Unplanned pregnancy while on panbesy

honeyswee

Dear mummies i need some knowledge/advice. I am on panbesy for abt 3 weeks and i just found out i am pregnant. Probably just few weeks. Pls share with me anything u all know if panbesy would affect the baby well being?

A very worried 3rd time mummy.

I was on roaccutane when i found out i was pregnant too n was worried like u. My gynae assured me that its going to be alright as its still early into the pregnant n there will be tests n scans to check on the baby during 12 n 20th week. My boy is 7 years old now n perfectly normal.

I was on roaccutane when i found out i was pregnant too n was worried like u. My gynae assured me that its going to be alright as its still early into the pregnant n there will be tests n scans to check on the baby during 12 n 20th week. My boy is 7 years old now n perfectly normal.

Hi Eeznyl,
My wife also have the same problem. She took roaccutane for 3 days before discovering she was pregnant. It was about 2 weeks pregnant on the day she took the medicine. May I know who is your gynae?
We consulted 2 gynaes and both informed that risk is there. Thank you.

Regards

Hi,

How long did u take it for while pregnant? I took it too probably about 2 weeks pregnant too. I'm now 12weeks and my gynae said it's quite risky and can only confirm if my baby has any birth defects at 20weeks but will be quite big by then and she said abortion will be quite painful if done at 20 weeks

Bernice, You can go for Harmony test which should be able to detect birth defeat and the test are conducted at ard 14 week.

Bernice, You can go for Harmony test which should be able to detect birth defeat and the test are conducted at ard 14 week.

Hihi, i just went for my first scan at 12+2 and I only did the Oscar test and a blood test but Oscar test can only test for Down syndrome right? My gynae said the only way she can confirm if there's any birth defect is at 24 weeks when she can see clearly the baby's organs etc. guess gonna just wait and keep my fingers crossed but if really got also bo Bian gotta go for abortion.

Did she mention Harmony test and Amnio Fluid test? These test have to be done before the detailed scan of week 20. Did you pass your Oscar test?

Still waiting for results as I just did the scan yesterday. She did mention abt the amniotic fluid test but guess I shall wait for the Oscar results first. Does roaccutane causes Down syndrome too? im more concerned about the birth defects as my gynae told me that it's quite a high chance that baby will have birth defects and she actually did ask me if I want to consider abortion before I take these tests.

ahh don't know too. think it all depends on fate too so just wait and see ba.
Hi Bernice,
My wife and I are in the same situation as you. Our first gynae also asked us to consider abortion, and we feel that her opinion was a bit one sided so we seek another opinion from a 2nd gynae. our 2nd gynae did mention about the risks, but also informed us that because my wife took it while at 2 weeks conception, it may be too early to have any effect on the foetus. Risk is there but it may have been minimized due to very early exposure and my wife had stopped after 3 days of dose.

We then did quite some literature research and found some papers mentioning that during the first 2 weeks of conception, the baby is still an embryo/ zygote stage and not subjected to harm from teratogens (roaccutane and these kind of medicine are called teratogens). from week 3 onwards when it is implanted in the uterus hen it will get exposure.
roaccutane has a half life of 22 hrs (meaning its dosage is halved after 22hrs), and by right is gone after 4-5 days from the body, according to some papers. Drs are generally conservative to say a 1 month waiting period to play safe.

How many days have you taken the drug for?

Another point to take note that at 24 weeks onwards, SG law forbids abortion. Im not sure if birth defects can be a reason to still go ahead. You may want to check with your gynae.

Hi, thanks for the info!

Your wife's case is better than mine. I finished the medication, which was abt 14days around there I think. But I think the time that I took it was abt before conception to around conception time. How many weeks is ur wife at now?

Cos luckily during my scan at 12 weeks everything seems to look good, the gynae said she could see the brain, nasal bone, limbs etc. just got my oscar test result too the risk is low. So can only wait for 20 weeks to confirm if baby's developing well. Guess it all depends on luck ba. There's nth much we can do too.

Hope all will be good for u and ur wife! :)

Hi, thanks for the info!

Your wife's case is better than mine. I finished the medication, which was abt 14days around there I think. But I think the time that I took it was abt before conception to around conception time. How many weeks is ur wife at now?

Cos luckily during my scan at 12 weeks everything seems to look good, the gynae said she could see the brain, nasal bone, limbs etc. just got my oscar test result too the risk is low. So can only wait for 20 weeks to confirm if baby's developing well. Guess it all depends on luck ba. There's nth much we can do too.

Hope all will be good for u and ur wife! :)

Hi Bernice,
My wife is at week 9 now. We are looking forward to the scan at week 12.
May I know what is the Oscar test? what is the difference from harmony test?
Lets pray hard together for a healthy baby!

Hi I think I'm the worse case here? Was on panbesy 30mg for more than 6 months. I'm now 17 weeks, Oscar test result was in low risk. Somehow I'm just very worried and I'm 34 y/o...

During first trimester I have heavy spotting nearly 1 whole month + cyst.I don't think my condition very good. Trying my best n pls pray for me.

Hi Ryan,

if I'm not wrong harmony test is more accurate than Oscar but cost much higher abt 1k plus. But both is for testing for Down syndrome. Oscar test basically just tells u if u're in high or low risk and cost abt 200+.

Hi babypoh,
All the best to u, hope u'll have a healthy baby! I hear that kkh is good for risky pregnancies. I'm thinking of changing from mount e novena to kkh too as the delivery bill seems to be cheaper 8k+ vs 5k+ single wards..

Hi Bernice,

Thanks for replying me.
I've done the Oscar test ($250) de other test cost $950 which will send ur blood (only blood test needed) to U.S lab n detect any down syndrome with 98% - 99% accuracy at rate , Oscar test accuracy Is 80% - 90% include ultrasound the thickness of bb neck, growth n blood test. I highly recommend the harmony test if your are the age of 35 y/o onwards cos with this test you won't need to go for amino test if you are at any risk of down syndrome.
If I'm still worrying... is there another test I can look into it? I heard there's a test can be done at 20 weeks with ultrasound to check bb development?

My gynae is TB lim at mount.e too, when I felt lost and it seems I'll have a MC with all the spotting n pain he's the 1 whom gave me hopes and brighter my thoughts.
My first gynae was at Sandy lek at joo chait, however he can't detect the causes of pain on my lower left. Which tb.lim has confirmed Is a cyst causing pressure and pain when I seek for 2nd gynae opinion.

Hi Bernice,

Thanks for replying me.
I've done the Oscar test ($250) de other test cost $950 which will send ur blood (only blood test needed) to U.S lab n detect any down syndrome with 98% - 99% accuracy at rate , Oscar test accuracy Is 80% - 90% include ultrasound the thickness of bb neck, growth n blood test. I highly recommend the harmony test if your are the age of 35 y/o onwards cos with this test you won't need to go for amino test if you are at any risk of down syndrome.
If I'm still worrying... is there another test I can look into it? I heard there's a test can be done at 20 weeks with ultrasound to check bb development?

My gynae is TB lim at mount.e too, when I felt lost and it seems I'll have a MC with all the spotting n pain he's the 1 whom gave me hopes and brighter my thoughts.
My first gynae was at Sandy lek at joo chait, however he can't detect the causes of pain on my lower left. Which tb.lim has confirmed Is a cyst causing pressure and pain when I seek for 2nd gynae opinion.
Hi I think I'm the worse case here? Was on panbesy 30mg for more than 6 months. I'm now 17 weeks, Oscar test result was in low risk. Somehow I'm just very worried and I'm 34 y/o...

During first trimester I have heavy spotting nearly 1 whole month + cyst.I don't think my condition very good. Trying my best n pls pray for me.
Hi Babypoh,
I am not a doctor but have read up quite some articles. Panbesy is that for slimming? I don't think there is many articles stating its harm on foetus. Correct me if I'm wrong. It is unlike isotretinoin which is one of the very high risk drug for foetus.
Cyst may not be related to your drug. It is quite common for ladies to have that and surgery nowadays can deal with that. I have heard of 2 cases when cyst was removed while the women was pregnant. Both mother and child are ok.
I just feel that awareness need to be raised in singapore by doctors who prescribe these risky drugs.
Your symptoms may be stress related. Try not to think so much and relax by breathing...

Hi Ryan,

if I'm not wrong harmony test is more accurate than Oscar but cost much higher abt 1k plus. But both is for testing for Down syndrome. Oscar test basically just tells u if u're in high or low risk and cost abt 200+.

Hi babypoh,
All the best to u, hope u'll have a healthy baby! I hear that kkh is good for risky pregnancies. I'm thinking of changing from mount e novena to kkh too as the delivery bill seems to be cheaper 8k+ vs 5k+ single wards..
Hi Bernice,
Pardon me for my questions but the test does not sound useful for our case. Down syndrome does not seem to be related to the drug. The drug effects are structural, cranofacial, brain..Probably some relation but didn't see a direct link there. Thanks.

Ryan, yup I Actually also not that worried abt Down syndrome but my gynae mentioned that there is some risk too so just took the test for a piece of mind. I guess the test babypoh mentioned at 20 weeks is a detailed scan to check on the baby's organs measurements like circumfrance of head, length of limbs etc. my gynae scheduled me for the test at week 18.. The test should be able to see if there's any abnormalities in baby's growth I guess.

I guess all will be fine so don't worry too much. :) I even had impacted wisdom tooth surgery twice during my early pregnancy as I did not know I was pregnant. Haha. Lets just look forward to our next ultrasound! :)

Hi @Ryan Tan

How's your wife's pregnancy going on? Just an update, I've just went for a detailed scan at 19 weeks, glad that all seems well. But I'm going for another detailed scan next week(wk20) at kkh to be sure.

Hope your wife's will be well too! Be positive! :) Btw I heard that there's a gynae called dr ananda seems to be very good at doing scans to check for fetal anomaly. You may want to google about him.

Hi all,

I am also in a similar situation.

I applied aknemycin on my back at about 5 weeks with no idea that I was pregnant. It was a one-time application and that was it.

When I visited a Gynae a few days later following the discovery of my pregnancy, the Gynae highlighted the risks involved as the solution contained a certain percentage of isotretinoin. she sounded absolutely discouraging and said that I may want to consider terminating my pregnancy depending on how tests go later on in my pregnancy. My heart was broken instantly and I blamed myself.

Nevertheless I am determined to keep the baby and am now about 10 weeks along. Going for the tests in a few weeks and hopefully all goes well!

Hi biehive,
try changing your gynae, that's what we did and found a supportive gynae though expensive.
I believe skin application does much less harm compared to consumption though im not a doctor.

Hi biehive,
try changing your gynae, that's what we did and found a supportive gynae though expensive.
I believe skin application does much less harm compared to consumption though im not a doctor.
Hi

I only managed to see your advice now. Thanks and my daughter is now a healthy and bouncy 2.5 year old :)

Back