IVF/ICSI Support Group

Actually luck or not, really depends on how positive you are. If you think that this doc can create miracles for you, you will succeed. If you half-heartedly feel that he should be ok, success is only 50-50.

Haha I was quite negative and had 0 expectation during my IUI, because I had only 1 egg maturing despite the jabs and success rate was fractioned. I am not sure, usually I don't get the things that I really wanted in life this was the most fortunate thing that happened so far...

Until now I look at my son I still feel unbelievable... maybe beginners' luck.

But right now, is a new fresh conquest again...lucky I can prep myself with tips and info here, not so blur like last time.

Me too, I was very skeptical about KKH - I thought only cheapskates go there (YES, I was damn bad! I realised my mistake) until I got a bad experience from Mount E (which initially I thought they should have the best docs and facilities). Usually for private docs, they are a one-man show. They scan, do everything for you and you feel that wow, it's so personalised. BUT, slowly you start to catch them constantly looking at the clock (consultation goes by blocks of minutes) and when you need to do to level 2 to do the blood tests and come up again or when you realised their ultrasound machines are not so advanced afterall and the worst is when things go wrong, they try to cover their mistakes with more mistakes and even charge you exorbitant prices for their errors. Ultimately, they have to take into consideration their rent, salaries to their assistants who doubled up as receptionists, as assistants, as pharmacists. So the focus is no longer the patient, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for all your inputs! I guess my choice is clear now! Yes I agree waiting time is very long... When they schedule you for tests and now then I know need to queue for IVF!

Actually u can bring ur records and test results to kkh and dont have to re-do the test. Unless they are past the 1yr timeline for bloodtest (6mths for hiv), then have to do again. Thats what i did when i switch gynae from tmc to kkh.
yes me too, @red.koi.junie you can bring your results, I also did that too. You have medisave right? can still use up to $6300 for IVF 1st try if you really keen to continue at private

Haha I was quite negative and had 0 expectation during my IUI, because I had only 1 egg maturing despite the jabs and success rate was fractioned. I am not sure, usually I don't get the things that I really wanted in life this was the most fortunate thing that happened so far...

Until now I look at my son I still feel unbelievable... maybe beginners' luck.

But right now, is a new fresh conquest again...lucky I can prep myself with tips and info here, not so blur like last time.

Ya, I think the ladies here who are here typing/reading away have that yearning of "when can I have my own children?" and when you really have your 1st kid(s), you will find it hard to believe that you actually created such a lovely human being albeit the tears, disappointments, jabs, waiting time etc.

Me too, I was very skeptical about KKH - I thought only cheapskates go there (YES, I was damn bad! I realised my mistake) until I got a bad experience from Mount E (which initially I thought they should have the best docs and facilities). Usually for private docs, they are a one-man show. They scan, do everything for you and you feel that wow, it's so personalised. BUT, slowly you start to catch them constantly looking at the clock (consultation goes by blocks of minutes) and when you need to do to level 2 to do the blood tests and come up again or when you realised their ultrasound machines are not so advanced afterall and the worst is when things go wrong, they try to cover their mistakes with more mistakes and even charge you exorbitant prices for their errors. Ultimately, they have to take into consideration their rent, salaries to their assistants who doubled up as receptionists, as assistants, as pharmacists. So the focus is no longer the patient, if you know what I mean.

hahahaha...IKR!! till now my hubs sometimes still give me the "See, i told u govt hospitals are good" kinda look lor! haha...but maybe it's also a matter of luck on the nurses/docs u meet there?

when did you did your cycle at Mount E? I did my cycle with LC and the lab is with mount E. The chief embryologist had a good look at my eggs, say it is SUPER difficult for me to get pregnant because my eggs are super weak. I was devastated. but KKH lab got me 2 grade 4 embryos this time . I was happy.

Thanks for all your inputs! I guess my choice is clear now! Yes I agree waiting time is very long... When they schedule you for tests and now then I know need to queue for IVF!
Ya, but one thing for sure is that they work like an assembly line, very structured, so the only thing that you can do is to wait and in the meantime maximise your chances by eating healthily!

hahahaha...IKR!! till now my hubs sometimes still give me the "See, i told u govt hospitals are good" kinda look lor! haha...but maybe it's also a matter of luck on the nurses/docs u meet there?
My hub also! He said "what for act atas and be a carrot head!" anyway, I have good experience with KKH, be it Clinic D, be it THH, be it Private Suite, Delivery Suite and the 1 bedder ward and the menu, so hope they don't disappoint me this time round.

when did you did your cycle at Mount E? I did my cycle with LC and the lab is with mount E. The chief embryologist had a good look at my eggs, say it is SUPER difficult for me to get pregnant because my eggs are super weak. I was devastated. but KKH lab got me 2 grade 4 embryos this time . I was happy.
I didn't do my IVF in Mt E. I got pregnant naturally under the "monitor the ovulation with hormone jabs" plan under Charles Lim.
His IVF treatment plan is very expensive. Based on the 2012 price plan, his charges were about S$16K plus.

For me when I decided to embark on this ivf journey, straight away i choose KKH. One thing is if coz of the subsidy & co fund. I have no preference of doc at that point of time as I feel it's a trial & error thing and depends on luck & timing. Plus doc doing the ivf procedure can't be tom dick or harry or be any intern or inexperience doc, definitely will be a professional to access and do the procedure for you. Another thing is if I managed to get preg, I may have complications and KKH has all the best facilities for premature babies or in any case of complications. True enough, I had complications during my 3rf tri & almost had my womb removed! Fortunately, my gynae John Tee saved my womb. He even charge me at subsidy rate and deliver for me even though I opt for subsidy ward Instead of private due to cost. I was admitted since week 28. So imagine if I opt for private ward my estimate bill from my stay till birth or for nicu stay for baby will be estimated abt 100k. But of I opt for the subsidy ward which is B1+ the estimates cost shrink to estimated 80k minus off the medisave deduction which we still have to folk out abt 40-50k. Fortunately, I managed to endure till week 36 so my total bill is abt 25k. Baby is healthy is able to stay in normal nursery. I did not folk out any cash for my bill as everything is subsidy & medisave deductable.
Honestly, without the govt subsidy & co fund, I don't know if i was able to take my first step out for this ivf journey.

Ya, I think the ladies here who are here typing/reading away have that yearning of "when can I have my own children?" and when you really have your 1st kid(s), you will find it hard to believe that you actually created such a lovely human being albeit the tears, disappointments, jabs, waiting time etc.

Ya can totally understand it now. All of you are warriors and heroines!

To add, I encourage all who are reading and contemplating ART to start early. I was 28 when I know I had problems and I was quite upset because I thought I was young. But sometimes we just can't control our fates. What we can do is seek help early, and ART success rates depend very much on our age.

For me when I decided to embark on this ivf journey, straight away i choose KKH. One thing is if coz of the subsidy & co fund. I have no preference of doc at that point of time as I feel it's a trial & error thing and depends on luck & timing. Plus doc doing the ivf procedure can't be tom dick or harry or be any intern or inexperience doc, definitely will be a professional to access and do the procedure for you. Another thing is if I managed to get preg, I may have complications and KKH has all the best facilities for premature babies or in any case of complications. True enough, I had complications during my 3rf tri & almost had my womb removed! Fortunately, my gynae John Tee saved my womb. He even charge me at subsidy rate and deliver for me even though I opt for subsidy ward Instead of private due to cost. I was admitted since week 28. So imagine if I opt for private ward my estimate bill from my stay till birth or for nicu stay for baby will be estimated abt 100k. But of I opt for the subsidy ward which is B1+ the estimates cost shrink to estimated 80k minus off the medisave deduction which we still have to folk out abt 40-50k. Fortunately, I managed to endure till week 36 so my total bill is abt 25k. Baby is healthy is able to stay in normal nursery. I did not folk out any cash for my bill as everything is subsidy & medisave deductable.
Honestly, without the govt subsidy & co fund, I don't know if i was able to take my first step out for this ivf journey.

Wow you was assigned to John tee! Lucky if you he was one of the head of department I think.

I had the same mindset as you when I took the first step, didn't regret it.

I didn't do my IVF in Mt E. I got pregnant naturally under the "monitor the ovulation with hormone jabs" plan under Charles Lim.
His IVF treatment plan is very expensive. Based on the 2012 price plan, his charges were about S$16K plus.

I was under Ah-Lim too!! But I failed a few rounds under his Plan B. And he did suggest we can consider laparoscopy to check the insides but we decided not to go ahead. I mean bo dai bo ji why go cut a few holes since my previous gyne also didn't say I've got endo or what though I've got PCOS and he gave me metformin for it. I duno the state of his clinic now but if it's still the same condition, he should really consider renovating. haha

I was under Ah-Lim too!! But I failed a few rounds under his Plan B. And he did suggest we can consider laparoscopy to check the insides but we decided not to go ahead. I mean bo dai bo ji why go cut a few holes since my previous gyne also didn't say I've got endo or what though I've got PCOS and he gave me metformin for it. I duno the state of his clinic now but if it's still the same condition, he should really consider renovating. haha
Hahaha...I struck under Plan A, but sway sway kenna ectopic. He didnt ask us to do any "spare part" checks before starting on his Plans. Aiya, everybody who seek his treatment ALL have PCOS and must eat metformin. I was one of them too :p

Wow you was assigned to John tee! Lucky if you he was one of the head of department I think.

I had the same mindset as you when I took the first step, didn't regret it.

Actually, I switch to John Tee (private) after I went to clinic C for my first scan upon getting preg. After that I book appt with him for my next follow up. My fertility doc is THH initially but he is so bz going on course that time (in 2012) that they refer my to Matthew Lau. He did the ER and ET for my my both cycles. Dr Veronique (the "african" lady but now no longer with KKH) did the protocol of the meds for me and access the follicles growth, lining, etc.

Hahaha...I struck under Plan A, but sway sway kenna ectopic. He didnt ask us to do any "spare part" checks before starting on his Plans. Aiya, everybody who seek his treatment ALL have PCOS and must eat metformin. I was one of them too :p

huh!! seriously?? oh to be fair, my previous gyne before him did diagnose the same thing la....just that ah-lim is very firm that pcos patients must take metformin. :rolleyes:

huh!! seriously?? oh to be fair, my previous gyne before him did diagnose the same thing la....just that ah-lim is very firm that pcos patients must take metformin. :rolleyes:
metformin is for diabetic patients, for your info, so I was cool about it cos it blocks sugar from entering the system (meaning to say, in a way it's like a carb blocker)

My friend who also succeeded under his Plan A was ALSO diagnosed with PCOS and was fed with metformin. She was the one who recommended me to him.

Metformin is his secret weapon. Pink colour is his lucky colour.

metformin is for diabetic patients, for your info, so I was cool about it cos it blocks sugar from entering the system (meaning to say, in a way it's like a carb blocker)

My friend who also succeeded under his Plan A was ALSO diagnosed with PCOS and was fed with metformin. She was the one who recommended me to him.

Metformin is his secret weapon. Pink colour is his lucky colour.

hahahaha and steamfish, porridge & soup are his fav food for lunch...cooked lovingly by his nurse! :p

Agree with goingcircles. Good to book ahead first. Maybe can book later if he needs more time to recover.

Maybe I discuss with my husband again. Because he was quite sick of waiting at kkh, esp during the cycle when I had to keep going for scans and etc.. I think he just want to do IUI once at TFC despite his low sperm count and that's it. I think he feel that IVF too invasive for me and no point for me to suffer because of his "fault".

Maybe I discuss with my husband again. Because he was quite sick of waiting at kkh, esp during the cycle when I had to keep going for scans and etc.. I think he just want to do IUI once at TFC despite his low sperm count and that's it. I think he feel that IVF too invasive for me and no point for me to suffer because of his "fault".

Yah maybe you discuss with him first. So far I find the waiting time quite ok for me as the longest I waited is abt 1hr plus unless the dr has delivery to handle or some urgent matters to attend, the waiting time will be longer. I observed your queue no is based on your appointment time, eg if your timing is 3.45pm, your q no will be 1545 behind. So usually, I will reach there are 10-15 mins earlier to avoid long waiting time.

Yah maybe you discuss with him first. So far I find the waiting time quite ok for me as the longest I waited is abt 1hr plus unless the dr has delivery to handle or some urgent matters to attend, the waiting time will be longer. I observed your queue no is based on your appointment time, eg if your timing is 3.45pm, your q no will be 1545 behind. So usually, I will reach there are 10-15 mins earlier to avoid long waiting time.

He find the going back to monitor when we start the cycle very troublesome. The scanning every 2-3 days part. Like basically camp at kkhivf centre...

He find the going back to monitor when we start the cycle very troublesome. The scanning every 2-3 days part. Like basically camp at kkhivf centre...

Yah I do agree on that part but it's part of the process to see if you response well to the japs & to monitor how your follicles are growing & lining thickness etc. You may find it 麻烦 but once you get bfp you will feel all these waiting time, injections, etc are worth it. If you don't try you will never knw if you can succeed. This is what I told my hubby to persuade him in this ivf journey. He got male issues plus I only left with 1 functional ovary due to my pass endometriosis history, so ivf is my only option. That's my penny of thoughts.

Actually, I switch to John Tee (private) after I went to clinic C for my first scan upon getting preg. After that I book appt with him for my next follow up. My fertility doc is THH initially but he is so bz going on course that time (in 2012) that they refer my to Matthew Lau. He did the ER and ET for my my both cycles. Dr Veronique (the "african" lady but now no longer with KKH) did the protocol of the meds for me and access the follicles growth, lining, etc.

@Goingcircles Dr Veronique is still with KK leh. Hehe, in fact, I saw her last mth after my 3rd ultrasound scan. Hehe. :D

@Goingcircles Dr Veronique is still with KK leh. Hehe, in fact, I saw her last mth after my 3rd ultrasound scan. Hehe. :D

Issit? Coz I did not see her or her name at clinic d so I thought she's no longer with KKH. I quite like her as she's quite positive even though the no of my follicles are lesser than we expected. She immediately change protocol for my 2nd cycle with ends up which good grades of embies.

Last edited:
Although my previous pregnancies are not IVF but i chose KKH private as well cos I had heard before about being able to downgrade and pay subsidized rates if there are complications for mother or baby and also they are big, they would have the best facilities even if they don't, they would refer you to other restructured hospitals. I chose John Tee as my gynae as well and he is so experienced. Also naturally I had my IVF done at KKH. Good to hear your experience and thanks for sharing it.

Actually the scans and reviews for monitoring are quite fast if u go early in the morning. I feel it's faster than seeing Dr Tan at Clinic D. Your hubby don't need to be there.

Although my previous pregnancies are not IVF but i chose KKH private as well cos I had heard before about being able to downgrade and pay subsidized rates if there are complications for mother or baby and also they are big, they would have the best facilities even if they don't, they would refer you to other restructured hospitals. I chose John Tee as my gynae as well and he is so experienced. Also naturally I had my IVF done at KKH. Good to hear your experience and thanks for sharing it.

Actually the scans and reviews for monitoring are quite fast if u go early in the morning. I feel it's faster than seeing Dr Tan at Clinic D. Your hubby don't need to be there.

Yes sometimes I go alone. But even though when I am there at 7:30, I sometimes can only finish the scan and collect medication (the pharmacy is a killer) at around 10, which is too late for me to return to work. So I took a lot of half days plus urgent leave. I didn't tell my boss so I was quite worried that she will be angry. But lucky I only have to go through once.

Yeah agree with the blood test part. When they call to tell me I am pregnant I was so shocked I could stand properly. I sound so shocked that the nurse actually double verified my nric...

Dhea can only be prescribed to a named patient, kkh do hv it but I heard is $40 per box. i got mine from iherbs. Alternatively, you can buy from GNC at JB, the name is called Wild Yam. This one is more of a TCM herbs.

Hi Sparkling_ee

May I ask you whether :
1) Is it safe to take DHEA?
2) What is the purpose of this medicine?

Thank you =)

Mrs Chan, you are so sweet. My hcg finally came down by a teeny weeny bit. From 2500 to 2400. Dr says its a good sign. I have to wait and bt again next week.
Glad to hear that!:)
At least it is coming down... I really hope this nightmare of your will end soon so that u can start a fresh. Meanwhile take good care ya. Jiayou jiayou

Last edited:
Hi Sparkling_ee

May I ask you whether :
1) Is it safe to take DHEA?
2) What is the purpose of this medicine?

Thank you =)
Hi babybaby, Dr Loh recommended this supplement to me since my first consultation last month. At first, I was hesitating whether to go ahead coz I read of some of the side effect like hair loss, acne and worse is hair growth on the face so scary...

This is a hornone pill to improve quality and quantity of our eggs. I just started for a month, luckily no above symptoms.

Hi babybaby, Dr Loh recommended this supplement to me since my first consultation last month. At first, I was hesitating whether to go ahead coz I read of some of the side effect like hair loss, acne and worse is hair growth on the face so scary...

This is a hornone pill to improve quality and quantity of our eggs. I just started for a month, luckily no above symptoms.

Thank you for the information, Sparkling_ee! =)
All The Best to you in your ttc journey.

just got back from kkh 24 o&g clinic. had a positive beta on weds, 321. this morning started to have dark brown bleeding followed by bright red and rushed down to kkh. did another blood test, hcg was 1700+. but ultrasound couldn't detect pregnancy in uterus. had to go for further scans and still could not find pregnancy. doctor review and classified as pregnancy with unknown location. anyone ever had this? i have to come back again on tues for another blood test.

had an ectopic last nov after my first fresh cycle, resulting in removal of tube. this is my first frozen cycle, day 4 transfer.

feeling horrible. :( still have bleeding at home, think i might be miscarrying

Last edited:
just got back from kkh 24 o&g clinic. had a positive beta on weds, 321. this morning started to have dark brown bleeding followed by bright red and rushed down to kkh. did another blood test, hcg was 1700+. but ultrasound couldn't detect pregnancy in uterus. had to go for further scans and still could not find pregnancy. doctor review and classified as pregnancy with unknown location. anyone ever had this? i have to come back again on tues for another blood test.

had an ectopic last nov after my first fresh cycle, resulting in removal of tube. this is my first frozen cycle, day 4 transfer.

feeling horrible. :( still have bleeding at home, think i might be miscarrying
Sounds abit like me now but my hcg was much lower. I still can't find my pregnancy since March 24 beta then had bleeding and scans showed nothing too. Had the MTX jab on 2 April to stop the pregnancy ectopic still not ruled out. Hcg was 580 when injected. I also went for detailed scan and nothing showed up still on 7 April as hcg rose after my jab.

Sounds abit like me now but my hcg was much lower. I still can't find my pregnancy since March 24 beta then had bleeding and scans showed nothing too. Had the MTX jab on 2 April to stop the pregnancy ectopic still not ruled out. Hcg was 580 when injected. I also went for detailed scan and nothing showed up still on 7 April as hcg rose after my jab.

do you have continuous bleeding? kkh just called me to come down again for another scan at the diagnostic imaging clinic. :(

how are you now?
I went to KKH on sat to repeat beta, it dropped by 100. from 2500+ to 2400... not say damn fantastic but doc is happy that it even dropped. So this week i have to go in and check beta again. Dont know gana poked how many times liao. I have to ensure the HCG keeps dropping.... otherwise i will be in trouble anyhow.

As of last Thursday, no sac seen still. Ghost pregnancy or ectopic :eek:

I went to KKH on sat to repeat beta, it dropped by 100. from 2500+ to 2400... not say damn fantastic but doc is happy that it even dropped. So this week i have to go in and check beta again. Dont know gana poked how many times liao. I have to ensure the HCG keeps dropping.... otherwise i will be in trouble anyhow.

As of last Thursday, no sac seen still. Ghost pregnancy or ectopic :eek:

wah your HCG went up to 2500? my bleeding now is like AF, with cramping. hope if miscarry will miscarry naturally, don't wish for another ectopic. very strange to have this pregnancy of unknown location/ghost pregnancy. cause by the levels of HCG should be able to see through scan right. i don't know if i want to go for the repeat beta tomorrow.

Back