Premature babies support group

xbliss, gingal and kkf, thanks so much for the encouragement. It just bring tears to my eyes when xbliss, you shared about going to the toilet to cry. Mums are like that, isn't it? Always putting a strong front for our babies and then retreating to a quiet corner to recollect ourselves. Gingal, yes, really have to bite teeth and go through it with him.

kkf, do you feel that your boy cried alot after the operation? Don't know leh, I feel that it will be painful after the op.... don't know how he will feel. The heart surgery must have been really tough for you to go through!! I can feel your pain lor.... everything is alright with your boy now?

<font face="Comic Sans Ms">Morning Mummy &amp; Daddy.. Have been so busy recently as baby Jed is in the midst of changing doctors. Instead of conitnue to follow up with TMC, he will be seeing doc @ KKH. The cleft clinic feel is better this way as they will hv easier access to Jed's medical reports etc if all e doc are in house.

Baby Jed has just seen Dr Natalie Ann Epton on Wed &amp; today we'll be seeing Dr Lam Pin Min in eye centre. Next wk will have to redo his hearing test, ultrasound etc.. KKH has become our 2nd home for now
sad.gif

Baby Jed now weighs 2.87kg &amp; 48cm long. He's drinking 70ml/3hrly &amp; sneaking little latches in between feed too.

<font color="0000ff">Lilac</font>

*hugz* I can understand how u feel.. Jed is due to go for surgery to reconstruct his cleft once he hits 4kg. He haven't even go thru e surgery &amp; I'm already feeling e pain

But we've to be strong &amp; continue to believe in the Lord for our baby's sake.

Btw I'm bottle feeding Jed now due to his cleft situation. His previous PD dun tink Jed is able to latch but Dr. Natalie encouraging me to try since Jed has e instinct. I've so far tried to put him to my breast a few times. He manage to latch on &amp; suckle though nt sure if manage to get any milk. I'm slowly trying to switch.

If continue to pump tink my BM SS will dry up soon. With all e hospital visits, I'm unable to keep up w e 3hrly pumping routine. BM SS has drop from 250ml per session to 160ml jus bcuz I missed some sessions past few days.

<font color="aa00aa">WH</font>

Thick &amp; Easy is to thicken e EBM for baby Jed as he had some reflux problem. I don't wana switch him to FM so hv to use Thick &amp; Easy instead.

Can you email me the scanned pages too.. thanks. My email addy : [email protected].
happy.gif

<font color="0000ff">Nana-Kuchi</font>

Pls help me to update. Baby Jed was in NICU for 30 days

<font color="aa00aa">Zola</font>

How are you doing w Baby Joya?

<font color="0000ff">KKF</font>

Dash has grown ya.. I rem he was still a small boy when you posted in the Oct-05 mummy thread. </font>

Hi! jenifur

O.k. Went to review Joya eye today left side o.k. right side not o.k.

Hi! Nana-Kuchi

Kindly help me to update.
Baby Name: Joya
Bate DOB: 15.07.2009
weight: 1430g
female
Nicu:25 Day

Hi! kkf
Your kids are so cute

Hi! jenifur

Kindly let me know how are there service in kkh. How much they charge for the eye review?

thank you

Hi Mummies,

Just wanna share how happy I was when I rec'd 2 stuff toys ordered from a fellow mummy! They are so cute and lovely! But sad thing is, she has stopped taking further orders as she has many to complete first. She will be back with more of her handicrafts..I can't wait!

My Lil' J @ CA 5 mths 3 days old

2836906.jpg
2836907.jpg

gingal, little J is so adorable. I like all that she is wearing!! her romper, her little socks!! So cute.

jenifur, thanks for the encouragement. Yes, trying to be strong and also trying to get lotsa rest. Realized that when I am tired due to lack of sleep, my temper tend to be a bit short with my elder one. Wow, your supply is really good leh.... I can only manage on average 700ml per day so average about 100ml per pump. Must continue to pump.

Precious_one, thanks...

lilac,

I bought her stuffs all from fellow mummies, hehe...

The romper comes with A to Z initials, and the cutting is rather small... J is wearing size 12 and abit tight on the thighs for her liao...
The rompers good for premmies I feel, make us really good to "bluff" ourselves they are wearing Big sizes!!! kekekeke...

Interested to get the romper? I can check with my friend if she still has the initial and size u want...I think it's about $15 a piece...I can't remember...

BTW, socks i also got from the same mummy, a pack of 3 (Red/black and pink) for $8...there are ppl selling at SMH BP also, the "mini combi" mary jane socks, same price...I love these socks too.. they are anti-slip, and won't slip down like other socks do...

gingal, yes! I am interested in getting the rompers but hor does she have rompers for boys? I totally agree with you about the making us feel good to 'bluff' ourselves!! Ke, ke...

Today, Nate was transfered to another ward - growing premmies ward. Cos he stable liao and now need to just concentrate on putting on weight and of course the hernia operation. But hor, the ward machiam very cold leh... and only 2 nurses to quite alot of babies. It is more quiet over there but I don't really like the environment.... no windows to see the outside world like that. Previously, he was always near the windows....

hi guys.
haven't been posting for awhile. was resting..sad news.. lost my pregancy. foetus heartbeat suddenly stopped yesterday.. scheduled for 2nd scan later and if comfirm surgery later in the day..wht can't i have a smooth surgery??

Grace
Focus on getting well. Take care and GOD bless you.

Sam
Somehow, I replied to yr msg ytd but didn't appear...strange

I bought all equipments so can't advise u on the rental rate. I suggest that you confirm with neo nat the oxygen equipment requirement at home, then rent it only if it is for short term use. If long term, then buying could be more economical. Will pray that your son do not need any of this.

Hi! Grace,

Don't be sad. I can understand your feeling cos I lost
1st child @ 2005
2nd child @ 2006

and I had my babies

3rd @ 2007 (37 week)
4rd @ 2009 (30 week)

My hubby also say that god want to choose the best for us. Rest well

wow, need to catch up on a lot of posts!

Precious_one and Xiaowanzi,

Thanks for your information on o2 support.. !! sorry that i replied so late, really busy and tired recently..

Long time never post..One month has passed and Xavier is still on O2 support, very frustrating. There is slight improvement though, he can maintain above 86 without O2 for more than one hour, not good enough, but not too bad. We called Doc and doc said we can off the o2 during daytime and jus turn it on for feeding and night sleep..Well, better than nothing!

He is otherwise doing very well, still eats and sleeps well. Getting fatter now to about 5kg! Going to start solids soon, hope he can gets stronger and we can return the O2 concentrator and pulse oximeter back sooon...

David,

I read the story on the malrotation website, very sad...I really can feel their pain, saying goodbye to own child is probably the saddest moment in one's life. We got to cherish our child ya.....

Danya is a super warrior, she will be fine~~~!! I am sure she can go thru the operation smoothly
happy.gif

Lilac,

Has Nate done his hernia op already? Hope all is well with him..dun worry, hernia op is a small op! When Xavier did his PDA ligation surgery , i was very calm and didnt cry..(actually that was the 2nd scheduled op, 1st one was postponed becos he stopped breathing after GA given, very scarry..)I guess my stress has overwhelmed me so much that i dunno how to cry....

Grace,

I am sorry for your loss, totally can understand how u feel since i too experienced loss of child before. Be strong and take care!

Gingal,

J is so pretty!!! I love the toy and her romper! THey have design for boys? give me the contact pls! Btw, my husband said J's shoes looks very cute, a bit like the "er mei pai" style leh...hehe..

kkf,

Nice picsss!!! They look really adorable! Good job
happy.gif

Sam,

O2 concentrator is 220SGD 1st mth, 110 2nd mth onwards.
Pulse oximeter is 250SGD 1st mth, 7/per day 2nd mth onwards. Sensor for the pulse oximeter is 35SGD for one, it gets spoiled easily..so far after 1 mth, i m using 4th sensor liaoo..
If u need the contacts, pls let me know.

How much oxygen does Josiah need?

Hi Jas,

For the toys, my fren has stopped taking orders, she is trying to finished up the oreders she has taken first...

For the romper, if we can get 10 pieces, my other fren can help us order it...but, i'm still waiting for her to send me the pics, if u guys are interested, can PM me with ur email so I can forward to u? Yes, she has boys and girls designs from Size: 0-18mths. Prices range from $13-15 each...

Hi Jas,

Josiah is on 30% oxygen. The last time i heard was 1L. I spoke to the hospital, asking them to try to wean him off and let him stay in hospital if need to.. cause i can't handle 2 alright babies n 1 sick baby .. too much for me to handle at a go..

Sam

Josiah is not a sick baby, he is slightly weaker than his brothers. He will be alright.

Is Josiah in SCN, I guess not cos I understand that nurses there do not handle baby with O2 but his oxygen requirement is minimum.

If he's still in NICU, it is better to bring him home as home environment beats hospital where there are so many virus. Chance for infection. 3 are quite handful. Can enlist relatives to help or hubby take unpaid leave etc. Baby grows and well and become strong faster at home. Trust me!

Gingal,

Paiseh, hehe..PM u liao

Sam,

If Josiah comes home as well, it must be hard for you to take care of 3 at the time! But I agreed with Precious_one, Josiah is not a sick baby, he is jus slightly weaker. Home environment will definitely do him better, and less chance of infections! Even though Xavier is home with O2 support, he is still very active and normal, only restriction is the cannula that prevents him from going around...

Besides, if Josiah needs 1L, you really got to check with doc how long they predict he will need O2 for. Xavier was home with 0.25L, gradually down to 0.125L. NOw it is almost after a month, we are still not weaning off... So if they foresee that it will take a while, maybe it is also more cost saving to bring him home..

ANyway, just my personal advice. I know it must be a great challenge having 3 babies at home! Jiayou

Jas, Nate have not had his hernia operation yet cos' his weight has not hit 1.8kg. Eh, dun scare me leh... cos Nate will be undergoing GA... but I guess hernia is really a minor operation so I should really just surrender to God and be strong.

Grace, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you can have quality rest and 'bu' back your body.

Gingal, thanks for the email. Yes, I am interested in the rompers but would like to take a look a the pics first. Thanks leh.

Nate had his first bottle feed yesterday. It went really well. He was able to finish the whole bottle of 35 ml. But today, daddy fed him and he had his first desat after not having a desat for a long while. And it was quite bad cos' the nurse basically have to take over and I saw her pressing Nate's lips to 'wake' him up. He was not unconcious or anything like that, just that his hearbeat dropped and O2 also went down. I think it scared my hubby. Sigh... so how? What does it all mean? It will take a while? Maybe not ready yet? He hasn't reach 1.7kg yet so maybe still too small. I was a little affected (again) ... or rather quite reflective. Things like breathing, sucking and swallowing come so easy for term baby but for a premmie, it is really difficult for them lor... and that I should not take it for granted.

Hi,
I was wondering what is the youngest preemie anyone has come across, and did the baby went home?
My dr only gave my pregnancy a chance of making it to 24 wks at most with no promise of a living baby if i ever get pregnant again.
I lost 3 babies all before 23 wks. The last one was 23wks and 3 days.
Anyone with any information?

Hi vac, I scrolled back to the past entries and there is a table consolidating all the premmies' details. I saw a few babies who were born at 24 weeks and managed to survive. So there is a possibility. What did your doctor say about the survival rate of a 24th weeker?

Hi Vac,

The youngest i heard is 23 weeks, so definitely there is still a chance for 24 weekers! I gave birth to my twins at 25 weeks, lost one after 46 days (but that was purely due to complications before born), left one growing well and cute..And i remember we have a mummy who gave birth to twins at 24 weeks, so if twins can survive, singleton has bigger hope! keep faith

Why is the doc so sure about not making it to after 24 wks?

Lilac

Dont be scared by me! He stopped breathing becos he was still relying on ventilator that time, and the breathing tube moved away from his windpipe ...which according to the doctor, was rather rare...

Desat while feeding is very common..how low did he go? Xavier is 5kg, and still desats.. he dropped to 70s sometimes, so we still connect to oxygen while feeding...I am praying hard for the weaning off soon!

V.A.C,

We do have successful births here at 24 weeks! Maybe some of our mummies here can share with u! Keep yourself thinking positively and hoep all will be well!

Gals
thanks for your comforting wishes esp gingal, giving me lots of advice and cheers.. guess i have to look forward now and spent all my energy to maddy.

Vac
my girl is a 24 weeker, borned 610g. she is growing very well now. have hope.

Hi grace, rest well, and build up ur body before trying for another yah? take care...my cousin's wife also had her pregnancy same case as urs, no heartbeat, and got to abort, but now she is pregnant again and going to give birth soon...

lilac, hernia surgery is very minor really, the babies wun cry after surgery. they will cry only before surgery cause they can't drink milk...and they are hungry.
happy.gif
dun worry. my boy is fine already, cause hole in heart patched up liao. right now just needs to see cardio yearly.

V.A.C, any reason why u gave birth all babies at 23 weeks? did you rest? i gave birth at 23 weeks plus for my eldest boy, he survived two days in nicu.How about urs? He passed away because he had serious bleeding in brain. Anyway, my 2nd one is 27 weeks, and 3rd at 34 weeks. I manage to pull thru to 34 weeks because I waited 2 years later before trying another (to get my body enough rest) and I really rested throughout my whole pregnancy (fr first day i noe I am pregnant). I believe if u do the same thing, you can also get a nearly full term baby. dun worry.

You may want to look for dr ann tan from mount elizabeth? she is good with high risk pregnancies.

aiyo, gingal, jerlynn will sure grow up to be a big beauty!!! very nice big eyes and good weight leh! violet not even that chubby lor.

VAC

My girl was delivered at 24 weeks + 4 days and she will be 5 yrs old next Feb. As far as I remembered, KKH gynae came to my bedside at week 23, she said even if baby came out alive, the hospital will not do much to save the baby as the surviving rate is low and the growth would not be good either. At week 24, there's a 50% chance of surviving and the medical team will make attempt to save the baby.

However, I knew that there's a premie delivered in India at week 23 or lower and survived too. Don't give up hope. If GOD is willing, every life will be saved.

kkf, precious_one, and grace, wow... you mummies have been through alot... it is really amazing how you press on in the difficult times!! Thanks for sharing.

Jas, he went down to 50 something and his heartbeat dropped to 40 plus.... I think daddy was too excited about feeding him so did not pace the feeding. But he seems alright now. Still need pacing.

Nate is 1.760kg today. Probably will go for his hernia operation next week. Daddy will be overseas for 10 days. Chances are high that Nate might be discharged when daddy is away. Hope I can cope.

Re: latching on. Any mummies here managed to latch on baby successfully for feeds? Please PM to let me know how you did it. For my elder son, I latch all the way. So, is still used to latching then expressing. Plus, I read that it is actually easier for premmie baby to latch on than to bottle feed.

lilac,

Yes, jerlynn can still latch when back home. u just have to go to hospital and latch Nate maybe at least once a day to let him have a feel of it. but i only latch her at night in the beginning, and gradually stop for a few days, when i regretted and wanna latch back, she dun wan liao...now she either see my nipples like poison and will gag when i try to latch, or she will jus lick ard and bite it instead of suck..treating them as teethers...hahaha

It is actually said to be easier to latch as chances of them desating is lower bah...but they are more used to being bottle-fed as they are mostly fed by bottles in the hospital...

gingal, thanks for your advice. I have been asking the nurses if I could latch on but they have not been exactly forthcoming.... I think it is also because with bottle, one would know how much Nate is drinking. But with breast, there is no way to know except for the wet diapers. Plus, weight gain is crucial during this period. Indeed, I think Nate is very much used to bottle-fed liao....

I need another advice. If things go well, we reckon that Nate might be discharged in 2 weeks' time. But my hubby will be overseas. 1. Should we leave Nate in the hospital and wait for my husband to return? 2. If we chose to bring him back, should I move in with my parents or stay at my own place alone with Nate? One concern with staying with my parents is my mum tends to fall sick easily i.e. she has bouts of coughing infrequently. My dad is a smoker. Although they have promised to maintain high hygiene standard, I am still a little concern cos' even when my mum is sick, she would still want to carry Nate insisting that she is not sick (she does that with my elder son) But if I stay alone, I am worried that my parents might be upset. Another thing is, would I be able to cope being alone with Nate? If he was a term baby, I would confidently say that I can cope. But with a premmie.... things can be quite unexpected. So... what should I do?

Lilac,

When Nate doesnt have desat prob while feeding, u can latch on until Nate refuses to drink directly, then top up with bottle. This way, u may train him, and also make sure that he is not underfed in case he got tired with latch on. U can get a sense that whether he is willing to do latch on too...hope it helps. For my case, Xavier gets tired of latching after a while, and i need to top up by bottle a lot....After sometime, i got really tired, and go full bottlefeed...Hope u get more luck than me!

As for coming home, it is a hard decision...got to ask yourself whether you are confident by ur own? If not, really got to make sure ur parents abide certain "rules" as preemies are very vulnerable to bacteria/virus infections when they are still underweight, and smoking is a definitely no no....

Hi Lilac,

Oh yah, forget to tell u, I think they are most willing to let u try latching on about 1 week before Nate's Homecoming. This is also when the nurses will urge that u go visit Nate at least a couple of times a day or stay longer hours there, so that u will get to know Nate's temperamental and also try latching...
happy.gif
Have u gone for the "Homecoming Course"?

After latching Jerlynn in the hospital, I will top-up with the bottle milk feed too, just like Jas.

1. Fellow mummies have advised me before, as I also wanted to let Jerlynn stay longer the other time, as I wasn't confident to take care of her...But it is not wise to do so as I know now...Cos the chances of getting infection is high in the hospital and baby really grow fast and better at Home.

2. Likewise, my dilemna was to stay with my PILs or to go back home. My sil's kids frequently get sick and I'm so afriad of the hygiene problem too, as u know young kids, get excited over babies and will wanna get near and touch and kiss etc. Turned out, they really fell sick for the weekend we went back, so I moved home alone. next weekend we tried again to move back to my PIL hse, but they kids fall sick for another episode again. Then we moved home permanently. I was alone taking care of baby, it was really tiring with the feeds and all, but managable as my hubby will be back home after work abt 8+pm and help out. 1st 2 mths, all baby does is eat, sleep and poo poo...so not too bad. Now she is abt CA 5.5mths old, I can't managed alone liao, so my mum comes over to help me in the afternoons, as baby is hyperactive and always wants attention! For your case, hubby will be overseas wor, it will be really stressful alone, I feel, some help will be great! I'm sure if u stress the importance of Nate cannot fall sick like other term babies, and any episode of mild sickness, u gotta rush him back to hospital to stay, might scare ur mum abit and she will be careful? me and hubby exargerated abit on that, as my MIL also always will say my SIL's kids not sick, when they are...(U see, nowadays we bring Jerlynn over to stay on weekends nights, but will not do so if the kids there are sick). Now my MIL will monitor to make sure my SIL's kids are really alright before she asked us to bring Jerlynn over... It took us about 2-3 mths to make her understand this
happy.gif

VAC,

My son was born at 24weeks at kkh 3 yrs back..and stayed in hospital for 5 mths plus.....

During my time, there was a baby boy born at 23 wks...same nursery as my son....i think now he should be about 3 plus older than my son...

Jas and Gingal, thank you so much for taking the effort to share about your experiences. I am still unsure what I should do. Initially, I was veering towards staying with my parents as it would mean extra help. But my mum called me today and told me she is on MC due to flu. And the best part is that she suggested maybe I should bring my elder son over since she is at home. I was like... okay.... So being alone at home might be a better idea after all. Having said that, I am still undecided. Maybe need to prep both side of parents to tell them the dos and don'ts. I have not attended the Homecoming Course. Perhaps soon cos' when I visited Nate today, there was a sticker on his cot notifying us of the sessions coming up. So am looking forward to that. Jas, ya... was thinking will latch on and then top up with bottle-feeding and then express to empty breast. Alot of work.... but I must press on. See how it goes bah. If at the end of the day really cannot latch on, then just bottle-feed.

Hi

Glad to discover this thread. My girl was born at 25 weeks last August. She's been doing well. I read that premees have longer REM during sleep. This I experience since she came home, it's improving by the day. Any mum experiencing this?

Oh yah, i know liao, Rapid Eye Movements! kekeke

Jerlynn has long REM, which i think explain why she is always like not sleeping enough..I thought it might be a good thing, cos she proceesed what she learnt during her awake hours during the REM moments, and will be smarter? keke

BTW, she also "Hum Bin" aka have nightmares alot....often chuckles or whines at sleep.

hi gingal

Is it tiring for you when Jerlynn sleeps only a little? No time to get things done. Aisha has an 'alarm clock' in her that wakes her up almost every half an hour of her day nap. I have to put her back to sleep again when she is up. She also has super sensitive ears.

She sleeps longer in yao lan but thinking of weaning her soon. Where does Jerlynn sleep?

balina,

Jerlynn sleeps alot...her routine will be from 11pm and will sleep til next morning abt 8-9am then play for an hour or so and nap from 11am til 2-3pm, then will be awake til 5-6pm and naps about 30mins and wakes and play til about 11pm...occassionally her timings will go upside down and she will be awake from 1am til 6am...

The prob is I feel she sleeps so much is becos she does not have quality sleep and often will be like having dreams or REM....

She sleeps in Yao Lan in My MIL house on weekends nights cos she recognise place and feels safer in Yao Lan. But she sleeps on her Cot at home...sometimes we need to rock her to sleep, other times she will fall asleep by her own.

To wean Aisha out of Yao Lan, guess initial stage will be very tedious, maybe u gotta be the "manual rocker" yourself and tiring wor...

U put a beanhusk pillow on her chest when she sleeps? Maybe it will help? I used the beanhusk pillow, a bolster and a couple of stuff toys and a thick baby comforter and make her feel safe in her Cot...so now she can fall asleep on her own most times.

Back