Some suggestions

I have been reading this forum and I would like to propose the following in order to make postings easily understood by everyone, regardless of culture, nationality and social background.

a) minimise use of abbreviation. As a start, we should keep to officially accepted abbreviations. For example, the Housing & Development Board (HDB). DH, DD, DS are not officially accepted abbreviations. In addition, before an abbreviation is used, its intended word should be spelt in full, followed by a bracket indicating its abbreviation. For example, ...trying to conceive (TTC).

b) please note that if our intention is to explain getting our children to bed, it is "put the children to bed". When a person is having an operation while being unconscious, it is "under general anesthesia". Please do not use "put to sleep".

c) computers, iPad, smart phones and notebooks are equipped with spellcheck function. Please use this function before submitting a post.

d) avoid using Singlish in posts. I understand there will be people who love speaking in Singlish but Singlish is not meant to be written. There may be non-Singaporeans reading the posts and the use of Singlish make it difficult for them to understand.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Back