could it be ASD or just slow

Deadprawn

Hi everyone. My Son is 21 months now and we noticed some red flag for autism. We are just wondering if we should be worry? As his mum I am very worry and kind of getting paranoid on this as there’s no answer whether he is having ASD or now. We have been to child development unit the Pediatrician who access him told us it’s too early to tell if he has ASD and currently we are seeing a speech therapist for his speech delay... twice a month. We use to let him watch tv with phonics and nursery rhythm Everyday (approx 8hrs) But recently we had stop and reduce to less than 1 hr a day. He also goes to childcare from 9am to 5pm on mon to fri since July 2018.

Things he doesn’t do which is red flag for autism:
1) don’t call us papa or mama. Speech delay, know less than 3 words.
2) he doesn’t point at things he wants.
3) he doesn’t react to us when his name was called most of the time.

Things he does:
1) love playing peekaboo and will follow by using his hand to cover his face
2) he wave goodbye occasionally when he want to
3) he will bring toys to us or anything that he need help with.
4) he able to clap when we sing “if you happy and you know you clap your hand”
5) he also gave eye contact.
6) he likes to hold on to his fav car on one of his hand. But can do without it if we hide it.
7) he point at alphabet or numbers or fruits chart or animals in story books.
8) knows how to say “mum mum = food” and u understand mum mum is food.
9) flapping arms at random time

I really hope anyone can share we us. I have been reading up online and seeing video about ASD but is clueless. Sorry for the Long post. Thanks!

Last edited:

Hi Mummy! how is your treatment for your son? is there any improvement?
My 28mo son do not know to communicate with us. He does not know how to speak in sentence and he do not call us papa mama yet. He is attending chilcare from 9am to 5pm on mon to fri since May 2018. teacher feedback he is very frustrated in sch when he could not express himself when he want something and teacher do not know what he want. :(
But he is very clever in Alphabet A-Z, Number 1-20, all colours, Shape, Object.. he could read & say all the Alphabet A-Z, Number 1-20, all colours, Shape, Object. Except that he do not know how to talk/communicate with us.
I am intending to bring him to KKH and maybe refer us to Speech Therapy to check on him.

Hi Mummy! how is your treatment for your son? is there any improvement?
My 28mo son do not know to communicate with us. He does not know how to speak in sentence and he do not call us papa mama yet. He is attending chilcare from 9am to 5pm on mon to fri since May 2018. teacher feedback he is very frustrated in sch when he could not express himself when he want something and teacher do not know what he want. :(
But he is very clever in Alphabet A-Z, Number 1-20, all colours, Shape, Object.. he could read & say all the Alphabet A-Z, Number 1-20, all colours, Shape, Object. Except that he do not know how to talk/communicate with us.
I am intending to bring him to KKH and maybe refer us to Speech Therapy to check on him.

Hi Angelia,

I understand your feeling am also in the same situation except my boy doesn’t know abt or numbers (maybe he knows but I’m not sure). I would suggest you to go to polyclinic to get referral to Child development unit at NuH or KKH. We didn’t wait very long for the appointment to be scheduled. The price will also be much more affordable than you just walk in as private. So far we only went for one speech therapy session and is trying our best to follow what the therapist told us. So far after 3 weeks still not talking yet but he’s starting to have abit of interaction. Does your boy watch tv or play ipad at home? Did you ask the Teachers in school to help?

Hi Angelia,

I understand your feeling am also in the same situation except my boy doesn’t know abt or numbers (maybe he knows but I’m not sure). I would suggest you to go to polyclinic to get referral to Child development unit at NuH or KKH. We didn’t wait very long for the appointment to be scheduled. The price will also be much more affordable than you just walk in as private. So far we only went for one speech therapy session and is trying our best to follow what the therapist told us. So far after 3 weeks still not talking yet but he’s starting to have abit of interaction. Does your boy watch tv or play ipad at home? Did you ask the Teachers in school to help?

Hi Deadprawn, your son is went to KKH ? how long did u wait for your appointment? my son already have a doctor appointment with KKH 2 weeks later, so intend to ask the doctor to refer me to the Child development unit. Previous time i was walk in to the A&E as my son is sick, and is following up now with the doctor there. does this consider private? my son do not like to watch tv. ipad yes but dont watch for long maybe less than an hour during evening time. But before he enter sch last time, he watch ipad for longer time as he whole day at home BUT he learn alot of alphabet, colour number from youtube. he is a late talker, he only start talking alphabet, colour number etc after he turn 2 yo. Sch teacher is talking n interact with him everyday except that my boy do not know how to answer them. is there any specific way the sch can help except keep talking to him?

Hi everyone. My Son is 21 months now and we noticed some red flag for autism. We are just wondering if we should be worry? As his mum I am very worry and kind of getting paranoid on this as there’s no answer whether he is having ASD or now. We have been to child development unit the Pediatrician who access him told us it’s too early to tell if he has ASD and currently we are seeing a speech therapist for his speech delay... twice a month. We use to let him watch tv with phonics and nursery rhythm Everyday (approx 8hrs) But recently we had stop and reduce to less than 1 hr a day. He also goes to childcare from 9am to 5pm on mon to fri since July 2018.

Things he doesn’t do which is red flag for autism:
1) don’t call us papa or mama. Speech delay, know less than 3 words.
2) he doesn’t point at things he wants.
3) he doesn’t react to us when his name was called most of the time.

Things he does:
1) love playing peekaboo and will follow by using his hand to cover his face
2) he wave goodbye occasionally when he want to
3) he will bring toys to us or anything that he need help with.
4) he able to clap when we sing “if you happy and you know you clap your hand”
5) he also gave eye contact.
6) he likes to hold on to his fav car on one of his hand. But can do without it if we hide it.
7) he point at alphabet or numbers or fruits chart or animals in story books.
8) knows how to say “mum mum = food” and u understand mum mum is food.
9) flapping arms at random time

I really hope anyone can share we us. I have been reading up online and seeing video about ASD but is clueless. Sorry for the Long post. Thanks!

I feel you.. Mine also!! mine already hit 29 months.. speech delay too.. but was worried for ASD etc... Still under child development unit..

I feel you.. Mine also!! mine already hit 29 months.. speech delay too.. but was worried for ASD etc... Still under child development unit..

hi DoubleQ, can share with me what is your son symptom for his speech delay? As my son appointment with KKH Child development is in 23th Jan 2019. So during the long wait, we shall continue monitor his speech first.. i dont know does my 30mo boy consider as speech delay, as actually he can talk alot of word. BUT just that he do not know how to communicate with us like those normal conversation saying what he want, what he dont want. Answer yes or no to the thing he want or dont want. He only scream in frustration cause no one know what he want. He only babbling in his own language.

hi DoubleQ, can share with me what is your son symptom for his speech delay? As my son appointment with KKH Child development is in 23th Jan 2019. So during the long wait, we shall continue monitor his speech first.. i dont know does my 30mo boy consider as speech delay, as actually he can talk alot of word. BUT just that he do not know how to communicate with us like those normal conversation saying what he want, what he dont want. Answer yes or no to the thing he want or dont want. He only scream in frustration cause no one know what he want. He only babbling in his own language.
Hi... Sorry didnt login for quite sometime.

till today my son yet to speak. identify alphabets, number, shapes, colours are all fine... follow instruction too.. he also can sit and eye to eye if i talk to him when i ask to... but speech wise, no yet see any improvement. Few lesson with ST, but seems he focus more on playing the toys in that room rather than listening or follow what ST pronouncing.. so i am not sure whats next step.. cause if we prolong ST and still he focus on playing toys, i dont see why i need to continue bringing him to see ST.. cause the ST seems like talking and pronouncing on themself... i'm worried...

till today my son yet to speak. identify alphabets, number, shapes, colours are all fine... follow instruction too.. he also can sit and eye to eye if i talk to him when i ask to... but speech wise, no yet see any improvement. Few lesson with ST, but seems he focus more on playing the toys in that room rather than listening or follow what ST pronouncing.. so i am not sure whats next step.. cause if we prolong ST and still he focus on playing toys, i dont see why i need to continue bringing him to see ST.. cause the ST seems like talking and pronouncing on themself... i'm worried...

Hi, may i know what is ST? My son is with KKH Child Development. and have refer my son to attend the Early intervention class which is said to be very good for child development delay. Doctor at KKH is saying my son is 'suspected' of autism. Due to he have no communication skill now, poor eye contact. i do not know how they define autism CAUSE i feel my son is perfectly ok except lack of communication & eye contact with outsider. But doctor do not confirm now due to his young age. Yesterday went KKH for the follow up, i have told doctor my son recently there is improvement in him. but still we have to attend the early intervention as it will help in the development delay.
my son is turning 3yo next month. he can listen instruction well, He can sing he can talk everything every word, except do not know how to use the word to form into a sentence and communicate w people. But he will use action on the thing he want. His learning ability is very good as he can absorb his learning v fast.. So, i dont know what to expect now. My parent say last time their generation kid dont have such problem. our generation now, too much of such problem in kid. :(

Hi DoubleQ, I have a student who is also non-verbal, but he responds well to music. His parents tried ST with no result and they had the same feedback as you - the speech therapist will ask him to make certain sounds, or will try to move his mouth a certain way but with no measurable results. The parents decided to send him for music lessons with me because even though he doesn't speak, he will actually hum songs to himself in the correct pitch and rhythm. I use songs to teach him vocabulary and actions in my lessons.

Based on what you said about your son, it seems that his learning is fine. Just curious, is your son able to hum tunes that he has heard of before? If you hum a song and stop halfway, can he carry it on? I am keen to know more about your son's case, perhaps you can PM me?

Hi mummy,

I think Autism partnership offers a complimentary consultation. They are located along River Valley, they do ABA treatment for children with Autism. Perhaps you can email them to arrange for a free consultation to help you understand your child's situation better.

Hi mummies, I wonder what happened to your kids? Are they doing well? I have a 27 month old boy..who was doing very well..delveloping his milestones well..but lately I have started realising he doesn’t have much eye contact..likes to walk along the same distance..doesn’t say much words but can repeat words when we tell him to..also was very smart and cld recite alphabets, numbers and colours as early as 18 months..I have an appointments 3 months later but I am already gg crazy searching and reading..praying he isn’t..but there are some off signs..so worried

Hi mummies,

Happened to chance upon this thread. My older boy is currently 13 yrs old now. When he was 2 yrs old, he can only call papa. We were not very concerned till we went for the milestone checkups at the polyclinic. The nurses and doctors were concerned. His all-round development was late. For instance, he began walking when he was 18 mths.

So we were worried that he may have Global Delay Development or Autism. Tried booking an appointment with KKH. But the wait time was too long. As such, we went to a private speech therapist. We paid about $50/hr. (Mind you, that was 11 yrs ago). The therapist tried to get him to pronounce words. From the sessions, she tried to eliminate the other learning difficulties such as GDD and Autism. My son was able to maintain eye contact as well as perform some cognitive tasks. This sort of gave us some form of assurance. Nonetheless, the therapist is not trained to diagnose learning difficulties.

So we decided to send him to childcare. (When he was 2 yrs old, he was cared for by my parents. Being the only grandchild, they gave him everything he wants. He only needs to point and the toy is given to him). I began reading to him actively. He began to speak more. I was also grateful to the childcare teacher. They will not give him what he wants if he points - He will only get what he wants if he says it out. Even in childcare, he had difficulties interacting with other kids. He would only want to be around adults.

As parents, we would be worried. However, for some cases, what the the child needs may be just external stimuli.

Now that my son is 13 years, I would say he still speaks very little. But cognitively, he is alright and would have his weird methods for studying. (e.g he has a repertoire of pluck and play stories to answer a wide range of topics for his oral exam)

Hi mummies,

Happened to chance upon this thread. My older boy is currently 13 yrs old now. When he was 2 yrs old, he can only call papa. We were not very concerned till we went for the milestone checkups at the polyclinic. The nurses and doctors were concerned. His all-round development was late. For instance, he began walking when he was 18 mths.

So we were worried that he may have Global Delay Development or Autism. Tried booking an appointment with KKH. But the wait time was too long. As such, we went to a private speech therapist. We paid about $50/hr. (Mind you, that was 11 yrs ago). The therapist tried to get him to pronounce words. From the sessions, she tried to eliminate the other learning difficulties such as GDD and Autism. My son was able to maintain eye contact as well as perform some cognitive tasks. This sort of gave us some form of assurance. Nonetheless, the therapist is not trained to diagnose learning difficulties.

So we decided to send him to childcare. (When he was 2 yrs old, he was cared for by my parents. Being the only grandchild, they gave him everything he wants. He only needs to point and the toy is given to him). I began reading to him actively. He began to speak more. I was also grateful to the childcare teacher. They will not give him what he wants if he points - He will only get what he wants if he says it out. Even in childcare, he had difficulties interacting with other kids. He would only want to be around adults.

As parents, we would be worried. However, for some cases, what the the child needs may be just external stimuli.

Now that my son is 13 years, I would say he still speaks very little. But cognitively, he is alright and would have his weird methods for studying. (e.g he has a repertoire of pluck and play stories to answer a wide range of topics for his oral exam)

Hi mummy, that’s great..he is progressing well..so what’s his proper diagnosis? Speech therapy is super ex now, $150/hr. Haix. But then if it works why not..though my concern right now is his lack of eye contact and response to his name..

Hi mummy, that’s great..he is progressing well..so what’s his proper diagnosis? Speech therapy is super ex now, $150/hr. Haix. But then if it works why not..though my concern right now is his lack of eye contact and response to his name..
hi blissfullife - how is your son doing?

Back