(2013/01) Jan 2013

I also stop bfding too. Didn't have enough milk. So instead on total formula milk now. Yes, drink more water in between feeds help a lot. As long as his poo don't look hard, sure no problem. My baby poo also don't look hard. And I give her water every 2 hrs or so. My baby didn't poo one day, the nurse says is fine. I think if he doesn't poo for a week then may need to see dr. If 1 or 2 days should be fine. My baby is drinking Enfalac A+ so far her poo is fine, no constipation, so u may want to consider trying that.

Thanks for the advise..

I actually bought a tin of Enfalac A+ (Stage 1) last night for her to try..(prev on Similac)

Gave her about 2 night feeds (2hrs apart), and 1 morning feed till now (with BM in between) but still no poo yet...

Kinda worried cos without pooing, it's v hard for her to purge out the jaundice... sigh...

Thanks for the advise too..
Realized his poo is lesser and less watery now after switching to full fm. He managed to poo 1 small lump this morn, don't look hard. Shall continue to monitor and consider changing his fm once he finish this tin

Hi all
If I'm bf and kind of having sore throat , what can I take? Tried salt water, honey ... Those inflammation medicine can be taken??

Aspialle, baby cebtre says ok to take honey if BF. most impt get plenty of rest.

Anyone's baby is crying when they poop or fart? My baby cries till he is red in the face and takes a long time to stop. Quite distressing

Maddog,
Mine did, you can use tat as a que to try potty training. Read that its jus baby not yet used to the feeling of pooing and felt uncomfortable about pooing.

Maddog,
It's quite common, my no 1 also like that. My no 2 will be red in face but will not cry, depends on bb but sure uncomfortable. Now that my BM lesser so poo once a day only and initial poo is harder followed by softer ones

My PD actually recommends only Mamil Gold and S26 as he says they are the longest coy around & the rest are relatively new.. Just FYI ..
happy.gif

Serene
My #1 started with s26 and became a sumo. Then my hubby's auntie who is a registered nurse told us tat s26 will make bb fat so we change to enfa series. #2 taking enfa now too

My #1 and #2 are taking Mamil Gold till now.. #3 is on Similac though as I am on exclusive pumping for breast milk now.. Heard that Similac and S26 are closer to breast milk.. But, have been observing that after taking the expressed BM, baby seems to be reluctant in taking FM supplement immediately after that..

Might observe for a while and switch FM if necessary.. Cos my current supply is unable to meet baby's demand if he's on shorter intervals..

When I was still bf-ing, I supp with Nan fm, which is also said to be close to bm. My bb had no prob when I switch to fm immed after he finished the ebm in the same feed.

Joey, heard that Similac is sweet too..I wonder who has tasted all the milk to come to this conclusion. Tried to switch #1 to Similac but he end up constipated. So gotta stick to enfa.

Hello mommies,
Can you share how much milk your baby is drinking?
My confinement nanny is giving my 3 weeks old baby 150ml formulae milk.

MommyG,
150ml is a lot!!! Coz their tummy capacity is quite small de. My 5 week old boy is drinking 90-100ml every 2 hrs. At 3 weeks would be ard 100ml every 3 hrs or so wor. IMO it is better to feed less and more frequent rather than overfeed too much less frequently. Furthermore fm more diff to digest so shouldn't overfeed. Does your little one show any signs of discomfort during and after feeding eg vomit?

Hi mommy g,

My girl is 1 mth 10 days old now, I can hardly know how much she drink because she refused to continue after drinking 60/ 80ml, sometimes can finished 110ml. Do I have to worry? The left over will be wasted..
Btw, my girl drink 100-110ml when she is 3weeks old.

Chui Yi,
I will keep the leftover for no more than an hour to let my boy drink. Usually he will want to drink about half an hour later after the feed and will finish the remaining during the second round. Btw, what is the interval of your feeding currently?

Sharon, it normal... all the hormones! its post natal hormonal changes. you'll burst out crying for nothing or for anything. don't worry about too much. i cried buckets for my first child, 2nd child cried less, 3rd child, aiyoh, i think only once on discharge from hospital. most of the time, its the feeling of being overwhelmed.

MommyG, 150ml every how many hrs? my boy is drinking 120ml every 3hr now.. he's only 2.5 weeks old! he's a real guzzler. i can't keep up man. my mom (she's a midwife) says that as long as the baby has a good sleep/break after milk (3-4 hrs) and don't throw up, its ok. some babies just drink alot.

Mommydt, #1 & #2 was on ebm until 6-7 mths. #3 is supplements with Friso. both didn't like Similac, and #2 gets diarrhea when he took Similac.

aspialle, both hubby and i don't like the idea of a live-in maid. too many issues to handle and cost is so much now. i also like you, feel like a mad woman every time we're getting ready to go out and husband just need to prep himself. hah... anyway, we engaged a part-time cleaner since we had first child. once a week, 3hrs. does all the big item stuff like bathroom, kitchen, ironing, change bedsheets, windows, fan... and my husband mop floor daily and wash dishes, i cook (sometimes). so this worked out for us. i still have issues with washing bottles (urgh).

as for what to eat when sore throat, you can basically take anything when bf. honey and lozenges are fine. get medication from dr tell the dr you're breastfeeding. my dr gives lower dosage anti-biotics if breastfeeding.

need advice... i've bf for a week since birth but went back hospital for another surgery for 5 days after a week due to some complications. during that time, i couldn't express for at least 24hrs, and after that, ebm in hospital but had to discard for 48hrs. the whole thing was very disruptive to the ebm schedule. after discharging from hospital last week, my ebm was only 60ml every 4-5hrs and got lesser and lesser. yesterday i expressed 50ml after 24hrs! in between that time, had no urge to express and wasn't engorged. is this the end? any way to get back the bm? yesterday and today i tried latching on twice - baby latching is ok, but after suckling (until sleep), he drinks 120ml formula.

my previous 2 children were on full ebm for 6-7 mths, ya very successful, but also didn't have the hospital disruption. sigh.

Orchid,
My hubby dun like part time cleaner too. I cook at least 2 meals each day, he is the kind will want to have 3 dish 1 soup type, lucky he will help me wash dishes la. However I'm so busy now can't do everything perfect , yet at times he will pick this n that which I can't stand

Today went Tcm n my wrist got bandaged
Can't carry bb time being

O.0 Mummy G, 150ml is a lot for a 3 weeks old baby.. Every 3 hourly? Baby able to stomach everything? If yes, shld be ok.. My baby is drinking about 80-100ml every 2-3 hourly and he's 7 weeks old..

Mummy G,

My baby is 4 weeks and drinks 70-75ml per 2 hours.. I think it goes by the weight of your baby too? My baby is at 25 percentile so she is a small eater, though hungry almost exactly 2 hours, night abt 2.5 to 3 hrs.
I find this table very useful as a guide: http://www.best-breastpumps.com/Milk_Intake.htm

Was told as long as baby can burp after each feed and does not throw up too much milk, the amt is enough.

MummyG, my baby is 3 weeks old and drinks 125ml every 2-3hrs. She can't finish everything at one go but CL will make her drink the remaining after abt 20mins. Is that ok? Or shld I ask her to discard?

Haiz.. Baby don't drink we worry.. Drink too much we oso worry...

aspialle, i think u and hubby need a talk. if you feel that you can't cope and he's out at work, a part time cleaner is a great help for the stuff that needs more effort. at least some help instead of no help. and also cannot be too picky. if he wants to be picky, then he do it. i told my hubby that long time ago. we all have to be realistic.

My girl's birth rate was 3.55kg and PD told us that her feed at full month should be 120ml. Now she is drinking 150ml at 3 weeks. CL was there with me and I raised this to CL several times but her reply is '怎样?她喝不饱,不能睡' (can't sleep if baby is not full).

Bdmummy > it is very hard to burp my girl and takes very long. Usually she doesn't vomit the milk after every feed.

Chui Yi > once the milk is touched, I will let baby finish within an hour else we shd discard.

Orchid and Joey > it is 150ml every 2.5 to 3 hours.

Elp_mum > thanks for sharing the link!

Serene > you r so right. Don't drink we worry, drink too much also worry. *stressed*

My girl now at 4weeks is drinking 90ml fm every 3 hrs when CL is feeding her. But now after CL left yesterday, she seems to be drinking less (about 60-80ml every 3-4hrs) when I fed her and had the habit to stop half way and will not continue after that. i tried to burp her but she just look very shiok and doze off to sleep. Are there any way to make them finish their drink?

I also ended up wasting a lot of fm these days.

bdmummy,

My girl will drink at a interval of 1-3 hrs, she can sleep throughout. Like today, she drank 30ml at 1.30pm, woke up at 4plus for next feed (50ml). That is so little!! She seldom can finish the remaining milk. When my CL is still around, her intake is very persistent (100-110ml every 2-3 hours), now her feeding schedule is in a mess, haiz..

I am more worried on her health if this continue, maybe have to bring her to pd.

Any mummies latching on?

How long does baby suck and how often does he want to drink?

Mine wants to latch on all the time but only lasts 10 min before falling asleep. Worried that he is not getting enough

BM

I'm also having prob with dwindling bm supply.. Was able to express 200ml each time I pump.. But since yesterday, I could only get 50ml after a whole day...

Does that mean I have no more supply? This is my 1st kid.. Was still hoping to BF/EBM till at least 6mths or more..

But the dwindling supply is making me stressed up.. I'm taking the fenugreek (not sure spelt correctly) and also drinking soup etc but think the liquid came out as my waste instead...

Chui Yi,
Babies will not starve themselves so dun worry; it would be a concern only if baby is not well hydrated ie has less than 6 wet diapers a day.

Mommy G,
My boy also very hard to burp in fact most of the time we just try to carry him a but more upright after he finishes his milk and we no longer bother burping him, haha lazy mummy la, but he is ok w that lei
happy.gif

Maddog,
Nurses advised that minimum must latch on 15min. No max so long as bb wanna continue to latch, just need to ensure that u empty 1 breast first before offering the other so bb gets to drink the hind milk. Then for next feed an offer other side first.

Mummydt,
Did anything happen that cause sudden drop in supply? 50ml after whole day was after u pump at regularly throughout the day? For me I need to pump regularly to maintain supply, if stretch the interval longer than usual, initially will have more during the pump, but very quickly supply will 'adjust' and drop. u can try to continue to pump regularly so as to stimulate the supply. And try to relax and dun feel stressed coz that will also affect supply. Jia you!

Aspialle,
Hope your hand recovers soon! And hope your hubby can be more understanding after he is more hands on in helping u and realize it is not easy and u are already super woman!

Mummies,
Anyone of you using the new formula California Baby Calendula Cream? There are quite a few comments online that the new formula stings slightly and is not as effective, or will even cause rash. Any feedback? I hv only use the old formula for #1 before and it is good. Used it on did recently and the rash on his face got better after a day of application. But stock is running so low and am still considering if should get the new formulated cream.

Maddog > I am latching on during daytime. Frequency = on demand. Sometimes it is comfort feed. Anyway my BM is not enough so always has to top up with FM.
Each time baby suckles 15 mins each side. If she falls asleep, I will put her down and usually she will wake up and we continue.
When baby is hungry, her suckle is more forceful. if it is only for comfort, her sucking is more gentle.

Mummydt > Try to relax and don't stress. Stress and lack of rest/sleep will affect BM supply. Keep the fluids coming.

Aspialle > hope you get well soon. Take care!

Bdmummy n mommyg
Thanks!
I try to let hubby do the work since doc ask me not to use or move my injured hand, a gd chance to rest !

Today is the first day my elder son goes to student care, hope he can adapt. My hubby will be returning to work soon after his leave ends, I will need to take care of bb alone. If my elder son can adapt then I have more time to rest.

I realised sometimes my bb just want to sleep, so he won't cry for milk even after 4 hrs, I have to wake him to drink milk if its day time. Any1 faces the same?

Aspialle,
So far it is my bb who wakes me up or reminds me of he wants milk! He will drink on cue like clockwork every 2 hrs. Only at night will 1 or 2 feeds stretch to 3-4 hrs when he sleeps soundly. Great that u are able to hv more rest!
happy.gif

I'm now at Kkh children surgery centre , got a shock when I reach here. At first also don't understand y need to come to surgery centre as nobody told us if there is anything wrong with bb. At registration then nurse says gynae shld explain to us what's wrong. We have no idea what's wrong with bb n is frightening to wait in doubt

Joey n chin
The doc says his testicles is one higher than the other, there is little water surrounding it. Sometimes the water can be absorbed as time passes, need to bring bb to review 6 months later, sometimes the testicles can shift down on its own

Aspialle, i think this condition is called "undescended testicles"? I've read before that it happens to some baby boys. Maybe you can google to find out more about this.

Aspialle,
Hugs! My #1 also had the same review at the KKH surgery centre before and he needs another review again in May 13. Usually the testicle will descend to scrotum over time, worst case if op, op is supposed to be considered minor, so dun worry ao much now as things are beyond our control currently - stay positive ok! Btw who is the pd, how come never explain properly lei?

bdmummy, the new California Baby calendula cream is not good. I'm also using the new calendula shampoo and it stings unlike the old formula. I've switched to sebamed baby lotion and it is milder.

Back