Oscar Test

MistyCloud

Hi,

I've been reading a lot of posting on Oscar test and found out that age is a determining factor in pulling down the results too.

I'm 35 this year and will be going for my Oscar test on 4 June 2014. Now, I'm wondering whether I should even go for it if the results is likely to come back unfavourable because of my age.

But I'm still unsure how this works. Can someone enlighten me? So, if I'm 35 this year, the results will likely to be unfavourable is it? Should I just skip the test and do other tests to determine DS? I'm also doing the scan on the same day with the sonographer to detect DS.

This is so confusing....

Don't worry about the age factor.
Both my mom and aunt gave birth after 35 yrs old too. My cousin and I are normal and healthy.

Look at people like Michelle Reis, Andy Lau's wife, Fann Wong.... They are all over 35 yrs old when conceiving... No problem at all!

But you should take the Oscar test. It's just some ultrasound scans, nothing painful nor scary. The result will let you know the likelihood of DS in the baby.

Hi, age is a factor, but they will also take into account ur blood test, babies' growth (length of limbs, nasal bone etc) and width of ffluid behind the neck (NT) and combine all factors to give u a probability of DS. Age is not the only factor, although if all other results are the same, the probability will be higher for a mummy over 35 yo than a 21yo mummy. If the combined probability is less than 1 in 300, the hospital will probably not trigger any further actions.

When I did my test for my twins in 2012, one of my twin's nasal bone could not be detected, so even with all other results being the same, twin 2 had a 1 in 56 chance of having DS while twin 1's probability was 1 in 2000+. I did my amnio test and fortunately both turned out well.

Back