions. can share your teaching tips ?

Hi Ctrlaltdel,

Mon - wed i do math assement &amp; and Eng. eng will be writting in a excercise book of 3 alphabert in a word(eg: Cat, hat, pig etc...) each time I gve him two words. aft completetion, I will test him w/o looking at it and write it out.

U r rite reading is impt as well.. my son attend phonics every sun and teacher will give them storybook to read so I will pratice with him as my son Pronunciation not gd.

Thursday - math assement &amp; eng assement
Fri - Sch hm wrk
Sat - Eng, Math &amp; Chinese

Sun Rest

Wow, that's a lot of committment from you and your son. Good. Thumbs up !

For me, every day, i will get him to read with me. This includes engliser and chinese materials, but his pace for english is much much faster than chinese.

As for writing, i focus more on chinese nowadays. i will get him to write chinese characters for me. one page of squares on the exercise book. can be anything under the sun. for english, i will just get him to learn the spelling words given by kindergarten.

once a week,i will go through the homework with him what he has learned in kindy. That includes mathes, english and chinese.

and that's it, not much time left for other things. his attention span not that long and that i also need to sent him to bed liao.

Hi ctrlaldel,

u oso put in alot of effort in your boy..

hehe.. no choice my son oso gt short attention span and short memory as well so I hv to spend everyday 1 hr with him..

Btw nice talking to u..

Back