very little breast milk

hi baby elin,
my bb 4mth oredi.. now taking more milk plus to increase ss but since my menses, ss still not so much.. i can pump for 1hr + but oni get 5oz... much more pathetic than u rite.. but im still taking more milk plus n fenugreek.. hope to see increase soon..

how many do u take? if you take only like 1tab of fenugreek, it doens't help much. i took up to 6 tabs few wks before i went back to work (u can take up to 9 - according to my colg lactation consultant (3max each time). then a few wks later after i got back to work, i stopped taking.
soya bean milk works well for me, it does increase my supply by alot!
baby elin, may be you want to latch baby on again. it would really help to increase/establish back your supply. good luck!

luca, my friend swears by manual pump. i have never used manual pump. i only have one pump i.e. ameda. so far it works very well for me.

Yes fenugreek needs to take 3 times a day 2 capsules then you will find the effect.

Jeelomeelo, after you stop taking will the supply drop? Me thinking of stop taking it too.

besides fenugreek and more milk plus, any other supplements to take for increasing milk supply?

cosway intro IMU6 Colostrum to me, nt sure hw safe it is. anybody takin dis?

maureen,
err. mine didn't drop very much. but in office the supply always go downhill as the day passes. got to be more dilligent to latch and pump. but once i'm at home, i'll usually latch my boi on and pump too. on weekends also i'll latch and pump (but if go out, then no choice, only latch him on or give bottle). my gf advised not to go cold turkey when you're weaning off the fenugreek. once your supply is establised, reduce the fenugreek slowly.

jeelomeelo, so far now I have reduced the fenugreek intake to 4 capsules a day. Yes I also do latch on whenever I am with my baby. Only when he sleeps then I will pump out the milk.

hi maureen,
now tt im taking fenugreek (its not the pills kind though, just soak in water n drink one), more milk plus, can i take nursing tea oso? izit too much?

Hi,

This is the first time I'm posting in this thread although I've been following it since the very start. My DD is 3 months old as of today and I'm still EBFing her. I would like to thank everyone who have posted here, because this thread has always been my movtivation to continue bfing. There were many times during my first two months of bfing, I had to wake up in the middle of the night to pump and reading this thread actually helped my let-down (don't know why, for some reasons I could have let-down when I felt touched reading some of your posts). Just to share alittle of my bfing journey. I was quite lucky that my girl was able to latch on quite well since birth, but in the end I still choose to express feed her because my hubby and I wanted to know how much she was drinking. I have to say this journey wasn't easy at all, like all mommies I was worried about my supply. I started with a manual pump, but later switched to a dual pump because i wanted to trick my brain that i was having twins. I would have my pumps on every 3-4 hours for minimum of 1 hour each time. It worked quite well for the start my supply increased to 240ml during the peak. But recently I have returned to work after my ML, so my supply have drop tremedously to max 160ml and thats provided I pump for abt 1.5 hr and I am beginning to be unable to catch up with my DD's demand already even though I supplement her 2 night feeds with formula. Although, its tough but I'm already very happy that I was able to bf her for 3 months and will continue as long as I could.

Hi luca,

Recently, I've bought some nursing tea the trial pack from MIM (http://www.momsinmind.com/mirror/www.momsinmind.com.sg/milktea.html), and just tried out today. Not too bad.. tasted like flower tea (hua cha) and I've added honey for sweet taste otherwise its actually quite bland. And personally I prefer the fruity one because the other one I can't taste any peppermint flavor. Btw I've tried them hot and chilled, both are good. The only bad thing about this nursing tea is that it comes in loose herbs, gotta have some form of mesh to filter it. Perhaps can ask if they have them that come in ready packed tea bags.

Maureen, does it help? hw soon can u see the increase?

Alice, hows the trial pack like? can drink hw many times?
u taking any other supplements?

Hi luca,

The trial pack is pretty small, can make probably about 10 - 15 cups depending how much you put. I have a teaspoon to about 150ml.

This is the first time I'm taking this nursing tea not too sure about the effect and I've not taken any other supplements before.

Luca I can't remember cos that was 2 yrs ago. Nowadays me often overslept middle of the nite cos I supposed to wake up to pump my milk as my boy didn't wake up for feeding. Can feel like my milk has dropped a bit.

momtobe,
my GF mentioend that GNC fenugreek din work for her. she took the nursing tea. and it worked for her. but i heard that the 2nd main ingredient in the nursing tea is also fenugreek.
happy.gif

I'm currently taking GNC fenugreek. Taking it alone didnt work for me. But recently, I'm drinking lots of water. Drank soya bean milk and once in a while have oats. And my supply did increase a bit. Also, I've recently changed to use Avent manual pump. Found that it can empty my breasts much better than my Medela Swing. And because it empties much better, it somehow signals to my body to produce more. In fact, I'm now producing more than what I used to when I'm still on maternity leave.

hi alice

great to hear your story. it's tough being a working mom but it's great that you've already come so far, having bf your baby for more than 3 months.

tks alice, hope the tea helps u. i saw from the website that they only have loose tea herbs. anybody know where to get those in tea bags?

Hi eve, do u find it tiring using manual pump since u use electric pump before?

Hi Hazel,

I'm also quite glad, although I dont know know long more I can continue because my job require alot of travelling to customer sites and its not very convenient that when you are onsite working and have to "disappear" every now and then to pump. But still very happy that I've meet my target of three month minimum.

Hi Luca,
I do see slight improvement, though not alot but there is abit of increase of like 20-40ml at times. I do agree that the loose tea herbs can be quite troublesome, I am not very sure where to find tea bags but maybe you can try Daiso? I'm actually using some gauze (those for bandage) to filter, sounds abit weird lah I know.. but I'm fine with it (still surviving so far :p) I'll let you know if I do come across any shop that sells it.

eve,
so hw long u pump each time using manual pump? n hw much can u get?

anybody noes wats the dosage for more milk plus capsules? n wats the max dosage per day?

hi luca,
ur to eat 4 more milk plus capsules/day.. max is 6 capsules..

anyway, not to dampen anyone's spirits here but i think its time for me to give up trying to tbf oredi.. maybe try for 2nd bb and then can start over..
happy.gif

luca
usually it takes me about half an hr to 45mins to empty both breasts. Good days, i can get up to 240ml a session. On average about 180-200ml each time.

eve, ur great, can last 30-45 minutes using a manual pump! My hand will be very tired after 10 minutes or so.. so i used the manual one only once and after that stuck to electric le.

also have a small bit of success story to share, in my 1st month each pumping session took 1 hour plus and can only get max 10ml per hour from both sides combined. However in 2nd month I was more hardworking to latch bb on and the supply has gone up to 1.5 times of the original amount. Still not enough to keep up w baby's demand but at least got more. =)

hi mummies,

really admire some of u for not giving up on BF. i only BF my baby for 1 mth. my supply was stil able to keep up to my bb until duno y the supply suddenly gets lower twds the end of the 1st mth until i hv 2 supplemt wif FM.

then when i started to feed bb wif FM, tink bb prefers FM, coz whenever i feed him wif BM, he either can't finish or puke out aft dat. i feel so "wasted" coz nt easy for me 2 pump out enough BM to feed him. i was quite upset until my hubby tells me not to overly stress myself. dats when i decided to give up & TFM my bb til now.

now i look back, i shld hv perservere on. since i notice some of u got back the supply aft a while.

so to all mummies out there... ur BM supply wil continue to flow... SO DUN GIVE UP!!!
happy.gif

hi mummies, it's really been a long long time since i visited & posted on tis thread.

my son just turned 11mths & i'm glad tha i'm still bfing him. for me, due to work stress, ss has dropped over e mths but i never gave up as any amt of BM is still better than nothing. aso, he had started solids, so not taking as much BM as b4. now i oni pump once in e day to express some BM to mix into his cereals, then he'll take 2x FM (used to be oni 1x FM in e past) & 3 solid meals in e day & at nite, i continue to latch him, despite him having 4 teeth. he bitten me abt twice & i pinched him back on his hands & sort of scolded him & subsequently he din bite me anymore.

i still can recall tha got once, i saw some blood coming out fr my bb's mouth, i was shocked cos worried something happened to him. later, i realised tha i got left cracked nipple & it even bled, it was extremely painful when i latched on my bb. LC told me tha it still ok to continue to latch on tho my nipple bleeding, just air it & apply some nipple cream. ever since then, my left nipple wld get a bit sore & i wld just apply some nipple cream.

i was v.determined to bfeed for 1yr, so no matter how hard, tired, painful, i just bear w it & continue bfing. so ladies, when there's a will, there's a way. just try ur best & even when ss starts to dip aft u start working, dun hv to give up, just continue w watever amt tha u can pump & supplement w FM.

i now happily planning for my bb's 1yo bday party, some pp asked need to do so big meh & i said it's aso to celebrate tha i've come tis far to bfeed him. haha...

btw, for those considering getting an electic dual pump, tink it's worthwhile to get a medela PIS instead of ameda. i know tha PIS is more exp than ameda, which is y i bought ameda but aft few mths of using it, kinda of regret tha i din put in more investment. ameda had served me well in initial mths but e motor not as strong aft a few mths, so now, i kinda feel tha my breasts r not emptied well enugh, maybe tha y my pump output getting lesser. in fact, i changed e motor once. but if u intend to bfeed for just a few mths, tink ameda is gd enugh, a few mummies & i r still using it despite tha e motor is not as strong. or perhaps, our body had gotten so used to e pump tha we need stronger & stronger suction??? hee... anyway, if u can't decide which to choose, can go breastfeeding support grp where they hv both medela PIS & ameda pumps for u to try out.

tks bunnybluey for tellin us abt the pump.
i was actually comtemplating to buy ameda to replace my medela mini electric plus, but after hearing wat u said, i decided not to.
My son just turned 4mths on sat, and my supply is still s low s ever but im not willing to give up just yet. not until i hit the 6mths target. So for those pple who r like me, dun give up too. Lets strive on!

luca, e ameda pump did a great job in e initial mths. i 1st started w avent manual pump & e best tha i cld ever get is abt 100ml in 1 pump session. when i switched to ameda pump on 2nd/3rd mth, i did get better yield. got once, i did e "power pumping" method, i managed to get record high of 300ml within 1 pump session. when i returned to work, i still managed to get abt 400ml w 2 pump sessions. aft few mths, my ss dips gradually, i tink it's contributed by several factors... work stress, biz work schedule tha i cldn't pump at fixed timing & aso e motor is getting weaker or either tha, my body is getting used to it such tha i find i need to increase e suction power as days go by, now, sometimes, i hv to use e max power.

hi bunnybluey

thanks for sharing, it's good to know that we're not alone in the struggles of being mom and working at the same time while trying to BF.

i'm facing the same situation with pumping, the output is decreasing and feels like the pump is not as strong. but i think it's really the supply is dropping due to many reasons rather than the pump for me as i've both ameda and medela.

i now need 1+ hr to pump out 250ml, when previously i just need 40mins to pump out 300ml. total production dropped from 1.25 litre per day when baby was 3 months to 700ml per day when baby is 8 months. thankfully my baby takes well to porridge, cereals, fruits, fish, bread etc. So i've still not started giving any FM yet.

Luca, don't give up yah? 4 months was another low point where I felt like giving up cause after working for 1 month, the whole body feels very very exhausted from pumping at work. Also, more work responsibilities start to pour in after returning to work for 1 month. Just keep aiming 6 months, tell yourself 2 more months to go only.

I only shifted my target to 1 yr after reaching the 6 mths mark. Now, i try and bluff myself that it's very easy to BF, no need to pressure myself, just pump 45 mins 3 times a day, whatever the amount, just accept it. At most, I can always give FM.

Anyway, share with you all something funny, my baby went to church yesterday. There's two other babies in church and somehow they both were hungry at the same time. So the mommies took out their bottles and started mixing the FM. My boy looked at their bottles with a lot of interest, moving his hands up and down in the air and jumping, as if he wants to drink. Then I showed him his EBM thinking he also wants to drink, he actually pushed it away, and try to 'fly' towards the other babies' milk bottles. So funny...

Wah Hazel, I admire your endurance and I'm so envious of your supply and successful BFing.

I am so sad recently that my supply keeps dropping. I pump 4 times a day, in the daytime I can only get about 100-140ml max and nighttime slightly better around 150-180ml. I can't keep up with DD demand, already supplementing with 2 out of 7 feed with FM, since yesterday got to increase to 3 FM feeds cause I can't catch up anymore.

Feeling abit demoralized, in fact I've been telling my hubby that I want to give up liao but on the other hand I want to persist on, sigh.

Btw Luca if you are still looking for the tea bag filter, I've bought from DAISO ($2 shop) at PS yesterday. There are quite a few types, got 20/40/85 in a pack. I bought the 85pcs one, not bad its quite useful.

Hi Alice,

I understand wat u going thru. I had similar experience as u & I chose to give up unfortunately. Looking back now I wished I had persist on. Pls rem... BM is the BEST for ur bb. Juz continue to feed ur bb as much as u hv. Dun give up ok.
happy.gif

Hi pigmit and mom to be,

I guess to think on a brighter side, initially DH and I was only looking at BFing for 3 months until my ML ends but now its coming close to 4 months liao, its already a bonus to me. I'll try to hang on as long as I can, well even if one BM feed a day is also better than nothing rite?

dats the spirit Alice!!! juz dun give up like me. I tell myself if I hv my 2nd bb, I'll persist on.
happy.gif

mom to be>> i understand ur feeling. most impt bb is healthy mah.
happy.gif

tks Hazel for ur encouragement. it really is not ez to hang on, as my supply keeps dropping or stays the same even thou i pump at regular times, just dun understand it at all. sigh!

Alice, i havent buy the tea leaves yet, will buy nw since Daiso sells the tea bag filters. tks.

I oso havin the dilemma like u, torn between the tot of givin up or persist on. but at least u are better than me.

hi alice,
yah, wat u say is true.. better than nothing.. but now my ss is rili pathetic..
sad.gif
so bopian, gotta give up la.. but like wat pigmit say la, most importantly, bb is healthy..
happy.gif

hazel, i hrd fr some other mummies tha ameda used to be v.gd, can continue to use for #2 cos tha time i complained abt my ameda, changed its motor unit within e 1st 2mths, which i was tinking how come it can spoil so easily lor. then e current 1, sometimes, e suction really got prob as e sound tha it produced it's quite different fr e usual sound. is ur medela PIS? i hrd fr many sources tha e medela PIS is better than ameda, however, ameda is better than some other medela series.

alice, dun give up, is still gd to give ur bb some BM, no matter how much it is. aso dun feel demoralised or pressurised as tha wld affect ur ss. just try ur best. now, i oni pump once a day, feel lousy when it's oni enugh for mixing 1 cereal feed. even when i latch him at nite/morning, tink e flow is slower compared to last time, so sometimes he'll fuss & i just sing to him, for me, somehow i felt tha singing does help to hv better flow, if not, at least it helps to calm down my bb. but no matter how lousy i feel, i kept telling myself, i've come so far, so i just persist on to reach my goal, i aredi doing my best to give watever amt tha i can to my bb now. u had bfeed for 4mths, set ur nxt target to 5mths, then when u r there, go for 6mths & so on. some of e mummies i know, they initially intend to bfeed for 6mths, they r aso going for e 1yr target.

jia you to everyone whose still bfing. even if ss dips, just continue to give watever u can & dun give up.

hi bunnybluey, i'm using the medela mini electric. i find it just as good as the ameda, just that it's much noisier. didn't buy PIS, find it too expensive and also initially i didn't know how long i can BF.
i bought my ameda from usa, it's called 'purely yours'. so far so good. good thing the motor didn't spoil, otherwise, there's no warranty in singapore.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the encouragements.

Bunnybluely,

Come to think of it I think my Ameda also can't clear as good as before already. Been alternating between my Avent manual pump and the Ameda recently because some how Ameda is not able to clear my breast so efficiently.

Nowadays I have to use compression method otherwise my breasts doesn't feel empty even if I pump for 1 hour+. So no choice but to go back to the manual pump which can clear faster and better, but sometimes I'm lazy because I can handsfree with the Ameda so I can sleep while pumping especially the 5am one. =p

Hi,

Can anyone advise if Fenugreek or More Milk Plus is better I'm currently taking fenugreek, was thinking of taking more milk plus as well, cos trying hard to increase my ss. Would really appreciate any advise. Thanks!

Hi mom_to_be,
Are you stopping totally?
Why don't you just give whatever you have to your baby?
This is what I'm doing lor, although not enough, give some better than nothing.

You started solids?

i oso dun get engorgemt aft i decided 2 stop. guess like wat mom to be said... no milk oso (hahaha...)

even aft i've stopped for abt 2 mths, i did try 2 squeeze my breast & surprisingly stil got milk come out!!!! but of coz not much 2 feed bb one la... interesting
happy.gif

my medela mini electric motor was spoilt twice coz of the milk backflow inside, wonder how did it get inside s i didnt see it when i express.

so i guess for ameda if the motor sounds different from before, sld b also caused by the same prob, even thou i nvr use ameda before. Tot ameda was good, seems like PIS is better. Btw, just like to ask, those of u using manual pumps, is there any special technique to using it coz i dun seem to get any flow going..

Sputnik, i've tried both, and both doesnt work for me, so i think its really individual.

hazel, i c, maybe e ameda purely yours selling in US is better than e ameda lactaline. i aso find tha e PIS is exp & i dunno if i can tong 1yr, tha y i never buy tha. some pp say can keep e PIS & use for #2, so actually quite worth it.

sputnik, i took mother's milk tea to help maintain my ss when i started to go back to work, it helps back then.

luca, for avent manual pump, i'll pump quickly a few times, then hold for few secs, then repeat tis process again & again.

hi all,

my bb is coming 9 weeks old and supply is abt 100ml initially.. but dropped drastically when i had fever + engorgement + menses came last week..

Any chances of going back & increase also? don wish to stop like this..
sad.gif

now BB feeding 120ml every 2hrs.. hate to substitude with formula

Back