ADVICE NEEDED - How to Handle my MAID

jo,
my maid steady right? some of her answers really stun me. i never met or heard of such a steady maid b4, n i hope nobody has to encounter someone so steady.

aiyo, i think u should send ur maid back asap. ur maid knows the laws here, so she dun tell u her decision directly n complain to agent first. din even mention the previous discussion abt houserules too. i think u should also show the agent the house rules that she wrote down, n keep a copy with u as well. that way, when u really hv to drink kopi with mom, that's evidence that the fallout was really bcos of house rules, not bcos of whatever reason the maid cooks up at the last minute.

ZENN

You are right...and you have to tell them which pail for what and which tower for what or they will use it all for the wrong reasons and you will get very angry...

zenn,
u should tell her explicitly that she needs to handwash. if u dun want her to mix her clothing with ur family, also let her know upon arrival.

och..

yes i pass a copy of the hse rules to the agency today.. they read n see nothing unreasonable at all. indo agent read my rules n spoke to her n she was kana f upside down. tml i will send her back to agent.. on the spot i will spend sometime there.. see how she kana f by spore agent.

she try to b funny oso no use. agent will protect us instead of them.. since $$ comes from us.

jo,
agent dun hv real power, it's mom that is more troublesome. a friend of a friend was prevented fr hiring a maid until she was cleared of abusing her maid. she din abuse lah, but those were false accusations that caused her great inconvenience, cos the home was maidless while waiting to be cleared?

enjoy the kopi with mom.

Hi Och, zann, jo and all

Bet all of you have read the "bank guarantee" for maids...I almost fainted when I read that...That means, maid can draw out all the money and buy things which I do not want them to have...like handphone??They can just run away with the money.....we are not protected this time.....

och..

i not scared if maid accused me of abusing her. i will volunter to bring her go get police report n oso medical report.. at the same time, i will say i lost a $50 n get police to check on her oso.. see who win lo.

joy,
yah i read that article. it doesn't mention atm cards leh, so i was wondering if the maids will hv full access to their bank accounts.

jo,
aiyo, i'm not saying u will get arrested lah. i'm saying it's an inconvenience if u r barred fr hiring a maid during the duration of investigations. it's very yuan wang, especially if u hv to work. everybody wants a maid to help them, but one devious maid can create a lot of havoc for the whole family, especially if mom goes overboard n bars u fr hiring a maid during investigations, like in my friend's friend's case. she had to look for alternative arrangements for her children, her whole family alternated taking leave etc.

och..

nah.. i dun hv to worri too much abt not being able to get a maid in. cos my sis n my siblings will b able to employ maid on my behalf. as we are all staying at different locations.

now, my maid wants to work for me again.

och..

yes will keep her for the time being n observe her performance. if she dun perform n wanna play punk.. the most i wait till after hari raya .. get new one in n kick her out.

just now, when i talk to her. she ask me not to get angry. she declare that she got hp. says that she will let me keep for her. onli give her when necessary. i m ok with that. she request to make a call home in every 1-2mths. i m fine.

but told her, she want time off or off days.. thats a no. what i can help her is.. she get her cousin to join us shld i bring her out for shopping. thats all i can do for her. no extra.

she agree to it. still i will go thru her stuff tml in the presence of my sis. get her to sign on the hserules. if she refuse, then she will still hv to go.

jo,
ur this new maid sounds like she is pretty smart. knows how to talk, give and take and even tell u not to b angry. well, i guess, she can b a gd maid if she 1 2, given her experience. she can also b a "give u hell maid". she is already so experienced so will know how to play punk. well, this is the dilemma we r facing with experience maids. u appreciate their experience sometimes, but there r occasions where they try to b funny as well.

dramaqueen..

somehow i regretted something. i shld hv taken her cousin that time. i interviewed both of them over the phone. just duno why i chose her. her cousin is so much smarter than my maid. write very good english, know how to speak good english, chinese n she even took accounting course b4 too.

well i guess everything is fated.

nevertheless, after my talk wiht my maid today gg thru her things.. she declare all that she hv n she sign on the hse rules. onli after that she talk to me much openli.. in fact, she is onli 21 instead of 25. but we are ok with that as long as she does her work well. age doesnt matter to us.

dramaqueen..

in fact, i told her say my family members all like her n she is the onli maid that i gave chance once. the rest, once mistake done or try to bargain anything. out they go. we just see that cos she is good. told her if hse does her work well, my plan is to keep her for abt 4yrs. by then my boys wld hv grow up. she wants to go back to see her family for 2 weeks.. i will let her go in btn the renewable.

my sis told me say if she still want to carry on working for us... yet i dun need her oredi. she will keep her for my parents. oredi its as good as telling her her job is secure as long as she does her work well.

think abt it.. i can say i hv a good agent. he doesnt give me one whole stack of diodata to chose from. but instead, after telling him my criteria.. he just draw out 2 for me.. allow me to hv a phone interview n even gave me contact to call the ex employers.

very responsible agent n fast in giving me the maid i need. highly recommend.

Hi mummies

Can anyone share their maid's schedule of a day?
We are thinking of getting a maid for the first time. Not sure what is ok to expect n what not.

If u got schedule type out already can also PM me pls?
happy.gif

Thankyou. Thankyou. Thankyou.

hi all
do i need to provide her with a set of clothing when she just starts work with me? anyone provide uniform for the maid instead? thank

emma,
it depends on what she brings with her n what she is lacking. i dun provide uniform, so i will only buy if she doesn't hv sufficient t-shirts, shorts n pj.

anyone leave maid alone at home? I will be working and there will be no one to supervise her. I am only due in one month time..

What are the things I need to provide for her initially?? thank ...

Hi Emma,

My maid came two months before I deliver. I spent a weekend with her to go through the list of things need to do daily and weekly. She v free when me and hubby go to work so I had to constantly tell her this is temporary only and she need to practise work fast as later she will have many things to do when bb arrive. I sealed hse key in an envelope to monitor her movement when I not around. Provided her with enuf food and toiletries etc so no reason for her to get out of hse unless emergency. Passed her bb books to read about how to take care of bb and cookbook and english lang book to occupy her time. My maid committed a few mistakes worth noting. She too free kept helping herself to milo, biscuits and other food in the house vanished frightening fast. She too free 'investigated' my house drawers went through personal document and photos. She too bored sneaked out of house once. I suggest you must be v specific with the rules initially. Fortunately my maid quit doing all these after warning and she now proved a great help despite occasional fumble.

Hi ac,

I startedn this thread coz I was getting a maid for the first time too. If you look through the archives of this thread right at the beginning, some mothers had shared their schedule with me.

Good Luck!

hi
update on my new maid, she does not eat breakfast and very small appetite. Anyone with myanmar maid also have the same situation?

So far, she is hardworking, very quiet but cannot express herself well..

hi

need some advice on maid matter. I will be getting my mum to help me look after my bb when i start work after my confinement period. but my mum already looking after my sis bb. is it too much for the maid to handle 2 babies?

Hi mummies,

Any ladies here install spy cam in ur hses?? Tot of getting one.. need more info on that. Thanks in adv!
happy.gif

hi glad,

i installed a webcam and told my maid i want to see the baby so that she doesn't think i am spying on her. Of course that can't prevent her from going through our stuff since we can only see from one angle. Just that it can deter her from sneaking out of the house.

Spycam is quite expensive....especially if u are installing in bedrooms and living room.

HI mummies

there are so many post to follow up...

My first time employing maid. She will arrive in 1st week of Dec.

Me & hubby are the kind that will want to be best friend with my maid. Thus do not wish to be very firm with her. will only states some basic rules and not to restrict her in some of the things.

Do you think this is okie? any expreienced mummies want to share her point of view on this?

Another question....

Which is the cheapest way for maid to call home?
Buy phone card, apply IDD or wat..?

Thanks

babymilk..

pro n cons to the arrangement.. i guess depends very much on how ur maid is like.. i find its good to b firm to them for a start.. then slowly observe their character b4 u b more friend with her.

Hi all,

I will be getting a maid for my mum as she is looking after my baby but I will be registering the maid under my name cos my mum place do not have enough room to accomodate her and she has to stay w me at night. but i do know that MOM rules is such that we cannot let the maid work in home that is not the registering address. Anyone has done that and has a solution for this?

Hi Sassyger,

MOM rules do not allow the maid to work in home that is not the registering address. Try writing to them on your situation for advice.

Hi Jo,
Actually i was having headache on MOM rules of not allowing maid to work in my mom's place. After i made the post, i received MOM's reply. Now, I know what to do and how to arrange for the new maid.

Can I know how is your arrangement with the maid? What is she suppose to do in your mom's place and at your place? Do you have a roster for her or leave it flexi?

Which country is your maid from?

Thanks for your advice.

Michelle

my maid, an indonesian actualli stays permanently at my mum's place. thou my home is her registered address..

she onli comes back to my place once a week n cleans up everything in the hse.. as for my mum's place.. she did the everyday chores.

she is an ex-sin. i dun give her a roster to follow. cos i feel that everything comes adhoc esp when she got to help take care of my kids at my mum's place oso. she pick her duties as she goes along. now 1.5mths here with me.. she knows her duty very well. i dun hv to tell her wat to do unless its any other than wat she did daily.

Hi Jo,

How do you arrange that with your maid? Is it acceptable by MOM? I am asking cos I intend to do the same thing as you just that the maid stay with me at night from Monday to Sunday as my mum place has no room to accomodate her. I do not expect her to clean my house on weekday. Only on weekend. She will help my mum from Monday to Friday

sassyger..

hahah.. not acceptable by law. but no choice le.

my maid is aware that she has to do work in 2 hseholds b4 she agree to work for me oso. thats why her salary is $320, no off days. as long as she dun go gossip with other neighbouring maids.. n the maid's employers dun kaypoh oso.. complaining to MOM abt the violation.. everything will b covered.

even she knows that she got to clean up 2 hses.. she still very happy n does her work well. my place onli need cleaning once a week.. so its ok for her.

Hi Jo & michelle

My maid will arive in end Nov. Mine same case as yours...

The maid will stay with me every nite...day time, I will bring her over to aunt place to help to look after my boys.

This is what I intend to do:
-morning, help to mop the floor and wash babies bottels.
After that I will bring her over to aunt place for the whole day till I return at 7pm after work.
- Nite, the most wash some clothing and baby stuffs.
- Sat & Sun she will be with me the whole day at my own place, that is when I will ask her to wash toilet, clean cabinet, etc.

But the thing is that: I really hope she can do some basic things over at aunt place, like: wash dishes, sweeep & mop floor. Although her main role is to look after kids.

Should I tell her these infront of my agent? coz by law, she is not supose to do house chore ove rat aunt place.....

Your advise pls.

babymilk..

i suggest u tell agent that maid supposed to work at both place.. so that the maid wont think its easi job n at the end of the day.. if she smart enuff when u ask her to do etc.. she may tell u that in the first place u onli state take care bb n do hsework at ur hse which is onli once a week..

let them b aware that they hv alot of things to do than noting to do..

Babymilk,
I agree with Jo. You need to be firm in the beginning. UNderstand and know them in person gradually, before you give them any goodwill. I've learnt my lession thrice. My hb told me that I was too friendly towards them in the beginning. My maids would slacken in her work, and/or made many requests expecting that you'll say yes. My last maid even gave my home addy and tel no. to her relatives in Singapore before telling me, since I'm so lenient towards her. She got pple to call her at a specific time when I'm on the way to pick my dd up. Or make calls during my absence without telling me. Only admitted few days ago after some interrogations.

yup.. now that i m not working.. i dun tell my maid oso.. thou she stays at my mum's place most of the time. i will just appear suddenli for spotchecks on wat she is doing.. when i appear.. i just stand at the door quietly.. there was once she was sitting infront of the tv with my mum n son.. the mmt she saw me.. she dash straight to the kitchen n start to keep herself busy. hai

HI mummies,

I have just hire a new maid from philippines. She is here about 2 weeks already. Really make me vomit blood in the beginning cos I want her to take care of my bb but she is very slow. She has 2 young kids of her own but to me, she seems to have much less experience compared to me ( i am a 1st time mum). Aiyo, I almost raised my voice at her everytime when I see her slow slow in bathing my bb and feeding him. But then on the other hand, she is pretty good in housework chores.

I left her at my mum's place due to work, only fetch them in the evening. Told my mum to train her cos I really do not have the patient to do so. Whenever I see her doing things which is not what I expected, I become very upset. Must I really close one eye?

Now she is much better but like abt Jo and Sarah's mom said, need to be firm with maids else they will climb over yr head.

blessings..

hmm.. is urs a fresh maid? u may want to set timing for her to finish each individual tasks. if not, she may take her own sweet time n nothing much done at the end of the day.

Joy747,
Saw yr sms but no time to reply. Juz sent my maid away on Saturday. Gave outsiderS residing in Singapore my home no. and address. Get pple to call her when I'm not around and call pple without my permission. My bb disliked her even though she had been with us for 3 weeks. Her reaction was so strong as soon as the maid came near her.

Jo,
Went to yr agency, and told Delvin that u recommended me. Unfortunately, they do not have any transfer maids at the moment. I am looking for one urgently. Btw, your list of questions for the interview are so well thought out. Many Thanks..

Mummies,
Any reliable agencies to recommend?

sarah's mom..

i realised that they hardly hv any trf maids.. now that u hv oredi sent ur maid back.. who is taking care of ur kid? u probably wan to check with him if he has any suitable maids who can come in asap..

Hi,

Anyone's prev maid by the name of Titi Purwanti?
selected this maid recently and MOM pending approval as they suspect she is here before, but indicated as fresh maid, anyone encounter this name before let me know tks!

Back