TOA PAYOH mummies

haha, newmummy08, just like my girl, she refused to let me paste the cool pack on her
happy.gif

Drinking from bottle, just try lor - he should able at this age to hold the bottle/cup right. There are two types of water bottles, the so-called training cup with the short spout-mouth and the bottle with the straw. The spout is used cos babies have a tendency to lift the bottle high high, so if using a straw, they may not get anything.

does he like soup? or ribena (there is a less-sugar boxed version for travelling as well)? or can try and give juicy fruits as well.

Newmummy,

totally understand what u going thru. Cos my 2 boys also down with fever, flu and cough. Me and hubby average sleep 3-4hr on/off. Last nite, my older boy (2yo), wakes up at 4am and started coughing non-stop and din sleep till half an hr ago. Finally he sleeping. My younger one 5.5mth, got everything from the bro but not so jia-lat.

My boy also dun like the cool patch. Maybe too cold liao.

newmummy
No worries, share share... they all go thru this stage but I shudder when I think of it. Esp for me, 1 after another, v siong.. haha... but once they turn 4-5, things will be better.

My mom wl tell me 'no more fever' in the daytime (for viral fever), and I will tell her 'wait till night time'. Sure enuf, the fever comes back...

Yes, re the bathing part.. pls, normal temp water, NOT COLD otherwise may cause fits..
I also sponge my kids.. armpit, groin area, neck...

Can understand your concern, cos me also, esp at nite, what if their temp. suddenly spikes... haiz... no matter how tired, still drag myself out of bed...

Did you check inside his mouth whether got ulcer and if throat is ok? If he refuses to drink, maybe mouth is uncomfortable or throat is painful.

stylobb,
ya true, they might hv difficulties expressing themselves. thanks.

sunny and newmummy08,
my gal too jjjjuuussstttt refused to let me put the cool patch even if i asked the dr. to talk to her or i coax her wif other things...she jus dun wan. she said is cooooool. hee! so gotta sponge her instd.

hey sunny,7/11 and stylobb!really appreaciate all ur adv le!wen i feel don know wat to do and need adv,i told my hubby,let me go forum get adv, they all vy helpful to gv me adv de!THX~!:p

Sunny, i got tat two types of water bottles, both very easy to spill out water le.. the so-called training cup with the short spout-mouth and the bottle with the straw rite?both my boy just hold it and play with it, but doesnt know to use it drink..thk need time teach him le..
for Soup,wo it be too oily?so i blend apple juice for him lo...oh ya,he still not really know to bite apple wo,so i blend it,same as porridge,i also blend all the carrot,brocolli and pumpkin,but i thk sooner or later hv to teach him bite rite?now hejust swollow wat ever food i gv him le...but he doesnt hv teeth to bite le, only fron teeth wo...

ya lo 7/11,don know y they all bb don like paste,i did let it be not so cold le,then only paste,but still...wasted my patch only!
ya lo..me already consider wake up lesser than my hubby,he will more easy to awake by small noice,so..poor him..

wah..stylo bb,u said hv to wait thei all abt 4-5 yo ah...wat la,still got long way to go..some more plan to hv second bb wen my boy abt 2 or 3 yo,now shall re-thk le...haiz...no helper abit siong de lo..
Just called nanny,told me that bb fever recover liao,i also scare is viral fever le!it will tk 7 days to recover?
hmm..shall keep my finger cross then,,pray hard is not...

oh,i tried chk his mouth,but he refuse let me chk!vy noti boy!but y will sore throat?he didnt tk any heaty food le..
how to tell?

try teaching him with the short spout mouth first. Give him his liquids in that.

Soup, - you can use lean meat instead of fatty meat for stock. If still too much oil, my MIL uses (can't remember the proper name) oil-blotting paper (not our cosmetics blotter hor) or a clean kitchen paper towelette to soak up the surface oil.

Actually if teething and learning to eat you can give him either very big piece of fruit or big piece of steamed soft veggie (have to keep watch that he doesn't bite off too big a piece and choke) - sometimes better (more interesting, tastier and healthier) than plastic teether.

newmummy
Do monitor ur kiddo and if still not good, beta see PD. That's how I feel, unless the GP is able to find out if the fever is normal fever or it could be due to throat infection, chest infection and therefore need other medicine.
Mouth - the doctor shud be able to check...

Dun wanna scare u lah, shud not take 7 days...hehe.. That was my one time experience hor... I also don't want it to repeat.

Hope it does not bring you discomfort, my kids' PD fees was $500 last month...duh....

They fall sick like this is to build up their immune system mah... what to do. Beta hv 2nd one quick... hehe.. otherwise, the older u get, the more difficult to wake up at nite.. hehehe... imagine we have twins, stimes after one falls sick and is well, it's the other's turn. Plus we have an older boy... stimes it lingers then it's his turn...haiz...

newmummy,
my gal just recovered from lung infection. she had viral fever for 6days! and was coughing with thick phlegm and her phlegm was clear but had specks of blood in it. initially i brought her to see GP but he didnt give antibiotics straightaway whc i feel is a mistake and 3rd day fever still there then he gave antibiotics. on 4th day i felt something is not right so ended up brought her to see dr heng. went for x-ray and had to go for antibiotics jabs for 3days in addition to oral antibiotics and nebulising too. during that time my gal also lost her appetite. she usually likes to drink milk but that time dun wanna drink much so got to give her small amounts but give frequently. i can understand how tiring it is cos night time she couldnt sleep, kept coughing the whole night until vomit out the phlegm. me preggie so lagi tired so hb and i took turns to sleep with her. thank God she's ok liao. think the med you mentioned is brufen, orange colour that is for fever above 38.5deg. 38.9 deg fever is considered high so think better to bring him to doc heng tmrw. a lot of this viruses going around.

stylobb,
you medical bill is not bad considering you're paying for your twins. mine alone already cost close to yours liao. faintz!

hey char, newmummy,
hugs to you both.

Char, you must have went through a lot!lung infection is it pneummonia? To give antib jab for 3 days, the fever must be really high. Just from my experience, you may want to dilute the milk a little as FM really gives lotsa phelgm esp when the child is sick. And you may want to tablespoon feed, coz when there is a lot of phlgem, they really cant suck from the milk teat much... my girl's last fever was record high at 5 days, of which 3 were 41 degrees. (My girl is 3 yrs then, so suppository was my life saver...) I shudder to think abt that now, as there is alsways the risk of fits.....

new mummy, there was once my girl kept crying and had really high fever, (many yrs back- my no.1). Wanted to save money, went GP, who gave some fever med. bb didn't want to drink and kept crying. In the end, the next following day, I went to see the PD, and he showed me and counted 7 ulcers, located just behind the tongue on the walls of the upper part of the mouth... He said that was causing all the high fever. He also mentioned that it was viral...I also sometimes think it is not necc to see PD, but then u must find a really gd GP who has experience with kids. If I remember, there is this doc at Lor 1 that a few mummies here go to....
Take care. Normally , those high fevers will take prob up to 5 days to subside ...
oh yes, one way to tell if got throat infection is go to a brightly lit place(day time sunny area or get a torch), get yr boy to lie on yr legs with head tilted quite far back. let him open his mouth for you to see. last time, my girl also refused, but I didnt care, so I held her firmly, that made her cry and wail and when she did that, I could see so clearly all the redness and ulcers.

kin,
thnx for the hug!
happy.gif
hehe... ya whenever my gal has fever and coughing till vomit i do dilute the milk. the hole on the teat is very big cos i cut so not so hard to suck. she had bad case of bronchiolitis. her fever was high but not too high, highest was 39.something. its the fever that lasted for 6days whc she never had b4. usually it took 3days to subside. this time 3days of jab is not so bad in comparison to last time where she kena 5 days jab due to pneumonia. sigh! i very sian when she kena this kind of illness. kena OT and "burn" money.

Mommies help!
I trying to intro formula to my breastfed baby... She rejected it, what shld I do...???

Me been sick past few days now face with this issue, aiyo headache.

Char yes I try mixing 30ml fm with breastmilk, she finally took but I wonder if she ever take fully fm with mixing.

Recently I took her pacifier away cos she so dependent on it n she cry everytime want to sleep so poor thing

hey mummies... just to add to the fever issues... dun allow your child to sleep in aircon room if fever. cos the brain will think the body is very cold, then increase the temp to compensate, thus causing the fever to go even higher. juz use fan, sponge often (wtih fan off of cos), wear cool clothes, if refuse cooling patch (my ger too), then lay down on cooling mattress (buy the real kind from pharmacy, outside selling cheap kind will be hot in a short while).

Char,

Is it only via the x ray then you can tell if your gal had lung infectioN? other than the fever, what other symptoms?

My son has been having cough with lots of phlegm for 2 weeks already, went to see dr, but it didnt get any better. I'm now trying to lessen his intake of medicine to let it go off on its own.

Wondering if I should bring him to see Dr again to put him on antibiotics or not...He's had fever too, but it lasted just 3 days and I reckon it was due to teething. Other than that, he eats normal, drinks milk and water normally. It's only when sleeping then will cough with lots of phlegm.

I'm worrried also that long term coughing can lead to other serious problems that I would never find out or would have found out too late.

ryes,
actually i'm not very sure if x-ray can tell if have lung infection. according to my exp with my gal who had pneumonia b4, by going for x-ray can detect pneumonia. the symptoms are having flu and fever that is very draggy like in my gal's case-6 days. if your boy doesn't have fever then maybe it could be bronchitis and if it is and not treated can lead to pneumonia. if it's been 2 weeks since he last saw his doc and still coughing then i suggest that you bring him to see his doc again. the reason why he coughs more when he sleeps is due to the backdrip (phlegm dripping backwards into the throat and lungs) while lying down. hope your boy gets well soon.

ivy,
finally your gal took the mixed formula.
happy.gif
slowly bah, give her 2-3days to get used to it and then subsequently add one more scoop for another few days until she's totally on FM.
happy.gif

Char,
yesterday nite i was bit depress... was so low morale... Sometimes i do wonder if im cut out to be a mother. Im so impatient.
From breastfeed issues, to reject bottle issue, to milk strike, to wean off pacifier, to now reject formula, i really exhausted and so lack of sleep...im so frustrated why is it so tough.

Of cos i know alot of mommies here probably been thru what i been thru... so the prob is just me lah. And i know... there will be more when she become a toddler.. like u mommies face the terrible 2s, horrible 3s.. tats why i feel im really not very good as a mother. Not strong enuff to brave thru the challenges.

ivy,
it's not easy being a mother otherwise fathers would do it.
happy.gif
we love our kids that's why we worry over so many issues. give yourself some credit and some time to accept this difficult times. you are a good mother that's why u worry so much over your gal.
happy.gif

Hi all, there are so much to read here that I can't read in detail. Just to share on the fever part, sponging works the best. Remember what we learnt in primary school science? As water evaporates from our skin, it takes off some heat from our body. So keep wetting the child with a damp towel, over her face, armpits, stomach, back, wherever is most hot, to bring down her body heat.
Another lazy way is to let him sweat it out, as his sweat evaporates, also takes off body heat. Then no need to do so much work.
My daughter ever got hospitalised at 41 degrees. So when my son is 39C, I am quite seasoned by now it seems like sup sup soy liao haha. But my daughter more difficult to manage, when she is sick, she is very tired and won't move much so no sweat and very hot. Got to keep sponging. My son 39C still very active, so got sweat to help bring his temp down.

Ivy, don't cram so many things at one time. Wean off pacifier can be postponed. Introduce new things one can a time. Like u want to introduce bottle feeding, u tackle this first. After this is done, then u tackle other new things. One step at a time, then u won't burn out. I heard that pacifier is quite easy to wean off. Wait until after 2 yrs, reduce slowly ot totally don't give, tahan her nonsense for 2 weeks, wola, wean off liao. But u must perservere for that 2 weeks and not give in at all.

Hu mummies,

I have 12 tins of Bellamys Organic Formula Milk Step 1 (0-6mths) for sale. Exp date: Dec 2010. The Australian shop got my order wrong as I ordered Step 3 instead of Step 1.
Selling cheap to recuperate my loss at $25/tin where it is retailing for $48 in Singapore.
Or anyone knows of any needy family with newborn who needs help can also let me know
PM me or email me at [email protected]

Ryes,Char,
Chest X ray do show if it is lung infection. But usually you wont need a Xray.
Dr (GP or PD) should be able to pick up signs of lung infection even without chest xray (eg, crepitation, rhonchi, fever, sputum colour, etc).

Hi mummies~!My boy recovered from his fever le!He start fever wed nite, then thurs ntie is the highest!then fri aftnoon, nannyc alled let me know he is recovered le!yeah~!so happy, coz tat day i was plan nite time bringhim to KK le!my coll said also,38.9 is consider pretty high already lo!so worry tat few days and cant zz also!so tired!
Ivy, ya, be mother is not really easy, as Char said,coz of u too taking care ur bb, so u worry much abt ur bb,so..u are a good mother so sure~!jia you!!

Hey Sunny, will teaching him with the short spout mouth first then...will see how lo...soup wise, i will try again this weekend..hehe...but big pieces of fruit?i thk he cant tk it coz he always bite vy big pieces then nvr chew properly then wan swolle already,few time he like kena chock till whole face red!!so sicne tat day onwasy i didnt let him bite food hilself le...but i still hv to train him,so how le?haiz..

Stylobb,char,thx for the adv ans experience share~!now adays kids like fever or fall sick, then we will hv to spend alot le...wat to do!

Hiy Kin,ths for the hug...anw,don thk my boy will let me do tat!but this few days i saw his tounge like got whitely thingy,so i don know is it due to after milk when he suck too hard, the stain there or wat,but since 8mths till now,alreadly no more this sign,so don know y it come back again..i don thk he got ulcer ba?

hey aer,oppss..i still let my boy zz in aircon wo...haiz,really lack of experience le...tot he won feel more hot...as weather this few days really vy hot lo..will tk note of it,thx for the info ya~!

btw,yesterday and today till now,my boy still not yet poo poo..then he midnite cry few time out of sudden,don knowis it due to stomache?then like furt alot...i even can hear his stomach sound when i hug him!
This am,he refuse to drink after whole nite nvr drink!normally he will cry for milk and drink vy fast de...then after i apply oil on his stomach,then he only drink, but only half bottle,then refuse le!(he lye down drink with out pillow,is that good?)
then he lye on bed like feel unwell look and also like vy tired look,eye half open...normally he will play on his on bed afetr milk...then half and hour later, i gv him the rest of half,then he only continue drink,but like forse to drink like tat..
sad.gif

don know wat happen to him le..worry again...haiz..will see how to day by tonite go nanny hse pick him up..
Can i ask,if the milk cant finish,leave half,but i did put on warmer,let say abt 4 hours,can continue let bb drink?will it get flu or bacteria inside?my hubby actually don wan let bb continue,but i feel so waste le...sometimes can say it more than half bottle wo...how ah?
any adv...?

char,
ya... thats a good pt... no wonder i worry so much more than my hubby... now starting semi-solid, i crack my brain thinking what to feed her until sometimes no energy at work.
Char hows ur pregnancy? so far so good? do u need any baby rompers?

Giant squid,
i settle the introduce bottle 3 months ago when she's 3 months old, successfully liao then suddenly at 4 mths old she milk strike.
2 weeks ago my hubby decide to wean her off pacifier, and its been 2 weeks, she still cry to sleep... PD suspect she got reflux cos she arch her back up when she lie down at night.
Last friday evening we try introducing 1 formula feed.. she reject... so now we mixing. even though by right shldnt mix...
So i wonder how many more challenges ahead. I really pei fu u ladies, esp with 2 kids one.... wah i really think if me i sure cannot take it... thats why sometimes im tot im lousy mom.

newmummy, thanks for the encouragement. Recently got a lot of kids kanna fever, sore throat etc... i heard HFMD on the rise again. My girl just had her 6-in-1 jab, was bit warm to touch but no fever, hopefully she dun get her bronchitis relapse again cos im sick and scare i spread to her.

newmummy, milk shld be consume within 1hr. U can check ur milk tin, they shld indicate it. better nt to leave for so long. ur boy dun wan to drink milk, mayb his stomach is nt feeling well.. hw abt try to lift his legs and do cycling in the air exercise to help him to poo?

Ivy, agree with giantsquid, leave the pacifier bit till a later stage. Sometimes the child will just wean herself off. Also at an older age, they will understand why you're taking them off the pacifier, or at least, they should (and you hope they will) understand.

Newmummy, don't keep leftover milk, not even in warmer, when the weather is so hot. Have you tried taking him off cows' milk and giving goats or soy instead? Those are easier to digest and therefore easier on the stomach. As for pooing, more water and some cycling exercises (as suggested by giantsquid).

j foo, i remove the pacifier for 2 weeks already, dun think will give her back... cos its been 2 weeks she is without it. if give her back... our 2 weeks effort wasted.

ivy,
pregnancy is so far ok, thnx for asking.
happy.gif
the nausea is subsiding slowly but still feel quite tired. i long for my energy level to come back like during my gal's time i could climb chair to clean window grills and clean the floor almost everyday during the 2nd n 3rd trimester. i've just entered my 2nd tri, feels so long.....

newmummy,
milk should not be fed to your child after 1hr, can get tummy upset. you can consider massaging your boy's tummy in a clockwise direction to help him pass motion.

thanks for all your replies.

Brought son to PD just now evening and he's having mild bronchitis. Terribly worried and sad. PD said his lungs are weaker and so is his immune system as compared to his sister.

So had 1 dose of neubuliser and changed of medication and put on antibiotics. If it doesnt get well, then we have to rent the neubuliser from them...Sigh...

Hey Ivy, ya lo..nowadays alot kid fever..but lucky is not viral fever...:p

Rlreen,jfoo,char:eek:pps!i put the milk more than 1 hour and still let my boy drink wo...my hubby sure scold me!but i tot got warmer is ok ma..coz last time wen my son abt 2/3 months i also continue gv him drink from the half bottle, after keep warm it..seem alright...so i don know lo...hmm..thk mayb like this his stomach upset coz of this!oh no!i feel so wrong now!
I did try to lift his legs and do cycling in the air exercise to help him to poo, but he just let me do it few mins,after that he make noise liao!haiz..this boy,really hiper active!won lye down more than 5mins!
Anw,called nanny just now,know that my boy poo poo le...hehe..feel release now...:p
Thx Ling,for concern too...:p

newmummy, u giving fm or bm? Tat time i call parentcraft, they say BM not finish can put in fridge keep for next feed max. But i scare so i try to feed my girl for 1 hr, she really dun want i throw, tats during her milk strike days.

Char,
very fast one. I now miss the days my girl kicking in my tummy. Im sure u more tired now esp u got to take care of no1 still.

Hi Ivy,is FM, if is BM, thk i more heart pain lo!some more i cant produce till 1 bottle so much la!:p
Thk onwards i will throw away if he cant finihs it more than 1 hour le....

ya lo Char,thk u must be vy tired...i cant imagine when is my turn to hv the second one,i thk i must wait my boy abt at least 3 yo then only dare to hv second one!

ivy,
i dun quite miss the pregnancy times leh, it was a bit fun lah but very tiring! can't wait to give birth in fact! but give birth liao also feel tired cos constant caring for my gal now another one on the way.....

newmummy,
bad bacteria can grow in the milk especially in warm environment. so ya better to throw away after 1hr. to me it is easier to have #2 now when my gal is 3yrs old as she can understand things better and is more independent.

Char,
so what's the reason or drive that u want a 2nd one? My hubby would want 2nd one but I'm too scare. My this girl already draining my energy liao.

ivy,
my thought to have 2nd one is to keep my gal company else she will be very lonely next time. think it'll be good to have at least 1 sibling.
happy.gif
your gal is still very young so i think if i were you i focus on her 1st and when she more independent and older then can think of 2nd one.
happy.gif
took me 3yrs to finally decide on 2nd one wor.

Char,
ya lor!!!! barely 6mths and hubby can think of 2nd one.... buay tahan leh. I also think it will take me a few years before even having the tot lor.

hey char,ya...thk onwards i won let my boy drink the milk after more than 1 hour le..
I also agreed with you char, will only thk of second one after 3 yrs ba....so ivy..now just concentrate on ur 1st ba....me also same same...:p
but ho...i scare too old to hv second one, then will more no energy to tk care bb le...
sad.gif

Char,
alamak... I'm 33 n only 1st bb. By the time dare to hv 2nd one 36 n abv lol so better not hv 2nd one.

ivy - wow! Ur hubby thinking of no2! hehehehe :p

For me - my kids are 3.5yrs apart.
I wld say ..... pros and cons lah.

I see my fren's kids tat are 1yr diff.. now at 3yo n 4yo - they really play/study each other v well. True companion to each other. As a parent - also easier to arrange activities for both kids.

For me - I see the gap abit big. No1 and 2 cant really play together. Esp now when no2 is a baby, I hv big issues. Go beach/zoo etc... no2 too hot/inconvenient etc. Go shows - no2 dun understand, wait cry loud inside worst. etc.

So I usu leave no2 at home then bring no1 out. :p

Hey Char,Ivy,thkour age range almost same le..me 34...:p
my sis older than me 1 yo only but her elder son already P2, so to her,me consider too old to hv kid lo..so always chase me to hv second one asap,b4 getting too old,then will more tired wo...me also worry..but money concern also le!

Char, Ivy, newmummy i'm 34. Don't wait too long for the next one. Need energy to take care of two.

remember seeing in this thread someone giving away the NTUC bonus points... Still have anot? Need some more bonus points for the bag.

Back