Premature babies support group

haha mich! i see. but i am looking forward to such a day leh when dash and my little one bother me with all those stuff. hee.

so cutie cutie.

so you are on leave?

hi mummies

kkf
i am here...busy with work. and like mich right now i am 'helpless' haha and office work is piling up hence i seldom come in to chat. i am going on leave soon (this thurs to next thurs).. my mama going holiday lor...

i am so so so tired..and i am not feeling well

nagsterak,
yes...would think if you are finding lili and lindah. best to PM them...

mich,
how's ur trip? got pics 2 share? i salute u! i stay alone at home w ws i oso buay tahan, somemore u got 2!!

kkf,
by then, u will b looking fwd 2 go back & work & hav some 'free' time haha

KKF
Yes, I am on leave.
Cute ah? When they are well behaved and talking to each other while playing, it is quite cute lah. I enjoy listening to their conversation.
But when they fight for toys and start to fuss and throw tantrums.... my blood pressure will go up!

Jane
My throat is itchy. Started this morning. Hope u beta now.

DM
Dun salute me lah. I agreed with you that going to work is really having some "free" time. Ha!

Trip was great. They boys love disneyland very much. When we were back in the hotel room and they were watching disney channel, Dylan said "I like Mickey Mouse and Chip & Dale. I dun like Barney now." Haha... the power of Walt Disney!!
It was very hot in the day and late afternoon onwards is more pleasant.
Yes.. took tons of pictures. I tried to load onto facebook when free. U can view from there.

kkf,
Me here, aiyoh, me 'chasing' dvds lor
happy.gif
my sils passed a lot to me, so thot of fast fast finish then return .....
happy.gif

Mich,
I am waiting to see your pics
happy.gif
how many nites you stay at Disneyland
happy.gif
did you venture into kowloon ?

mich,
agree w u. when they r guai & talking, it's really funny 2 hear them talk..ya, the power of walt disney. glad the kids enjoyed disney. it's in 1 of our 'grand plans' to bring ws to disney world in florida in jan 2010 haha. cos hubby wan to take part in the deisney marathon..

hi mich
haha...like all, waiting to see the pix ler. D&E ok on the air plane ride?. wow you better take care ler. now flu bugs is back.

my new helper? hehe. coming next tuesday (just confirm by the agency). also good la as i be on leave. can guide her throught the daily routine before my mum is back from holiday...

hmm ... i already think about the 'free' time i will have when i am in office keke even before i start on leave :p

Didi
We stayed in Disneyland throughout. It was so fun that we wanted to extend for another night. Called SQ and were told we need to pay additional USD400 in order to change the flights. Not worth it leh. So we came back relunctantly last Friday.
We went Tsim Sa Tsui.

DM
I am not so adventurous yet. I dread the flight from Singapore to FLorida.

Jane
Evans was ok. He zzz during take off for both sectors. Dylan made a lot of noise on the first sector because he refused to fasten the seat belt.

mich
wow seem like u all had so much fun fun fun! hmmm can understand why u all relunctant to come back. hehe think D&E is at the right age to go Hong Kong...
happy.gif

Hi all,

My 2 premature twin daughters are now 3.5months ago already. How times flies...Remembered the last when I posted in this forum, the elder one is still in NICU..haha..

Anyway, both their weight now is only 4.6kg and 4.2kg at 3.5months. I see the chart and its way below the percentile. Both is still on total breast milk now.

Can those experience mummies here advise at which age then will our premature babies weight be on par with the full term babies? Or it can never happen and they will be forever at a smaller size compared to those full-term? Like that if they go school like will feel inferior to their classmates leh...

And also wondering should I let them drink more formula to make them grow weight faster....

hihi - I am new here. I have yet to deliver my child but likely she will be born at wk 35-36 as she is not growing well inside due to previa.

Can someone advise the dos and donts with raising a premmie?
Also I heard they are more susceptible to infections and germs. Does this mean you do not celebrate their 1mth party to prevent infections? Please advise. Thanks.

mummy_yan,
congrats. dun worry 2 much abt their weights. i feel tat as long as they r growing (if i dun rem wrongly, in the 1st few mths, they must put on 1kg per mth). my ger followed the 'rules' closely initially..but now, she's still way way under-weight. she's 2.5yrs old & only 10.3kg!! haha. but her height is ok la. so she's juz skinny & bit small-size, but we r no longer worried. as long as she's eating, growing (though slowly), learning things, happy & (most importantly) healthy, we r satisfied alrdy
happy.gif

feed them,be it formula milk or breastmilk, as & when they want. my advise is, give breastmilk if possible. do not give up. u can beef them up when they r eating cereals..if u can give breastmilk, continue..

ruffles,
if you bb is alrdy 35-36wk, i'm sure all mommies in this forum will tell u hav NOTHING to worry
happy.gif
may not even need to b warded 4 long after birth. i think if the bb is borned small (size wise), he/she will b weaker intially, as compared 2 bigger size bb. but they'll catch up.

i personally think we shld treat our preemie as normal bb. but 4 myself, more determination 4 me to continue to pump breastmilk 4 her as i 'think' she may need breastmilk
happy.gif
more nutritious mah.

ruffles,
welcome here...

35-36 weekers although they are called preemies but i think preterm wld be a better term to describe them.....

hmm...tink for us who got preemies who were born really small, we took special care in the sense of making sure the home is clean, wash yr hands before handling baby etc..but even if handling full term bbs, the same rules apply.if bb is born and generally can breathe on their own etc and of good weight, they MAY be allowed to go home and so just treat them as normal

i got frens who had bbs at 35 plus wk..they had normal 1 mth celebration for their babies as per normal bbs..but of cse, dun let yr bb near to too many pple and of cse not near sick people/crowded places..tink juz the normal and common rules of raising a bb wld apply to a preemie..to which in anycase, yr bb cld just be pre term..
happy.gif

hp tis helps.....oh yes, must second wat dm say...bm is vy important, i tried my best to provide as much bm as possible till one year later had to stop as there wasnt much supply..can see the difference between my bm fed second son and my non bm fed son who is full term and 8 yrs old now...

Mummy yan, let me the eldest premature baby shares my own learning experience, though I am a bit slow in understanding (erm not sure if not knowing how to write "b" cause confused with "d" is counted during my kindergarten days), but I believe it has nothing to do with my prematurity. I was a premature baby borned 27 weeks. I have no problems learning n in my size. Dun worry k?

Mummies who have premature babies, my point is, we are just normal! we are not slow in development! Maybe initially, but we will catch up! Doctors have been saying after age 2, we will just be like normal children. Dun worry about us. And why shd we feel inferior?

If a mummy came to tell me: "my child is slow in learning, maybe due to her premature birth."(my student's mother) well I will be angry. Cause I think how can you blame everything on premature birth? Unless the doctors diagnosed the premature child as having some problems that will affect his/her future, else, the child is normal just like any other! I believe if the child is slow in learning, it could be due to environment factors, cause the mother doesn't even have confidence of her own daughter!

And mummy yan, I am 1.72m tall with a good weight. I am taller than a lot of full term babies, and bigger in size than them. I am def not smaller. When I was a baby, I was skinny, yes, and the kpo neighbours told my mum "this child will never grow", but yet here i am standing tall and big.

I do feel that we premature babies shouldn't be treated differently. We are just normal. 10 years down the road, no one will even bother whether we are premature or not, cause to them we just look, behave, and are the same.

My same advise to ruffles. Be it full term or not, newborn babies need extra care. It doesn't mean that only premature babies (Yours is def not, cause to us all 35-36 weeks is a blessing)are more prone to germs and diseases, right?

didi, wat dvds are you watching?

mich, wish i can bring my kids to disneyland too!
happy.gif
my dream.

btw, i am starting another pelangibooks spree, anyone interested to get? cause like no business. me want to get some chinese workbooks, and to complete my set of books.

http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/590029/1722719.html?1221705556

i kinda miss some of the mummies who seldom post nowadays, like lindah, lili, precious one, jacelyn etc.

it seems like the forum is getting more and more quiet.

Kkf,
fully support wat you say...hee hee..u really very very tall....

u read the book kkh gv us last nov during the prem awareness day..there was a prem boy (born at much below 1kg) who had 240 for his psle..in my heart i was thinking i being full term cant even get such marks if i take the psle again hahah...

kkf,
I am watching assorted dvds, got movies (mainly horror, hb like to watch horror), I am watching the 'jia hao yue yuan' I like so far,(think it is one of the latest hkg serials), and some US serials, the only time I watch those horror dvds with hubby is around 11pm, when we can unwind a bit with some beer and peanuts (when d&d are asleep, so we are really taking ages to finish)
luckily we didn't rent those, otherwise sure kena fine
happy.gif

powergal..ahhah... sorry for the misunderstanding... actually now whenever u have abit of time to spare, can bring ur boy down for some brisk walking ( u push him in his stroller lah) .. the fresh air is good too...

kkf, not sure if i had asked this before..but tat time there is this article about stitching up the cervix to prevent early birth..will it help in ur case? so how is ur visit to doc tan today? did u tell her abt ur contractions? understand abt having to be appreciative abt our existing kid and yet envy others.. me too... now always trying to remind myself that i have a lovely gal so its not the end of the world if i canot have no 2.

dm... cos u din let ws play with fire... my sis try to intro the traditional

powergal, dm..ehehe..me too scard of feeding meds..then there was once at my mom's pl, she showed me how to feed her meds... i carry kate facing her, then no forcing, my mom just casually pour the meds out into the spoon... talk talk then pop, pour everything inside..ahahaha.... so must act 'casual' .... :p

mich, jane, ahhaha..change topic..how did u 'choose' a maid har?? heard so much horror stories..so scared.. i suspect one of these days hb will say wana hire maid cos its cheaper than bbsitter...

mich, what is ur facebook name?

mummy_yan, sorry cannot answer ur Q.. my gal is still smaller than her peers if u r asking.. but i do know of ba-ba premmies.... and like what the other mommies say..the most impt is that they are reaching their milestones...

kkf,
the procedure that bloom talked about is hving the cervical cerclage...i had that done before..if u want to find out more, can ask me...but must find out if dash's premature birth is due cervix issues which i m not sure

Thanks Costa & KKF! Really appreciate your advise. Just that when the doc told me my ger is not growing well despite me being on bedrest and eating like a pig, and so have to take her out earlier.. doc predicts she will only be slightly less than 2kg at birth... I felt my whole world come tumbling down.

Am sure my case is nothing compared to mummies here who really have premmie premmies. Hope I din cause any distress ;(

ruffles,
no lah, u din cause any distress lah...we juz wanna reassure you..u can pm me if you nd to noe anythg....im vy free in the office, one haha

kkf, thanks for sharing your own real life as a premie experience. Very motivating to us as premie's parents. Just to share with you, I am a full term 8.4pounds baby (big hor, but see my size now....petite, even doc. asked...what happened to you now? haha). When it comes to writing in my kindergarten day, I can't even write one properly, instead of doing a vertical downstroke, I write it from bottom to top, my aunt caned me so many times for that....then chinese character "hand", instead of ending with a thick point left, I had it pointing right.... to conclude, you are right to point out that premie and full term children learning abilities are the same....and we all learn through mistakes.
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

hi mummies,

i'm planning for bryan's b'day on 12 oct and need some ideas. thinking of bringing him for a fun day out (read: short and fun! ha.. too long and the parents will suffer!!)

1. any baby gym that provide one-off playing for babies?
2. zoo got alot of mozzies a not?! i also think he is too young for it, is he?
3. can he eat his b'day cake?! worry about egg allergy, and all that stuff that goes into a cake!

tks!

mummyan,
your gals are doing really fine! bryan is still less than 7kg at 11mths!

hi xbliss,

Very fast horr.. My boy also coming to 1 and we r going to celebrate on the 30th Sept
happy.gif

Anyway I hav let craydon try on cakes before, so far so good.. Mayb u let him try egg custard 1st to see if he is allergic to egg??

Hi dm/costa,
yaa intend to BM until they are 1yrs old..provided my supply still there...somemore I need supply BM for TWO babies...when they increase their milk intake, very soon my supply will not be enough...

Hi costa,
Whats the difference you see in both ur child with 1 on BM and 1 w/o??

Hi kkf,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I actually meant inferior in terms of size, but not the learning lah...I heard premature babies tend to be smarter..haha...

mummy_yan,
My non bm fed 8 year old son got sick vy often when he was a baby and immunity quite low.....My elder son gave the paedi alot of business...every mth can see him average of one time..sometimes even more than one time
sad.gif
Not that my second prem son dun fall sick but his immunity seems better than my elder son although he is so tiny...haha...he is still tiny...at almost 2 yrs corrected age,he hits the scale at only about 9 plus kg...

<font color="0000ff">That explain y my poor little craydon kept falling sick.. sighz.. he is sick almost every 2mth leh..</font>

mummy_yan,
i not so hardworking as costa.. i only give breastmilk till she's 8mth old
happy.gif

xbliss,
i did not give ws egg till she turns 1yr old. so cakes r out. we were q strict with her diet until she turns 1 &amp; open to all food, except nuts &amp; seafood till now still no. wan to wait till 3yr old. she din eat her 1st yr bday cake cos it's choc cake.

dm and yan,
haha, me not that hardwkng..my frens bm till longer even though the kids are full term....

powergal,
dun tink tt its the reason for craydon being sick lah...my elder son is dem big sized and oso tiam tiam sick like every month like wat i said....maybe craydon is at the stage of crawling/climbing and putting thgs fm the floor to his mouth?

<font color="0000ff">Costa,
Dun know leh.. Somehow rather, whenever craydon is sick, I will start regret that I didn't give him much breastmilk as he needed..

DM,
I watched an episode on Tyra Bank Talk Show about breastfeeding, there is a champion mummy who breastfeed her 2 daughters till 8yo!!! There was a video clip showing her 8yo daughter sucking on her breast for milk!! When I thought my hubby's colleague's wife is hardworking for still breastfeeding her 1.5yo son, now that I saw the mummy on the programme, I salute to her.. </font>

powergal,
juz 2 console u.. my SIL breastfeed my nephew till almost 2, but he fell sick more often than my ger.. like wat costa said, breatmilk is not the main reason 4 kids 2 fall sick la.so no need 2 blame urself

but i read somewhere..no more or very little nutrition in breastmilk after dunno-how-many-mths??

Hi all, wow, glad to see so many posts!!!
happy.gif

mummy yan, reassure you again, no worries about size. My colleague who was premature, 27 plus weeks too, twins (her elder sister died at birth), she is just the right size. My student (the one I told you the mummy blamed her poor results to her prematurity), she is a tall gal playing basketball!

Dun worry. I am one fine example, standing tall, and good weight lor (I wish I can be more skinny, haha!!)

You all made me guilty. I breastfed dash for 3 months only leh (somemore is partial breastfed).

For my next baby, i am determined to breastfeed for at least half a year (hopefully got supply).

ruffles, no worries leh, no distress. Your babies really good gestation age liao, dun worry. all the best!

Powergal, can lar, I remember I let dash just eat very little bit (like yi si yi si).

bloom and costa, thanks, but mine is not incompetent cervix. Wish is that, but not.
sad.gif
cause my gynae said i experienced contractions before my cervix opened, so not incompetent cervix. Dr ann tan had mentioned that she will stitch up for me if necessary, but till now, 4th months liao, she still never mention. Think my case is really not incompetent cervix.

xbliss, wow, think maybe a 1 year old will not enjoy so much with zoo? gym maybe.

dm, good news? yeah yeah, gynae said I shd be expecting a gal! yeah yeah!

got to go makan.

HI kkf,

Yaa actually I shld be very contented that both my twins made it. Heard many stories from friends and my gynae that during the premature birth, either 1 of the twin couldnt make it to see the world..it was really sad to know it.

My elder one also had a fight with her life because her placenta split suddenly and that causes my premature birth altho the mei mei is still growing well in the tummy. Jie jie is the weaker one coz everytime take jab she will got slight fever. Meimei seems to be stronger. But I can see jie jie had a strong will power as she was sick for 2 weeks when I brought her home from NICU after fews weeks. Kena flu virus but she managed to fight off the virus and is a happy baby now (this makes me wan to breastfeed even longer)..
happy.gif

Both are fine now and seeing them from 1+kg grow until 4+kg, now learning how to flip and beginning to have a sense of sight and touch, and also keep similing away, my heart really melts! ^_^

re bm
yes I agree BM is not the main factor, also depend on the kids. my hubby is BM fed and his sister is not, she had FM all the way. hubby gets sick quite often as a child and even when older till now age 30. has asthma and allergies. sister is more healthy. I was v suprised to know this.. my Nada seems healthy, even more than hubby ;) Thank God.

kkf
me same as u, not breastfeed as long either.my target was 2 yrs somemore.. sad and hope to rectify that..6 months sounds gd :p

KKF
Wow wow... A gal! Congrats again.

Jane
You started your leave?

Bloom
Maids - it depends on your priority.
My main criteria is she must be married with children so that she knows how to attend to the basic needs of children.
Not important whether she can cook or not. All my maids dun cook. My mum or i will prepare the food.
Housework - Can be trained.
No such thing as how to choose a good maid.
It depend on your LUCK!

Xbliss
I think Bryan is too young to enjoy zoo.
Gym sounds more suitable. You can call them for trial class (you pay for one session).
How about Gymboree? At Tanglin Mall and Forum Galleria.
If you google "baby gym classes", i am sure you will see a long list
happy.gif
Have fun.

kkf,
congrats!! ur dream came true. now the more u must endure the bedrest &amp; deliver a cute little princess next yr
happy.gif
heehee.. i can pass u ger ger's clothes, provided u haven't bought a lot urself
happy.gif

dm... cos u din let ws play with fire thats why she din like it :p... my sis try to intro the traditional lantern then my gal wana crush the whole lantern

xbliss, u mean play in those gym as in join class/just use their facilities? i got the gymboree card expiring in 18/19 oct which entitle u a cheaper rate if u go in during non-class timing and play on ur own..if u r interested i can send u the card (i dont use it).... if u r afraid of egg in cake, can try eggless cake. i ordered that for kate's 1 yo bd from a cakeshop near guanyin temple...

powergal, wow..bf till 8 yo? is she working?

kkf, congrats on having a gal! ehehe.i tink gals are more fun than boys :p what did doc tan say abt ur 'contractions' tat day?

mich, yeah..luck is very impt..i heard of some pp look for maids with kids but end up their kids are taken care of by others so the mother-maids no experience in taking care of kids...

mummy_yan... maybe i got big ego..but i am very short and most of my frens are > 10 cm taller but i never feel inadequate..but sometimes when i stand next to pp shorter than me and can see the top of their head, i will go 'oh..so this is how my frens feel when they stand next to me..'

Hi dm here is the website, min 15.
http://www.stamfordcs.com.sg/
really ah? you can pass to me? you sure you not going to have 2nd one? i am most happy to accept, cause me very broke now no money to buy for my bb. Everytime gynae visit 300-400 plus, really want my life. I am thinking of letting my little gal wears gor gor blue clothes. haha.

Bloom I didn't tell ann tan about it, cause I am not sure if it is contractions. She gave me pills to relax uterus though (hormone pills).

Me happy too, so happy that its a gal, just hope wun turn out a boy next visit. haha. My princess baby violet! hee.

sala dm, not min 15, the food is for 10 persons, and you got to choose the food you want. But I cater for 15, cause normally more than enough.

You go to "our menu" and under "party meals"

kkf,
thanks 4 the link. we r all happy 4 u 2..anyway, even if a di-di 4 dash, still happy as long as bb healthy. but if bb girl, of cos i can pass the clothes 2 u
happy.gif
if u dun mind hand-me-down. confirm dun wan 2nd 1 alrdy :p unless accident which i hope not

thanks thanks! didi yah, will name her "violet".

I dunno its like a dream come true. haha, i am beginning to worry that next scan turns out otherwise, i will faint.

but you are right dm, as long as bb healthy boy or gal doesn't matter. actually i am just hoping for my previous 2 pregnancies both boys all premature, so if i have a gal now, the outcome may be different, as i have read somewhere gals stay in the womb longer and can fare better.

Back