very little breast milk

Ling Ling, ginger was added to the papaya & fish bone soup..i'm quite alright with the taste & even ate the fish probably they are fresh from the wet market..i delivered my 2kids at gleneagles but was told to latch on & not FM, maybe u hv met the "lazy" nurse..

Actually I always envy those mums who are able to latch on the bb. My 1st child I tried to latch on... but he don't even want to suck and engorement and stuff and so I gave up. Then my 2nd child,i was determined to breastfeed and buy nipple puller/sheilds etc hopefully would be able to do it this time round, but still unable to ... the lactation consultant say my breasts make it so hard for my bb to latch on no douth they tried helping me latch on during my 4 days stay at hospital..

Feel quite disappointed after 2 tries still unable to have my bb latch on and hence unable the bonding that breastfeeding gives...especially if there are so many adverts media magazines raving on how gd breastfeeding is.....

I guess as easy it might sound, but sometimes is quite difficult to be able to latch on

Yes Jean.. it's important for bb that the mom happy.. I was under a tremendous stress oso that time when I had to supplemen.. but our main priority is that bb grow healthy n happy, rite ?
happy.gif

Doris, that time I buzz the nurse in the middle of the nite. Being the 1st time mom, dont know anything abt bb so when bb cried cried and cried, I was worried.. so several nite in hospital, I called the nurse several time and ask why my bb cry n cry like that ? she answered : ' ya lohh... the BM is not enough, I told u to supplemen but u dont want so just like this lo... !! " I was so scared by her answer. Even my hubby n I got a nick name for her "supplemen auntie " :D and decided to let bb cry n try to cuddle her rather call the nurse again :p

For fish bone soup has to add ginger. I used to boil the fish bone soup to cook yong tau hu so it taste nicer. Can also drink more ikan billis soup too.

i cant swallow anything tasteless. adding salt should be fine, up to individual. if u are still worried, maybe add lesser?

ling ling, during my confinement, after each latch on, i would drink a cup of milo or milk (milkmaid which is used to make coffee) or anmum, i'm not sure if helps but it does in terms of fluid consumption..we need fluid to have supply too.

best way to upkeep milk supply -

drink hot milky drink immediately BEFORE latching or pumping

if necessary; supplements like fenugreek or mother's milk tea

best to "drown" urself in fish. LOTS... "oil based fish like cod fish, salmon, threadfin

Eat more red meat to replenish red blood cells for mummies.

NEVER drink cold fluids meaning u need to abandon ur gassy drinks and ice cold water

Lastly, NEVER give up latching... NO matter how painful. juz look at ur baby and everything is worth the effort...
happy.gif
Good luck to all. Cheers!
happy.gif

Doris so after latch on drink Milo uh ?
Petrina before latch on oso ? how longbefore latch on we should drink this ?

ling ling, sometimes i felt giddy after latch on & thirsty so i will drink milo immediately but i also do drink milo or hot milk before latch on...milo can be heaty for some people thus dont drink too much if you can't take it, drink hot milk instead.

if u did not go on diet, eat enough, drink enough fluid & latch or pump every 2-3hrs (even middle of the nite), yr supply shd increase..

sometimes my bb screamed & struggled too, i've to stand, pat & slightly rock so that she'll drink...i realised sometimes her struggle is because she's passing "gas" or urine & she becomes angry but after a while she'll continue to drink

i'm quite lost over here.

Now my baby coming 11 months.

Have wean off breast and can't express enough for baby so added FM in BM after weaning.

Now supply dropping n dropping.

First can express 200ml after weaning off. after 2 weeks only 100ml .. Can feel that is going down to 80ml.

Am i drying up ??

Babyrainbowz, heard bb is the best pump
happy.gif
bcos of that no other pump can imitate the amount of bb suckling. But some mommies say also actually we mite have more from the amount we pumped cos the pump is not as effective as bb ....

Doris, I Do feel MIlo bit heaty n some pp suggested me if I took heaty food the bm will reduced.. so dont really dare taken a lot..
So bb struggle only to pass on something uh ? :p will try to monitor more....
happy.gif

doris,

i didnt latch on my baby regulary after i delivered due to some reason. now i am trying hard to pump every 3 hrs and what i can get not even 20ml. i can only latch on my baby around 5 mins at most because not much milk for him to drink. he struggle, cry and angry too. if i am only pumping, what else can i do besides all the solution that u all mentioned earlier?

pauline, when my bb was not with me for 10days, i could only pump every 2-3hrs & was also unable to pump much initially, not even 20ml & it was after 2wks or so then my milk comes in

pauline, supplement is fine cos do not want bb to go hungry but shd also continue to latch on & pump even dont have milk but to stimulate & tell the brain to produce more milk, yr supply should come in, dont give up..

ling yes baby is the best pump.

But i already wean my baby off breast. Very upset but no choice cause bb is biting me till i got nipple infection. And for some reasons i'm not able to latch anymore.

hi babyrainbowz

my baby is coming to 15 months, since he turned 12 months my milk supply dropped drastically. i've been fully expressing my milk since he is 2 months old because i'd a slipped disc and was hospitalised and cannot carry baby for some time.

At 11 months I pump out about a total of 480ml per day. But I think the body will naturally wean. Now my supply is so little that no electric or manual pumps can help to get the milk out. I use my hands to squeeze and can only get about 60ml per day. I just mix it with FM to feed baby. So far, even though it's very very little EBM, I still see that his immunity is quite good, thank God for that. People around will get flu and cough, but he still quite okay. Even when he gets a flu, he recovers quite fast. So I encourage mommies here to go on as long as possible.

I always psycho myself during the time that I almost gave up (after resuming work at 3 months), that if during the days that I was hospitalised and can't walk or get out from bed and had to use a bed pan to relieve myself, I can still pump milk for my baby, now that I can walk, I definitely can persevere.

Hazel,

I really admire u..4yrs back i wean off my son from BM after 2 mths cos got to go for operation & could not carry my bb & I regretted so much. Thus, now my no. 2, i've told myself i definitely have to do it & hope my supply is enough when i return to work..

babyrainbowz, i understand tat supply will also drop due to stress & less frequent on breasts but u've already done a gd job by giving her BM for 11mths..

hey babyrainbowz, were you pumping regularly before you weaned off the breast? for myself, after my boy turned 8-9mo, i didnt pump regularly anymore so when i tried recently after he turned 1, i couldnt get much but as we're on direct latch we're still ok. i've heard mummies say that the breast gets 'used' to the pump thus causing this 'problem' of getting very little milk when trying to pump after a hiatus

hazel, many kudos to your perseverance! you are a great mummy!

Sleek,

I was on TBF until i wean him off breast.

I was expressing like 50ml only even i did not latch him

i'm having problem with breast getting used to baby instead of pump. No matter how i pump no let down. After a few secs of getting about 20-30ml of milk. It will be dripping type and i need to compress my breast while pumping.

Now i'm almost giving up .. Cause is so upset to see milk supply getting lesser.

And also cause i can't pump as much as he drinks i need to add in FM.

hi babyrainbowz

consider carefully b4 giving up. i'm pumping 50ml per day now also, but i find that the little i'm giving him is still good for baby's health. I just use hands to squeeze nowadays, use pump too troublesome for such low quantity of milk. i've been pumping 50ml for the past month already, seems like it's sustained at this low level and is not dropping anymore. Hopefully I can last till baby is 24 months! Still have 9 months to go...

mommies, at least u have given ur baby for many months.. Better than none at all rite ? So sometimes mayb it's a good thing that finally u r drying else mite got blockage
happy.gif
Like my friend.. she has stopped bf bb long time ago but now seem she's producing again.. confused ? need to go minor surgery to open the block

hi babyrainbowz,

when u wean off yr bb from breast, did she/he refuse bottle? my bb is abt 14wks old & she refuse to drink from bottle, any recommendation on which brand of bottle or any way to make her drink from bottle?

where to get the supplements to improve on the breast milk supply??

my baby will be due in jan, when can my wife start to take the supplements?

Doris,
At first my bb also refused than the doc said ask somebody else to feed bb with the bottle. Bb refused the bottle feed from u cos they can smell the milk from u. Maybe worth to try...

JEffrey, if u r reading all the archives u will have the idea about the supplemen n where to get
happy.gif
but it works differently from person to person tho

jeffrey (jazzproperty): if your wife mentally prepares herself during pregnancy, reads up on breastfeeding, talks to ppl who have successfully breastfed and has your total support, she may not need any supplements at all. I have never taken any and am still going strong after 16m.

Doris Low (dnkk): it is very normal for your bb to reject the bottle initially after total latch on, like ling says the baby can smell you (the fresh milk from you) so it is best if you leave the house totally while someone else tries to feed. It may take a while and intitally some babies even rather not drink from the bottle at all and will drink their full from you once you return, but as all babies first instinct is survival, they wont starve themselves and eventually they will take the bottle once they realise that mum 'is not coming back'. take care

thanks ling ling & sleek, my mil bottle fed my gal & refused to drink..i juz bought nuk & pigeon bottles & hopefully she will drink.

jeffrey, congrats!. agreed with sleek that yr wife will not need to take supplement. It is important that you must be very supportive over breastfeeding. You can call the breastfeeding mothers' support group (BMSG) where the volunteers are very helpful in answering any breastfeeding questions. their tel no. is 63393558 & some hospital also have lactation who can answer yr questions on breastfeeding.

Doris, when I am going back to work soon, I cut down on latching on during the day time. Got a few time he refused to drink too. I also change alot of teats too. In the end I used the pigeon brown teat cos softer. Partly also because he is teething at 3 months old.

Now I have to express 3 times a day during office again. My son milk intake has increased. Can't afford to cut down as he drinks about 7-8oz each time.

maureen,

i bought various teats & luckily today, she drank using the brown nuk teat. how old is yr son? my gal now at 3mths drank abt 2.5-3oz every 2-3hrs & if i pump 3hrs interval, i can collect abt 4 to 5oz & i intend to pump 3times in office, hopefully its sufficient for her.

Maureen,
Wahhh.. ur son start teething at 3 mo ?? does that mean ur son will start solid sooner also ?

Doris, my baby is now 10 months liao.

Ling ling, yes. I can feel his gum is hard at the side of the mouth. No he didn't start solid food early.

maureen,

i hope i can be like you, still pump at 10mths..my son also start teething @ 3mths+ & got his full set of teeth pretty fast, not sure if my daughter will be like him too.

Doris, I have been bf my elder son for 19.5mths. This time round is my last time to bf. So I pull myself to continue even I am busy at work liao.

doris, last time u say u couldn't even pump 20 ml of BM at first and supply start to come in after 2 weeks, how much is it? i'd tried for 2 weeks, supply still the same (less than 20 ml), breast is always soft. as i know, i only able to pump more when there is engorgement. everytime pump so little, very tiring, i'm unable to get any milk after 30mins pumping. with so little result, wonder if i can continue when i go back to work next mth. my baby is now 6 weeks old.

maureen, when i pump 2 hourly, the volume is even lesser. after 15mins pumping already dry up and don know got 10 ml or not.

pauline, your breasts need a few days to adjust to making more/ less milk. So if you continue pumping 2 hourly even though nothing is coming out, it should come out a few days later.

Back