14mo not walking yet

sandralpc

My dd is 14mo... will only walk to things that interest her (e.g. she saw me open the fridge, will walk over to play with it). Tried using walking harness on her to build her confidence but she will cry v badly.
Many of my friends' kids are already walking by this age... some younger ones started even before reaching 1 yo. My dd started walking with support around 10mo and was able to walk stably with 1 hand holding onto my hand.. and had been like this till now. Last month she attempted to walk more (from point A to B) but has kinda stopped now.

Any advice or suggestions to get her to walk faster? TIA!

sandralpc, don't worry your dd will walk when she feels more ready and secure. my ds started walking without support at 19 months. he's 5yo now and still loves to hold our hands while walking. does she have any favourite toys or anything that catches her fancies? Perhaps by holding it and encouraging her to walk forward to take it from your hands may help her walk more independently?

Hihi... she don't really have a fav toy..I think she is so used to holding to my hand to walk... also think that my hse is pretty cramped with stuff.. hence she can move ard holding onto support hence no need to walk much to get to places that she wanna go

@sandralpc maybe you can explore bringing her to indoor playground that are not so crowded to see if it would interest her to walk around?

any idea if anything had trigger the little one not to continue her routine of walking from point A to B?

Thanks Kiernn.. will try to bring her to indoor playground to explore. No idea why she is not keen to walk from points to points. Maybe we force her too much? Now she will sit down and use her bum to move forward instead (she skipped the crawling stage... stood up with support at around 8mo)

hey @sandralpc .. uh, maybe just observe along the way. Sometimes it is the stages - they will focus on doing certain activities during certain periods. So maybe this period, she likes to train her bum and lower body. I think it is part of physical skills training, so just observe and encourage her .. :)

eh.. i heard that crawling is a good stage for some sort of developments. So she totally never crawl at all?

Don't force her ba.. I learnt that whatever the kids do, just encourage and get them to do better. This will strengthen them emotionally and physically. hee..

sandralpc
Each child develops at his/her own pace. Try not to compare. As long as she walks by 18 mths don't have to worry. She is developing in other areas...just that walking is not what she is developing now! Both my older boys walked at 15 months. Now my youngest is 11 mths but she is developing standing and cruising very slowly. Am trying not to be too concerned as well. For one thing..she talks faster than other babies.

Thanks mummy kiernn and sweatpea... guess I'm just anxious seeing most of her peers started walking already when she cruise around before them.
@Kiernn.. ya she totally din crawl... we were pretty concerned then but PD said it's ok. Can't force her too... she just don't crawl

yeah man.. dont worry, i think all's good. just monitor and be encouraging. :D
every parent is always anxious about all these milestones. ahhaha.

Thanks mummy kiernn for the suggestion.. brought her to indoor playground on Sunday... and she started walking last night! (She is 14.5mo now)
Not sure if it's a coincidence... or the playground really helps... thanks mummies for the encouragement!

Back