Mummies in Shanghai

Hi ris_rye,

The number of ayis to employ and the type of work u want them to do is a personal choice. My current ayi did basically everything that a maid in singapore is doing. U just need to state your requirements when getting one from the agency.

Hi,

I wanted to employ one who can help in taking care of my son but worry that they can't be trusted. What if they run away with our baby? hehe....China is so big unlike Singapore.

Hi Rayb,

Your worries are not unfounded. It's the same situation as leaving baby at home alone with the maid. For my case, I do not leave my kids alone with the ayi for the initial period. Only after 1 or 2 mths when I feel comfortable enuff to trust her with the kids then I started leaving the kids with her but usually for short period of time and not too often. There are many working mummies(both local n expats) here whose kids are taken care of by the ayis, some of the ayis even send n fetch the kids back frm sch n bring the kids to the playground.

Have been wanting to find out if these are easily available in SH. If not, are there alternative reliable brands?

1. Formula milk, Gain or Enfagrow. I assume they're easily available but question is whether source is reliable? Shd I ship my own milk over?

2. Toiletries - Jergens, Cetaphil (cleanser and moisturiser), Sun block Avene SPF50+, diaper rash cream Egozite, Ruyi oil, ZA skincare

3. Pharmaceutical (without prescription needed) - hydrocortisone cream, children's panadol, cough mixture, Actifed, Wood's gripe water, Del Rosa syrup

4. REading - good selection of English children's books, public libraries, large book stores?

5. Child-friendly restaurants (with baby hi-chairs at least)?

Thanks a lot. The input will help me a great deal so I can do some planning & purchase before going over.

Hi Ris_rye,

Hv u do a prelim trip yet? You shld go check out mega grocery store such as Carrefour & Metro (this one needs a entrance card)

1. & 2 Got replacement pdts but nt the same brand.

3 I hv not found Wood's graipe water & De Rosa syrup then. The rest all hv, but it is labelled in Chinese. So you'll hv to learn the Chinese names of each. There are more effective medications that till now I'm still asking friend to buy & bring back from SHA.

4. Forgot abt publicly available children books in English. U hv to bring yourself, or borrow from sch (most international sch hv a large collection), exchange/borrow from friends there. But chinese books - no problem.

5 CHild friendly restaurant. You'll be surprised how child friendly they are as compared to SGP. I remember many times Restaurant Captain & waitress help me bring the kids to look at fish/decor so that I can hv 5-10 min peaceful meal. They always volunteer child-seat, give child spoon/plate, talk to your child (like a real person, whereas SGP restaurant staff just ignores and finds your kid irritating).

Hi Ris_rye,

I will be lugging all the formula milk from Singapore but i know quite a few mummies there are buying off the shelf. I was told the price is far more expensive since they are imported products.

Basically i am more KS so i will bring all the basic medication from here too...hehe...

Hello. Hope I can help here.

1. Formula milk, Gain or Enfagrow.
Formulation is basically the same as they are all from the same HQ. However, similar to what Coke does, each country is allowed to tweak the formula. In the instances where I did check, sugar levels are higher in the general brands found here. I realise that this is probably because the Chinese population likes sweeter food products (even yoghurt and milk have added sugar).

My DD is on NAN 2HA and yes, we bring our own. It is not that bad as you'll soon find many people who travel in and out of SG-SH and are very willing to help.

That being said, if you are not fussy, then can just purchase here. I will still recommend buying from large supermarkets like Carrefour though, to minimize fraud.

2. Toiletries - Jergens, Cetaphil (cleanser and moisturiser), Sun block Avene SPF50+, diaper rash cream Egozite, Ruyi oil, ZA skincare

I've only seen Avene here. I bring my own Cetaphil stuff. Diaper creams are Mustela brand, and yes to ZA skincare.

3. Pharmaceutical (without prescription needed) - hydrocortisone cream, children's panadol, cough mixture, Actifed, Wood's gripe water, Del Rosa syrup
Bring your own. You can get Panadol here but from Pines, a SG run supermarket. We normally visit the GP AND PD before we return home each trip to stock up.

4. REading - good selection of English children's books, public libraries, large book stores?

Chinese books are abundant and SUPER cheap. English books are harder to come by but not impossible. One reason I put my child at Julia Grabriel here in SH is also due to the reading culture and the awesome library it has.

5. Child-friendly restaurants (with baby hi-chairs at least)?
You'll soon find many child friendly restuarants and places to hang out. There's a big expat mom group in Shanghai, not just SGreans. And everyone is very helpful. Check out yahoo groups - called Shanghai Mama.

Don't worry, things will work out
happy.gif

Thanks a lot. The input will help me a great deal so I can do some planning & purchase before going over.

i certainly agree with kookcar on how more child friendly the restaurants in Shanghai can be. So far most of the restaurants i visited have at least the ikea high-chair. And they can help to distract your kid while you have a peaceful meal.

I seen Jergens before in BaBaiBan. Didn't managed to check out the price though.

As what furry says, bring your own medicine especially when it comes to kids.

Thanks mums, it's great!

Kook Car, I will be going for prelim trip mid June. Shd have a better feel by then.

Furry, thanks for the detailed help! Looks like English books are hard to come by. Does anybody order from Amazon?

Happy to hear about child-friendly restaurants in SH. My friend told me Shanghai is not child-friendly, on the streets ppl were shoving her and her kids, she was qite upset. But knowing their restaurants are child-friendly is a big plus.

Ris,
you'll soon learn to just start giving people nasty looks when they comment or shove. Since you are not working, I would recommend that you take advantage of off peak hours to run about and explore Shanghai with your child. No need for you to brave the crowds with the pushing/shoving/smelly bodies etc.

One thing though, locals tend to be very protective of their children. At gymboree and even at some other centers, local moms and their ayis are like hawks over their own kids and so I'm always on the guard. 2 ayis even tried to hit my DD when DD asked for a toy back that THEIR kids have snatched from my daughter. Good thing the teacher was vigilant to stop that local ayi, else my nanny would have gotten into a fight with that ayi.

Also, just be prepared for comments la. Whenever I discipline my child, my local ayi would be upset and try to "help" her. Even when we are out, if I let DD cry it out or continue with her tantrum, I woud get very KPO people looking and even coming to tell me why I let her cry. Another one is why I never dress my DD enough. I can be in sphg top and shorts but they expect my DD to be in long sleeve shirts and pants and hats! Its just a different culture and not to scare you, but to just be prepared for "well-meaning" people. Other people I know have had similar experiences, some moms are more tolerant and accepting, some, like me, don't really like people touching/fiddling/questioning my parenting styles.

There are local places to buy english books and I can show them to you when you arrive. It is just simpler in SG la...where such stuff is abundant. Some expat moms order from Amazon so that's another way to try it out
happy.gif

Drop a note if you are in town. Alwys nice to make more friends
happy.gif

Hi ris_rye,

1)Formula
Gain is available at major supermkts such as carrefour but it's named differently(Grow advance 4 n it comes only in 900g).Like all imported stuff, be prepared to pay a premium of 50% more then tat u pay in spore.

2)Toiletries
Eucerine is availabe at watsons though hv not seen cetaphil. For diaper cream, they've johnson&johnson's as well as drapolene. Hv not seen ruyi oil or vapor rub for infant(snuffle babes), so better to get it frm spore.

3)The more common cough/fever medication(at least the more reliable one other then the local brands) here are tylenol n robitussin. But it's still better to bring your own.

The people here are fascinated with kids especially when u have more then one. So like wat other mums mentioned, do be mentally prepared when people come over to talk, touch or play with your kids n offer suggestions. One thing to bear in mind though is that there isnt many places with baby changing facilities.

Ha ha ha ... now that furryfurry mentioned abt it. I recall the shoving. Well, after living there for over 8 yrs, I turn into a "shover" too ...

Changing diaper ... well, just hv to change in public lor. Luckily my kid din mind. :)

And really tons of KPO pple. I got 2 boys, I'm always asked how much I was being fined for having 2 kids.

You gotto lay the rules with your Ah-Yi in future in terms of kid discipline. She should walk away or go to next room when you do that. Otherwise kid will always go to her to seek hiding.

Order from Amazon - the problem is you dunno whether it'll appear. I've experienced that books were sent out fine, but never reach me.

Hahaha!!

Very interesting information. My single or DINK friends never told me all these... They only told me about the shoving and ppl talking loudly and spitting.

Will guard my children like a hawk!

Looks like i'd better bring my own milk powder coz 50% more is so much more! Am considering ordering 6 months' worth for starters.

Just curious, how about breastfeeding in SH? I wish I was still bfg (then dun hv to worry abt shipping milk powder)... but he self-weaned at 12 months. If baby changing facilities are rare in sH, I can only imagine nursing rooms are non-existent!

Hahaha!!

Very interesting information. My single or DINK friends never told me all these... They only told me about the shoving and ppl talking loudly and spitting.

Will guard my children like a hawk!

Looks like i'd better bring my own milk powder coz 50% more is so much more! Am considering ordering 6 months' worth for starters.

Just curious, how about breastfeeding in SH? I wish I was still bfg (then dun hv to worry abt shipping milk powder)... but he self-weaned at 12 months. If baby changing facilities are rare in sH, I can only imagine nursing rooms are non-existent!

Ha ha ha ... now that furryfurry mentioned abt it. I recall the shoving. Well, after living there for over 8 yrs, I turn into a "shover" too ...

Changing diaper ... well, just hv to change in public lor. Luckily my kid din mind. :)

And really tons of KPO pple. I got 2 boys, I'm always asked how much I was being fined for having 2 kids.

You gotto lay the rules with your Ah-Yi in future in terms of kid discipline. She should walk away or go to next room when you do that. Otherwise kid will always go to her to seek hiding.

Order from Amazon - the problem is you dunno whether it'll appear. I've experienced that books were sent out fine, but never reach me.

Breastfeeding room is non-existence becos you wouldn't need one. I hv seen many bf in public. Many woman bf kids till even 2 yr old, especially the wking class. Only the higher-income class will not bf, so tt breast will not be saggy (i think).

I bf my boys till 7-8 mth. Just take a long a shawl and cover yourself. Usually I'll go into a restaurant to do it, I remember some senior waittress insist I should be serve hot drink, not my order of chilled coke etc becos I'm bf.

Hi all,

Since Shanghai is very polluted? Did any of you buy air purifier? Is it avaliable in Shanghai or do i have to get it in Singapore?

<font color="0000ff">Hi Rayb</font>

Shanghai air is really very polluted, water also.

We only order Waterman brand, more expensive though. We use it for cooking, drinking, making soup, etc etc. DON'T use the tapwater to cook (even after boiling). Many local friend have kidney stone problem becos of drinking the tapwater.

Air purifier is available there, but as usual foreign brands are 50% more expensive. If your coy is providing shipping over, do get it here.

I came across an Air Ioniser recently, very sofisticated. It is made in SGP, but quality better than other Japanese & US brands I'm evaluating. Negative ion 20 million (so far the greatest I hv come across) and it has a button to select Ozone function. (Ozone is for disinfecting purpose, kills germs & can bubble into water to wash veggy).

I'm very tempted to get it as when I speak with the researcher doing it, he was telling me how it help reduce airborne particles & remove bacteria and improves air quality. And also improves pH of blood + metabolism + blood circulation + stablizer user's mood + improves attention span & keep mind clear.

But not cheap ... $1.5K leh !! And each item is so stringent tested b4 handing over to client, such that order now can only collect goods mid-end Jun. Should I or shouldn't?

Hello Kook Car

What brand is it? I saw several but couldnt make up my mind. I am interested to buy.

For Shanghai, is it common practice to get the landlord to pay the utilities, install heater, mosquito netting etc? Can this be negotiated?

Also heard that SH has mainly fresh water fish and not deep water. This is certainly cause for concernas (1) my baby only eats threadfin and (2) fresh water fish is much more polluted.

Any ideas?

Hi ris_rye,

The usual practise is the landlord will pay the maintenance fees while utilities are settled by the tenant. Any extra items u require can be discussed. All houses usually come with an aircon cum heater unless u feel tat the heating system is not powerful enuff n require extra heating devices.

Till now, I'm still not able to find any threadfin here. Not sure wat's the name in chinese(they dun call it here). Perhaps someone here can enlighten me? For me, I replace with either cod fish or salmon,which can be bought from the supermkt. The wet mkt mainly carry fresh water fish, for sea fish, have to specially inform the vendor to bring them over for you. And here, they dun sell fish by the various parts, u need to get the whole fish in most cases.

Thanks shmum! U mean they don't call it wu3 yu2?

My fren negotiated for the utilities to be paid by landlord. He says in china, anything is possible.

Any other mummies buy drinking water instead of boiling from tap? This is something new to me. I will try as far as possible to minimise my family's exposure to pollution. My hubby works in mfg and he told me lots of industrial waste gets dumped into rivers in china...

The other known 'chinese' name for threadfin, as i hear the cantonese elders call it, is ma yao fish. Will ask my granny to write it down for me and we can try asking the fishmongers there.

Hi ris_rye,

When I first arrived, I've given the fishmongers a few names(cant really remember the rest but one of them is ma(2) you(3)), he helped me to check with the supplier but the reply comes back negative. If u succeed in finding it, let me know ok.

U're rt, everything is possible here. U can try negotiating that with the landlord.

Some apts provide drinking water thru a separate tap in the hse, if yours doesnt come with it, then it's better to buy drinking water for cooking n consumption.

Hi Kook Car,

Could you advise the brand of the air purifier you are referring? If its made in Singapore and
much cheaper here, i might consider getting it. Btwn I wrote to Osim and they told me we are able to get their air purifier in Shanghai. Any commend on their air purifier? Does any one knows the shop location in Shanghai? The spec of the air purifier as per the website http://www.osim.com/SG/category/air_purifiers.aspx

<font color="0000ff">Rayb</font>

Brand name is NeuTreAir, I doubt it can be found on web as the bunch of operational pple hvnt get ard setting it up. After speaking to them, I find their technical aspect very solid, but they really need to polish up on their product marketing.

Osim products are availble in SHA, but expensive lor. My guess is it might be close to double the price as in SGP.

I'm doing product comparison, OSIM's air purifier biggest problem - need to replace filter. So depending on how often you on the machine & air quality, I suspect you'll hv to change it VERY often. So you'll hv to consider that cost too. I remember using a Philip one provided by landlord then. I have to change the filter every month, and I only switch it on abt 16 hrs/day. Thank goodness landlord pay for filter as well, cost like Rmb250 for a set of 2.

Also, OSIM alot of marketing wordings but website & shop salesperson can't provide the technical specification.

If you buy in SGP sure cheaper, you can lobang whoever going SHA to bring back for you. It can fit into luggage easily.

<font color="0000ff">Hi ris_rye, </font>
SHA got a few not-so-bony fish - "chang fish" (pompfret), "Gui4 fish"(same family as Kim Bak Law fish but taste better), "lu2 fish" (like our Kim-Bak-Law), "Huang2 fish" (our big yellow fish). Other rare species available but much much more expensive lor.

<font color="0000ff">Shmum</font>
Hv you try get a few fren together buy Salmon & codfish from the fish wholesale mkt? It is 50% cheaper than from Carrefour.

<font color="ff6000">Ris_rye & Rayb</font>

If you 2 are in SGP, we can meetup go see this Air ioniser + hv tea too. PM me & we can msm chat too.

Hi Kook_Car,

I have checked out the Osim air purifier at their road show over the weekend. Very tempted to buy cos its at special price now $498 (usual price $588). Did ask my sister to check out the same model in SH and they are selling at RMB 3306. They told me we have to change the filter once every year.

I didnt buy eventually cos
1) After discussing w hubby, we are worried we might not have enough baggage weight to bring over the air purifier. Do you think if i courier over we will be taxed?
2) Osim purifier only produce negative ions and mantainace is quite high cos have to change filter every year.
3) I saw another Sharp model which produce neg and pos Ion and mantaince for the filter is once every 5 years.

Will probably wait till we finish packing before deciding if we can get the air purifier from here.

Hi Kook_Car/Ris_rye,
Will be more than happy to meet for tea and see this air ioniser. My last day of work will be 30 May, thereafter I will idle for 1 whole month and get myself ready for the relocation. My msn is [email protected]. Please add me to your list and we can chat

Hi Kook_car

I normally get the salmon frm city supermkt cos find theirs fresher n without bones. The mkt one the color is pinkish instead of orangy , so didnt get frm the fishmonger after tat. When my kids were still young, I'll order the cod fish in larger qty frm the fishmonger. Now just get it occaccionally frm city n buy other fish like pomfret, silver line fish. didnt really like lu(2) yu(2) cos hv tat muddy aftertaste.

Hi Ray_b/ris_rye,

Do let me know when u r here in shanghai. We can then arrange to meet for tea :)

Rayb,

Pomfret would be quite a good choice, family likes it. Anyway, is kim bak law (jin mu lu) freshwater or deep sea? It has bit of muddy taste too, come to think of it.

Rayb and Kook Car,

Look forward to meeting up, how about 8 June? That's a Friday. Where can we see this ioniser?

SHmum,

I'll only be relocating in Aug/Sept and will certainly be in touch then!

Sorry to say, haven't got MSN messenger yet. Will get it set up soon. Can't find the icon on my bar leh... funny.

Hi Ris_Rye,

8 June tentatively is fine with me. Will PM you my contact no so we can arrange the timing.

SHmum,
Will contact you once i settle down in Shanghai. Be there on 1 Jul.

Mummies, I'm back with more questions...

1. Which international school for my 5+ year old?

I'm so surprised to find out that in China, he'll be attending Grade 1 (Pr 1) this coming Sept school term. He hasn't even turned 6 coz born in Dec. In Singapore, he'll join P1 in Jan 08.

Any school to recommend in the Puxi area? WE have a budget of US$1800 per month.

2. Which mover to use for relocating?

Any recommendation of a good reliable mover?

3. Buy computer / mobile phone here or in China?

Are the PCs in China cheap and good? My mobile phone is conking out soon, are the mobile phone deals in SH any good, or shd I buy here and bring over?

Thanks in advance.

Hi ris_rye,

You're back from your scouting trip in shanghai?

1)The school term here is frm Sep-Jun. Most schools will accept him in P1 this year so long as he pass the interview required by certain schools. My elder boy is also turning 6 in Oct this year n starting P1 in sept.

Any idea which part of Puxi u will be staying?

The school to choose will really depend on wat u r looking for.Some parents actually enrol their kids in local school as they find it a good way for them to be exposed to the chinese culture n to pick up the language. As for the int'l schools, there's the difference in curriculum like UK, american, IB or bilingual. It's really hard to make a recommendation unless u visited the sch, c the curriculum n speak with the teachers there yourself.

2)We used DHL the other time. You can also try crown worldwide.

3)The PC price here is comparable if not higher then in spore unless u looking at the lcoal brand. We have ours assembled here using all top notch parts n it cost us only ard S$1K. But not all shops will hv the english software, so for that u might need to bring over your own.

As for mobile, unless u r shanghainese, the rate quoted is much higher. I actually bought my hp in spore.

Hi Ris_eye,

(1) I din know till I went over to SHA that SGP has one of the strangest timing for sch term. All other countries ard the world starts sch in end Aug/Sep till May/Jun. So their age cut-off for each grade is different from ours.

(2) Thare are alot of movers ard. We used KC Dat when we returned. I tut your coy would hv take care of the moving part? Anyway, the process is - they come to view & assess how much items to move. Then they just come in and pack everything for you. Very fast & professional. they'lll pack according to each room. Even my box tissue was packed in !! When we landed, they'll do the unpack & put furnitures in place for you & the clothes hanged up, unless you prefer to unpack yourself so that you know where the things are.

(3) PC - even the booting up is in Chinese there. PC Prices are very reasonable there and PC doctors are easily available ard their SimLim Sq equivalent.

(4) I got mine in SHA then, that makes servicing easier when ph problem arise. Always rememebr, if electrical item is bought locally, you dun hv to worry abt servicing problem.

Ris_Rye,

Just note that we have some friends who has 4 kids here in the local education system. The eldest 2 finished the equalivalent of O levels and Pre U and wanted to go back to SG for their further education. Unfortunately their academic qualifications were rejected by all schools in SG and they had to frantically search for a Sec school that was willing to take them in to re-do O levels. Of course this is kinda far off for your 6 year old, but something to keep in mind.

Many schools fill up fast with waiting lists, so I would suggest ringing them up from Sg and speaking to the admin to see what the time frame you are looking at here, since school starts end Aug, Sept. My kid's pre-school class was full since March/April. Kinda amazing...

Mobile, try and ask if your husband's company would be able to assist you with the application and you pay the bill directly, else I believe non-Chinese can only get pre-paid cards which are a pain to constantly top up. Phones are cheaper here if u get the line subscription to go along with it.(same case as in SG I guess)

Thanks mums for all the info,

I'm only going for the scouting trip mid June. Now just doing some homework. I prefer a more rigorous bilingual syllabus, so that when we return to Sin my children won't get a shock. My fren recommended Yew chung, for its chinese emphasis. I was also thinking of seeing Shanghai High School Int'l div and Xiehe Bilingual Int'l div. Not so keen on American int'l sch, I'm afraid it'll be too 'relaxed' and when we return we'll hv problems with local schools.

Furry, your fren who sent her kids to local schools, are they truly local or are they local with international div?

Shmum, you bought and assembled the PC parts together? I must qualify that neither my hb nor I are experts in this area, we normally buy PCs off the rack... hv no idea how to piece one tog. how easy is it to assemble? Or dId you find someone to do for you?

Kook car, we're given a budget for moving, we gotta find our own movers. I guess I haven't mentioned it... my hb is going to be THE guy setting up the office in Sh. SO.... we're really on our own, no colleagues to guide us along anytime soon. We got a lot to find out I guess.

Furry, do you mean as long as companies are paying for the mobile phone it can be direct billing? Rates cheaper?

Hi ris_rye,

They have something like the equivalent of Sim Lim Square here. U just need to select the parts n casing n the people there will assemble it for u n they even provide after care services :)

If u prefer a rigorous bilingual syllabus with easier transition to spore system, I think nothing beats SSIS.Tat's the closest u can get to the spore system. The last I heard, Shanghai High school only accepts students frm p3 or 4 onwards. U might wanna call up and check. Like wat furry mention, the popular schools are filling up fast. For my son's case, we've already enrolled him in Apr.

Will u be registering your kid for P1 in Spore? If u do, probably u can check if the sch provides immersion programme whereby your kid can join during the summer holidays. In this way, he can familarise himself with the spore system as well.

Ris-Rye,

Check out www.shanghaiexpat.com for more info and help and networking. It would do your husband good to network with the SSBA (Singapore Biz Assco) here since he is alone. For yourself, I would strongly recommend the Shanghai mamas group. Having a strong network helps a lot even if its just giving you some reassurance that you are on the right track
happy.gif
Have you decided where you will be living? I guess that would impact wihch school etc as well.

Yes, if the company applies for the line, you can get it direct billed and yes, cheaper.

Even the SSIS here is pretty lax, but def. a bit more homework and projects from the rest. I think if you are a SAHM, you can consider doing a bit more home-schooling on your own to make up for the shortfalls. Personally, I would aim to get my child to return back to SG for PSLE.

We have friends at Yew Chung and SSIS, and both families still feedback that its quite relaxed. I guess they focus on other areas of development.

PC wise, no worries la, China is full of affordable talent...:p Can just get someone to fix up the computer for you or since your husband would need to get someone to set up his office network, just pay this guy a bit extra molah to get yours together.

Shmum

Which school is your son in currently?

I have emailed about 7 schools and will be visiting them this June trip.

Yes have already finished my volunteer hours and will be registering him for P1. how do I find out if the sch has immersion program?

Thanks Furry for the good tips.

The lastI checked I couldn't find the shanghai mamas forum on yahoo groups.

Am contemplating signing up for Sonlight home school curriculum to supplement. Also, heard that Dulwich is perhaps a good match for our needs, being british and all. Not sure how true that is.

Hi
There is a SGP Int'l Sch with 2 campus there. Fren's feedback was it is more lax than SGP sch. Xiehe is Concordia Int'l Sch. Not too bad too. Yew Chung is HK setup, very similiar British edu system as SGP.

Try not to pick a sch too far away, else kid will spent 1 hr on bus to sch & 1 hr back. Very tiring.

2 frens just returned, their kids was in SHA Int'l Sch sys for 5 yrs & 10yrs. both was admitted directly into NUS High Sch. Do rest assured that the education system there is all-rounded & solid.

Wat biz is your hubby in? It's going to be tough for him to setup shop alone. He'll plenty of your support.

Hi ris_rye,

My son will be going to Shanghai United Int'l(aka Xiehe bilingual sch). Concordia in chinese is xiehe guoji xue xiao with an american curriuclum, not sure which one u are looking at.

Did any of the schools reply u?I've ever tried emailing them but did not get any respond, so it's better to call them directly to check n arrange a visit.

For the immersion prg, u can call up the school to check.

i'm confused... do u mean xiehe (now SUIS) is Concordia?

I mean SUIS really.

Will be also visiting Concordia but thats Pudong side which is kinda far off.

Yup I emailed, then called those that did not reply. The SUIS and SHS Int'l seemed a lot less eager for my biz... :p I think SUIS told me they're full, so am left with Shanghai High Sch then.

Hi ris_rye,

SUIS n concordia are 2 different schools. SUIS is in Minhang. Just happen tat both hv the word xiehe.

Does Shanghai High have P1 level? if so, tat cld be a good choice. Another school in Hongqiao area will be SCIS.

U can narrow down your choices if u know where u will be staying, unless u wanna do it the other way round.

Concordia is a Christian school but in Pudong. Depends on which side of the river you intend to live taking into account travel times lor. Think calling is easier. I normally try to ring early in the day. Don't forget summer hols coming soon and it may even get harder to locate people.

Ris_rye, how long before hand you start volunteer hours har? Opposite question from yours LOL.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShanghaiMamas here's the yahoo group I told you about
happy.gif

hi mummies!
we will be moving to shanghai from sweden end of the mth. i will "transit" in sg for a mth with our 3YO while my hb starts his work 1st week of July.

i'm currently 17 weeks preggy and most likely will deliver in shanghai unless there's complication arise along with the pregnancy. have registered our 3YO with Yew Chung in Hong Qiao for their K3 full-day programme. have visited Yew Chung, Qiao Song Ling, SSIS n the British Int'l School during our look n see trip couple of weeks ago. SSIS n BIS is out cos of the travelling time. we'll be residing in Gubei district, one way school-bus journey to SSIS/BIS takes 1 hour. we feel its too long for a 3YO. anyway our dear son said YCIS is his favourite out of the 4, so we let him have keep his choice
happy.gif

furryfurry,
i'm also not able to locate the shanghai mama yahoo group. can advise how to go abt searching for it? Thanks!

Furry, I clocked 40 hours as a parent volunteer. I sent my application abt 1 year ago and they called me around Oct 06. Just finished.

We thought of staying at downtown puxi (really downtown) as hb's office is at huai hai zhong lu, but hv been worried by reports of bad pollution. My hb is now thinking of staying at less-polluted Pudong and he takes the train everyday to Puxi, tho many pp tell us this is a bad idea.

School... it depends... hb preferred to be near his workpl but we're not so sure now... kinda poor thing for a small kid to be travelling so much everyday. And the schools are really so far away...

Thanks for the tips on joining the biz association, we wd definitely need all the help we can get. Hb is in investment / pte equity biz.

What wd u mums suggest for my situation?

Vanessa, welcome, it's not easy to be pregnant and relocating, that's for sure! hope to meet u someday in SH

Vanessa, we actually emailed each other before
happy.gif
Keke...I'll leave you to figure out who I am LOL. SO where have you decided to stay? We'll be near each other kekeke.

Ris-Rye, cool. I guess I can only do volunteer work during my trips back so better start earlier? :p I will also suggest living near kiddo's school and the adults can do the travelling. The trains and buses are generally very very VERY crowded during peak hours (which is when we all head to work anyway) and I've tried that route before. It doesn't matter if you are fat, skinny, tall or short...I am a HUGE person but still kena squashed like mad. Not to mention theft and stuff.

What your husband can do is to hire a cab to come pick him up to and from work at a same time everyday. The extra "booking" fee is just RMB4. I do that now and just use the commute time to either read, catch up with work or just take deep breaths and enjoy "solitude". Its def. easier for the adult to do the 1 hour commute than for a small kid. Not to mention for yourself if you need to pop by school now and then - which you will find most schools encourage as they want to foster bonds between parents and child.

Have you seen the Gubei area? It is actually very family friendly with nice family-friendly restaurants, supermarkets catered for expats and family friendly compounds which many expats gravitate towards. It used to be a catchment area for Taiwanese and Japanese expats years ago but now you find a mix of nationalities. There are also quite a few schools are around here - one of which is Yew Chung which Vanessa mentioned.

Another area you can consider is the Jingan area, not too far from your husband's workplace and a few pre-schools too, just not as many full schools.

Anyway, don't be too super bogged down by where you live as you can always move once you find your feet here. We used to move every other year or so it seems until our current place where I am digging my heels in and refusing to move as its a lovely place for the family and near enough to the trains and the hospital that we use. :p

Pollution wise, I wouldn't get too hung up about it. Pudong/Puxi, the difference is not too much. In general, China IS polluted. What you can try to do is invest in a good air purifer at home for the family.

Hope my long winded posting helped. Do check out the Shanghai mamas group which probably has 99.9% of your questions answered as expats come and go all the time
happy.gif

Back