(2002) Any 2002 babies?

my gal also kena for chinese, 2 strokes not joined properly. i was angry cos dis word is also part of her own name!

My gal fared poorly for English. Though she passed, I feel that she can do better. Her overall marks were affected by Compo (9/20) and Compre (3/10). I did not see the actual compo papers ..not sure why she had failed.

Now I am thinking if I shd send her to English enrichment classes.

Hi Mummies,

Today has been raining on and off.

My son has his results w/o adding the oral & etc. He did ok.

Maths:93/100, English:46/50 while Chinese: 47/50

Heard from him, his comprehension made alot of carless mistakes. Only 1 answer got full mark while the rest had 1/2 mark deducted.

Have not seen his papers. Thus do not know what careless mistakes he made.

ohohjazz: I have quite a couple of Japan itineraries depending what kind of trip you want to have. If purely for kids to have fun then I think should be Disney, Universal & Puroland.

Last few rounds, I got my F&E from JTB travel as it gives free railway pass but this yr they do not have the offer anymore. You can save abt $200-300 for each railway pass.

I will pass you the itinerary once I finish
happy.gif

ICR AMK - I heard from my gf that 1-2 teachers are not good. You should tell ur hubby that ICR is not exp compared to Learning Lab. My gf's son who will be starting P1 next yr already started lessons at LL and each lesson is $70+. Thus for her 1st term including registration, she paid abt $1k. *faint*

Assessment books: I oso learn my lesson. Think I will juz buy a couple first to finish b4 buying more.

Hi avrilf

Congrats on ur son's good result...I am looking forward for my gal's ptm on 17 Nov which I will get to see her report book..

For assessment book I will only buy one or two learnt my lesson too...bought too many this year

Glad that everyone did ok. Finally it's all over. Do you think we should put down our guards and let them relax? Or continue to do some assessments here and there to keep up to momentum?

Sometimes I wonder what's the correct method. Leave them alone let them learn at own pace (and risk falling behind) or push them do better (but risk burning out). Such a dillemma. Anyone care to share your views? Cos I feel very confused as to which method is right. Either way I feel guilty that I am not doing in her best interest. Or am I tinking too much already.

Hi avrif,
Congratulations for your son's result.

Hi bebe75,
Don't be disappointed. Let's work hard together for next year.

Can anyone recommend any good assessment book for chinese and English?

Hi MaisyDiasy,
Tell you something. My son "scolded" at me for not teaching him much on English before I had the chance to ask why his results is poor.

So I feel that we as parents need to push them before leaving them alone, especially at lower primary. They still don't know what to study and to study smart. I don't consider myself as a "kiasu" mother until my son's chinese enrichment teacher feedback to me that he is lagging behind. SO I have no choice, but to push him to study hard.

I also ask my son to revise on his own and his reply is he don't know how to start or what to revise.

Anyone thinking of letting yr child attend Lorna Whiston Holiday writing classes? I was wondering if I shd go down to United Sq branch later on to enquire more abt the course. Personally I do not believe writing can be improved within 5 days of attending the course, be it how intensive it can be. But I guess I am being desperate...

Hubby told me to hold on till we get the chance to talk to her teacher or at least see her actual writing compo papers. But I highly doubt I will see the actual compo papers as the sch wanted us to return all exam scripts by next Monday.

Last night I could not sleep...flipped her exam scripts again to understand why she did so badly. For Compre, I notice she did underline the correct answers in the passage. But when come to writing them in her own words..her answers were all wrong!!!

Hubby said I shd not be too harsh on her English as I did not spend too much time with her on that area. I told him, it is hard as the current Stellar system does not have fixed syllabus. And I was not aware that Compo writing is almost 18% of the overall English paper. Her weekly writing portfolio assessment is abt 7/10. I am a bit pissed that the sch place heavy weightage on the compo writing for this exam. I gathered from a parent that this is the first time the P1 include compo writing in their exam.

Yen Ling
I agreed with you that parents need to exert some pressure to push their children to study hard. Some kids like mine does not understand the importance of exam...the first question my gal asked whether she can proceed to P2 with her friends. I said she passed her papers..she can join her friends in P2 but she needs to improve her results to continue staying in the same class with her friends.

And knowing my gal's pattern..if I do not continue revising with her...her memory will lapse and forgot all that she has learnt.

I was discussing to hubby yesterday on why are we relying so much on enrichment classes to get our child to improve her results. With the $$ spend on those enrichment classes, we can get a 1-1 tutor to coach her personally..and now she is only in P1...what abt P3 when Science gets into the picture.

I told him actually the enrichment classes help me to highlight her weak areas. Her enrichment teachers frequently shared with me her weak area so that I can focus on these areas during revision. But for sch teachers, the feedback channel was not effective. We only get to see the teacher during ends of semester terms..and their works are kept in the school and returned to us only end of the term. By then she was so lagged behind...and we got so upset with the poor results.

Another reasons why I am so reliant on enrichment classes..cos it did show results. She had improved on her Maths papers and her Chinese results was satisfactory.

Hi Natellehcim

I read that you sent your kids to the writing classes at Learning Point @Thomson Plaza. Can you share some feedback and also their course fee and schedule? Thanks/...

My gal gotten her maths results yesterday. I was disappointed with her results. Despite my "coaching", she still get the qn for measuring length wrong .... this time round I am determined to send her for maths tuition. All along I am under the impression that she knows her work coz she gets correct answers on those school worksheets mah. However when she constantly couldn't do the qns in assessment books, I asked her why. Then I learnt she got the answers in worksheets correct coz teacher told the students to copy the answers fm whiteboard, pengzzz....Is this "teaching style" common nowadays?

I also have many unused assessment bks left. Shall let her finish them during the holidays.

Hi Yen Ling
Congrats on yr son's good results.

bebe75
My girl's result is no good. Althou she passed her maths & eng, I dont not know how much she got fr her compo & oral. She did badly for her compre (2 correct out of 5 marks) which is expected. So this holiday im thinking of sending my girl to writing classes/workshops.

Cookiepie: I also have quite a few unfinished assessment books. Have already told my son to continue doing them from next week onwards.

I do not want him to be too relaxed.If not, next yr I will be the one stressed. Am still thinking whether to start teaching him P2 Maths once I purchase his P2 textbooks.

According to my son, they usually do the paper on their own. The teacher will teach them 1st or go through some examples.

Natellehcim: Ur child in Learning Pt. My gf wants to register her son for next yr P1 class so was told he needs to be tested on compo, etc . Really?

bebe75,

RE Feedback
last semester, my boy's teacher also returned the files only near to SA1. i had wrote in to request for them to return the files on a weekly basis, and she had since done so for this semester. as for feedback, perhaps when you fetch your girl, you can meet the teacher periodically, or email the teacher?

RE Compre
is it the school's requirements to write in own words?

RE Compo
i don't hope for my boy to write creatively. i just want him to write a decent passage (with intro, body and conclusion) with minimal tenses and spelling error. boring story also never mind at this stage. :p

Bebe75
Lorna Whiston is having an open house on 12 November 2009 at 7 pm. Maybe you would like to make appointment with them.

I will not enrol her for LW holiday programme as i will be working and can't fetch her to & fro. And i also believe that the 5 extra writing lessons will make any difference for my dd.

Still waiting anxiously for my dd's result. I have the same query as avrilf too. Bought too many assessment books also and my dd said that she will not want to do anymore P1 books. But i may think of a way to ask her to finish up the rest of the assessment books.

Hi mummies, i let my son 'relax' on the moment he's back from his last papers. He started playing his games that day, but of course got to control abit. I did not let him do any work for the moment, let him relax. Maybe Dec then let him try out some P2 assessment books passed down by friends.

Today is the last day of school for my boy..think he should be getting his report book today. Overall, he did ok. His eng and chinese were abv 90 .. but maths was lower...his eng marks were quite unexpected though. But this time round, the maths paper was q tough plus he q a lot of careless mistakes
sad.gif

re: compo & compre
It's kind of tough to get my boy to write a proper compo. though his teacher gave him 9.5/10, I think she was lenient.

re: learning pt
R they good? heard there's a q to get the kids in. But what's the strength of learning pt?

fz, same here.. my boy gets his tenses and grammar most of the time.

Hi bebe, ya my kids are in Learning Point, starting from K1. I would say I like their phonics lessons for K1. For K2, they are having P1 headstart, teaching you what is verbs and nouns, adjectives, etc. They also started some 'writing' from module 2 or 3 onwards. The pace is quite fast but normally kids should be able to cope. However, my gal is the slow type so I'm going to stop her from taking next year when she goes P1. She can't cope, thus signed her in those 'tuition center' eg Just education.

My son is in their P1 level now, and so far what he had learnt are compreh, cloze and compo writings, which the centre emphasizes on these. they 'expect' the kids to have the basic grammar knowledge already by now. Only some homework sheets will have grammar or vocab practices. So far he can cope, so I'm letting him continue for next year. The course fees is about $350-380 for 10 lessons. they have weekday and weekend fees. But 1 thing i notice is that whatever he learnt he don't seem to apply in his sch work, eg writing skill. His sch is only requiring the kids to write sentences for picture compo.

Ya talking about compo, I don't think the teacher will show you. Seems like we never know how well or bad our kids had written. This is to minimise disputes whereby parents might argue why their kids only entitled 7/10, 5/10, etc...

fz
We did feedback in Term 2 that the sch returned the files to us on weekly basis. The teacher explained that the reasons why they are keeping the files in sch is because most kids will end up losing the worksheets if they are allowed to bring them home. And when we asked if her teacher if my gal was really that weak..she commented that she is not the weakest..the school actually provided remedial and extra coaching for those students that are very weak. This leaves me the impression that my gal is coping fine. But now I think, I shd not wait for her result to slip further into red before the school alarms me. It will be too late, right?
Hubby said he is going to talk to the teacher again..and asked what kind of support they are expecting from the parents if we are not seeing the actual works in sch.

As for Compre, out of 5 questions, abt 2-3 are those inferential types which she cannot copy word for words from the passage. I am also upset with my gal cos apparently she did not check her answers. She could underline the key words in the passage and yet reply something out of nowhere. And when I asked her to read the sentences which she wrote, and asked her if these sentences sound "right" she smiled sheepishly and said no. *faint*. Asked her if she checked before she submitted the paper..she insisted she did...I wondered how she did she check.

Amazing we hardly speak Chinese at home, but she did better in Chinese. I am wondering where exactly does the issues lie???

Valerie
I also saw the LW open house..but it is a weekday and school dismisses at 630pm..not sure if I can make it in time.

Natellehcim
Thanks for the feedbacks on Learning Pt. I think writing skills be more critical in P3 onwards..but it is good to start young. The only drawback it its location..I hate the parking at Thomson Plaza..and it is inconvenient to take public transport there.
I have heard positive feedback from Learning Pt..perhaps that explains the long queue outside the center.
Hubby thinks that the tuition center is abit elitist..cos most of the students there are from top schools :p

Tinklebell
Yr boy is in CHS right? I have seen their SA2 2008 Maths paper...very challenging. And I am surprised to see similar questions in my gal's maths paper this year. Though I have gone thru some of the questions with my gal, she cannot understand.
Eg Amy is thining of a 2-digits number. The digit in the tens place is 2 less than 4. The digit in the ones place is 5 more than the digit in the tens place, What is the two-digit number? (1m)
I have heard that CHS does not follow exactly MOE Maths syllabus..they have their own unique ways of teaching Maths, maybe that explains why their Maths paper are tougher than the other sch.

hi bebe, which sch your kid in? ya i hate Thomson plaza parking. Worse is now their valet parking block out a big bunch of lots... so causing longer Q there....
ya, saw many 'elite' sch kids over that, especially their chinese center, almost occupied by 1 particular school..... ha...ha..ha... but my boy is jus from a neighbourhood sch.
happy.gif

My gal is from CHIJ(TPY).

My gal used to do ballet at Crestar Thomson..but we withdrew her as we had nightmare getting a parking lot, the parking facilities are old and the parking fees are not cheap. And so hubby is not really into Learning Pt. Near my place, we have a few English enrichment schs eg BC (TPY HUB), MA (Bishan) and LW (Novena) but they are not cheap.

ya, bebe, guess english standard in your gal's sch is pretty high. I was surprised to hear that the compo stands 18% of the main. The parking issue in Thomson had gotten worse after their upgrading... and parking not cheap either.. thus, normally my hubby will drop the kids there then we will go off, if he's free. Otherwise i will be alone roaming while he goes for his appt.

Actually to be fair to the scripts, I think they are still do-able. Average score for the kids shd be 80-85. For those that score above 90, they has to be smart than their peers. My gal is already a slow learner, so my expectation of her is to get average 70-75.

Hubby said this is a learning experience for us, now I know what to expect when my younger gal goes P1 next year. I think Chinese will be her worst nightmare.

ya, i think most kids nowadays faces the Chinese problem. Could it be they are prone to english speaking family? My kids are opposite, they are not strong in English, due to Chinese speaking family. But they are not strong in Chinese either... ha...ha...

natellehcim: I oso allowed my son to play after his last papers. Kind of reward
happy.gif
he was practically enjoying his wii after 4 mths ban.

However this week onwards will only be allowed to play on weekend. Have also told him that we will be having new rules in 2010.

Learning Pt is definately cheaper than Learning Lab.

Bebe75: I am most likely to sign my son up for LW creative writing class. Most likely I will do a week rather than 2 cos thought of signing him up for 1 wk HUA holiday programmes too.

Hi Avriff, me also tempted to buy Wii but quite ex and I hv little knowledge abt it.
sad.gif

Ya Learning Pt is cheaper, I was comparing it to ICR when my 1st child was K1, to start his phonics. Frank enough, I did not regret the phonics lessons. But again he forgotten totally abt it now...
sad.gif
Can see the reading progress in my girl instead. She is able to read words in books or passages. However, she never understand what the sentences meant... ha..ha...

Natellehcim

I think nowadays we have less exposure to Chinese. And though hubby and I usu communicate to each other in Mandarin, but we somehow switch to English when we speak with our kids. And, speaking alone does not help to improve, still need to read and write more. My gals do not like to read Chinese books at all. Hiaz..

Avrilf

Learning lab is definitely for the elitists..their fees are very very ex. I think only the riches can afford. ha ha..I always think that their center looks intimidating like conducting some lab experiments on the kids.

I am still wondering if I shd sign up LW creative classes. Are you going to sign up with the outlet in United Square?

Hubby prefers me to send the gals to non-academic courses for this holiday. He thinks that the sch is asking too much for P1 to write compo for exam, and it is not necessary to spend $$ on writing classes at P1. He said the $$ can be put to other good uses. HE actually wants me to send them for swimming classes, but I need to convince my elder gal first.

My gal never score in all her papers but I feel still acceptable to me woh. This is only her first exam and all above 85.

Though a bit disappointed with Maths as her problem sum got 2 mistakes which cost her 8 marks. And they are just misinterpretation on her side because they are realli realli very simple and she has done a few times.

I feel we should not be too harsh on them only P1. Learn where their weakness are and work on it. Like mine aiyo like to write in her own words for comprehension for both English and Chinese. And I will work on problem sums for Maths.

I will still outsource as I think it ruin my relationship with her when I was driving her to study for exam. So I rather maintain a better relationship than I driver her nuts and she drive me up the wall.

Bebe75: Yup. I will be signing up at United Sq's outlet cos nearer to my place and easier for my mum to bring him there esp since my office working hrs have changed to start at 8.30am.

For non-academic, I will be signing him up for Arts & Crafts class but have yet to look around. Have also signed him up for some weekend workshop to ve fun
happy.gif

natellehcim: My hubby bought my WII from Japan last yr.It is apparently cheaper as what he told me. Most of our games and applicators were bought from Japan when we went for holidays last yr.

It is quite fun as the whole family can play together.

My hubby is currently using the WII Fit to excerise :p

hi avriff, in SIN guess the Korean set is almost same price as well. But come to think of it, I hardly have time to play w them worr... for I'm working and by the time home, they are glued to their TV programmes liao. Neither will I be able to sign them for classes for weekdays, for it will be troublesome for my MIL to bring them to the nearby CCs.

me too 'outsource' the coaching, although I am able to coach them. I do not want to ruin the relationship and making them scare of studying. Throught outsource, the lessons will be more enjoyable for them and they will tend to absorb better than at home.

chicken little,
if i remember correctly,your kid is in NYPS? their past year papers are very challenging, so i think your girl did pretty well to secure band 1. congrats!!

RE holiday classes
my boy has been bugging me for classes. i took back a Community centre form and he ticked almost every available children's cookery lessons! faintz. for those science/math 3hr workshops conducted by Lollipops, any one has any experience?

Thanks Fz
I am looking at more of the mistake she made though she could have done it many many times.

Me too looking at more fun classes for my gal. I scare the next few holidays she wont get to enjoy much liao

Carol
should be because never hear anything about them moving. Call 65353809 to confirm ?

By the way, at yew tee point I thot I saw a kitty shop too. Then at harbour front there is also another shop. Nowadays I get my stuff from cakediy hong Kong

CL
I want to look see look see kitty stuff, esp earrings. My girl lost one melody earring when in P1 during swimming lesson. It cost $80.

Fz,
I let my kids attend a science workshop at cc before. it's qt waste of time bcos there are about 20 kids to 1 or 2 teachers. Those teachers dun look very qualified, maybe students who are working part time. I see my kids sit there looking bored cos 20 kids in a room. How to be hands on.

Caroline
oops. sorry. will look out for you. maybe isetan sanrio corner will have higher chance

Valerie,
You can join spree in BP. Or usually I order HKD 800 worth and they can deliver free to hotel in Hong Kong. Will tompang fren who goes there to bring back for me. Even if you do not have HKD 800 worth, can just pay HKD 50 which is SGD 10 for courier service.

Hi Maisydaisy - thanks for the feedback on the workshops organised by the CC. I was also contemplating to send my gals to those workshops (by Lollipops) in those cc...now I got to think twice.

Back