2007 Buangkok Mom??

true true! now gals are the more hands on ones.. rite?!? but still, must get them or teach them to do HOUSEWORK! its horrible!

moral of the story, if they expect us to work, then they must share housework. my hb can cook, but I can't. only wash dishes. hahaha

may,
i saw my friendly neighbors on sunday =D
we went to find our contractor to finalise ... and our neighbors (the uncle/aunty) invited us to their hse to look c look c ... she complains its hot wor ...

really? i think its the same aunty n uncle i told u the other time!
its hot lor.. i think the building blocked the wind ba.. i jus buy a standing fan.. else can sauna inside lor..haha

was tinking of installing ceiling fans coz scared stand fans not safe with a bb ard ...
but my HB says i worry too much =P and he says there are fan covers ard wich makes fans more safe ...

hi slimz, u may want to think twice abt having a ceiling fan. i'm currently staying with my in laws who has a ceiling fan and too many a time, visitors will play with ds and carry him high high up (stretch out and up the arms). despite our advanced warnings, they tend to forget and carry him that way once playing starts. luckily, so far nothing has happened as the "high high up" were not played directly under the fan and we have stop using the fan when visitor pops by.

i think standing fan with cover is still safer...

Agree. HDB ceiling height quite low for ceiling fan. The other option will be those verticle standing type, but the wind not as strong as the traditional standing fan. Must train children from young not be too close to electronic products. Buy socket cover to protect when not in use.

yup.. too low lor... my boy also likes to touch the standing fan.. fiddle wif the buttons etc.. headache.. but i think should be fine de ba...

children's safety is most impt. my son just fell down from new sofa & mattress yesterday. learning the hard way. he wants to stay at the new house today. going over w baby later again.

anyone else moved in?

may, i was there on friday afternon n saturday morning!
friday collected keys ... sat went to check the flat for defects ... ve identified some hollow tiles in the rooms .. other dan that noting major le .. duno issit we duno how to chk .. hahaa... the ceramic tiles all seems ok..

haha.. slimz.. same lor.. we dun knw how to check and jus say aiya.. everything ok! haha.. anyway, u starting renov soon?? can mit some day...

we ve found some hollow tiles in the rooms so HDB will take 2 weeks to re-do them plus do a last vanish on the room tiles ..
will start reno once HDB defects OK-ed..
anyway we are gg down this weekend meet contractor to c designs ..cant rem sat or sunday .. hmmm..haaa... update u again once i rem wich day =P

haaa.. ya ya ... was there tis afternon .. my reno oso gg start on coming monday ...
shld b done w/in 3-4weeks .. =D

hihi.. i also went jus nw in the noon wif my mum n boy!
hey slimz! u r going to b my neighbour v v v v the soon!!

yeah =D
the NTUC & 2 foodcourts etc etc .. has made my HB veri proud of our "Good investment"
haaaaaaaa

The rest of the shops should be opening by June. As compared to our place at Anchorvale, Buangkok is really a good investment with MRT and commercial facilities. We are waiting for the sports complex to open. Not much shops though...

We have been spending quite sometime at Buangkok these few weekends. Can plan to meet up when your reno finish. My children still not staying there yet cos quite noisy with neighbours still renovating.

Hello!
May I join u?
I am a SAHM, just staying across the rd from blk 270 carpark. Been waiting for the estate to be ready for the past yr so that I'll have more places to "explore" w my sons. They r 4.5yo & 10mo.

ya lor slimz.. my hubby think its a gd investment too... got 2 foodcourt ah.. i didnt knw leh... i tot only 1 kopitiam...
lately early morning can hear the renov work liao.. v loud.. sekali is slimz's flat renovating.. haha..

hi vamiga! welcome welcome!

it is called kopitiam city. heard ntuc also lease from kopitiam. that's y they have to open 24hr to break even. when u buy meat (anything with expiry date), rem to check properly. I think they reduce the price when the food is no longer fresh. if u r cooking immediately, can buy the offer frozen items. if u r buying to keep in ur freezer, then better not. shop n save business must be suffering with the coris crowd flocking to aspella...

ohhh... no wonder.. i was so excited to knw tat the ntuc operates 24hrs lor.. hohoho...
slimz.. when is ur renovating finishing??

shop n save at coris, facing punggol road. coffee shop there too. we always go there when we bring my son to the coris playground. aspella playground very small compared with coris though...

Every thurs, supermarkets will have weekly offer. so have to do some research to decide to buy from ntuc or shop n save

Thanks, May!

Finally saw the NTUC when i dropped hubby at MRT this a.m., so exciting! But other shops not ready yet hor? Some still waiting for rent.
Sigh!

How i wish it is closer to my place bcos v v hot 4 us to walk the 5-10min straight path during the day w/o shade unless walk under the flats.

Think i have to stick to taking the free shuttle bus to rivervale mall if i don't want to drive.
happy.gif

Was just telling hubby we have a new activity 4 weekends if didn't want to venture far. Just pop into those "showflats" to look at the latest designs by renovation contractors. Can c at least 5 welcome banners from my window. My maid was telling me got an unit has swirls like lollipop on its wall! So interesting!
hahaahaa...

may, i duno wen will end leh ... my contractor said within 3 weeks .. so i guess by 2nd week june ... still considering wan move in yet anot .. coz my HB is gg to be outstation overseas end june leh.. .. *pondering*

heee.. noisy reno huh .. shld b mine lah.. haaaa
u gg b home tis sat? we prob gg to pop by look c the progress.. ..

slimz.. haha..must b ur flat liao la! keke..
tis sat no worh.. bringing ayden to gymboree lor..after tat go gaigai..
ya.. better pop by often to see the progress.. at least still can hav last min changes...

banazz, inflation le. must stretch ur dollar.

slimz, must 'monitor' site progress cos they will ask u to pay a % at a certain stage. so make sure they really finish to the stage of work b4 they collect $ from u

Vamiga, the flats are really near. I can see the units at the opposite blk A. They have a toddler with many toys & a exercise bike. My ILs' favourite past time is to sit at the window and comment on people across the blk. tsk tsk tsk

Hi Wan,
Is it v warm? esp those units in the middle of the stretch?
Seems like > half the units' windows r North/N-W/NE & SW facing. Like that how to choose?

The windows & white paints r blinding us across the rd in the evening. So glaring!

Your description of in laws reminds me of those 30yo 3rm Bedok flats where i used to stay as a kid. We could look into each others' kitchens too. My fav post dinner past-time at window grills while mum washed dishes.
hahaha..

Hi Adeline,
R u still ard in this thread?
Just read fr archive that u intended to enrol ur son into Blk201A Faith Educare. U did it already?
My elder son was there when he was 2-4yo, until I become a SAHM after 2nd delivery. I won't recommend it to my friends hor. The std of teachers dropped over the years w v high turnover. My son had 8 English form teachers in N1 until i gave up tracking after the 5th. Both his N2 English & Chinese teachers were preggie at almost the same time, & went on maternity leave then quit within 1 month of each other. Sigh!
Please observe the interaction between teachers & kids when u r considering a childcare centre/kindy. Most of the teachers there don't teach but SHOUT bcos there's isn't any partition between different classes so it's like a v noisy mkt. Wonder how the kids can concentrate?
Even my son also started to talk v v loud at home.

Vamiga,

We have a view towards the telecom building/ fire station. so not so bad. wind still come into the house.

my son is 3+ yr old. I enroled him for the PCF downstairs of Blk 277B. He will start school next yr at 4 yr old. Anything to prepare little boy to school? He is quite a loner (among children) until little sister comes along. I'm worried he can't get along with friends. The extremes will either be he is very quiet or shout/ throw tantrum. Any advice?

Hi Wan,

Just saw the PCF Punggol South when I explored the area this a.m. w my 2 sons. So new! *envy*
So he will b in K1 next yr right?
How come not starting fr coming semester in July? Tot the notice said it is accepting application for that as well?
How long is his session?
Fee?

My son transferred fr a full day childcare to a 4hr PCF K1 program at Sengkang West (Blk 303) Jan 08. He loves it!

Don't worry abt him getting along, kids make friends v v fast. My son was v v shy b4 3yo & now he will initiate conversations w strangers,even adults! *faint*

Just slowly teach him how to make friends during social settings or at playground but need not force him. Slowly, he will get the hang of it. Just let him observe & learn at his own pace.

It helps if u know a few names of his new classmates (they have name tags), so that u can ask him specific qn like "do u play w X today?", "Is Y in your group?" etc. It's abit overwhelming 4 them to rem 20+ names & faces at 1 go, so it took my son a month or 2 2 pop out most of the names into conversations abt sch.

U may also 1 2 bring him to lurk ard the sch, after it is a month in operation, so that he is familiar & curious abt it. Don't go the 1st week when some kids might still b crying hor & might frighten him instead.

Books abt starting new sch might help to set the stage for discussions on life-skills like putting up his hands to ask qn, permissions, get teacher's attention, learn abt taking turns, how to play nicely w other friends, what to do if other kids take his things etc. Library is a good source.

The PCF has a min std among the teachers, even the relief teachers, so they will know how to handle tantrums etc. If u have any concern, can always approach the teachers or the principal.

Also get him excited w his uniforms, sch bag, shoes, stationery etc. Bring him along during orientation too, so that he see the classroom & teacher w u ard.

Vamiga,

We were not certain if ILs will stay at buangkok by July yet. I'm staying at Anchorvale side, only have Appletree at our area, but on waiting list. Also didn't enrol this yr due to HFMD few wks bk. Should be N2 for him, 3 hr session, $125 (if I rem correctly)

My son speaks mandarin fluently but can't conduct proper English conversation. He has been picking up English vocab recently cos I told him without learning English, he won't understand what his friends are talking about after he go to school. We br him to the PCF b4 we enrolled him. He seems excited about it.

2 boys must be a handful for u. I'm lucky my MIL help me take care of my children so that I can continue working.

Hi Wan,

The SK Methodist Church kindy at ur place is v popular leh. Good to teach him english but dont worry, kids picked up languages v v fast. Most of my son's chinese classmates likes to use a mixture of english, chinese, singlish tho.
happy.gif

HFMD is all yr round & getting 1 strain doesn't provide immunity to other strains, so proper & strictly enforced hygenie is the key, esp w younger sibling at home. My son got it at cc when he was 3yo. Now he is expected to wash his hands w soap, wash his feet, change his clothes & wipe face & body after sch b4 he can have lunch or play w didi.

I choose to b a SAHM even tho i have quite a capable maid. Just 1 2 spend more time w the kids b4 they r all grown up. Really regret missing out on most of my elder son's babyhood as he & maid were shuttled to & fro my mum's place at pasir ris everyday. HATED that kind of lifestyle.
We were maidless when DS went into cc at 2yo but those years r tough too, esp when he started to keep falling sick due to his sensitive nose. I was v torn between work & him.
So prior to the 2nd pregnancy, we had already decided on the lifestyle we want, even tho it means we have to tighten our belts.
happy.gif

Vamiga,

I also shared the same sentiments as you. I didn't spend enuf time with my son when he was born. I took 2 mth maternity leave but took the opportunity to learn driving. Dived into work with lotsa meeting & deadlines. Decided enuf of that kind of lifestyle. Resigned & applied for a less demanding job.

When my gal came along, I told my MIL to concentrate on my son, since he is already so attached to her. I was hands on with meimei w exp from 1st child. I took 3 mth maternity leave & cleared as much annual leave as I need to bond with the 2 children.

Quite comfortable with the current arrangement, except that I m missing out of the highly-paid jobs in the private sector now with the construction boom. Learn to give & take

Hi Wan,

Ya, the most imp is to b contended w what we have.
happy.gif

Good that ur MIL is willing to help out w your kids.
Which part of Anchorvale r u staying?
Near Nan Chiau Pri?

schooling:
geezz.. i noe nuts abt these schooling info u mums r sharing leh .. haaa... fist timer .. veri blur sotong .. anyway my girl oni 6mths .. shld worry yet rite? heeee

yes, I stay opp nan chiau pri. hate the carpark entrance with the roundabout. when the parents send their children to school, the whole road & the roundabout is jammed. I like the basement carpark at aspella. NEAT!

slimz, dun worry. I also know nuts abt schooling. but I hope my children will not grow up as stressed out kids bogged by school work. I also won't send my children to enrichment programmes. The only class I may send them may be swimming, cos I can't swim, can't teach them...

Hi Slimz,
Ya, u still have a long long way fr worrying abt sch. Just enjoy the baby now.
happy.gif

When the time comes, u will b "forced" to pick up info abt sch.
hahaha...
When we 1st selected the flat, we also never give a tot to sch. So it's by luck that we r within 1km of Nan Chiau Pri. Even then still need to ballot under phase 2c.

Hi Banazz
Different PCFs may be slightly different.
Most offers Nursery for 4yo but there r some that have pre-nursery for 30mo under the new Little Steps program.
See details at http://pcf.org.sg/index.htm

I m considering whether to send my younger son to Blk 231 or the Tots House at our RC, which is nearer, if i'm still a SAHM then.

Mayb bcos my elder son was in childcare since 2yo, so i don't feel comfortable to see kids like my neighbour's, who is already 3yo, "idling" at home watching tv most of the time.
Their brains r like a sponge now, so it's good to let them learn some social skills & independence in a structured enviironment for at least part of the day.

Hi Wan,
U intend to send ur kids to Nan Chiau pri in future? I might b 1 of those parents jamming up the roundabt during rainy days if we can get a place there.
hahaahahha....

Vamiga,

I didn't choose my flat bcos of Nan Chiau. I see all the school children gg to school on wkend. No life...I rather send him to the neighbourhood pri school (north vista opp aspella) near to ILs place.

slimz,

were u at temple for vesak day celebration? we were queueing very long, finally gave up & went home with bb. hb bring son for the 'passing light'

banazz,

call Hougang PCF at 63851030 for the enrolment details at compassvale link. The mass enrolment was from 3 May 08 for children born in 2005, 2004, 2003. For little step program, they will open if there are more than 8 children in July 08. I think they will start cos I heard enuf children liao

wan, i was there !! .. haaa... but like u say .. so many pple ... hee.. din bring my girl there .. she's too small to appreciate .. so i pray on her behalf le =D

hee... and that northvista pri school hor .. hiak .. i can c it from my masterbedroom de.. so i've telling the whole world .. nxt time i can SPY on my dotter at sch.. hee.. wen she comes home i can say "i saw u running ard in sch .."

cloverluv.. wich blk u at?? ?? heee... ... i din noe u are pet .. haa...
so wen jas said "pet moving in close to u (aka slimz)" i was like ... "huh.. good.. one more dec mum .." heeeee

slimz,

nearly every year, I pass light at the temple. even last year when I was heavily pregnant, I also walked. this year exception cos meimei sleepy.

I always show my son he will go to north vista when I bring him to coris playground when the school was still until construction. He is excited to see the completed school from the new flat. Next time, bell ring already then cross the road to pick him up!

Hi Wan,

Ya, saw the buzzing crowd at Kopitiam when we drove past last nite ard 11pm.
Went to check it out this a.m. but didnt eat there, as we already had our breakfast. Elder son eyeing its cha siew bao.
hahaha... another nearby supper/breakfast place!

If your PCF confirm got Little Steps, pls let me know. At least will b nearer than Blk 231. I can register in 2009.
happy.gif

Back