Piano Lesson

Hi caroline3sg, dun thank me first. Wait till i get u a teacher. Hehe.

Dear Cocoon, i will try to keep a look out for you too
happy.gif

hi piano,
for the start, can i put her to those class held by CC to find out if she is really interested?
any idea what's the diff bet classes in CC and in branded music school? So young no need 1-1 rite?

Hi mama_g,

If i remember correctly, CC accept teachers from grade 7. Even some of the 'brand' music schools also do that. In my point of view, whether to cultivate interest or learning serious, should have a strong foundation as you wont know if she is going to take it up seriously. If she were to take up seriously in future but doesn't have a strong foundation then she might have to start building up her foundation and it will be a waste of time. I have a no. of transfer students who learned for a few years but can't count or read notes which i have to start them all the way from beginning.

If she can read and understand alphabets and numbers, it is good to start 1 - 1 as she will have the full attention and the teacher will go according to her pace. However, if she cant yet, do go for music appreciation classes first till she is ready for 1-1.

I actually have students age 2.5. However, some i can only do music appreciation but others i can actually start them on formal lessons. Quite impressive. Of couse it depends on individual and the hard work of the parents.

Hope this helps
happy.gif

Cheers

I heard seimpi is not bad. They are using the CDE method. They teach note reading etc. As for suzuki, it focus more aural and notes come in very much later. More on music appreciation. I have comment about suzuki method in another thread. Do do a search on wikipedia on suzuki on the limitations
happy.gif

Hi all

Can check with you mum, is it a norm that a kid just finished grade 4 pratical last week, and coming grade 4 theory in nov and teacher straightway ask to start grade 6 next month and charged grade 6 rates?thanks

Any teachers to recommend in Balestier/TPY area?
Wanted to continue 1-1 in Mandeville. But the 3 teachers we hv shortlisted all full.

Hi Mommies,

Anybody has any recommendation on what brand of piano to purchase besides Yamaha & Kawai? I am looking for a new piano for my son as we do not have any knowledge of finding a good used piano. My budget is not more than $5k. I know my budget is low but I am not sure if my son's interest will last long. Anybody has comments on new piano of brand Atlas or Nordiska?

Thanks!

Dear Joy, normally for my students i wont charge grade 6 immediately as i will be continuing with grade 5 syllabus. Most prob i will charge gr 6 fees when i confirm that my student is taking gr 6 practical. As your child is still doing gr 4 theory in gr 4, she will have to complete gr 5 theory in order to take grade 6 practical and it is impossible for her to take grade 6 next year as she need to pass gr 5 theory in Nov 08 in order to take grade 6 practical in 2009. Hence i suppose the teacher will not be registering her for gr 6 practical next yr. However it depends on teachers also. Maybe the teacher already have a plan for your child already.

Dear Wan_Wan,you might like to try wilhelm tell at gramercy. They have this model 124 which is slightly pass 5K. They are having a promotion now so it is cheaper by about $500. You might wan to pm me if u need more info.

As for atlas, personnally i don't really like the piano as it can't really last for more then 5 yrs. As for Nordiska, i have not heard of the brand before.

Thanks Painojazzy.

Nordiska is one of the brands that we saw at christofori warehouse sales last month. We have not heard of the brand too...

Maybe I should also consider buying a used piano...someone in the internet is selling a used Kawai of 14 years for $3900 which is within my budget not sure if I should go & test it out with my friend who has learnt piano before. But there is always risks in buying a used piano. Anybody any comments or experience to share on buying a used piano?

Thanks.

Try to get a brand new one if possible as you don't know what happen to the piano in the past. Just like getting a 2nd hand car or handphone etc

However try to get from shops instead if you really think of getting a second hand piano as they provide warrenty and buy back scheme etc.

Hi,

I'm keen to let my 4yr old girl learn piano. Any comments on Yamaha(JMC)-4 years course for children and Cristofori-Music for Little Mozart?

Thanks.

Hi pianojazzy,

You mentioned that if a child can read and understand alphabets and numbers, it is good to start 1 - 1. My 4yr old girl knows her alphabets and numbers but my concern for starting her on 1-1 is her short attention span. not sure whether she can concentrate for 45mins.. Btw, do you have any piano teacher to recommend in Jurong area?

Thanks

Hi trishbb,

Most teachers give 30min lesson for beginners especially for young children and some don't even take them as they are too young. Teaching young children need tons of patience.

However starting at the age of 4 is good especially 1-1. Normally what i do is i teaches some basics and 1 note during the first lesson. For the next lesson i will try to stretch the practical time slightly longer (depending on the child) and so on for the next few lessons. Hence it helps to lengthen the attention span for the child too. I am able to give 45min lesson as i have a lot of activities to do with them. Unless for those who are too young like 2+yr old or has some problems like hyperactive and ASD etc.

As i mentioned,all my friends are teaching in the east. I will ask them to look around too, will also try to know more teachers staying at other areas during future seminars to help more mummies here
happy.gif

Hi pianojazzy,

Thanks for the info. Really like your style of teaching but it's too tedious to bring two young kids all the way to the East myself! Might try Yamaha-JMC or Cristofori-Music for Little Mozart first cos distance is an important factor now.

Hi Pianojazzy

Can I just check with you what is the market rate for grade five piano for an hour session...just roughly...thanks

pianojazzy,

any piano tr to recommend?
preferably staying in pasir ris.

currently, my gal is taking her 30-min piano lesson in the cc weekly.
the tr is from lowrey, it's 1-to-1.
but dun think she's really progressing.

pianojazzy

Thanks for info.

Just wanna check, if you currently charged one hour lesson for grade 3 for 170 and if going grade 5, what will be your standard increment?thanks

Dear Joy, this rate is based on if i charge my student at 170 for an hour for grade 3. For my rates, gr 3 is 150 for 45min lesson and gr 5 is 210 for an hr lesson. If the student wishes to continue with 45min lesson for gr 5 as he/she come for lesson together with siblings(ie, he can sit in his sibling's lessons), then it will be 170 for 4 lessons for 45min each (gr5). This is based on lessons at teacher's place.

However, different teachers charges differently and they might have their own reasons. Would you like to share what has happen and i will be able to advise you more?

I just bought a second YAMAHA piano,the model is U3,3K plus only.The sound is extremely nice,I felt actually the quality of old piano is better than now.I always found some key problems in my student's Yamaha new piano.

Another reason is I cant afford to pay 10k to buy new brand Yamaha.

Actually few years ago a lot piano teacher visit house only charge SGD120 for beginner for 45 mins.nowaday,the transport fees is so high,that y we need to increase to 140.if nearby my house area students,I just charge SGD110 only for going their house.

PIANOJAZZY

I will write you a separate email lateR.Where do you stay by the way...

May I know how you usually teach a child on sight reading?

Do you advice a kid to skip grade three to five if she has a high distinction in grade three?thanks

That will be great Joy
happy.gif

Normally sight reading starts from the first lesson. Like i will be focusing on notes and rhythm on the very first lesson. I will make sure they will be recognise the notes and count properly on middle C(ie first lesson) before i go on to the next note, which is D. This way the child develop good sight reading skills as they are trained to read notes from the very beginning. After that sight reading is not a problem so i do not do extra on sight reading. Which i have time to focus on other aspects like aural, theory and technique.
However, tranferred students always have problem in sight reading due to weak foundation, learn from the wrong method (ie listening or ex teachers writing numbers or alphabets on top of the notes) or lack of practise.
In this cases, i do sight reading from basic notes and reinforce counting by clapping the rhythm first etc. It depends on students and which grade they are in and the expectations of the parents - learning for leisure to strengthen foundation first or going on to the next exam etc.

Normally with a high distinction, it is possible to skip grade. However, it also depends on the student's commitment ie time to practise, music awareness of the student and the other skills like aural, sight reading and technique do comes into considerations.

I am staying at bedok

pianojazzy,
Do U wan to teach student in Tiong Bahru?cos my student relative wan to learn piano from me,but I stay in Woodlands,I just can go from Bishan to Jurong West.she is request for long time.

Is it really too young for a 3yr 3mth old to learn piano?
It has been tough to get a teacher to accept kids of such tender age.

Dear Joy, replied. I have been teaching for coming 12 years.

Rae_cheong, I have a few students age ranging 2.5 to 3.5 yr old now. They are doing very well. Though is slow in the beginning but they are coping very well. They can read notes, count and play some simple pieces already. However, i have to say, parental support is very very important and mummy will have to follow up everyday at home as they are still very young children at this age.

Yes i agree most teachers do not take in such young students as it is not easy to teach and really need lots of patience.

Hi Rae_cheong,

Pmed you. However will have to assess your girl if she is ready to start before i start making lesson plans for her
happy.gif

Hi Pianojazzy,

My girl knows some fingering on left hand CDEFG, right hand CBAG. She can play 2 pieces. Is she ready for individual?

Replied Joy.

Rae, you mean RH CDEFG and LH CBAG? Can she read the notes and count? She will be ready even though she does not know how to read notes yet. To assess is to see how long is her concentration span and can she take instructions as i guess she is able to read and understand alphabets right.

Hi Pianojazzy,
Do you happen to know anyone who teaches children to play violin?

Could anyone share your experience if you have gotten your children play this instrument?

Thanks!

HI, I'm a well qualified piano teacher, u may contact me for lessons. some of my info- Was a judge to the Zhong Sing International Piano Competition and Taiwan Bachstein Piano Competition. Hold a Masters in Piano Study from the Royal College, London and been teaching for 10 years already. Have vast teaching and performing experiences which includes piano departments in colleges/Pedagogy workshops, and recitals at many concert halls as well. Dedicated and patient, with teaching that emphasizes 0n 0ne's communication with his/her piano and the aesthetics of Sound. Teaching Diplomas and beyond with lessons conducted 0n Grand Pianos. For all other grades, children =) or house visits, pls contact for info. Call 81435869/[email protected]. Encore performance http://soundclick.com/share?songid=1459598

Hi, my daughter is 5+ and presently in the 2nd year of Yamaha JMC. She's progressing faster than her classmates so it is better that I switch to 1-to-1? I have a friend whose daughter doesn't like 1-to-1, does it mean that whether going private or not depends a lot on the child's attention span and temperatement? My girl's Yamaha teacher is charging $180 for private lessons, is it the market rate? I am also considering buying a piano, will a Yamaha U1 last till grade 8? What about the cheaper U1JPE, is it good enough?

Back