Premature babies support group

5061795.jpg
5061796.jpg
5061797.jpg

My no 1, 2 & 3 .. Taken in Dec 2010.. Another 4 more months to go no need to follow CA which they will be 24mths..

lilac
thanks...
happy.gif
his at CA 17months..

gracefaith
i din bought any premie clothings too.. that time i bought some rompers from Mothercare, the size is for New Baby, slightly smaller that 0-3months.. indicate for up to 4kg i tink.. that time my boy discharge can wear le..

<font color="119911">Jagiebaby</font>,
how old is yr bb? my boy also slow in speech compare to his jie jie. he still talk more in bb language. what do the speech therapist do during each visit? I got a friend who child is 2yr+ and still dunno how to talk simply. so when the kid is in the cc, he learnt a lot and within month, he can talk liao. maybe have more interaction with the kids.

yeah, mine also, will tell the meat seller uncle to mince twice. oh, u still steam the fish? for me, I cut into pieces and then dumped with all the ingredients(tofu, slice carrot, pcs of spinah, sometimes potatoes and tiny pcs of fish) to cook loh.

<font color="119911">gracenfaith</font>,
sigh..life still need to go on...for the sake of yr lovely two princess, I'm sure the toughest moment will be over soon. by the time, they are back, they will keep u busy.

I also did not buy any premie clothings. most of my boys clothing are too big for him like those wayang show....old folks also mentioned gd for them also bec no restriction of the movement if clothes are loosen.

I still have bb 0-3mth bb clothing, if u want, I can pass to u....one romper very small fr kkh.

<font color="119911">sam</font>,
saw that photo in yr fb. they looked like james bond wor...

afcai
my boy is CA 17months.. so far the speech therapist din do anything yet. they wan him to learn to chew first..
oh, i mince the meat myself loh since i got my own chopper.. yup, i steam separately coz that time i put his his porridge, the whole porridge like vert fishy leh.. i oni add meat and ikan bilis powder in the porridge. then for vege, if leafy vege, i put in the porridge, if like broccoli or cauliflower, i steam with the fish loh..
how old is ur boy? oh u got FB, i pm u my email k..

<font color="119911">Jagiebaby</font>,
but when yr boy visit speech therapist dun she/he do something if not like that paying consultant fees not cheap leh....

oh...u very gd loh...cook separately. I'm lazy and no time so all dump in.

yeah, I replied u liao. my boy turning today (CA shd be end March). later, bringing him to take FOC ice-cream.

<font color="119911">sam</font>,
future SG James Bond 007.....will they fight?

Hi eve, wow, you were on bed rest for 3 months at KKH??? goodness me! It was a torture! I went in and out of kkh 4-5 times during my pregnancy, and was already finding it extremely unbearable!

but luckily, your boy is very good, he came out at 31 weeks, and managed to stay for 10 weeks! wow! and he is doing so fine now!

jaigebaby, my girl is 2 years old, and she is mostly on porridge too leh. she doesn't chew well too. she can swollow, but when she vomited out, can see that the noodles are still one whole streak one, never really chew.

sam, your triplets are so cutie! wow, envy leh, you have 3 lovely kids, but how you handle har?

Gracefaith, agree, no need for small clothes, just buy normal clothes. and dun worry, my boy when he was in nicu, even worse, he had blood infection, hernia etc and many other issues, we were like so depressed during his 2 months stay in hospital too. but eventually it will be over. stay positive.

Time flies, dash went for his 5th year old assessment for iq test yesterday. Met dr argawal. Time really flies...well, he is not genius, and is good and not good in some areas, but at least he is doing fine, and on par. So not much to worry. Our heros will eventually catch up with the rest!

Like me, I am a 27 weekers, and no different, even taller and bigger sizes than people of same age, and I have my degree. So not to worry new mummies!

Sam
wow, u are super.. tripets and they are growing so well now..

afcai
she will feed him some snack see monitor how he ate then advise us wat to do.. then have a talk on how he's progressing..
ur boy turn 1 today? Happy birthday to him!!!

kkh
wa, whole streak of noodle still can swallow.. i try feeding him spagetti but but cut into pcs, but still he ate a few mouthful dun wan liao..

Hi Kkf

Yes - was in and out of thomson medicial centre in the begining then when water bag burst - stayed in KKH for about 3 months. Total bed rest (but I requested for toliet breaks.
happy.gif
)

Yes - Thank God my boy "tong" inside the womb for 10 weeks before he came out! It's a big miracle!

Btw - just to share - there is another mummy in the same ward as me and her situation is almost similar to mine. Water bag burst at week 21/22 and gave birth at week 31 also. She didn't get out of bed at all throughout the weeks - everything on the bed! But her baby boy is well and healthy now too.
happy.gif

So don't give up if anyone is on bed rest now. It's all worth it in the end! jia u jia u.
happy.gif

good morning, mummies,

so glad to have kkf to share wif us her tots and knowledge, thanks, kkf

kkf, hw was dash assessment test..my son's test is supposed to be in november but the nurse in charge was on leave..and i have to call again to arrange...

did you follow him for the test?it must be smthg like the two year assessment our kids went for....

happy cny to you, dash, violet and husband and to all mummies here too....

hi costa,
the iq test is more like test of english to me leh. cause the pschologist asked questions like "what are shoes for" and dash needs to describe to her, and asked dash to guess what she is describing like "what is white, and float in the sky" and dash has to guess "clouds". if ang moh not good, i dun think the kid can do the iq test, you know? My dash ang moh not so strong, so he did not fare well in description part, cause he did not understand some of the questions asked, I believed. Anyway, think the iq test is a bit not accurate one, and lame. hahaha. There are tests on motor skills too. Dash didn't know what is categorising two similar things together, and what to look out for in similar things, so he did not fare well again.
Anyway, just go and try out. But dun take the test too seriously.

wow, eve, not easy really!i seriously hated the stay in kkh. I stayed in class c ward. you must have stayed in c class right? cause they will tell you if baby premature, the medical bills lower.

jaigebaby, my girl also ate less of outside food. she eat more of porridge.not too concern, think as long as our children can swollow and bite and eat, its ok.

kowtow to you mummies who stayed at kkh class c ward. when i was having bedrest in TMC, with the danger of prematurity, the nurses did suggest to me to transfer to KKH class C. But i heard it's a 8 bedder in a big hall, with no aircon n tv, I thought it was really unbearable. So in the end, I have to bear a NICU cost of more than $25K for 29 days stay lor.... :p

kkf - wah! you stayed in class C, KKH! I cannot take it lah. b'cos I know that my stay is going to be very long; so request for class B2 instead (5 beds with aircon and shared toliet). I moved from wards to wards till I get a corner bed and built my home there. heee...
But when baby is born, spoke to social worker and they allow us to downgrade baby's ward to class C though I was staying in B2. So the bill is lower for my boy's 2 months stay at KKH. phew....
happy.gif

<font color="119911">pootz\eve</font>,
yeah, I downgraded from B2 to C ward bec of my premiee boy. still bearable cos I am not an aircon person as I scared of coldness. if no subsized, then my bills will be huge...thks god, it subsized....

but I still enjoyed my stay at c ward bec the grp of nurses who attended to me are amicable.

kkf,

thanks for your sharing....at least we agar agar noe wat they ask for...,,

they shld test dash in chinese ahha..shld ask the tester to translate it in chinese...sure dash wld be able to answer it fluently...after this test got any follow up...???doc k told me that the reason they hv tis test is to assess the kid's learning abilities or where they nd help..

when my turn comes, i hope b is okay...when was dashs test?

Hello mummies n daddies, is it safe to bring my CA 11 months babies to play in the swimming pool? I m hesitating as feel the water is with germs n bacteria. I forgot to ask my neonatal doctor in the last visit so would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks and gong xi fa cai!!

VirgoAries,

I bought Jerlynn when she was about CA 5 mths old, Actual Age abt 8mths old...!!! Hahahahaha...
She loves the water!!! You will be surprised how fun it will be.
As for Germs and bacteria, i think shldnt be a problem bah. Just remember to wash them off the chlorine after that, cos I think it's really drying and bad for the skin. I'm also more worried about the cold weather these couple days wor... don't catch a cold.

Maybe someone can share where we can find heated pools?

VirgoAries/gingal
I brought my boy to public swimming pool when he was abt CA12mths. The first time ge wear the normal swimwear and he caught a cold after that. After that i bought him the the thermal swimwear and he's ok.. No more shivering and sneezing..

Oh there's heated pool?

for me, HX went to swimming pool when he is 22mth (CA 20mth). that was the only one time he went swimming via playing with water with fear, crying and then happy reaction. he had yet to patron another time to swimming pool.

Happy new year to all mummies and daddy!

I haven't come to the thread for quite some time. Hope all are well.

Btw, I have an infant car seat to give away foc. Please pm me if interested.

Hey all,
I'm so glad to found this link for comforts/ supports and gain knowledge on taking care of our precious children.
Just delivered by Emergency C-section last Tuesday @ KKH to a set of fraternal boys @ 27 wks. #1 at 1kg &amp; #2 at 900gm.
I guess estimate stay in KKH might be 2 mths or so.
Will start reading the oldest post to catch up.

Hello again,

May I know if anyone know what is Intestines perforated incidents?
In the wee morning, we were asked to rush to the NICU. As Twin 1 was in distress with intestine perforation. The Operation had since completed and he is recuperating now. However, instead of what is suspected on a small hole, is a section of the intestine. We are pending for further findings from the Dr this afternoon.

Would like to know if any one have a similar situation to share with me.

Heartaching that he got to go through so much within such a short span of time that II couldn't control my tears .

Hi Chewy,

A intestine perforation happen when the intestine in our warriors do not have sufficient to mature. I know of another warrior which close to 80 cm of his intestine was taken off due to too much peforation.

Intestion perforation is still safe but NEC is dangerous. NEC is bacteria infection which destory the intestine tissue. It happen to 5% of the permmie.

Chewy,

Hope your boy is fine now. You take care.

Hi David,

Happy Lunar New Year
happy.gif

Hi all,

I am looking for a maid urgently. Anyone has good maid agency to recommend? Thanks

Hello David,
THANKS for the explanation. He is coping well since after the op. We are praying hard all will be well. I will take note of NEC you mention. May I know the other Warrior , how old is he now and how he is coping. My first thought is how is he going to digest milk soon
sad.gif

We haven't known how much of his intestines are taken out. Yesterday his heart rates are more than 200 plus... we are not sure if he is in pain or having other side effects.
Glad by evening the heart rates went down to 170 plus.

Grace
Where do you stay? I'm in Sengkang. And went to Amazing Maid at hougang green. The lady there is GOOD ! My new maid is from her too !

Chewy,

I stay in Sembawang. My SIL just recommended the agency that she frequents. Will likely to go to hers. Thanks.

Glad to know your boy is coping well Jia You
happy.gif

Hi Gracenfaith,

Happy CNY.

Hi Chewy,

Do you know that an adult intestine is 15ft long(4.5m). When my daughter intestine was taken off by 27cm, I thought that was terrible till I meet the other parents. For my daughter, her nutrient absorption is still not that great. For a 23 mths girl, she is only 7.9kg.

Have faith, intestine will grow. All our warriors are miracle fighters. Your boys will surprise you everyday with their achievement. Fight hard &amp; fight brave.

Thx for the encouragement, David.

It's confirm Twin 1 is having NEC too ! And worst he having a lot more infection than expected. I'm trying to hang in there.. but each day seem longer and difficult. Especially at wee morning... coz that's when the first call we had received the other day was at 2am. And Twin 2 is showing similar signs of indigestion from his 8 ml of EBM yesterday.

David
how many kids do you have? Sorry I haven't have chance to read through the old posting. But I notice you been a BRAVE DAD and active member in this thread in which I'm grateful and thankful for. Knowing that the battles ahead wasn't fought by me alone..Your words and kindness does meant a lot.

About me... this is my 4th pregnancy.
I had 3 miscarriages in the past. Ectopic / lost of fetal heartbeat at wk 12 and the last one was at 22 weeks. No Drs could confirm or say I got incompetent cervix.
This pregnancy was through SO IUI. And was sent for a stitch up (cervical celrage) at week 22 too. And I was having infection too hence that distress Twin 1 that trigger the preterm labour at 27 weeks.

Twin 1 is 950gm
Twin 2 is 860 gm

I keeping my faith but it seem weaker at times...

Hi Chewy,

I am so sorry that you have to go through all the ordeal. It must be an extremely difficult period for you. Pray that you will keep strong. Yes, David is the premature thread in-house consultant and he is such a dear. Always answering questions posed and giving encouragements to the mummies here.

Do continue to update on how your twins are doing. Praying for the family.

Hi chewy

Ur boys will be well k.. Hang it there.. I had 3 miscarriages too b4 i had my boy.. First 2 lost in early stages and the 3rd one in 16weeks. Dr say i had incompetent cervix so i went for cerclage at week 13+, but i still delivered at week 31. Btw, y ur cerclarge done so late? Gynae told me best to do b4 2nd trimester..

My boy is now CA17+month..

Hi chewy,

My twin were delivered at wk 28, like you, I was having infection and twin 1 was showing signs of distress. But only twin 2 survived. He was 1.2kg at birth. He caught NEC when he was 1.5kg and had a surgery done within 3 hrs upon discovery of NEC. He was lying there so motionless, but kept looking at us.....now think of it....the sad feeling came back....fortunately, the NEC was discovered early and they did the surgery within hrs from discovery, he made it! The 3 days after surgery is critical, we stayed till midnight and return to Nicu early in the morning everyday for the week after surgery....the surgeons, neonatologists and senior nurses will closely monitor his conditions....the first two days after surgery, my boy showed no signs of recovery and we were so worried of losing him and I felt like giving myself up.....luckily, by the 3rd day, his intestines starts to turn pinkish, showing signs of recovery.....so, our babies are strong warriors who will fight hard and make it! My boy is now CA 9mths, very happy everyday, growing well, playing happily! Your twin will make it! Have faith in them!

Hi chewy,

My boy had a stoma from the surgery and needs a follow up surgery when he reaches 5kg. He was discharged with a stoma and we had to care for the stoma till he goes for his follow up surgery. Not a pleasant experience but my boy, husband n myself went through and did it! Will share more with you separately cos there are just too much to share...

Thx ALL ! I will keep coming back to update whenever I can.

Jagiebaby - the last preg, I did the stitch up at wk 12 and lasted till wk 22. Losing my Girl Meredith mainly due to infection.
How did you count CA17+??

This pregnancy was a watch and see situation. They scanned the cervical length all the time . All was good length then suddenly on 30 Dec (22 wks) it shortened to 1.5cm. Hence, did the celrage immediately.

I keep having infection during this pregnancy. And that's the infection that trigger the contraction earlier as well last week. Was told earlier this evening that the placenta was badly inflamed for Twin1 hence he is sicker now . Same as May, my boy had a stoma now. He underwent the operation on day 5 after birth for intestinal perforation and a stoma place in. Today they told us the risk of NEC. And Twin 2, having some signs on bloatiness on tummy too after feeding 8ml of EBM.

Hi Chewy,

My poor heavenly boy did not have a heart beat and his skull was crush when we did a scan at weeks 16. My princess Danya is our 2nd pregnancy. I love to have more children but couldn't. My queen had a very severe pre-eclampsia condition which almost took her and my princess away from me. She will have a high risk of getting it on her next pregnancy. Remember, all our warriors are little pocket Hercules. Have faith in them. Keep your fighting spirit high and your boys will fight even harder. They will make you proud in time to come.

Hi May,

My Princess also had a illeostomy. We managed her STOMA for 4 mths+. The skin around the STOMA blister so much. She had her reversal ops when she reach 4.2kg.

Guess what. Better buy alot of nappy rash cream. I recommend Desitin cream. Cheaper to buy at Mustafa. Your boy's butt is going to get very bad nappy rash. After the reverse ops, the colon do not know how to function initially. Thus, your boy will have alot of diarrhea. For my princess, her colon resume back it's normal function only after 2 weeks.

My poor princess butt look so raw during the 2 weeks.

David,
yes each day is a bonus and I'm keeping my spirit up &amp; high. As both are fighting as well. TRUE.. they are our warriors !!!

Hi chewy

u have to use his edd for his CA.. my boy edd was in aug 2009 but borned in june 2009 @ 31weeks. so from birth till now he's AA is 19+month then minus the 9weeks loh to get CA17+month.. juz went for his MMRV yesterday and the neonatalogist say his growth, gross and fine motor all are good oni his speech loh.. he's weighing 13.4kg now with a height of 89cm.. so have faith in ur boy.. he will b fine in no time..

btw, wat is stoma?

Hi Jajiebaby,

STOMA is a procedure which the intestine is brought outside the body on a temporary basis. The milk being digested will not passed through the anus but through the STOMA opening outside the body. A STOMA bag is attached onto the STOMA to collect the stool.

The reason for my premature birth is also due to infection and causing the waterbag leak. I'm still wondering what causes the infection.
Did any of you suffered the infection know the cause of it? Is it cos of the cervix Celrage that causes the infection?
For my case I was transferred to gov hospital last min before giving birth, so not much follow up on the root cause of the premature birth.

Chewy,

Hi, please take care. For me, I am still learning to cope.

I plan to go back to work next week after 2 months ML. PLan to take the other 2 months when babies are back. Cos need the extra $. But I am very weak n tired. Nearly fainted on 2nd day of CNY. I do not know why I am so weak. The nurses at NICU told me to rest more. But pumping milk is taking away most of my energy. My supply is very low despite consistent pumping. Saw Lactation nurses 3 times also no use. Feeling bad not giving enough bm to babies as they still it to boost up the immune system.

The first and half month is full of up and downs. After that, it will be better. My hubby and I used to be so scared to receive call from NICU. When my girl was given steroid, our heart ached.

But right now, they are still fighting. TO me, prayer is very important. I get many of my friends to pray for the babies. We also got a priest to go down to pray for the babies. Do you ave any religion?

This forum give me a lot of support. DO come in and all the daddies and mummies will offer support to you
happy.gif

Take care.

Hi, Aixin,

How is your NEw Year? How is your babysitter? Will call her this weekend to ask if she is keen to be my CL. Not sure when my elder girl will be discharged. She is 1.4 kg plus now.

Thx Jagiebaby.

Aixin,
I did have infecions (Vaginal flora/ yeast/ Gardnerella &amp; candida) from time to time all present at times after antibiotics it cleared. But still it's Gardnerella that trigger my contractions and premature labor. No cause known so far for why I got infection. Prior to pregnancy, I didn't have any issues. Yesterday was told the placenta for Twin 1 was badly inflamed hence he is at higher risk n weaker since birth
sad.gif

Thanks Gracenfaith !

Yes , been praying hard. I'm catholic . Can a priest go in for prayers? If so I will go arrange one .

I'm pumping diligently , not sure if the supply is low or ok. I just keep pumping. I hope the next 1 .5 mths files by. Each trip to NICU is painful. I rather they don't up date me... There is so much I can bear at times.

You must take good care as you go back to work as well.
Is yours twins too? In KK?

Totally agreed... when I search for a support group I'm so glad there is one here just for me ! Many thanks for all of you in this thread.

Dear Chewy, My Godma happens to know the priest quite well so he agreed to go. Just need to inform NICU. They were ok about it. The priest also baptised my girls on that day
happy.gif

You can approach your parish priest and think they will be glad to offer their help.

I was too weak to go NICU daily. Feel bad but guess that is nothing much I can do. Also very scared updates from doctor. Tend to have more negatives than positives but now getting better. I cried so much during the 1st month.

My twin girls also in KK. They are 26 weekers. One is 850g and the other is 510g. Think the 510g broke the record here. But she is growing now at 950g after one n half month.

Grace &amp; Faith is probably their names
happy.gif

You must take good care of yourself. Try taking chicken essence if you can or a small cup of dom. I been pushing myself yet again and again. Giving it my best. This round though difficult for me wasn't as bad as when I lost my Girl Meredith in 2009 at week 22. I tell myself My boys are ALIVE &amp; That's more important. Though the visitation and Dr's review is DIFFICULT.. I need to push on. I promise my hubby to stay strong through it all. And for the two of them... hence, this thread provide a lot of comforts as I read through the old posting from time to time.

Totally agreed.. the trips to NICU is truly PAINFUL.

Mine is 27wk at 950g &amp; 860g. However, Twin 1 at higher weight is having a tougher time. He is currently in KK First room from entry and first one in the room.

Will keep praying hard !!

Hi David,

We managed the stoma for 3 mths +, very tough, hv to make sure the skin is not blistered, the stoma is still ok, clean n change the bag and also the rectum flushing! Really hate those days!!! Ya, he had very very bad nappy rash after his surgery when he was in Kk....we were so sad and disappointed with Kk cos he was in icu n high dependency, yet they didn't take good care of him....ended up, my husband and I took care of him througout his care, we stayed with him!

Chewy, how's your twin 1 now? Are their names ready? My twin girl's placenta was badly damaged by the bacteria causing her heartrate to drop drastically, which resulted in early birth. My twin boy's placenta was also going to be gone soon, luckily his Jie Jie saved him! Your twins are in good hands cos kk's docs are very good! Who's your boy's surgeon? Mine was dr Joyce Chua, she is very professional and nice, emphathatic as well.

Hi chewy and Gracefaith,
I'm also a catholic! What a coincidence. :D
Grace &amp; Faith are really good names for gals.

About the infection I think mine is the yeast type cos when I discharged from hospital after giving birth, the doc gave a medicine for that, but no antibiotic. But any way that time i was too sad with my baby conditions and no time and forgot to ask in details and follow up. Really hope if there is next time pregnancy I know how to prevent.

Gracefaith,
You can call my nanny at my home no anytime from Sunday night to Fri afternoon. Your gal grows fast! 1.4kg maybe in another one month time she will be chased out of hospital. Hehe... You will soon be excited to see her out of that box and be able to hold her. Try kangaroo care, it is very good for bb and mother. Can stimulate milk flow also ;)

Back