Premature babies support group

<font color="0000ff">Promotion announcement,</font>
NTUc has promotion on bb products fr 29/10 - 11/11.

eg Mammy poko - $21.45
Pet Pet diaper (mega pack) - $32.95 for 2
drypers: $36.95 for 3
fairprice easy wear diaper pant: $10.20 (Additional 5% discount)
Nepia: $28.95 for 2
NTUC diaper: $9.90 (Additional 5% discount)
Pamper easy ups Pants:$34.90 for 3

Giant promotion - Gain IQ (900g) with bear family photo frame:$26.99
Sns promotion - Gain IQ (900g) with bear family photo frame:$28.25

there is a Thermos warehouse sale fr 30/10 - 1/11 (11am-7pm), up to 70% off. address:Thermos (Sg) pte ltd
16, Agrumugam Road #05-02, LION Building D S(409961)

<font color="119911">pinety</font>,
for me, my elder one got all her jabs at polyclinics. so my no 2 will follow too.

hmm..not sure leh. read infor that it is advised to let children under 5 yr olds, eldery or those weaker one to have the pneumococcal.

<font color="119911">pau le </font>,
cheers. glad u think postively....we are all here to share experience. feel free to ask anything. just remember not to over exert yrself.

<font color="0077aa">afcai,</font>

Yah I was given 2.5 doses spread in 3 times... 2 doses 12 hours apart...then 0.5 doses a week later b4 I was discharged. from TMC...
When I told the gynae in KKH that my gynae gave me 2.5 doses..they also puzzled...and called my gynae to confirm...
But it worked for me...J is in complete good lung condition til now...(cross fingers/touch wood)
happy.gif

<font color="0077aa">Jas,</font>

I feel Broccoli is good to mash leh...very soft...J loves Pumpkin...she can eat alot if everything i add mashed pumpkin...
Have u tried Mashed Potatoes? J loves Potatoes too, we call her "Gantang kia" "Jiak Gantang", and she only like US Potatoes, Available at Supermarkets only, Wet markets dun have.
US potatoes easier to mash and only need very short cooking time to soften...Not recommended to use them to cook curry etc., my MIL used the remaining and turn out all left with small pieces cos all soggy in the gravy liao..
<font color="0077aa">afcai - Oopsss, i gave her broccoli liao leh...luckily no allergy...</font>

<font color="0077aa">Sam</font>,

Saw ur pics taking your trio to Hwa Xia...*Clap clap*... Really cute, must be the centre of everyone's attention there...
happy.gif

All 3 Princes are looking like identical twins liao hor? only slight differences...

Talking abt eggs..haha, my mum heard wrongly and threw away egg yolk and added egg white in the porridge cooked...Luckily I woke up from my afternoon nap before she gave the porridge to J, and stopped her...*Sweat*
Was told can give, only fully cooked egg yolk loh.... egg white better wait til 1 year old...

<font color="0077aa">pau le,</font>

I think Jas has answered ur Qns, my answer same as hers...except my baby was borned 29 weeks and I went through natural birth, my milk came in only on the 3rd day, cos I was slow to start expressing the milk on the 1st day...must start ias soon as u can after birth to keep the milk coming in.

Keeping baby warm is really important...

<font color="0077aa">pinety</font>

paiseh, i kpo a little ...

I found this:

"Under the NCIP schedule, children will need three doses of the vaccine before they turn 2 (see Annex). MOH recommends catch-up vaccination for all children under 5 years of age. Baby Bonus, CDA and Medisave can also be used to pay for the catch-up immunization."

http://www.moh.gov.sg/mohcorp/pressreleases.aspx?id=23204

U will need to check with doctor how many dose needed for ur 2 year old liao...
J's vaccination is all done at 24 hour Central clinic at Bedok...The pneumoccocal jab was known to be cheaper than Polyclinic. I paid $156 nett for 1 Jab, I was told Polyclinic is $170? I never check out the price at Polyclinic though...

Hope this Helps!

<font color="ff0000">Arghhhhhh I JUST BOUGHT A THERMOS SHUTTLE CHEF!!!!</font>

costa..ahaha..scarly if give birth in SIA no free flight for lifetime (maybe only 1 yr? hahaha)

sam..wah..ur kids are eating half a bowl!!!! my gal dont even eat half a bowl now.. (3yo soon)... most prob neonat will ask me to go dietician again come next appt...

jas, good taht xavier eats 'everything'... like that then its easier to get nutrients from all sources... its a nightmare feeding fussy eaters... as the beg, i will steam all the food till very soft then grind if necessary (puree)...just read ur spaces... wah..now xavier is not as dark as last time liao... i am going to (thick skin) put ur URL in my gal's blog too..so that i can refer to it all the time.. :p talking about shanghai... ask u a sensitive Q... are the pp working there very hardworking but only concern about their own jobscope? cos got new colleague from shanghai.. got prob working with some of us cos of the 'attitude'.

afcai, the jab is not to prolong the pregnancy, but to let the bb's lungs mature faster as they are cmoing out faster..so its not the hx didn't absorb it lah..

pau le, welcome! dont worry abt the bm..like what costa said.. pump diligently.... dont think u have no milk so dont pump.. i was not consistent at the beginning in the end i started to have blocked ducts from beginning till i kena mastitis (breast infection)! but pls dont be demoralised if ur supply is not enuf (not cursing u but i know things like that can cause post natal blues)... fm is also good...

gingal..wah.. $156 is definitely cheaper..last tiem i source around a few GPs near my pl.. i think cheapest is about $170..that time polyclinic didn't have jab mah....

Afcai &amp; BabeliciousFat (gingal),

Thank you for your reply. My cousin just told me that she brought her baby to jab in JB and the price is after conversion S$115. I am still considering that....

Afcai,

Xavier still go back check up every month, the PD very anxious abt his condition since he has chronic lung disease... anyway, i like to go back too, to get reassurance that he is doing fine
happy.gif

Abt my milk, I jus started pumping after I found out that i should lor...The nurse in NICU scared me a lot, said must definitely give BM to babies, if not very hard for them to digest FM. She even asked the doc to prescribed me medicine...well, got to thank her a lot!! if not, maybe my milk wont be so much...

Gingal,
Maybe that day my MIL didnt mash until very small bah, Xavier got choked and started puking milk
sad.gif
anyway, will try again..
US potatoes? sounds like a good idea, will go back and try. Can get at NTUC hor?

Bloom
ya, it's a blessing that he eats everything!
happy.gif

Last time my mum said Xavier looks like a Malay, hahaa...now finally look fairer. Of course u can put my URL at ur girl's blog, most welcome leh!! Can PM me ur blog too??
Regarding ur qn, yes u are right... Not so sure abt the hardworking part (ooopss), but most of them are really concern abt their jobscope...they dun want to do extra work, which really frustrated me a lot..But to think abt it, if they are all perfect, "foreign labor" like me will not get a place to stand in Shanghai liaoo..It is getting so competitive there..

Hi Jas

Yes, it will increase alot but is still not as good as natural herbs because it is still chemical.

I still have 2 box of "Milk Maid Tea" which is a blend of different type of herbs which also increase the BM production. I don't need them anymore as I have insisted that my queen to stop BM exercise. If you need them, FOC for you. This is definitely better then Fenugreek.

Jas, my gynae prescribed domperidone for me after I was discharged. It worked well for me. But remember to express every three hourly or at least regularly cos' if not, it would cause engorgement. I was expressing diligently and had oversupply.

Gingal,

I never give them eggs yet cause eldest quite sensitive one..so i'll wait till they are older..

Jas,

I took domperidone.. it helps a bit...for me only 20-40ml increase in production.

Bloom,

i scared scared they eat a lot now..cause dunno will over weight or not leh..

paul le, welcome, quick reply. my cervix was also opened at 29 weeks, but manage to hold till 34. no worries.

Oh yah, i had taken the steriod injections twice, once at 24 weeks, once at 32 weeks. no side effects.steriod injections need 2 doses to take effects, so in total i had taken 4 doses. no side effects, but one thing is it is very painful!!!

btw, wow jas, you wrote your blog in chinese! wow! very chim! hee. i add urs in my blog k? mine is http://theincredibles.ido.per.sg/

costa, thanks for asking about me. going crazy last week cause SA2 coming, but this week more relax, kids having exams now. and counting down to holidays! yipppee.

Hey all,

I have actually started taking Domperidone since Wednesday, and it did increase my BM a lot.. My b4 sleep session has increased from 100ml - 190ml, amazing! But I m having a dilemma abt the safety of this medicine because not long ago, I realised this is exactly the same medicine my MIL was taking - to cure her gastrointestinal problem. Her prescription instructions (she bought in China) even said that Pregnant/BF mothers got to be careful with this medicine. The increase in lactation is said to be a "side effect"...
Well, I have done some research on this, and realised that this medicine was never approved by FDA in USA for any kind of use. They even issued a warning for breastfeeding mums, to warn abt the safety concerns. And from some CHinese websites, it seems like they are quite against this as well...http://pediatrics.about.com/b/2004/06/15/domperidone-fda-warning.htm

Yet, a lot of pharmacies still sell this off-label and there are doctors who are quite pro this even though they are aware of the FDA warning.. I guess in SG, they are pro this medicine as well?? http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/domperidone.shtml

I have stopped taking. a bit not sure abt it...What are your opinion on this?

David,

I have pm u
happy.gif

Kkf,

No choice, most of my readers are Chinese, hehee..Of course u can add, i will add urs too
happy.gif

kkf,
i read your blog. i think we exchange bryan and violet for a day, you will learn to appreciate violet a lot more! haha.. be assured they will grow out of it lah. they just need LOTS of attention lor..one day we can have a playdate, and u will see wat happen with my bryan!

my boy still barely 8plus kg at 2yo.. how? i getting worried. anyone got any recommendations on food?

hi kkf

i had my steriod jabs thursday and saturday... wow as u said, so painful! and feel really flushes of heat at times... legs swollen too... but i guess these are just the results of the jab rite.

im reaching 34 weeks coming thursday... feeling my baby really low... feeling a pain at my tailbone... hopefully can tahan longer!

jas... thanks for replying abt foreign talent.. u r right..very frustrating to work with her..she chase after her sup insisting the sup have to fix her jobscope... my gal's blog is kathleenmak.blogspot.com

pinety.. but the hassle in bringing a bb to JB..... have to see how much is the difference loh... and if MOH will recog jabs take in JB...

sam..ahahah.. i think for premmies, being overwgt is a blessings..some of our kids need to see dietician cos underwgt! :p

xbliss, let me know u found soln to incrase bryan's wgt.. my gal's wgt is 10kg at 3 yo.. i think ws' wgt is 12kg at 4yo if i am not wrong! :p

pau le congrats, once pass 34 weeks, not much worries, as gynaes and midwives will say it is safe enough to give birth, and wun stop you from doing so anymore. they will stop ur contraction pills too. yah, i still remember the painfulness of the jabs man.

Jas, I am actually a chinese teacher but i dun think my chinese is as good as yours! hee.

xbliss, wow really? bryan is only 8 plus kg? you sure? cause violet already 8 plus kg at 9 months leh. Try getting him eat more? two meals and one breakfast, and on top of that, eat snacks like bread? dash likes bread a lot, so keep feeding him with bread, but then he still is skinny. hee. i think kids reach a certain stage will grow stagnant with their weight.

Dash is 15-16kg at 4 years, and has been stagnant at that weight since 3 years old (so one year never grows much weight).

kkf, i think premies a bit harder to gain weight? dunno leh.. SIGH.

i think the girls are generally more small frame, bloom. So ur gal should be quite ok lah.

I've tried a lot of things from appeton, to caloric powder, cheese, bread, etc. problem is that bryan eats SOOO little at one go. he eats quite a lot of junk in my opinion, but i dunno where the fats go to!!!!!! doc say if still no gain must go hormone therapy! hiaks..

xbliss, grace

Dun worry ah, I have known at least 2 boys (full term) same age as my girl, smaller frame than my girl and my girl is at the low percentile growth....

More importantly, is double 'H' Healthy and Happy.
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Anyone of you considering giving your premies H1N1 preventive jab? Me still considering....cos my girl still seeing Dr Ann Goh at KKH ...... Any advice here?

Precious_one,
Yup everyone oso tells me and reminds me abt the 2 'H's but I guess it's still difficult not to think abt it.... Hee...

Hi all,

I'm new here.

I've cervix incompetence n cervix starts to shortened at 22 weeks into my pregnancy. Since then I've done a cerclage to stitch up the cervix so as to prolong my pregnancy. I'm 27+2weeks today n bb is weighing at 1.1kg. Dr just told me today that he predicts my water bag will burst in another 5-6weeks time which i'll b 32-33weeks. I'm very concern n scared that my bb will be still immature to be born at 32-33weeks. Any advice if bb born ard 32-33 weeks, how long will the bb be kept in ICU?

Also may I know what are the reasons for your premature births n is there anybody having or had the same condition as me?

Thanks pau le for directing me to this thread.
happy.gif

Hi Serene,

Welcome to our thread!

There are a few mummies here who had cervix incompetence, I am sure they will answer you later
happy.gif

I guess most importantly right now u got to rest in bed completely to prolong your pregnancy. The longer you drag , the better! Actually 27 weeks are not too bad, if you can drag over 30 weeks, I think it's pretty good
happy.gif

For me, i gave birth at 25 weeks because of twins complications, my elder twin left us, yet my younger twin came home healthily after 4 months stay..Normally for 32-33 weeks, they can come home in around one month's time or slightly more .. But it also depends on baby's weight and overall health...normally baby can go home around 2kg. Honestly, 1.1kg for 27 weeker is not bad....for a lot of us here, our babies were borned less than 1kg. My younger twin was born at 650g, now he is a happy 6.4kg baby
happy.gif

Hang in there....Rest and relax are the most impt thing now, the rest you can worry later..

Serene, glad that you found this thread. I am sure that you can find alot of support here. Totally agree with Jas that you should get as much bedrest as possible. In addition, try to eat as much as possible and drink those milk for pregnant mums. This will help your bb to gain more weight. Have your gynae given you the steroids jab yet? It helps the baby's lung to develop faster. My son was born at 28 weeks. Weight was 1.035 kg. He was in the hospital for 78 days. 32-33 weeks is quite good already. Just press on, ya?

Pau le, great that you are already 34 weeks!!! Congrats. Actually, one of my friends gave birth to a 34 weekers. THe bb stayed in SCN for a few days only and was discharged. Yes, the longer the bb is inside, the better it is.

xbliss and grace, yah yah, i just remember, my colleague's daughter also very very small size. she is born full term lor. never mind lar, as long as your kids are active and healthy, size doesn't matter.

precious one, under 18 years old are not advise to take h1n1 preventive jabs right cause only proven to be useful on adults, not sure of side effects on less than 18 years old.

serene, welcome, no worries lar, doctors always predict this and that, but not really accurate sometimes. last time gynae also told me i will give birth within this week but in the end, i gave birth 4 weeks later i think. but if your baby really comes out at 32/33 weeks, dun worry, very good weeks liao, needs to stay at most 2 weeks. my friend's son came out about 32 or 33 weeks, stayed 2 weeks in scn.

My girl came out 34 weeks, stayed about 6 days in scn. My boy came out 27 weeks plus and about 1.14kg, and he stayed 2 months plus. the longer you hold, the better. best is above 34 weeks when the baby is fully form.

yah, serene, now the most important thing for u to do is to rest and rest and rest. walk less, eat more durians and meat to gain weight for ur baby.

Hi Jas, lilac and kkf,

Thanks for your encouragement.

I've been resting a lot since week 22. I really hope i can hold till x'mas which means my bb will be ard 35-36weeks.

Does eating durians n meat really help to increase bb's wt fast? Other than those maternal milk, can i drink HL milk instead. Will the bb grows as fast??

Sigh... everyday i'll be thinking 'what if bb decided to come out tmr, how?' So feeling very worried everyday... So stressful.

Regarding the steroid jab... my gynae said not so soon wor... mayb ard wk30. I'm also worried tat it is too late but my gynae seems confident leh.... so let it be lor.

<font color="119911">xbliss</font>,
hmm did Bryan eat a lot? maybe try to give him small meal but more meal.

<font color="119911">Pau le</font>,
for me, I find that the dhaposon (dunno how to spell) jab that I had in my first trimster is much painful compare to sterid jab.

jiaoyou, still got 2 more wks to go b4 full term. dun over stress yrself, bed rest bed rest....

<font color="aa00aa">bloom</font>,
kate's weight is gd liao. tx 's weight only 11-12kg (up and down).

<font color="119911">serene</font>,
welcome to the thread. dun worry....all of us here gone thru the stage. everyone has different cause of premature condition. for mine, doc said unknown cos might be stress and bleeding (fr day 1 till wk 14) which might be the intro to preterm labour. anyway, after labour, i still need to suffer- bleeding again for 2 mth and still need to go thru DnC. sian...anyway, now, my bb is 9mth+ and seeing him making me happy bec all the worries/suffering will be gone.

yup, resting resting is the most impt for u. try not to walk and stand for long as it will add the pressure yr weight.dun let yr emotion (tough hard to ctrl vbut try). so be a happy mummy and bb will be happy too. ask yr little ones to ta han, talk to him/her.

yup, basically, durian do boost up weight. but do note, it is not gd to consume too much due to high sugar content. HL milk or fm for pregnant mum is gd.

<font color="aa00aa">Ginger</font>,
ai-yo...suppose to give after one. thks gd...she ok. gd for calcium too.

finally, HX can sit unassisted when he hit 9mth (CA 7mth) last mth. oh boy...but hor when he got excited then will like humpty dumpty...

re:bm
I only did it after a few hrs of delivery cos I dun have pump and also felt weak. that's might explan why I got lesser bm compare to my first preggie.

hmm what is THERMOS SHUTTLE CHEF?

<font color="aa00aa">Bloom/ginger</font>
re:jab
tot pneumoccocal jab only available in Polyclinic after dec as I was told to call bck after dec cos stock only arrive in dec.

but some clinic dun accept CDA a/c right...like my gar usual GP, it only accept cash payment.

<font color="119911">pinety</font>,
pai seh, no offence. I think for our kid sake, think better to spend a few $ more for the jab. one never know what's the diff between the jab given in sg and other countries. touch wood, touch wood, any side effect, one still need to travel bck and it is much more troublesome.

that's my opinion. no offence.

<font color="aa00aa">jas</font>,
is chronic lung disease curable?

wow, NUH nurse so gd...but hor...I am very disappointed with their service leh. did u fix one same gynae? initally, this time,I tried NUH service but disappointed me so I gave up. eg when I asked qns, the MO seems dunno the qns, either talk other things or ask me to wait (MO went to consult senior). hai...

<font color="aa00aa">David</font>
Daivd Daddy, wow, u also know Domperidone ? me got to hide face cos I dunno anything abt that. think u are indeed my idol.

where do u buy the milk maid tea? is it the same as Mother milk tea? cos I bought one fr forum cos I longed to drink tea without caffine. bec I am moo so cannot consume tea, so I also drank brown rice tea too. at least, no caffine. now, my bm also decrease and counting down to graduate from it in few mth time then my freedom will be release too.

<font color="aa00aa">lilac</font>,
u gg bck to work??

Mummies &amp; Daddies,

Can i check if i need to wake my trio up for feeding at night? Usually the last feeding will be ard 8-9pm than they go to bd before 10pm. and usually i will wake them up at 11-12mn to feed them again and ard 3-4am to feed again..hmm but they never make noise, i just wake them to feed them or what shoud i do???

dear kkf, lilac &amp; afcai

thanks for ur encouragement! i would jiayou and hope to hold on as long as i can... im also constantly "warned" by the nurse that if this first baby comes so early, my next pregnancy would certainly be the same...

i try as much as possible to rest... but steal a 2 hour shopping to go get some clothes for baby... :p

just did a second blood test today for my gestation diabetics.. spent 3 hours in the lab and took 4 times blood samples, checking if the 100grams of glucose they gave me can be disperse, hopefully it turns out fine. But a lot of pple actually tell me that it is not very serious to develop gestation diabetics... my nurse told me the concern of diabetics now is the worry that baby would be too big... but since i might be giving birth early, then isn't it better? so confused sometimes...

serene hope u wld find some answers here
happy.gif

cheers to the great and unconditional giving parents here!

<font color="0000ff">Updates on Jerlynn's Progress:</font>

She is discharged from her Cardiac follow-up liao... So glad, they shouldn't have postpone it so long loh, her 1st echo is done in Jan 09, and ytd was the 1st follow-up!
I was worried abt it for almost 10 mths, now relax liao!!! No more bleeding in the brain, no more anemia, no more opened PDA!!! Yeah...she fought it all by herself!

She also did really well at her assesment in Rehab, she sat really straight and still during the whole session...can stand very stable when we support her lower hips too...
The therapist was really happy with her say she will catch up with peers her actual age very soon (anticipating for the day to come)...and she might be those babies that will skip crawling and just stand and walk...cos she simply uninterested to crawl, but only wanna stand...keke
Speech-wise, she is still "Ahhh Ahhh Eeeehhh Eeehhhh"....Hmmm maybe she will speak slow? NVM that, as long as she is healthy and growing well, I'm glad liao...
She is now 8kg and 6.78 cm long...But dunno why when carry her, it felt like she is 10kg...hahaha...

pinety,

Wah all the way to JB for the Jabs ah? Very Tedious anot? Also cannot use CDA to pay, I personally think abit Boh Hua...
Have u brought baby to Jab yet?

Jas,

Yah, I bought the potatoes at NTUC and Giant...

Sam,

I went to Dietetrics appt again ytd, and was told to try Egg Yolk again...Hmmmm...dunno why...must be very nutrition bah.
Tried it today, mashed and mixed with milk, she likes it but couldn't finish the whole yolk, only took abt 3/4 of it...very dry, must keep feeding water...very untidy also...

Pau Le,

I took Steriod jabs on both my thighs, my right thigh, i dun feel any pain at all, dun even know the jab is done until teh nurse told me "done"...but it was quite painful on my left thigh, the pain is like ache for abt 1-2 mins on the whole thigh...

Serene,

I had Cervix Incompetence too, dilated 2cm at 27 weeks and I think it was too late to stitch it up thus my Gynae did not do it...was on bedrest for 2 weeks til water bag burst and baby is borned...
Next pregnancy, my gynae say will do the cerclage @12-16 weeks...
My baby is borned @ 29 weeks and now at actual age 10 mths old, she is doing well...so dun have to worry wor...
happy.gif

Do u have GD (gastional Diabetics)? If not, then u can try eating durians or some sweet stuffs to increase baby's weight, if not, I think better not..
For me, I have mild case GD, and baby's weight was 1.355kg when borned, good weight, slightly bigger than babies of same Gestional age. But again, my GD casued me to have more water in my bag than most, and my gYnae says this might be one of the reasons of the premature birth too...
BUT... having more water also not too bad for me, cos when my water bag burst and leaked alot, my baby can still stay in my tummy for >20hours (enuff water for her to survive inside me)...so actually the KKH team was quite glad I have enuff water...:p

afcai,

THERMOS is the brand loh, the Shuttle Chef they have is like the "Thermal Cooker"...U know those pot that u just cook and heat up, then leave it inside the Thermal Cooker and it will cook by itself and stay piping hot for hours and hours...

The clinic i went to accept payment by CDA...
happy.gif
U have to check it out, some clinics are approved to use...
happy.gif

Sam,

we were told not to wake them up and feed, but tell u frankly la, i think most of us are guilty of just feed them every 3/4 hours intervals, though they nvr ask for milk...
Dunno why leh, Full Term mummies can't wait to let the babies sleep thru the night without milk, but we cannot loh, we are opposites, must feed feed feed..guess cos our babies are borned so low-weight, we cannot affor take any chance of them losing any weight bah...

Now J is CA 7mth liao, I am still "sleep-feeding" her loh...only let her sleep abt 5-6 hours thru, other than that she is still drinking every 3/4 hours! HAhahaha

Pau Le,

i have coincidently answered ur Qns on GD with Serene's Qns...
happy.gif

is it really true that if the first pregnancy is premature birth, the second one will also be premature?

My baby is having problem with her digestion, borned at 30+ weeks, she should be 34-35 weeks old by now. Doctor tried giving her my EBM 3-8ml per 3 hours, but the aspirate (retain) is high >20%.So she is mainly on the drip and on off tube feeding. Besides that she also having problem to pass motion without help now, wonder why in the beginning she has no problem to pass motion and now has it. What's the feeding method that your doctor recommend when your babies are in the SCN/NICU? How baby can pass motion when there's no milk fed to them?

She gains weight like 20-30g per day though without taking the EBM totally. But the weight gain seems so little.... Sigh..

Ai Shing, regarding the aspirate, don't worry about it. My son also had alot of aspirate when they started him on EBM. So he was mainly on nutrient pack with some EBM for the first few days of his life. The pack contains all the nutrients that a baby need at that point of time. My boy's neo-natalist continued with the EBM even tho' he kept having aspirate because he wanted him to be on BM as soon as possible. It really depends on what your doctor think is the best for your baby. I think one of the reasons why your baby is not passing motion is because his digestive system is not fully developed yet. My son also had some issues with passing motion in the beginning but after a few days, resolved by itself. Weight gain will be slow in the beginning. Personally, I feel that they put on weight much faster when they are discharged. My boy was diagnosed as having poor post-natal growth while in the NICU/SCN. But now, he is putting on quite a good weight. I think its because in the hospital, they feed him every 3 hourly but at home, whenever he cries, I will feed him and its about 2 hourly.

Gingal, glad to know that your precious is doing so well. Did you do any excercise with her to aid in her development? Very happy for you =)

Hi aixin,

I think J also aspirate when they tried giving her EBM on the first days of her life..."aspirate" is it cannot digest well and will vomit greenish/yellowish substance? It happened to her, then they stopped one day and gave her totally ntg at all, then try again...

I personally felt that the weight gain of 20-30g a day is pretty good liao...J also gained abt the same level, until she was given MCT oil for supplement when there was a week where she has "nil" weight gain at all...we got worried and asked for the doctor, only then they called in the dietitian and they recommended the supplement. With it, she gained abt 50g a day....

Most times I think if 1st child is premature, subsequent will have high chance, but we still have cases where subsequent births are not...so really dun worry too much ok? by your 2nd pregnancy, ur gynae shld have an idea and more sure abt how to help u prevent the premature birth better than the first...Have Faith!

lilac,

Yah, like try to do what the therapist recommends loh...like let her sit on her own more often, dun sit behind her, cos if sit behind her, she knows we are there to support, she will fall back very often, if we sit in front, she tired also dun dare fall back liao, will try sit longer...we also hold her up frequently to stand etc etc...

Hi Serene,

J was 1.355kg when borned...
happy.gif

Gingal,
So happy for you &amp; Baby J. =)
Can you share what the therapist do with Baby J in Rehab. How long is each session and how much is it? When did you start on these sessions? Was thinking if I should bring Ryan there as I'm still worried that he doesnt want to sit on his own (yet)!

Hi Gingal,

What is MCT oil? My gal still have the Total parental nutrition on the drip.

She didn't vomit the yellow/ green stuff, but only get residual milk in the tummy. Yesterday the nurse gave her the stimulation to pass motion, and after that the aspirate is very low. So she is on the feed again.... hope she will continue to be good.

Your baby borned at 29 weeks still got 1.355kg, really not bad, my gal borned at 30.5 weeks only 1.235kg.

Grace,

The therapist just assess J's development (motor skills) as per her corrected age, if she sees that she is not doing well, or can improve further, she will recommend some exercises for us to do with her at home.
How old is Ryan now as per Corrected age?

aixin,

MCT oil is a supplement to add on to the milk for added calories, to help babies put on weight. How do u know there is residual milk in the tummy? Yah... Hope she can be Good at the feeds again...then can put on weight fast ....

Yah, my J was on the bigger side, cos of my GD mah.... u shld have seen my tummy at 6mths preggie, with the extra fluid and J's size, i can pass of as 8 mths preggie... actually dunno good or bad loh to have GD...

Hi Grace,

Oh yah hor, i shld have rembr, u are also March Mummy...
happy.gif

J goes back every 6 weeks for the Physio assessment...
u realli wanna bring Ryan for assessment? Maybe u can talk to ur PD first..see what he recommend...

Yesterday I had the honor to meet our fighting daddy David!! Not just a great dad and great husband, he is a great guy too, came all the way to deliver the milkmaid tea to my place, i am so touched!!!

Hearing what David has gone thru, with Diana and Danya really hurts me...Well, salute to Diana and David! I am sure our warrior Danya will fight her best in the battle to come... Next week is Danya's op to close up her STOMA, let us all pray hard for her
happy.gif

Thanks David, it was nice chatting with you. Hope to see you and your little princess and queen soon
happy.gif

xbliss, hormone therapy????

precious_one, yep, heard tat h1n1 not really 'proven' for kids...

welcome serene... if u r at kkh. a premmie born without much issues can even be in SCN (special care nursery) instead of NICU...

afcai..hahaha..tx is younger than kate but heavier leh... not sure abt when pneumococcal is available in polyclinic..cos my gal already took hers last yr before she went to playgrp...

gingal..congrats on jerlynn being 'kicked out' of cardiac! :p egg yolk?? TCM doc told me to avoid egg for kate cos she is too heaty... damn if i do and damn if i dont!

wah..david is capturing the hearts of other mommies too :p :p :p

grace, if cost is a concern.. u might want to get referral from polyclinic so that its cheaper..but some pp say referral cases will have less priority in getting appts..not sure how true that is...

<font color="119911">Sam</font>,
if yr trio did not wake up for a feed, that 's a good one. dun request them and make it a routine or habit to wake them out, it will be tough for mummy and caregiver. gd to have bb slp thru night. HX more 'jialat', last feed last time is 6pm+ and then next feed will be like 3am-6am. now, last feed is 7pm so will only wake up 0530am or 6am++.

<font color="119911">lilac</font>,
oic...gd to have long leave to care for our premmiee. hmm...wow, co sponser studies...gd wor...but sian...also bec of tiredness.

<font color="aa00aa">neoah</font>,
got it.

<font color="aa00aa">ginger</font>,
J is like HX, think will skip crawling and just stand and walk. now, he is ok with sitiing.

HX last whole wk lao sai (poo 3 times per day, usually, he only poos once) think he teething again. can see a tiny little third upper tooth liao.

sad sad, HX only interested to 'call papa'.

wow, J really progress well wor...dunno what HX weight loh. how many time do J drink milk now? how's her appeitite on the milk? HX only drink 3-4 times ebm per day (2 x150ml, 1x125ml and 80-100ml) and had 3 solid meal

hmm..J still can drink every 3 hrly? HX only luv to slp. rather slp than eat.

re;thermal cooker
oic. I got one fr offer. last mth, Giant sold $19.90 for a small one.

<font color="aa00aa">Bloom</font>,
anyway, as long as the kids can eat, play, happy etc can liao right....even with such weight, hubby now complain hand pain when carry her.

haa..David is an idol of all mummies here.

hey afcai, wat caught me is you mention HX loves to sleep. wowowow, how i envy! I wish violet loves to zzz too leh. she only sleeps a while like half hour every 3-4 hourly then wakes and tortures us. haha. once she opens her eyes, wow, we have to carry her, plays with her, and brings her to walk around, else she will wail...so how i envy you. Sleeping is very good for kids leh cause they grow in sleep.

Violet is drinking 3 hourly also leh, 180ml per 3 hourly plus 2 solid feeds. like a lot right? but she is still not chubby lor, still rather slim. dunno where is her fats.

gingal, congrats on jerlynn's progress. violet is discharged from the development side only, but still needs to see cardiologist, cause there is a very very soft mummur heard.

aixin, give your baby some time...i know we parents really eager to bring our babies home, but those little fighters out there need time to progress...

aixin, supposedly, if the first one is premature, next one 30% chance of being premature, so there is still 70% chance of getting normal full term. not to worry. i am the extreme case with 3 premature births, one at 23, next at 27, and final at 34 weeks. you see, my pregnancy gets longer and longer, cause me and gynae both knows what to do, and how best we can avoid premature labor. That really helps. So when you get pregnant again, you and your gynae sure can work together to get a full term baby, no worries.

david is really a rare species. haha. not many men like him lor (except my hubby! must say that else he will kill me. hahahahaha)

Back