Prof PC Wong - IVF with Norethisterone

Hi Cheeka, I just tried to add you via e-mail, let me know if it works. My heartbeat scan is next week, fingers crossed! So far my little bean has been quite 'guai', apart from feeling very tired I don't have any symptoms yet.

BTW, I think I remember you from the previous version of SMH, we might have chatted before!

Good luck for your scan next week. Prof will take good care of you :) in the mean time, try to relax, minimise house chores and talk to little bean often.

Congrats Tewig! And thanks for sharing your story. Currently i am with Prof Wong, NUH. This is my 2nd cycle of fresh ivf after 1st failure at KKIVF.

I was also on Pergoveris plus Gonal F daily. Last Mon they extracted 21 eggs. Only 9 fertilised but today the embryologist informed only 6 embies under satisfactory level now (3 below ave/2 same size/1 poor). Kinda depressed with the numbers & also the embies quality. They will only freeze the embies on D3. Dunno how many will survived till tomorrow.

I've high expectation on the embies quality right after reading Tewig's success story. But I guess, each med produce different results individually :(

I'll only be doing my ET 6wks later cos im risk of Ohss. :confused:

@cahyasuci This forum has been quite quiet lately. Im not sure where is everybody now... :) Congrats for moving on to your 2nd cycle! And congrats for having 6 satisfactory embies! There are many sisters here which do not respond well to medication and cannot extract so many eggs compared to you... so dont be depressed okay? All we need is one. Have faith! And take care of yourself so that you dont develop OHSS. Drink plenty of fluid (electrolytes) and eat more protein. Take care!

Hello cheeka & hopemiracle!

Thanks for replying dearies :)

hope & cheeka, congrats to u both too! May u both have a smooth 9 month & healthy always!

The embryologist already update that 6 embies grade satisfactory are ready for frozen starting from today, D3. Chr nurse informed me that the transfer could be 2 mths from now since I have irregular menses (due to PCOS) hence I need to be on medication bef ET.

hope, u r rite. Need to prep my body for ET. Is it still possible for me to go acu rite now? And can I still do my daily routine cardio & toning exercises bef ET?

cheeka, thanks fr the advices! Yes I agreed we only need one to be a mummy!.. Amazingly my bloatedness not as severe as my 1st cycle. ;)

just wondering what's the protocol like bef the transfer. Will it be the same as FET...? Hmmm

Hi dear, it will be good to go for acu during these 2 months to prepare ur womb. Make full use of this period to help ur womb reach the optimum state before ET.
Watch what u eat too, it goes hand in hand w the acu and Chinese herbs if u plan to take.
I still jog and exercise during my tiaoing period, stopped only after I conceived. I think it is ok as long as ur body can take it.

I did natural FET cos I ovulate monthly. So basically no med and go back for regular scan until ovulation and ET will be planned.
I am not too certain abt medicated FET. Maybe u can scroll backwards and see what the sisters shared.

Hopemiracle: u mention what u eat too,goes hand in hand with tcm..may I know u referring to eating more healthily, like no fried, spicy foods? Or refer to what ur tcm dr advice what to eat or not to? My tcm don't share with me what I should or shouldn't eat..thanks..

Hi dear, it will be good to go for acu during these 2 months to prepare ur womb. Make full use of this period to help ur womb reach the optimum state before ET.
Watch what u eat too, it goes hand in hand w the acu and Chinese herbs if u plan to take.
I still jog and exercise during my tiaoing period, stopped only after I conceived. I think it is ok as long as ur body can take it.

I did natural FET cos I ovulate monthly. So basically no med and go back for regular scan until ovulation and ET will be planned.
I am not too certain abt medicated FET. Maybe u can scroll backwards and see what the sisters shared.

u do already the natural frozen? lucky u. mine although mensus regular but cycle aborted halfway coz lining did not meet the requirement till ovulation. so next is medicated liao.

Hi bbfaith, i mean wat we eat in general. I avoided the cooling stuff like coconut or coconut-based food curry, laksa etc, reduced or no caffeine at all, soup like lotus soup and old cucumber soup I also forgo. Basically cos I took Chinese med to Tiao, I told myself to avoid food that counteracts the effects. Maybe u can try to ask ur sinseh, different body prob different, so u need to ask wat food is good or bad. Even for my hub, sinseh also say to avoid certain food like green tea, lotus paste etc, again, he advised after he took he pulse, v subjective.

Babydusty, my natural FET was in Sept last year, all quite smooth except I had delayed ovulation on CD 16. We went ahead w lining between 9-10mm, had a chemical preg in the end.
u didn't opt to do natural again?

Hi bbfaith, i mean wat we eat in general. I avoided the cooling stuff like coconut or coconut-based food curry, laksa etc, reduced or no caffeine at all, soup like lotus soup and old cucumber soup I also forgo. Basically cos I took Chinese med to Tiao, I told myself to avoid food that counteracts the effects. Maybe u can try to ask ur sinseh, different body prob different, so u need to ask wat food is good or bad. Even for my hub, sinseh also say to avoid certain food like green tea, lotus paste etc, again, he advised after he took he pulse, v subjective.

Babydusty, my natural FET was in Sept last year, all quite smooth except I had delayed ovulation on CD 16. We went ahead w lining between 9-10mm, had a chemical preg in the end.

nope @hopemiracle30 , its so stressed to scan each day just to monitor the lining and follicle till ovulation. I cannot take it and taking time off den back to work is so tiring. Medicated shall be it for the next one.

Good morning! May u ladies have a nice week ahead!

Hi bb_hc, I am on an tai Med from my sinseh.
Usually gynae won't recommend u to take cos they are concerned abt what is inside the herbs and are there traces of toxic metals etc which can be teratogenic to the baby. If u keen to take, must take from reliable practitioner.

Good morning! May u ladies have a nice week ahead!

Hi bb_hc, I am on an tai Med from my sinseh.
Usually gynae won't recommend u to take cos they are concerned abt what is inside the herbs and are there traces of toxic metals etc which can be teratogenic to the baby. If u keen to take, must take from reliable practitioner.
Thanks. Can I know which Sin seh you taking from? Just don't want to sit there and do nothing. And at the same time worried If eat the wrong stuff.

Oh so i'm opposite from you. Dr Que advised me to avoid all heaty foods. No spicy food, reduce chicken, beef and lamb so i'm only left with pork/fish/veggie diet.
But in general, different bodies will require different diets best is to visit the gynae. Don't bother heading to herbal shops that just sell herbs without taking your pulse coz they will advise based on general knowledge. I was told to eat heaty foods when i first visited EYS, Hock Hua etc etc end up...the moment i stop, i got preggers natural even after those IVF injections.

Hello hope!! Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely start my acu soon. But I'm not sure if I wanna take the herbs as well. Sometimes d herbs are more ex than the acu itself. Heehe.. :D

Prof Wong recommends me Hua Mei Acu at B.Merah under Dr Zhu Ping. Not sure if anyone heard her bef. According to Prof, she understands how ivf works & speaks english. I'll make appt soon and see how it goes.

babydusty, i'm going for fet as well. Most prob medicated since i hv irregular menses plus no ovulation.

Some says, acu can improve our womb lining? Is it really true? Mine starting soon... i also not sure how good is my lining.. btw, how to do the red bean soup ah?

Anyway how frequent shud we go Acu to maximize the chances? 2 times a week is enuff? :rolleyes:

Hi Cahyasuci, regarding red bean soup, can buy at dessert shop? I think acu does help to improve the general health of the womb. I started acupuncture for more than one year before finally bfp-ed. I didn't take the tcm herbs though. My frequency was twice a week before ovulation. Once ovulated, she said not recommended to continue with acu. So I did about 3-5 times of acu per month for more than a year.

Hi thot of gg thru IVF. Can anyone enlighten me. Why we need to take Nor-e on D18 from CD1? And then when does the self injection starts?

Hi @lily14 I think nore is to be taken on D18 of the previous ivf cycle. Once u stop eating it, your menses should come within 2-3 days. When your menses come, that's the CD1.

From what I read and some others shared also is that nore is actually a progesterone. It is used to time your menses to come. The purpose is for CHR to schedule all ivf-ers, I think. Some ladies, knowing that they are going to start IVF soon, might feel stressed and hence, menses could be delayed for few days or weeks (without nor-e). It's difficult for CHR to plan their resources that way.

Hi everyone, it's been awhile since i last came here.. Congrats tewig and thanks for sharing your story. I'm currently waiting to do natural FET. Im at day 16 of my cycle and my follicle is 'taking its time to grow' according to Prof :(.. Its only 12mm and my lining is 6mm. He says that by day 20 if my follicle doesnt grow to 18mm the FET will not happen this cycle. Do you ladies know thick must the lining be and how big your follicle must grow in order for the FET to happen?

A good friend of mine told me that the lab would be closing in April..has anyone heard about this? If this cycle is abandoned i might have ti wait till May if the lab is really closing some time in April...

Been going to Dr Que 3x and been taking his herbs religiously, i also go for yoga 3x a week and watching my food intake.. Qute disappointed at the thought of abandoning this cycle..but its ok, good things come to those who wait right? :rolleyes:

Hi cheeka, thanks for the info. The nurse told me to contact her when I get my AF in end Apr, and if Nore is to induce menses...then how and when the ivf process starts? Am totally confused.:(

babydusty, i'm going for fet as well. Most prob medicated since i hv irregular menses plus no ovulation.

Some says, acu can improve our womb lining? Is it really true? Mine starting soon... i also not sure how good is my lining.. btw, how to do the red bean soup ah?

Anyway how frequent shud we go Acu to maximize the chances? 2 times a week is enuff? :rolleyes:

Hi dear, I started with 2 times a week acu then intensified to 3 times per week when my sinseh recommended me.
You may like to check with your sinseh about the schedule.

Hi cheeka, thanks for the info. The nurse told me to contact her when I get my AF in end Apr, and if Nore is to induce menses...then how and when the ivf process starts? Am totally confused.:(

Hi lily14,

Had you done all your necessary blood test like HIV etc?

I hope I am right about the process... sharing based on my bad memory. Cheeka, please add on.
When your mensus report, nurse will ask you to go in and they will give NOR-E to start on the cd18 for about 9 days (for me), the duration may vary. Soon after, your AF should report a few days after the last tab of NOR-E. I rem I was given the jab starting on CD 2 of my cycle and the injection began. In between, you will be scheduled for scans to check for follicle growth and also to monitor the lining thickness. Thereafter, if everything is good, meaning follicle sizes reached the requirement of 17.5mm and above, they will arrange for ER (Egg retrieval), the lining also must reach at least 8-9mm. On day of ER, your hub must contribute the army troop so that they can fertilise the eggs with the troop and then monitor for growth. ET (Egg transfer) is usually 3 days or 5 days after ER, depending on the development of the embryos. After the ER, the embryologist will call u the next day to update about how many eggs are fertilised. If i dun rem wrongly, they grading will be told on the 2nd day after ER, good or satisfactory grade. Then if all is well, they will update u and tell u when to come in for ET.

I think long time ago I posted a summary of my fresh cycle, u may want to go through and have a look. I cannot rem much in details.
Rem to take one step at time.

Btw, while waiting, hope u are visiting chinese sinseh to tiao your body. This is essential to build ur body up to produce good eggies.

Hi everyone, it's been awhile since i last came here.. Congrats tewig and thanks for sharing your story. I'm currently waiting to do natural FET. Im at day 16 of my cycle and my follicle is 'taking its time to grow' according to Prof :(.. Its only 12mm and my lining is 6mm. He says that by day 20 if my follicle doesnt grow to 18mm the FET will not happen this cycle. Do you ladies know thick must the lining be and how big your follicle must grow in order for the FET to happen?

A good friend of mine told me that the lab would be closing in April..has anyone heard about this? If this cycle is abandoned i might have ti wait till May if the lab is really closing some time in April...

Been going to Dr Que 3x and been taking his herbs religiously, i also go for yoga 3x a week and watching my food intake.. Qute disappointed at the thought of abandoning this cycle..but its ok, good things come to those who wait right? :rolleyes:

Ni peanut_2.0, ur lining has to be 8mm onwards to be ideal. Usually follicle at 18 - 18.5mm, means u have ovulate. If by day 20 it doesnt grow, tht means u did not ovulate on that month. So that why they have to cancel the natural fet.

I dont know about lab closing in April, nurse never say anything.

if the lab really close in Apr, it doesnt affect anything. Because CHR still open, just lab close for washing i guess. I believe after the Nor-E and ER will be around May liao.

Hopemiracle30, yes have done all the blood test.....thank u so much for the vivid explanation. But am wondering why the nurse told me to contact her in apr and not mar AF.....since it will be inducing menses.....sigh. Am gonna call the nurse tmr

Hopemiracle how are u n baby. Are u in second ttrimester. Btw I went to see dr que on wed. Quite nice person. Advise me on diet to follow and did acu. He will brew herbs for me n hubby. Are the herbs ok. Any reaction to body. He mentioned my reporductive organs have lack of energy n weak. So need to strengthen. Stamina also need to better. Hubby exercise can liao. My stim starts on mid apr. Hope can strike this time. Am on long cycle as I have taken lucrin so menses n will straight go for stim

Hi lily14, you prob have to call and ask. I started Nor-E in June last year and jab began in July.

Hi mesara, I m good. Now in my 18th week.
I suppose Dr Que is preparing u to produce good eggs. Do take the herbs and go down for acu as directed.
Do keep us posted about ur progress. Rem, take one step at a time :)

Wow @hopemiracle30 How time flies now that you're in your second trimester..how are you feeling? When will you know if your baby is a boy or girl?

Thanks @babydusty i'm going to see Dr Que later because he wants to know the result of my scan. Im finally not feeling so sad at the prospect of not doing my FET this cycle since my follicle is only 12mm yesterday. Told myself that i shoudn't rush. If my body is not ready then i should let take its time until it's fully ready to be reunited with my embbies..

Thanks @babydusty i'm going to see Dr Que later because he wants to know the result of my scan. Im finally not feeling so sad at the prospect of not doing my FET this cycle since my follicle is only 12mm yesterday. Told myself that i shoudn't rush. If my body is not ready then i should let take its time until it's fully ready to be reunited with my embbies..

yup sad decision to make. i know how it feels since ur waiting for this to come. like i cancel mine at day 4 scanning, follicle 18.5 liao but lining still stay 6mm! so ovulating soon with bad lining so i cancel it. dont want to waste my precious only one frozen embryo.

how many days scan are you now? better to decide now. i only did 4 scan and 1 blood test it cost me $530+. since i cancel it i did not use medisave. so save it for new medicated cycle.

u should do consider medicated cycle, lesser stress! just that its a little bit of longer cycle.

Wow @hopemiracle30! I think to know the baby's gender is another milestone in one's pregnancy isn't it? Its so exciting!

@babydusty Tomorrow will be my day 18 scan...so far Prof has not asked me to take any blood test. I didn't know that I could make the call whether to continue scanning or just abandon. I just had a discussion with my hubby whether to go for medicated or to try another cycle of natural FET.. I'm just a bit apprehensive about adding more medication in my body.. But inslso fesr that time is running out because my leave will end in June. I understand that medicated FET will take roughly 6 weeks.. So I'm in a dilemma.. :(

Thanks cheeka & hope!

Yes, I think its easier to just buy red bean soup at the dessert shop :D

Just started my acu today. Dr Zhu suggests me to do acu 3x a week. Hopefully, acu helps me to improve my womb condition!..

Hi ladies.. Its a no go for me. Day 20, my lining is still 6 and my follicle even shrank to 11 from 13.5.. Told the prof that i would want to try natural for next cycle but he told me if my menses come before 26th march, it will fall during the lab closing. He also told me if i changed my mind and want to do medicated i can still call the clinic but i have ti start taking the oral meds on day 3..

Can anyone share with me the protocol for medicated FET and any side effects that you experienced from the meds? Thanks ladies..

Hi ladies.. Its a no go for me. Day 20, my lining is still 6 and my follicle even shrank to 11 from 13.5.. Told the prof that i would want to try natural for next cycle but he told me if my menses come before 26th march, it will fall during the lab closing. He also told me if i changed my mind and want to do medicated i can still call the clinic but i have ti start taking the oral meds on day 3..

Can anyone share with me the protocol for medicated FET and any side effects that you experienced from the meds? Thanks ladies..

I can share with u the protocol but side effect i dont know yet. coz I will be starting when my mensus come this week. Already collected my medicine when my natural fet failed due to lining also. So when u decide to proceed and purchase ur medicine, just prepare $400 for it. So you wont get shock like me. hahaha

Starting first day mensus, Day 1 to Day 21, oral Mercilon (contraceptive pill)

On day 14, come for jab, bring the jab medicine that you have purchase. CHR nurse will jab for u. Decapeptyl jab, this medicine the one cost most expensive, $300+ worth. (I forget to ask the nurse what this jab is for. Anybody here knows?)

After the 21 days mercilon, wait for mensus to come. On day 1 to 3 mensus, come for blood test FSH, E2 and LH.

Wait for nurse to call, she will tell when to proceed next oral medicine, Prognova, this is for 14 days. This is so call to help build our lining. Day 14 come for scan.

If lining still not ideal, continue Prognova and scan till lining ideal. Thats it.

Thanks @babydusty ! No wonder they say it will take 6 weeks. I see, you have to take mercilon from day 1. Prof said day 3.. Now i'm wondering whether i should call the clinic soon as taking from day 1 means i would need to get the meds soon.. Expecting to get my menses in the first week of april..

Thanks so much once again for sharing!

Thanks @babydusty ! No wonder they say it will take 6 weeks. I see, you have to take mercilon from day 1. Prof said day 3.. Now i'm wondering whether i should call the clinic soon as taking from day 1 means i would need to get the meds soon.. Expecting to get my menses in the first week of april..

Thanks so much once again for sharing!

Yup definitely if you decide to start when ur mensus come. And have to take in advance because the pharmacy sometimes out of stock. Like when i purchase mine, i had only one box of Prognova, so less of three more box. But lucky Prognova is later part, so when i come for jab, call Pharmacy in advance so they can reserve it for me. Especially the 14th day jab, CHR nurse told me to purchase in advance, scared out of stock. Den if day come no medicine to jab, start all over again the cycle, wasted.

He don't talk much. But should be good. Me and one of the sis here bfp under him recently . Now week 7.

true he doesnt talk much. dont like to explain. but i no choice coz under subsidy, always kena this silent doctor. and yes he is very experience in retrieve and transfer of embryo. i bfp b4 under him but end in miscarriage.

true he doesnt talk much. dont like to explain. but i no choice coz under subsidy, always kena this silent doctor. and yes he is very experience in retrieve and transfer of embryo. i bfp b4 under him but end in miscarriage.
Hi babydusty, sorry to hear that, I am also worried. If you don't mind, can share how it happens? What's the cause of the miscarriage? I am a private patient and chose Dr Stephen because I think he's number 2 at NUH. And should not be as busy as Prof Wong.

Hi babydusty, sorry to hear that, I am also worried. If you don't mind, can share how it happens? What's the cause of the miscarriage? I am a private patient and chose Dr Stephen because I think he's number 2 at NUH. And should not be as busy as Prof Wong.

its just because of embryo quality... when i bfp it was only 76 and i was spotting for a week. but hcg increase per normal but spotting was still on and off. scan also showed no sac but when it appear sac was growing too slow hence i waited and miscarriage naturally. no doctor could save due to embryo quality. :)

Back