St. James Church Kindergarten Parents' Club

hello chomecc,

My gal in Dew Drop 12, and i've registered her with the kindermusik
happy.gif

Hi Starystarynite,

I think my girl is in Dew Drop 14 too, gotta check the letter again. Have you registered for Kindermusik? Oh dear, I didn't know payment must be made already. I'd better call the school tmr.

Hi Tinsel,

How did your dd go to session 3? You drive?

No, we didn't register for kindermuzik yet. Wait and see first! cause he has some other enrichment classes outside too. So, thought of wait and see feedbacks from parents if that is good before commit to it. Don't want to tie my son with so many enrichment classes at the moments...
happy.gif

You??

Hi Starystarynite,

Ya, I'll be chauffeuring her to & fro coz I think she'll probably be the 1st to get on the bus, but the last to alight. I've also made arrangements with my dad & brother in case I'm not able to send/fetch her.

I've called up and someone from SJCK said we can register/pay for Kindermusik on the 1st day of school. Any idea if Kindermusik will be held during curriculum time? I may not want to participate if it is conducted on weekends coz my girl also has other classes. What classes are your DS attending? Mine's attending art & music.

Oh, I've juz browsed the earlier posts and Chomecc has said that Kindermusik will be held during lesson time, so I will be enrolling her for it. My girl was with Kindermusik for 1.5yrs and she liked it
happy.gif

hi
anyone same as my girl, from the PN 2010 session 2 here ?

hi tinsel
hv u gotten the 75% needed for kindermusic to start? my girl's class still not meet the quota yet cos many kid's hv siblings, n the mommies hesistant to sign up cos the elder child alr got the CD pack. But accord to principal - the pack is diff

Hi I just registered my boy to SJKC for PNPG session 1 but he is on the waiting list around 120. Is there any chances for him to go to nursery 2011 or K1 2012 if cannot go to the pnpg this year? Please advice...

Hi Moxi,

Yes, girl's class going for Kindermusik. Heard from her teachers today that they either have started this week or going to start next week. I had thought the Kindermusik teachers will be from Tanglin Mall, so I was surprised when they told me they will be conducting the lessons....didn't know they are kindermusik trained too! But I have not received the activity pack. Your class met the quota?

Hi Pangpong,
Ur child was born in 2007? But we have started school liao leh. U mean even after the term starts i.e. now, you are on waitlist number 120? U can call and ask the school for advice. But personally, if this is the case, I would think ur chance is pretty slim for the PNPG kids will most likely continue on to nursery next year. But then again, those 119 in front of you may have found another school liao, so if someone were to withdraw, u'll be next in line!

Hi Octbride,
Dunno about Newton kindy but so far so good for SJCK. My girl is happy to go to school and enjoys her 3hrs there. I'm oso pleased wif the school and both her teachers
happy.gif

Hi Tinsel,

I was talking to my class teacher and she was telling me she was starting last week but I never receive any activity pack too.

where do you send your dd for enrichment classes? I stopped ds this term and was thinking to sending him to speech and drama class.

oh btw, the max per class is 14. my ds class got like 2 more new gers joining them last week and this week.

just received an email from jacqueline on this new key to learning programme. Does anyone has any idea what this is and how they are incorporating it to their lesson?

Hi Mummies,
Just to share with you.

My DS is in K1 now and has been attending the Chinese Speech and Drama conducted at SJCK since Nursery. During the 2nd term of attending, he told me he doesn't like it cos didn't understand what the teacher was talking about.

When the enrichment form came for the last term, I told him I am pulling him out cos he didn't like it. He started crying and told me he want to attend it cos he now understood and enjoyed it.

Thus, he has been with the Chinese S&D till now and will attend full 5 days of enrichments next term based on his interest. I don't know how the teachers manage to convince him to enjoy his lessons but I guess they all have a way.

I would say SJCK is not the place to go if you want your child to excel academically at a young age, but is definitely a place if you want your child to enjoy their pre-school days. My DS loves the school and even want to go to school on weekends, and when he is sick.

hi moxi
we're in PNPG 2010 Session 2
happy.gif

hi pompom
can i know why you think that SJCK is not the place for your child to excel academically at a young age ? i thot they were reputed to be good in preparing kids for P1

Hi Catherine,
Think just average in preparing kids for P1. I have heard children who can't adapt to P1 cos the environment is too different.

If you want kids to know a lot by P1, e.g. good in English and Chinese Spelling, know their Maths well,etc, then you must prepare to put in a lot of hard work with your child at home, send them to enrichment classes or consider putting them at certain PCF centres.

My main purpose of putting my DS in SJCK is I like the environment, the teachers are good and have the patience in handling kids and I want him to have fond memories of pre-school days, instead of teachers complaining every week to me about my DS (this is what happens to my neighbour's son), or he detests going to school.

Maybe some mummies with kids who had graduated or are in K2 can share more with us.

Hi Chomecc,
No activity pack yet lei, I'll check wif her teachers tmr. My DD attends Artloft, Mandeville & I've juz enrolled her in Berries. She likes the lessons, so no plan of pulling her out from any. Ya, I received the email too but has not surf the net for more info. There will be a seminar, will u be attending?

Hi Pom Pom & Catherine,
I have heard mixed comments on SJCK not preparing children adequately for Pr 1. Still I chose SJCK coz I hope my girl will feel comfy and love going to school, so I second Pom Pom's thoughts. Academic,at her age now, to me is secondary....my personal opinion is if a child doesn't like her school, likelihood is she's not going to love learning very much. I certainly do not want to have to force my girl put on her uniform and drag her to school. I'm very happy that she loves her school and teachers
happy.gif

Pom Pom: Can share what are the enrichment classes ur DS is attending? Thanx!

My boy is with session 3. According to teacher the kindermusic lesson has already started since last week. And i asked them why there isn't any activity pack given to us. And she told me that it will only be given after the term.. i find it quite odd...thought the activity pack is suppose to be used as a supplement for kids to practise at home??

Not sure how true is it..

As for enrichment class, mums, care to share more what and where you bring your child to? What is good at Berries? Is there any good enrichment class for maths?

My boy is with session 3. According to teacher the kindermusic lesson has already started since last week. And i asked them why there isn't any activity pack given to us. And she told me that it will only be given after the term.. i find it quite odd...thought the activity pack is suppose to be used as a supplement for kids to practise at home??

Not sure how true is it..

As for enrichment class, mums, care to share more what and where you bring your child to? What is good at Berries? Is there any good enrichment class for maths?

Tinsel,
I agree. Academically, we can reinforce at home. Fond memories of pre-school days is not something that I can give him at home.

The teachers there really teach with loving hearts, at least for DS's class.

When DS was in nursery, there was a boy who threw tantrum and has separation anxiety easily. One teacher can hug him, let him sit on her lap together with the class till he calmed down, while the other teacher taught. As such, this boy loves to go to school.

My boy is very slow in eating. So for the lunch session, his teachers will help to ensure that he finishes at least a bowl of food which I am very happy.

As for enrichments in SJCK this term, he attends Chinese S&D, Art, Science, etc. He has lessons at Mandeville and Berries on weekends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Starystarynite,
I am unsure about Maths enrichments except for the one organises by my RC. I don't want to put DS into too many academic related enrichments, thus causing unnecessary stress for both of us. So far, only Berries is more academic. The rest are more like fun playing enrichments, thus he loves them very much.

Starystarynite: Our kids are in the same class? What's the name of your boy? You dun accept PM. I'll check with the teachers later on the activity pack. You can bring DS for a trial at Berries. The lesson is conducted in a very lively and engaging manner through games, songs & dance, art etc. The teacher is also able to capture the attention of the children. The older children in other classes seems to be happy too. On Maths, I've read rave reviews on Kumon but not my cuppa tea for now as I dunwan to stress DD with the daily worksheets.

PomPom: Is ur DS on violin or piano in Mandeville? DD enjoys playing on my piano and her little keyboard at home, so will continue on with the graduate course. Doubt she can stand straight and stop fidgetting, so violin is a no-no....at least for now.

Don't think same class. Mine is with DD14. Yours?

i have turn on my PM liao...
happy.gif

So, Berries is enrichment for languages?

Kumon is not what i want to consider too. Too stressful for him now...Mine is attending right brain simulation class on Sat. other then that, no other enrichment.

For weekdays, by the time he reaches home already 6+ and very tired. Don't think can attend any more enrichment class.

starynite

Berries is enrichment for Chinese.

I also agree Kumon is too stressful. Not only for the kids, but also for the parents.

Hi Pom Pom,
Just want to share, my girl is currently in K2. So far things have been slow, even the spelling are very basic sight words. Definitely academic wise, the school is not aggresive like some others. But the values and environment is something that is important and the school has done a good job. My girl loves to go to school since N2. It's like a playground for her and when she is home, that is where the work starts. Yes, you definitely have to spend time at home preparing your child for P1, if not to enrichment class or tuition. Kindergarten is only a basic foundation. The problem is some P1 standard has been pushed to such a level that is unreasonable. The gap is too big to bridge, without compromising their childhood. It's a personal choice. Well for the amount you pay for the school fee, it's not that unreasonable as compared to the big names. Just my thots.

tinsel

luckily quota met for KM . o/w will be a pity. teacher said started liao but i also got no pack yet .

catherine

hello
happy.gif
which class is ur child ?
i usually fetch n send her daily , so may hv seen u b4 .
i got to knw quite a few mommies during her orientation .

Hi mummies,

I am sending my girl to PNPG session 3 since 3 weeks ago. I just wonder what happens when it's time for us to register nursery, K1 and K2. I was informed that my girl will have to stick to session 3 for nursery too so I kinda assumed that she'll be automatically assigned to session 3 again without having to worry about all the waiting list and etc again. But how about K1 and K2(it's going to be in Leedon)? When do we decide and inform the school whether to go for seesion 1 or 2? Is it something I should have done already which means my girl will have to be on waiting list again? Please advise.

out of curiosity, anyone had bad encounter with their admin--mainly customer service by R? I am a parent that, without seeing the classroom environment & teachers, I had placed reg fee on wait list. I did that cos of many word of mouth and positve feedback I gathered from forums like here. I have no qualms abt their quality of trs and teaching, and curriculum. However, the words R used when handling the admin was really too appalling for me to stomach. I am utterly disappointed by this kinda service since the other traits of this sch, as mentioned above, are highly rated. Just wondering am I the only one who feels like this?

Give an example, my girl was given a vacancy, but cos bus transport said they are full, we had no choice but to drop it and queue again. We called to check if there is an alternative, or seek their advice, thinking they must hv had this issue countless times, right? But instead of answering professionally, R said in exact words, "No sch bus, is your prob." Gosh! And when she called abt some sch tour appmt, before i could finish my conversation, she cut me short and hung up abruptly. These are just to name a few, each teleconversation with her was an unpleasant experience. Face to face was worse.

Hi Hennie,
My girl attends PNPG Session 3 too. If I'm not wrong, your girl will be allocated to either Session 1/2 based on your choice on the waitlist. Better give the school a ring to confirm. The admin staff confirmed with me when I paid the term fee after the orientation talk.

Hi Emmanuel,
Are u referring to the registrar? Her name starts with R too. However, in my opinion, she is a very nice and helpful lady. She answered my queries patiently and replied to my emails very promptly when I had requested to change from Session 2 to Session 1 on the waitlist & confirmation for Session 3. She even called me personally when I didn't confirm the vacancy for Session 3! So far, I have had pleasant experiences with the admin staff.

So far no issue on the admin staff...

Hi Emmanual,

If you have problem, u might want to talk to Jacqueline. She should be able to handle the issue appropriately.

thanks Tinsel_elf and starystarynite for your feedback. Guess it's my luck perhaps for such service rendered. However, I had a word with their head of admin. She said would get back to me. It's been 3 days since we spoke, I shall see what she has to say. The head of admin was nice though, to listen to my feedback objectively.

And I have heard from insider's info that R has had such track record for being rude to parents. Guess you guys are just fortunate.
happy.gif

And yes starystarynite, I am considering talkng to Jacqueline. But to me, no point now. I have better and more impt things to do. She is just not worth my time.

emmanuel

I cn empathise wat u went thru becos we ever notice R's 'attitude' but we wrote it off as she just having a bad day

starynite / tinselelf

any of u went for the power kids?

hi

my girl has a slot for PNPG 2011 session 2. But I am interested in switching to session 1 instead cos we have recently moved closer to the school. anyone interested in exchanging sessions ?

pls email me [email protected]

thanks
Catherine

Hi everyone,
Anyone has second hand but in good condition uniform, shirt and shorts for PNPG Gal 2011? I believe in recycling. Pls PM me. Thanks.

hello mummies,

My ger will be in pnpg2011 session 3 and then in session1 at leedon in 2012. my boy will be in PNPG2013 session2.

Any mummmies wanna change their son/daughter to session1 at leedon in 2012. We can do a swop cause i want my ger and boy to be in session 2.

Do PM me if interested to change.

Hi Genice

My ger is being offered in pnpg2011 session and session 1 in 2012 as well. Good to know you.

The rest of mommies,
I would like to hear your sharing. I have yet to confirm the registration of girl for next year 2011 pnpg as Im still based overseas with family till march or june. Shd i come back to sg earlier to let ger go to the school or stay put till we retn next year. Similarly I have not registered her for any playgroup or pre-nursery at any kindergarten and i do not know how easily available is the kindergarten places in sg.

I wd hope to enrol her in pte or church kindergarten for grooming of her personality instead of just academically per se.Im not working currently bit not sure how it goes when im back to sg next year.

Hope to hear your views.

Simp,
Do not hesitate. Ur ger will be in good hands and happy in the school. Should not be a problem to put her in next year.

My boy loves school and will ask me if he can go to SJCK during the school holidays. Hahaha. . . . how I wish he can too.

Hi Pompom

Thanks for your sharing. I do hope my child will enjoy going to st james as much as your child.

We were back to Sg recently to visit the school. After the school visit by the VP, we were impressed by the environment of the school. There are water play station, planting by the students, small animals kept by the school to teach the kids about mother nature. We never had a chance to go to a kindergarten with such exposure and I hope my child can grow up well loving the nature and animals. I suppose this is the 1st time i came across kindergarten having primary school environment in mini scale. Now i do understand why this school is a little different from the rest and hence it' preference.

It seems that the school has a pretty balanced approach to allows growing children to learn and play. Not too much on study or play but just enough to engage the kids.

We have confirmed with school on our child next year playgroup. However our child would only join school on the 3rd term when we move back to sg mid 2011. Then afterwhich she would be transferred to leedon campus or stay put in harding campus for the rest of the years. We would probably have to put her on school bus as taking public transport may not be that feasible if it rains.

Simp,
Just curious. Do you have to pay for Term 1 and 2 school fees?

Harding is a very nice campus. Will be a pity if they have to move.

Do you live far away from the school? My boy is taking school bus and I would say you don't have to worry about your child taking it. Prompt and I believe the driver and assistant know the importance of safety. They will call you if they have any uncertainty. E.g. We paid for my boy to take school bus on enrichment days. However, the school bus driver called me on the non-enrichment days to check if we need him to help send my boy home. Very impressive cos I forgot to tell him that! And guess what? It's a different bus driver from the enrichment days.

Hi Pompom

Yes i do have to pay for term 1 and 2 fees in full even though my child is not yet attending. I suppose st james is always in demand so they wont save a place for my child to wait till we are back and waive the terms fees
sad.gif

The school bus system is good. That' a relief to know as i feel 3year old is very young to go on bus without parent' presence so Im still a little concerned. We are living near town but in case I am going to work full-time, i may have to put child with my mil in the western sg. Not sure if school bus has route to there. There is a bit of adjustment to make when we come back. In this case we just firm up a school for child 1st and see how it goes.

My son is with st james session 3 PNPG. And yes, they do have bus for the west. My son is taking the bus. So far so good. Their bus driver is very responsible so far.

Thanks stary for assuring about the bus system for the kids
happy.gif
I feel more at ease hearing more testimony about the bus service.

We are going to move to Newton area soon & thought of moving nearer, the school bus fee would be cheaper, but to my surprise, it is a lot more expensive. I have to top up $80 for 2 kids. Am just wondering any parents staying in that area would like to do car pool? I can pick yours up in the morning & you can do the return trip. Interested, pls pm me for arrangement.

Hi mummies, my son has a place for pm 2012 pre-nursery. I'm worried cos he now takes a nap in the afternoon and I'm wondering how to make him awake till lesson ends around 2 plus. Any mymmies has experience on this?

Dear mummies, my gal will b gng to k1 next yr, session 1. Due to some unforeseen circumstances, we have to change fr session 1 to session 2. If any mummies wishes to change with me, pls drop me an email. Thanks!

Hello,
Any mummies here whose child just completed K2 and will be willing to let go a reader from the set? The title is "Jasmine's Duck". My older girl's book is missing and I need that to have a complete set for my younger gal.
Please drop me a PM.
Thanks.

hello mummies, my boy is going to nursery next year at st james...any mummies want to let go your nursery readers? chinese or english...

thanks
starynite

and for those that have move on to K1 or 2, please do share experience of enrichment class for nursery. Which one can attend and which one is just a waste of time
happy.gif

Thanks...

hello mummies, my ger is in PNPG 2011 session 3 and moving on to Leedon session 1 next yr , however i want to change her to session 2 so she can be in same session as my boy in 2013. Anyone keen to change? session 1 starts at 8 plus, convenient time to drop off kids.

Can Pm me if u are interested to change from Session 2 to Session 1?

Back