Prof PC Wong - IVF with Norethisterone

Aiyo I see ur msg I feel like crying leh monkey chick... although I know is a good decision for u because everyone needs a break from ttc after some time. Cannot keep going like a robot. I wish u all the best... will be praying fervently that u tio this cycle so u can leave on a high note! Hug hug

Tq so much chloeng!...muackzz
Hav really learnt from the harsh reality...watever will b,will b..;)
So high hopes, low expectations...Im packing up n picking up bit n pieces of my emotions alr...preparing myself to move on to another chapter of life...:)

Ladies,

Jus to share with u...this shld b my last fet...
hubby n myself hav discussed n decided...rationality is also sounding, loudly..coming fet is my 9th cycle...

Works or dun...we r walking away...mayb we will b back next year, mayb not anymore...Im going back to work, life still hav to go on...we will jus leave it to fate if to come back or nt...hubby feels that is time for me to take a break...after seeing me gone through all the physical ,emotional pains & mental burden

I will treasure this remaining 1 mth with u ladies...really glad to hav joined the forum n noe u ladies...no regrets on this journey with u alongside...muackzz
It's great knowing you, I have gained a lot from your sharing. It's also one of the discussion with my husband before we embark on this road, how many times do we want to try. I told him I can try till I'm 40, but after the first round of failed fresh cycle, the emotional rollercoaster, walking on tip toe, tracking on every "symptom", I am also not sure how many round I can endure. It's like watching my own scary movie.

Everyone is only given one life, and we should spend it happily. You have fought so hard and if taking a break makes you a happier person, why not? My greatest fear is to lie on my dying bed regretting the battle I didn't fight when I had the chance.

Ladies,

hubby n myself hav discussed n decided...rationality is also sounding, loudly..coming fet is my 9th cycle...

Works or dun...we r walking away...mayb we will b back next year, mayb not anymore...Im going back to work, life still hav to go on...we will jus leave it to fate if to come back or nt...hubby feels that is time for me to take a break...after seeing me gone through all the physical ,emotional pains & mental burden

I will treasure this remaining 1 mth with u ladies...really glad to hav joined the forum n noe u ladies...no regrets on this journey with u alongside...muackzz
Must have been an emotional discussion between you and GorillaCock :(

I think importantly, both of you know you have already put in an extraordinary amount of effort during these 9 cycles.. There is simply no regrets already..

BUT BUT BUT..

The reason why the past 8 cycles have failed could be because if they were born earlier they cannot be OrangutanBabies!! The Two are meant to be them!! :)

It's great knowing you, I have gained a lot from your sharing. It's also one of the discussion with my husband before we embark on this road, how many times do we want to try. I told him I can try till I'm 40, but after the first round of failed fresh cycle, the emotional rollercoaster, walking on tip toe, tracking on every "symptom", I am also not sure how many round I can endure. It's like watching my own scary movie.

Everyone is only given one life, and we should spend it happily. You have fought so hard and if taking a break makes you a happier person, why not? My greatest fear is to lie on my dying bed regretting the battle I didn't fight when I had the chance.

Yeah man...really well said!..Along the journey, I became very obsessive abt the outcome n not wanting to walk away with nothing...n I forgot, the outcome is really not determined by us...

Had a very long n on/off discussion with hubby, esp after he saw my guilt-stricken side after grandma pass on n how I said it's a regret, he strongly felt it's time to bring me away alr...

Ytd I saw my young cousin post...
"Regrets in life are not about failures but things you want to do but never did"...I woke up...if a young gal understands this..why can't I?

So now I hav no more regrets...:)

Must have been an emotional discussion between you and GorillaCock :(

I think importantly, both of you know you have already put in an extraordinary amount of effort during these 9 cycles.. There is simply no regrets already..

BUT BUT BUT..

The reason why the past 8 cycles have failed could be because if they were born earlier they cannot be OrangutanBabies!! The Two are meant to be them!! :)

Lolz!!!u r forever so lovely n encouraging...pinch pinch cheeks...cuddle u...muackzzz....:D

Last edited:
A big hello to all the strong
fighters here. A brief summary about myself. I am with nuh and was diagnose with pcos many years back. In 2011, bfp from nuh in 2nd iui + puregon. Bless with a healthy baby.

In 2015, decided to try for a 2nd child. 1st attempt in another hospital with iui + puregon but fail. I was on puregon for 28 days, before the follicles are of right size. Not easy period and I also decided to sacrifice career. In Mar 2015, we attempt 2nd iui in nuh. We bfp in 3rd attempt in May. But unfortunately miscarried just two weeks ago.

(1) I am not yet given green light for ivf. But would like to find out if we opt to go ivf, would it automatically be private patient and one particular doctor will be assigned to us?

(2) Can we choose to remain as subsidized patient ? If yes, is it only Dr Lim and Dr Shakina. Because I understand that Prof Wong, Dr Chew and Dr Anu are all only for private patients.

Hope to get some light from this thread..Thank you!

CHR has finally gotten back to me and letting me start a week earlier so that hopefully my 2ww will not clash with my mum op date..

But then likely prof will not be around to do OR or ET for me already :(((

Should I request for dr chew or dr anu to do for me??

Reading some post on tilted uterus, mine is also tilted to the back. Once the radiographer commented that people with tilted uterus seems to have more problems with getting preg! But once she saw my shocked face, she immediately said her friend with tilted uterus managed to conceive naturally too.. So I don't know she's bluffing me or what..

During ET I also drank too much water that I could feel bladder pain.. Really regretted. This time round I'm gg to drink less water..

@MonkeyChick It must be a difficult decision & i applaud your bravery! Not everyone can let go & u are taking a step at that. So proud of u.
What's meant to be will be & u've tried your very best. Ur future kids would be proud of you at ur perseverance :)

@MonkeyChick It must be a difficult decision & i applaud your bravery! Not everyone can let go & u are taking a step at that. So proud of u.
What's meant to be will be & u've tried your very best. Ur future kids would be proud of you at ur perseverance :)

Tq my dear...I will always rem u as long as I rem FD....n how u created trauma after 1 sentence n went behind the scene for a while...lolzzz

Really luv u ladies to the max!

CHR has finally gotten back to me and letting me start a week earlier so that hopefully my 2ww will not clash with my mum op date..

Reading some post on tilted uterus, mine is also tilted to the back. Once the radiographer commented that people with tilted uterus seems to have more problems with getting preg! But once she saw my shocked face, she immediately said her friend with tilted uterus managed to conceive naturally too.. So I don't know she's bluffing me or what..

During ET I also drank too much water that I could feel bladder pain.. Really regretted. This time round I'm gg to drink less water..

remembeRainbow is a positive eg of tilted uterus...stay positive ya...

fighters here. A brief summary about myself. I am with nuh and was diagnose with pcos many years back. In 2011, bfp from nuh in 2nd iui + puregon. Bless with a healthy baby.

In 2015, decided to try for a 2nd child. 1st attempt in another hospital with iui + puregon but fail. I was on puregon for 28 days, before the follicles are of right size. Not easy period and I also decided to sacrifice career. In Mar 2015, we attempt 2nd iui in nuh. We bfp in 3rd attempt in May. But unfortunately miscarried just two weeks ago.

(1) I am not yet given green light for ivf. But would like to find out if we opt to go ivf, would it automatically be private patient and one particular doctor will be assigned to us?

(2) Can we choose to remain as subsidized patient ? If yes, is it only Dr Lim and Dr Shakina. Because I understand that Prof Wong, Dr Chew and Dr Anu are all only for private patients.

So sorry to hear abt ur loss...hugzz...

U hav very good results n success rates with IUI...jus curious y the intention to proceed with invasive,expensive ivf process when u hav seen such good results from IUIs?

Ladies,

As I was reading your post, tears are welling up in my eyes. I had a failed so-iui, and I was already so traumatized that we decided to go into ivf right away. However the first fresh was BFN too.. But I told myself that I should try until I have exhausted all my funds so that I'll have no regrets in future. This forum really gave me so much courage to continue this tough journey. There's a saying, only people who encounter the same situation will be able to understand the real pain. No one else will be able to understand us besides all these sisters here.

@MonkeyChick, I sincerely hope that you will achieve your goal this time round!
I agar that my OR will take place in end aug/early sept if nothing goes wrong! Will u be my cycling buddy?

remembeRainbow is a positive eg of tilted uterus...stay positive ya...
I asked prof abt tilted uterus during his ivf seminar.
His response was something like "I don't know where in the world u all get the info that tilted uterus causes infertility. Some even went to op to turn it back... It's just like being left-handed.. It's not usual but there's nothing wrong abt it"

I conceived naturally a few years bk with a very tilted uterus. So no worries. Think the difficulty conceiving was an old believe, now doctors don't subscribe to this anymore. Don't worry abt the uterus positioning!

His response was something like "I don't know where in the world u all get the info that tilted uterus causes infertility. Some even went to op to turn it back... It's just like being left-handed.. It's not usual but there's nothing wrong abt it"

Dreamscometrue's case...from the radiographer lo...she mentioned it...she will b relieved to see ur case n lucasmum case...

It has never been a concern to me coz Dr Anu has nvr told me it's a problem...jus tt mine is tilted...n dun lift up legs/butt after BD...lol

Last edited:
As I was reading your post, tears are welling up in my eyes. I had a failed so-iui, and I was already so traumatized that we decided to go into ivf right away. However the first fresh was BFN too.. But I told myself that I should try until I have exhausted all my funds so that I'll have no regrets in future. This forum really gave me so much courage to continue this tough journey. There's a saying, only people who encounter the same situation will be able to understand the real pain. No one else will be able to understand us besides all these sisters here.

@MonkeyChick, I sincerely hope that you will achieve your goal this time round!
I agar that my OR will take place in end aug/early sept if nothing goes wrong! Will u be my cycling buddy?

U will hav lots of cycling buddies in Sep to fight alongside with u...

If things run in sequence for me...I shld b in 2ww during end Aug...adjusting my emotions to wrap up the ivf chapter liao...;)

Fighting huh!As long as u can,as far as u can...fight on...:D

So sorry to hear abt ur loss...hugzz...

U hav very good results n success rates with IUI...jus curious y the intention to proceed with invasive,expensive ivf process when u hav seen such good results from IUIs?

Hi Monkey chick, by the way all the best to your upcoming cycle!

As for me, my dose for puregon is high, partly bcos I gave put on lots of weight over the years. Thought not sure about the whole process for ivf, there are docs that mention my dose is equal to some ivfers. So with the age + weight, I am considering going for ivf. Another hospital is keen for me to go for ivf. Whereas in nuh, one doc may give green light, and another may not. Thou' i am not given an option now; as my green light is overwritten by a red light. I do respect the decision, but is good to find out more about the doctor handling the private patients and subsidized patients. I am trying to weight the pros and cons in view that financially we would have some concern if the battle drags on.

Sorry for your loss...

From what I know of NUH doctors, they would not recommend IVF as it's considered the last resort.. They will always try to be as conservative and as least invasive as possible with their treatment

I was practically pleading to switch to ivf because I've failed so many rounds with clomid/IUIs already (I was with another gynae previously).. And I spoke to prof, dr chew and dr Anu (cos prof was away for a while).. But all 3 were unanimous in wanting me to try IUI for three attempts under them.. Because hubby and I had pretty good "stats" for all the tests and scans..

But we understand their good intentions la.. Cos ivf is really much more invasive (both physically and mentally).. And the difference in magnitude in terms of cost is really significant

So I'm guessing with your previous bfps, they would prob want you to persevere with IUI

Hi Monkey chick, by the way all the best to your upcoming cycle!

As for me, my dose for puregon is high, partly bcos I gave put on lots of weight over the years. Thought not sure about the whole process for ivf, there are docs that mention my dose is equal to some ivfers. So with the age + weight, I am considering going for ivf. Another hospital is keen for me to go for ivf. Whereas in nuh, one doc may give green light, and another may not. Thou' i am not given an option now; as my green light is overwritten by a red light. I do respect the decision, but is good to find out more about the doctor handling the private patients and subsidized patients. I am trying to weight the pros and cons in view that financially we would have some concern if the battle drags on.

Thanks for the well wishes...;)
Personally I feel that u shld consider ivf vs iui in terms of costs, physical invasion, complicated procedures & downtime. Ur IUI track records look promising...:D

For 1), i think u will b a private patient if u request to see only a particular doc..but do note that if ur doc is away, u will see her/his backup doc
For 2), im not sure...ladies will b able to ans u pretty well on this...:)

Sorry for your loss...

From what I know of NUH doctors, they would not recommend IVF as it's considered the last resort.. They will always try to be as conservative and as least invasive as possible with their treatment

I was practically pleading to switch to ivf because I've failed so many rounds with clomid/IUIs already (I was with another gynae previously).. And I spoke to prof, dr chew and dr Anu (cos prof was away for a while).. But all 3 were unanimous in wanting me to try IUI for three attempts under them.. Because hubby and I had pretty good "stats" for all the tests and scans..

But we understand their good intentions la.. Cos ivf is really much more invasive (both physically and mentally).. And the difference in magnitude in terms of cost is really significant

So I'm guessing with your previous bfps, they would prob want you to persevere with IUI
Agree with this. If i can succeed with iui at all I won't try ivf... since I go thru both I know ivf is no walk in the park. For me with MFI I also had to go thru three failed iui with nuh before he allow ivf... no regrets at all because I wanna satisfy myself that I exhausted easier options before going for the invasive one.

What I know iui has very low success rates so the fact u can even bfp twice... I personally would continue with it. IMHO

Personally I feel that u shld consider ivf vs iui in terms of costs, physical invasion, complicated procedures & downtime. Ur IUI track records look promising...:D

For 1), i think u will b a private patient if u request to see only a particular doc..but do note that if ur doc is away, u will see her/his backup doc
I'm a subsidized patient in NUH and all my stim and scan are done by Dr Lim, and I am very comfortable with him. My ER was done by prof, ET by Dr Shakina and review after ET by Dr Anu. I am
ok with all the different doctors as they are all very well trained under prof's guidance.

On a side note ah. Do you ladies think this thread shd change its name? Ivf at NUH or sth?
Bump up this topic.

Any objection if I send a message to admin requesting a change of thread name to something more generic instead of specifically Prof?

And any suggestion if want to change?

Sorry for your loss...

Agree with this. If i can succeed with iui at all I won't try ivf... since I go thru both I know ivf is no walk in the park. For me with MFI I also had to go thru three failed iui with nuh before he allow ivf... no regrets at all because I wanna satisfy myself that I exhausted easier options before going for the invasive one.

What I know iui has very low success rates so the fact u can even bfp twice... I personally would continue with it. IMHO

I'm a subsidized patient in NUH and all my stim and scan are done by Dr Lim, and I am very comfortable with him. My ER was done by prof, ET by Dr Shakina and review after ET by Dr Anu. I am
ok with all the different doctors as they are all very well trained under prof's guidance.

Thank you for all the valuable feedback, Veraine, MonkeyChick, Chloe and mimidestiny. Thanks a lot for the advice and the super fast respond.

Veraine, pardon me for asking, any reason for the failed iui since stats outlook is good?

Mimidestiny, indeed i love the nuh team, of cos not to forget Dr Chew. I am grateful to have him around some of the critical time.
May I check how much is the range of overall cost for one ivf for subsidized patient?

Bump up this topic.

Any objection if I send a message to admin requesting a change of thread name to something more generic instead of specifically Prof?

And any suggestion if want to change?

I think here are mainly prof's patients. I think is fine for the name to remain, particularly all ivf patient has to go thru him at least once be it sub or non sub. That show how responsible he is. I believe his patients will want it to be his thread. Hope all fighters don't mind my little participation in this thread..

Thank you for all the valuable feedback, Veraine, MonkeyChick, Chloe and mimidestiny. Thanks a lot for the advice and the super fast respond.

Veraine, pardon me for asking, any reason for the failed iui since stats outlook is good?

Mimidestiny, indeed i love the nuh team, of cos not to forget Dr Chew. I am grateful to have him around some of the critical time.
May I check how much is the range of overall cost for one ivf for subsidized patient?
For me was good number of follicles, good sizes, growth of follicles were normal, good lining ... my hubby's SA results were good in the first place and count was very high after washing

Prof said IUI failures are usually down to 5 reasons:
- never ovulate
- sperm never travel
- fertilisation didn't take place
- fertilised egg never implant
- implant already never stick

So could be any of these reasons, or other reasons which are not so common o_O

I think here are mainly prof's patients. I think is fine for the name to remain, particularly all ivf patient has to go thru him at least once be it sub or non sub. That show how responsible he is. I believe his patients will want it to be his thread. Hope all fighters don't mind my little participation in this thread..
Why would we mind your participation in the thread? Aiyoh! Forums are meant for people to participate in! Hehe

I brought it up because I wasn't sure if people who are considering or just started with NUH will know that this thread has many NUH patients participating.

But I'm also good with it staying the way it is :)

Hi remembeRainbow.. Not sure if u remember me- but u had previously given me advice on jumping ship fr kk to nuh..

I jumped le.. :p

Re the ivf seminar.. How do u all know about the seminar? When prof will hold it etc.. Ask who?

If I'm not mistaken there is no difference in price in the medication, ET and ER. Doctor consultation price I'm not too sure. My first fresh cycle is 100+ in excess of 12300 (6300+6000) because I have frozen embryos. Without the snow babies, it's about 11000 plus, no cash required.

I paid 30 for the 1 appt I had with prof, so I think consultation is subsidised.

Frankly I don't understand all the push on IUIs. The success rate is so very low, like 10%. For a healthy couple the rate of natural conception is the same as this, so to me the value is very questionable. I wish I didn't spent so many months on the IUIs...

For me was good number of follicles, good sizes, growth of follicles were normal, good lining ... my hubby's SA results were good in the first place and count was very high after washing

- never ovulate
- sperm never travel

If I'm not mistaken there is no difference in price in the medication, ET and ER. Doctor consultation price I'm not too sure. My first fresh cycle is 100+ in excess of 12300 (6300+6000) because I have frozen embryos. Without the snow babies, it's about 11000 plus, no cash required.

I paid 30 for the 1 appt I had with prof, so I think consultation is subsidised.

Hihi Veraine, thanks for the reply. Emm.. that is really lot of reasons..Art is really art. Not everything has a solid good reason. That makes this journey so mysterious and fearful.

Thanks Mimidestiny. The cash part is not high if medisave is involve. For me jus my iui, puregon, inserts and scan cost 2500 in total per cycle due to the high dose of medication I used. =(
Really sweat...

Hi remembeRainbow.. Not sure if u remember me- but u had previously given me advice on jumping ship fr kk to nuh..

Re the ivf seminar.. How do u all know about the seminar? When prof will hold it etc.. Ask who?
Hi! I jump into reply! heehee! The CHR team will inforn you of the next seminar once you are confirmed doing IVF. :) Alternatively, you can check with the nurses.

- never ovulate
- sperm never travel

I was a bit skeptical when going through iui because of the chocolate cyst. Many studies and some doctors believe chocolate cyst contaminates sperms and egg before they even get a chance to meet. Hence I was ready to embark onto ivf journey after one failed iui but prof insisted on the second one. Did 3 months clomid elsewhere and laparoscopy to remove chocolate cyst which grow back in a month time. I talked to prof, dr anu and dr chew on the chocolate cyst matter. Seems like nuh isnt fully convinced with the contamination theory.

Frankly I don't understand all the push on IUIs. The success rate is so very low, like 10%. For a healthy couple the rate of natural conception is the same as this, so to me the value is very questionable. I wish I didn't spent so many months on the IUIs...
The overall sucess rate for IUI is 7% only. I asked Prof once why so low. He said that it's because a variety of people go thru IUI, it's the first option. That's why overall success rate is low. Does not mean that success rate for a couple with less complications will be as low. it will be higher.

Yup I have tilted uterus too.
But my previous 4iuis by prof & fresh ET by dr Anu is smooth & painless.
Only my last FET ET by prof was difficult. I suspect it's cos I was very tense due to bursting bladder. Was having sharp bladder pain & couldn't have my butt properly in the OT table. Prof even had to massage my legs to make me more relaxed :p
Personal massage from prof :D

The overall sucess rate for IUI is 7% only. I asked Prof once why so low. He said that it's because a variety of people go thru IUI, it's the first option. That's why overall success rate is low. Does not mean that success rate for a couple with less complications will be as low. it will be higher.

Lucasmum, it sound logical. Or at least I should choose to believe it and have faith in it.=)

Is titled uterus also inverted uterus? If yes than don't worry cos I am inverted and bfp. So don't worry too much.

@Yingchian , @comingchamp

All the best for ur ER tmr...harvest golden ones!

Very case by case...on avg, stats might b lower than 6%.. pple like me, near to 0%?...perhaps by looking at @thejewelbox stats, we can roughly gauge...is abt ~30% success rate..n a success story of a healthy baby...ivf success rates may not even b that high in some clinics...

I still rem I was asking veraine y still IUI?coz I personally feel is a waste of $ for myself...but looking at thejewelbox success rates...wow...not kidding, is high...:D

Hey gals,

Jus checking. Anyone here under Dr Chew from NUH? Went for a consultation by him. He said I have a very small polyp 7mm and asked to do hysterscopy to remove it. He also said I have to go through a trial ET prior to the actual ET.

Question

1) is it necessary to do the hysterscopy to remove a small polyp?

2) I have gone through 2 ivfs (1 at Thomson under Dr LSF and 2nd cycle at kkh under Dr Tan HH. Both did not suggest doing trial ET then why need to do under him? I know my uterus is a bit tough to manoeuvre during ET as comfirmed by Dr Loh and Dr Tan but they get it done there and then. They didnt not mention anything about trial ET, not to say need to do it or not. Then this trial i have to pay too?

Hi Littlejo, can I ask how did the docs discover polyp? Is there any test that needs to be done ?

Welcome onboard *waves*
Yup just as @lucusmum11 said, the nurses will inform u :)
It's a must-go! Go there to learn more & get charmed by prof cos he's a very different person during the seminar :p

@MonkeyChick
>>>>>>>>+++++++++++++<<<<<<<<<<
Channeling all the positive energy and baby dust to you.
You have been incredibly strong and full of life during this journey. I really admire your attitude. I really hope you can walk away with a mini monkeychick or gorillacock next month.
Yeah u r too funny not to be a monkey mummy. I pray that you will bring one home soon. Your q number is akan datang.

I at the lowest dose possible for stim jabs...my ivf w/o ET is 7.5k, if i add on the ET/OT costs..minimum u will b looking at 9k+ to 10k

Nurse told me tt Im paying really much lesser than avg due to my stim dosages...

Fyi if u need the lower pricing range...

@MonkeyChick
>>>>>>>>+++++++++++++<<<<<<<<<<
Channeling all the positive energy and baby dust to you.
You have been incredibly strong and full of life during this journey. I really admire your attitude. I really hope you can walk away with a mini monkeychick or gorillacock next month.

Thank you so much...heartfelt thanks...really...
@queby77, thanks alot also...
For encouraging me till the end...muackz

Let's channel to lucasmum first...bt next in line...higher priority in queue...;)

U ladies r really amazing...I really learnt alot here...other than ivf knowledge/info...

I learnt acronym like IMHO, malay words like akan datang & even body languages like girabee giraboo, wuu wuu ah ah....

Recalled words like aiseh, basket!

I even found out tt I looked so MonkeyChick!

Lolzzz!:p:p

Back