- This event has passed.
Doraemon’s Time-Travelling Adventures in Singapore
Sat Oct 31 @ 10:00 am – Sun Dec 27 @ 7:00 pm
Embark on an exciting time-travelling adventure with Doraemon, the lovable robot cat, and the National Museum of Singapore (NMS)! Come and explore stories of Singapore through fascinating artefacts in the museum’s galleries and the museum’s National Collection.
This year is the 50th Anniversary of the much-loved manga character Doraemon, a yellow robot cat starred in the Japanese animated television series of the same name.
Doraemon’s story began when he ‘lost’ his ears one day after a clay maker, Sewashi-san, instructed his robot mouse to bite a part of Doraemon’s clay ears in order to create a three-dimensional effect on the clay model of the robot cat.
However, the mouse robot misinterpreted Sewashi-san’s instructions, and ended up eating one of Doraemon’s ears instead. Since the incident, Doraemon has been fearful of mice.
Things took a turn for the worse when Doraemon was rushed to the Robot Hospital, only to have his ears accidentally removed by the doctor.
Doraemon’s lover, Noramyako, a robot cat, was very amused by Doraemon’s missing ears. This made Doraemon sad, so he tried to cheer himself up by drinking the happiness drug. Unfortunately he mistakenly drank the sadness drug by mistake! Doraemon cried and felt sad for three days and three nights. His endless crying resulted in the fading of the colour of his body, which turned blue, and caused his voice to turn coarse.
Doraemon then travelled backed in time with Sewashi, the great-great-grandchild of Nobita Nobi, in a bid to save Nobita from the difficult situations he faces every day. Doraemon befriended Nobita and helped him navigate life’s challenges by retrieving sophisticated gadgets from his Magic Pocket. Although Doraemon’s help often ended catastrophically, their adventures often imparted moral values that viewers can learn from.
Celebrate Doraemon at the National Museum of Singapore with these activities:
- Photo opportunities: travel around the museum to find photo spots with Doraemon!
- Gadgets of the past and the future: did you know Singapore once sold and even produced household and personal gadgets that boasted futuristic designs and features? Explore some popular gadgets that were used in the past, some of which were ahead of their time and are still fascinating today!
- Let’s Jalan-Jalan!: discover lesser-known stories of Singapore’s neighbourhoods through an online islandwide scavenger hunt and stand a chance to win exclusive NMS Doraemon Singapore-themed collectibles.
- Redesign an Artefact: try your hand at designing your own gadget, based on real artefacts displayed at the National Museum of Singapore!
- Collect NMS Doraemon Singapore-themed Collectibles: specially designed by Supermama, these limited edition collectibles are based on iconic objects that were commonly used in many Singaporean homes back in the 1970s to the 1990s.