ADVICE NEEDED - How to Handle my MAID

sunshine,
welcome.
happy.gif

zenn,
my current arrangements is for the maid to arrive in sg on a weekday. she goes for a few days of training n i pick her up on sat.
happy.gif

<font color="ff6000">och</font>, according to the agency the maid usually arrive on mon. the maid will need to go for training n check up and one day training by them. unless i wanna pick her on sat, if not i can leave her there few more days for training.

btw i m tryin to set hse rule. anythin else which i ve missed out :

- No off day
- Cannot tell lies
- Cannot bring anybody home
- Must ask if dont know
- Salary credited in bank

NO HANDPHONE

No using of your housephone and people calling from outside,regardless its relatives or what so ever. If urgent, asked her called in the agency. I think should be this way till you trust her....

Do not talk to other maid...

Observe her for at least 6 mths or more

zenn, is ur maid ex-sin? she doesn't need to take the english exam? so good! mine has to allocate 3 days to passing her exam. agent called this morning to say my maid will most likely arrive on sat. i will pick her up next sat.

thanks joy!! errr, my sis has a maid too. u mean whenever they meet they cannot talk too?

also, do u gals allow ur maid to call home?

och, no she need to take the test too. wow urs so fast ya

I allowed my maid to call home when she was at my house initially. Big mistakes. Her friend in singapore will leave the number with her mum in indo and will ask my maid to call them when she call home or will get my house number via her mum...So, do not want much complication, best is not to let them know your house number too...Maybe just the agency number..I received so many calls from her friends till I need to change number

Try not to let them talk, just tell them the other maid's madam does not like it...

joy,
was ur maid ex-sin? she had friends here?!

zenn,
i allowed my previous maid to call home. she pays for the phone card herself. (edited to add: but she doesn't have friends here initially)

Yap, she is ex sin. At time, even not ex sin, the relatives in singapore will start to make contact just to make sure they are not bully by the employer.

hey Zenn

Before I employed my maid, the agency told me that she's experienced in handling newborn. When I interviewed her, I realised that apart from her own son, she only had experience in handling one other bb. I was quite disappointed. Anyway, I still took her because she could speak English quite fluently.

I also realised that she was not so careful about my bb's neck. I had to remind her abt this. Dun believe what the agency told you. Train her yourself!

On the first day, I sat her down with my hubby and went through with her her job scope and our expectations.

Dop u allow your maid to use the handphone? My maid uses the handphone quite often. So far, she's been doing her duties quite well. What should I do? I just hope she doesnt go overboard.

Hi och and missk,

Thanks for sharing! Did you translate the job scope and hse rules to malay cos even if we show her, she wont understand rite? Also, necessary to get her to sign on it?

missk

You just have to monitor her.When we starts something, its hard to stop it. Best to start right from the start. Like me, not knowing allowing her to call home using home connect card via my home phone can give me headache...but I learned...yet I cannot say NO if she wanna use my phone to call...we all learned and be smarter each time...

Don't know, hard to find maid to have discipline with hp usage unless we do not see....As it is, chatting interesting thing with friends is more fun than working right?

joy,
somehow, i find friends a lot more distracting than relatives. all my mum's previous maids can spend hours chatting with their friends, but spend only a few minutes chatting with their aunties.

zenn,
i don't type out the routine for indon maid, cos i'm not even sure if she can understand me. i describe the routine n rules to her and ask her write it down in her notebook. if i suspect she doesn't understand me, i will ask her to read out what she wrote abt the rules n routine. only when i suspect there's clearly a miscomm do i get someone (e.g. the agent) to describe the work in malay for her.

yah .. i really dunno how to tell her that I would like her to stop using the hp. In the first place, I didnt expect her to have a HP.

My concern is her usage when I go back to work. There's nobody at home most of the time. Will she use the hp instead of taking care of my son?

I was advised by my fren to install a CCTV. She said that it's necessary. I am very interested yet at the same time, I am afraid to offend her. Haiz!

Good morning!

<font color="ff6000">och</font>, i also worried she wont b able to understand so wondering to get my frien to translate to malay.

<font color="119911">missk</font>, my gf also mentioned abt webcam. still considering

<font color="0000ff">sunshine</font>, sinar at balestier? think i went there b4 but didnt engage their service.

missk,
i'm also quite worried that my maid will hv a hp. my late grandma-in-law had a maid who spent a lot of time on the hp when her bosses (my uncle-in-law n wife). when i visited grandma in hospital, i saw her shoving food into grandma's mouth instead of feeding her properly, cos she din want to stop chatting n had only 1 hand free.

how many cctv will u be installing? i understand cctv is not cheap. n some pple told me it's ok for monitoring if the maid sneaks out, but not that great for monitoring a maid taking care of a child who is mobile, cos the cctv cannot cover the whole house.

zenn,
i thot u hired a maid who can speak english?

Hi zenn,

Ya, sinar has a branch in balestier, and the other 2 branch at Woodlands and Jurong. Wonder how's their service and whether they are reliable. I would think that a reliable agency is equally important when hiring a maid.

Re : Recommendable/Blacklisted Maid Agency
Anyone has good agency to recommend or blacklisted agency to avoid. Kindly PM me if possible. Thanks alot.
happy.gif

Do you allow your helper to make friend? My helper has no off day but she manage to make friend with another helper. She met this helper downstairs when she accompany my girl to wait for the schoolbus everyday.

Also how will u handle misunderstanding between mum and helper. My mum dislike my helper. She finds her lazy and selfish. Mum always complain she has got no initiative. And the item is still greasy after cleaning (she din put effort to clean up). Few days ago, I found washed sticker label on my boy's shirt. My helper simply let my boy wear the shirt and wash it after that blindly without checking for details. She never check for details whenever a chore is given and according to my mum never put "heart" to do a chore.

How to tackle such problems? My mum is a clean freak so all these nitty gritty is a nuisance to her.

My maid has to handle my 2 kids (2yo and 7mo), so I don't expect the place to be glittering clean but my mum think otherwise. Anyone any advise?

hi babycutie,
my previous maid it's just like your current maid. my mum and dad also dislike her. she doesnt put heart to do her task. just do it for the sake of doing it. can tell that she doesnt even like baby. i have decided to change her. my current maid is so much better.

i get my maid from my fren recommended agency. i can't remember what is the agency name. that's good that she likes bb. i think it's very impt. At least, she will put her heart in taking of your kids.

a little difficult to manage your mum's expectation of the maid. hmm...

Advice needed: We intend to let the maid who is coming in soon sleep in our storeroom. The room is rather big but we have placed some boxes of our stuff against the wall, stacked almost to the ceiling, but no danger of these toppling down. The room should be well ventilated as it has window. Her bed will be put beside these boxes. We will provide her with her cabinet for her own things also. The iron and ironing board, new toilet rolls and tissue boxes will also be in that room. Anyone can advice if we are too unreasonable about it? As, there is really no other place we can let her sleep. We still need the storage place for our things.

Talking abt sleeping area, I will be havin maid + confinement lady during my confinement. However, I only ve one bed. Issit ok to ask the maid to sleep on mattress for the 1 mth?

HI gals

for those who employed a maid, do u allow ur maid to keep the work permit or u keep for her? My maid wants to keep it herself? What do u gals think. Of course we keep her passport, but not too sure abt the work permit? pls advise

hi firefly,
do u give your maid off day? if so, maybe she will need the work permit. if not, dun think she will need. that's what my agent told me.

hi zenn
I saw u r also hiring a maid plus confinement lady. My hubby says no need for confinement as the maid can do the cooking as well.

I also dilemna whether to get a fresh or experienced maid.

ANyone can advise. Thank

Hi <font color="ff6000">emma</font>,

thats what I thought initiallyt too but personally me n my hb has no exp in taking care of new born bb so we decided to spend the $$$ on CL. Beside the maid, you have someone else helping you during the confinement? eg, ur mum or MIL cooking and taking care of bb while maid doin cleaning n the rest? If so it should be fine. Cos no matter how exp is the maid, they may not know how to really cook confinement food and handle new born bb.

yah ..i think the maid and the CL play different roles. The maid may not practise what we do for confinement. For instance, Indonesian mothers put honey on babies' lips. I dun like that because we are not supposed to feed bb honey till they are one year old.

The CL probably knows better how to look after the mother and the new born baby. It's a really good chance for the maid to learn something.

Zenn

Just something wanna share with you.Have friends who hired maid and confinement lady.Good thing is maid can learn from cl if she is good...Bad thing is some cl tends to be very lazy and pushed everything for the maid to do...so, its better that you spelled the role clearly....

Its quite sad to read some of the stuff written here about the rules we should set our maids...no wonder maids prefer to work for ang-mohs than for singaporean households.

No off days? How would you feel if your boss told you to work 365 days 18 hours a day?
Do not talk to other maids? Yes, its true that when they start talking, they will start exchanging notes or be distracted etc. But we cannot really forbid someone from talking. How would you feel if your boss forbade you to speak to your fellow workers?

I think we need to treat the maid like a human being if we want to be respected as an employer. I know that sometimes kindness are taken advantage of and they start to 'climb all over you'. Then its time to change. Setting the limits is very important I guess, but at the same time, we need to respect the fact the other person is an employee and not a slave.

Having said all that, I believe that managing a maid in the home is not an easy task at all. I have had to change mine myself and I have become 'stricter' with the second one, learning from my lessons from the first one. But nonetheless, I think we should still remain fair.

Joyce

Well said....

My maid makes no friend here and her only friend is me. I spent time talking and educate her and she appreciate it...When I talked to her, I know I am not off track....Can understand why employer does not allow maid talked to other maid as really its the quality of the conversation that is concerned and esp with maid that is easily influenced that worried the employer the most....

I guess no off days that preferred by employer also due to the bond that employer needs to pay should anything happened to the maid.....

Agreed, we all learnt, esp dealing with different maids when have hired that many maids....

Hi all,

Need some advice.

My maid wanted to send money home. I was thinking to retain $500 as deposit and only give back to her when she had finish her 2 years contract. Is this amount sufficient? My mum ask me to retain $600. Should I retain $650 whereby $50 is her pocket $$ in case she wants to buy things.

Any opinion? This is the first time I encounter maid requesting to send $$ home.

BTW, can someone advise me how do we transmit $$ from Singapore to Indonesia? My maid said she has her brother's bank acct #.

Hi babycutie,
You can go to POSB remittance centre at Lucky Plaza, i think its at the 3rd storey. just need to give them your details and it cost abt $15per remittance.(cant remember exact fee)

Hi babycutie,

You can go to SingPost to send remittance thru' Western Union at $12 per transaction. And the marvellous thing is that the money can be received within 15 minutes if the person over at Indo goes to the agent of Western Union to collect.
I also got to know abt this today.

purplebear,
Thank you. I have 2 choices - POSB remittance centre and SingPost.

I also had a friend who get the agent over to our place for the transaction.

Should we indicate our name or the helper's name as remitter? The helper has to be present for signature if she is the remitter right? So which is better?

Hi mummies,

For my maid, I use GPL remittance at golden mile. Charges are between S$6 to S$15. Cheaper for frequent users. S$15 is for 1st timer. 1 day max for transfer. They can collect or U can do cheque drop / bank transfer to their co. account once u start a account with them. (Will be made on 1st visit)

After each remittance, u get a receipt. Make a copy of the receipt as proof of transaction in case ur maid play prank in future. I usually fax a copy to agent for their record too.

As for remitter, best to state ur maid name or the receiver can play prank and claim they never receive any money from the maid. (Even family members can be nasty when it comes to $$ issue). U can sign for maid behalf. Its juz acknowledgement. Not to worry.

As for amt to retain. S$500 is a good amt. Enough to cover the airtix in case she returns before contract expires.

Forgot to mention.

Remittance would require :

Bank a/c of receipant.
Name of receipant.
Address of receipant.
Exact bank branch (Not requested normally, but as a safeguard)

Sendee name.
Sendee add.

The add and name of receipant is pretty impt. Coz my maid made a mistake in the a/c no she gave me. And the staff at GPL and indonesia bank took the trouble to find the correct a/c no using the name and address given. I was only informed when the correct a/c was located and $ transfered successfully. I was quite impressed with the service given.
happy.gif

hi everyone
I am still comtemplating which myanmar maid ..my mom wants someone older and I also dono what I want. I am still considering transfer maid or fresh maid. Anyone already chosen their myanmar maid?

By the way, do we pay for their airticket when they ask to return home or visit their family?

Linda Seah,

I worked in Beach Road and Golden Mile is very near. So u mean I have to go down personally to do the remittance?

Can I asked them over to my place to collect the cheque instead? <font color="0000ff">The maid will bear the remittance charges right?</font>

Do you have the contact for GPL remittance? Who do you contact? Do you hve the full address also?

Thank you.

I hve request my maid to provide me the following:

Name of receipient
Address of receipient (Same as indicated in bank)
Contact no. oF recipient

Name of Bank
Address of Bank
Branch Name of Bank
Bank account number

Hi babycutie,

U can check their website for information.
http://www.gpl.com.sg/

For the 1st time, its best to go down personally. U can verify all information on the spot and they will issue a card to you. Thereafter, if u wanna remit, u can juz quote them ur information via phone and $$ can be bank transfered or collected (S$5 fee, i tink).

Linda,
Tks. Already done the remittance transaction on Friday. As I worked in Beach Road, it is more convenient for me to use GPL.

Thank to all who have given me suggestions. Really appreciate.

zenn,
aiyo, i also dunno what to say. her english is miles better than our previous maids, so she understands us v. quickly, n she had experience, so we don't really need to teach her how to do every task. but her quality of work is so-so only. now trying to think of a way to make her quality of work improve.

the most perplexing thing though is that she said she can eat pork wor.
uhoh.gif
can muslim indon eat pork? hm....

Back