Mummies in Shanghai

Thanks Furry!

I am now awaiting approval into the shanghaimamas group... wow really stringent entry criterior must write 200 character intro why i wanna join!
happy.gif

Looks like the air purifier is a must. And the water RO filtration system too.

furryfurry,
i dropped u an email after we returned from the 1 week trip. u didnt get it?? hmm... i mentioned abt the school, apartment and hospital we visited.

anyway our apt contract will start 1 July in YLRS (if u know, otherwise i will try "catch" u at the shanghaimamas group
happy.gif
). hb will start to put some stuff in mid of June while he goes for his 1 week biz trip there.

i've also toured the U Family Hosp. i'm impressed! we decided to get a different experience to deliver in SHA since we decided to "close factory" after #2
happy.gif

ris_rye,
hope to meet up someday too
happy.gif

like furryfurry, u can try to visit the Gubei district. we chose there cos its conveniently located, not so far from hb's work, near our boy's school and easy for me to do marketing.

Wow, i didnt log on for few days and already so many post..hee..

Hi Vanessa,
I will be in Shanghai 1 Jul as well. Perhaps we can meet up someday too. Are you now in Singapore by the way? Will be meeting up with Kook_Car and Ris this Fri, will be free to join? If not we will catch up in Shanghai then
happy.gif

Ris, we can talk more about "filtration" water systems when you arrive.

Emmie, HUGE AH...long time never see you...when you arrive we meet up then you see la!

Van, oooo i must have missed your email!! Hey, we'll be neighbours then. We live in the same compound too. MUAHAHAHAHA...cool, the kids can play together then. U'll love UFH, did u look for MK? She's awesome. I'm hoping she'll renew her contract so that WHEN my time for no. 2 comes, she can assist me again.

Rayb, ahhhh...all meeting up in SG. Dun forget me hor
happy.gif
I'll be there in SPIRIT!!!

Furry.... can u share a bit abt filtration now coz i have more than half a mind to buy now and bring over!

I need a cost-effective one that doesnt need diamond filters every 2 months!!

And tomoro going to see the awesome ioniser / purifier.

dunno about you guys but i'm certainly new to all these gadgets... really need a crash course...~

Ris, Basically all filters will require frequent changes as they are natural growth beds for bacteria. (Particles get trapped in the filter, presence of oxygen and water = perfect breeding environment for bacteria and what not!)

I suggest you either invest in a home distillation system (which will still require regular maintainence in order to ensure good water quality) if you are absolutely particular or order distilled bottled water. Its not about costs, its about health.

Filtration does not get rid of bacteria nor does it get rid of soluable particles present in water that are still able to pass through the filter size. Remember primary school science? Heat water >> evaporation leaving behind solids or any impurities >> condessation upon cooling ? That's how pure water comes about. Filtered water is merely passing the water through filters with holes that are smaller sizes, impurities still remain, not to mention bacteria.

Distilled water is very affordable here in the big scheme of things. You can look for the Nestle or Watson brand if you are more particular. Please don't drink water from the tap here as it is hard water ... full of minerals that are insoluable and hence not absorbable into the body.One side effect of this is kidney stones (else doctors will not be advising kidney stone patients to drink distilled water).

I do know some people install filters to the taps for showering and washing veggies etc. but will order bottled water for their own consumption.

That's my piece. Talk too much as usual.

Emmie,yes, ok, see u in shanghai then! LOL .

Hi,
Found a unit in Jiang Ling Tian Xia but was discouraged by some people and my sister not to take up cos:-
1) Units there are very cold in winter
2) Alot of sewage problem
3) The air ventilations is bad
Any experience? Can share your thoughts?
Thanks

rayb,
i'll miss the meet up tis friday. i'm still in sweden. leaving for sg on the 28th Jun and will "transit" in sg for a mth b4 joining hb. so i will arrive SHA only end July. my hb will travel alone to SHA on 1st Jul as well... maybe same flight as u?
happy.gif

furryfurry,
really??? same compound??? tats nice! yar, the kids will be happy to play together.

i havent made an appt with the gynaes at UFH cos i tot no hurry, can wait till we moved over. the marketing manager gave us namecards of 2 recommended gynaes but i cant remember their names. will look out for MK when i find the cards :p

since we're on the topic of water filtration system, if i remember correctly our compound has a quite huge standing system at the service area right? do we need to change the filter from time to time? i presume with tat system its good enuff for shower and normal washing, except food n drinking yar?

furryfurry,
found the 2 namecards
happy.gif
they r RY Zhu (only speaks mandarin) and Ninni Ji (handles more foreign MTBs). heard about them?

still pending for the yahoo group approval... *sigh*

Van, I used MK as she is a midwife who's got loads of experience, esp. good if you are not wanting to have a drugged birth (We didn't want to have any drugs for ours so MK was able to assist with our wishes) She's very woman-friendly and as a midwife, has a different approach to pregger care than an OB does. ya la, no hurry. Dr Zhu was the attending doctor during R's birth but MK was the midwife with the key role for us - as per our request. Dr Ji wasn't there at that time
happy.gif

Yes, supposed to change the filter every month if possible. We don't use it at all, so I don't bother with it.

Rayb, we've moved probably 3-4 times in Shanghai and this is the ONLY one so far that is built well for winter. You'll have to check JLTX, I've also heard about the place
happy.gif
Quite a few expats there though.

One thing to note: Check heating (central heating though expensive is very awesome during winter!), check windows (double helps keep the cold out), check if they have heated floors or at least heated floors in the bathroom (life saver in winter!). I would suggest asking for feedback on JLTX at the Shanghaiexpat forum or the Shanghaimamas forum. Winters can be miserable. I remember previous apartments during winter we wear long johns to eat dinner and watch tv. Most times try to hide in the bed with the electric blanket. Guests who come to our place kept their winter coats on. Now our current place, winter can wear shorts and tee. LOL. A world of difference. So your sister is right to point that out to you for consideration. Does your budget permit an apartment at Yanlord at LJZ? maybe lower floor or smaller unit but at least winter not so miserable and the security is good as well as family friendly. Even has a kindy on site! I so admire that :p

Van, the lady who runs the Shanghaimama site voluntarily has a young child herself, probably well a bit slow to react
happy.gif

furryfurry,
ic... MK is the midwife who assisted you during the delivery. i will keep my eyes open when i have my 1st appt there
happy.gif
thanks for sharing your experience!

u mean can bypass the built-in filter system? hmm still very green with tat. we'll definately get the water dispenser for drinking n cooking, but i'm concerned abt shower n laundry as well. cos i heard if use unfiltered water for laundry, the whites will turned yellow??? sorry to start being loh soh. i'll check with the landlord re the system if u dun wish to answer.

no worries abt the delay in approving the group's registration. i'm juz thinking tat probably over there i may be able to find the related answers than keep bugging mummies here :p

now look forward to the move n meet up with the other mummies soon
happy.gif

Furry

Thanks, good info and reminder regarding aptm heating system. Not looking fwd to moving around at home clad like a penguin for sure!

Wd u say there's a simple (tho generalising) way to screen out these winter-unfriendly aptms? For example, aptms built by foreign developers (Keppel land, Li Ka Shing etc) are more winter friendly vs aptms built by local developers? Or aptms downtown vs aptms in suburbs? OR simply a case of "depends on what the landlord provides"?

Ris,
no big guideline as even the Keppeland development in Puxi and the Capitaland development in Puxi are not super quality. Yanlord developers so far are great with this. Li Ka Shing one depends on which proety you are talking about. I would go and "Study" the apartment lor, then ask expats for their feedback.

Van, the filter water comes through the smaller tap at the wash sink in the kitchen, the others no filter. No leh, we've not had experience with the "yellow" clothes yet :p

anyone keen to meet up again this fri?

kook car and i are going to meet again fri 3pm coz i need to get more info from her before i fly on sunday.

rayb, join us?

vanessa, interested?

furry, join us in spirit again?
happy.gif

ris_rye,
thanks for asking but i'll only leave Swe the last week of June. we probably can meet up only in SHA
happy.gif

Hi ladies, can be earlier 1.30 or 2pm if we are doing it downtown. If @ Tampines area, then 3pm no problem. After that I can pick up hubby & back to fetch kid from kindy.

I found another Int'l Sch called Dulwich College. It's British edu system. Ph 5899-9910 ext. 204. Address 222 Lan'an Lu (near Biyun Lu, Pudong Carrefour, Central Park area)

Something's wrong with my mobile. So if you cant call through, pls sms.

i checked... dulwich is already full....
sad.gif

it's like the school to die for... besides SAS. long waiting lists at both!

tampines great for me. how about ikea? rayb ok? i can pick u from mrt if u dun drive.

Hey no harm putting names down for waiting list. Even Chiltern House here has a long waiting list, enough to fill the class two times over at the N level, if you can believe it. Scary right ? LOL.

OK lor..wat to do, join you all in SPIRIT! :p

Hi Ris,

Ikea no problem for me but need your help to pick me from the MRT. So what time should i meet you at the MRT?

Rayb i'll sms u on the pick up place.

Furry, so yr kid attends BOTH Chiltern and julia gabriel? they're both operated by the same owner yes?

Jan is usually cold. In terms of amt of clothes to wear ... 3 layer of clothes required if go outdoor (innermost Long john, middle nice nice clothes, outter most when go out & be expose to cold layer cashmere jacket/feathered jacket), and sock/socking + boots + hat

When in doors, dending on our household - if you hv heated flooring + central heating, 1-2 layers.

I'm in SH right now. Tight schedule, but am trying to squeeze in shopping! Any nice places that I shd check out? Clothes, shoes, toys? Haven't got started, just finished viewing schools and today will do aptms. Thanks.

Dear mommies
Finally found the water filter coy number... I'll better post it here before I lost the number again.

Coy name: Hui-De-Pu (dunno wat's the English name). Contact person Miss Zhange @ 6420 8840.

Hope you guys are doing oki over there now ...

Hi mummies, will be going SH this 26. Can share how's the weather there? Need to wear thick clothing? Any place that I shld go for gd deals esp for my kiddy. Many thanks in advance

Hi Mummies,
Planning a trip to SH next month. I would like to know if anyone knows where
1)Ni Hong Kwang Chang - thinking of going there to get some babies clothing
2)Any good place for shopping? A must go if we have time?

Thanks

hi,

is 5 days enough to cover shanghai?what are the places to visit and shop?what are the must buy in shanghai?

Hi Goodbb,

If its just Shanghai alone yes 5 days is more than enough. When are you travelling? Its really hot now in Shg. There are a few standard shopping areas that people usually visit and they are places like:-

1)Chen Huang Miao or Yuyuan (where you can get really cheap wholesales stuff. its actually behind and the road name is called Fu you)
2)Shanghai Science Center where you can get all the "A" stuff (fake goods)
3) 7 Pu Lu (Wholesales for clothings - Adult and children)
4) NiHong (lots of bb and children clothing)
5)Hua Hai Lu & Jin An is like Orchard Road. Sellong more x stuff.

For site seeing perhaps you can go:-
1) Bund
2) Oriental Pearl Tower
3) Water Village like Zhuo Zhuang - 2hrs car ride out of Shg
4) If you are buddhist can go to Jade Temple if time permits.

Hope my above information helps.

hi rayb,

what are the stuff toys and books etc suitable to buy there?where to look for?i am going there end of the month

Hi hi, Welcome welcome.....When will you be here? Will you be staying at Pudong or Puxi? I have a 2 year old boy. Let's meet when you are here.
There is quite alot of Singaporean mummies here whom you can get to know and seek support while you are here so not to worry.

Hi Rayb,
thanks for replying
I dont think we can stay in Pudong. Heard from my husband we have to find housing around Gubei or Hongqiao due to his work locatin.
Do u have any recommendations for housing over there? I heard his colleagues said something about rats at home. Oh my gosh..do u have such experiences?
yar let`s do meet up..though i am excited about our relocation, i have many worries too about our new life and environment.

hihi...
almost 4got abt tis thread until a new post came by
happy.gif

hmm familiar nicks here, Rayb we've met b4 right?
miso, i'm staying in Gubei/HQ area
happy.gif
r u looking at apartments or villas? apartments i dun think will have pests problems other than the common mozzies - its everywhere during summer. there r quite a number of choices for apartments in Gubei/HQ. i suppose your agent will list out a few different compound n units for u to view? good to take note of the type of heating use cos its very impt during winter ;) like Rayb mentioned, quite alot of Sg mummies in shg, who likes to meet up for lunch, kopi or playdates from time to time. feel free to PM if u need more info
happy.gif

HI vanessa
i think we will be looking for apartments. Currently, asking how much budget we have for housing. I think I cant go to shanghai with my husband to search because its troublesome to bring a toddler along..on the other hand scared my husband will be cheated coz he cannot speak Mandarin.

btw what are mozzies? which apartment are u staying in currently? i heard central heating will be good though ex..just hope now that his company can give us a good budget for housing..

Hi Everyone!

Its so nice to know there are other SG mummies here in SH. I moved up here about 2 weeks ago with my 8-mth old baby girl. Registered for ShanghaiMamas but don't seem to see much activity from SG mummies.

Can anyone recommend a good PD in the Puxi area? I live in the Chang Ning district so I guess one around here would be the best. ShanghaiMamas recommends the American-Sino group. Has anyone tried them? Are they any good?

appreciate all feedback/advise/comment
thanks

miso have resend the email
happy.gif

tailwhack,
i'm also in CN district
happy.gif

my girl is under Dr Li at United Family since birth. her spoken english is limited. usually i speak mandarin with her, n english when i'm stuck with the terms. but so far we've no issues abt her. heard from ShanghaiMamas tat Dr Huang there is also good?

Hi Miso,
I have lots of worries before we moved over too, esp for my son (water, food and pollution etc) Now that we are here for more than 1.5 years, i think we are adapting well so far.
Never heard of rats issue but like Vanessa mentioned, its the mosquitoes that is the concern during summer. Try not to get low floor apartment and preferbly get them to do the mosquitoe net for the whole house.

Hi Vanessa, we met at Colors. I am Sock Hwee if you can remember
happy.gif

Hi Tailwhack,
Carina Kuan from Parkway Health(Worldlink)at Xintiandi is a great doctor. She is American Taiwanese.

Rayb, of cos i remember u. not only @ Colors, we met at Haiku n Sydney too!
happy.gif
I was hoping tat i got the right person here since cos u have a 2YO "Ray"
happy.gif

thanks for all that info - very useful.

i am really relieved to find this thread! Are you guys working, or taking care of the kids full time?

Miso - Gubei/HQ is a nice district. Its a bit like our very own Holland V, with lots of Japanese and Koreans.

Just want to know about the mozzies seeing this is my first SH summer with baby. We live on the 11th floor so will I still have the mozzie problem? My windows do not have netting!!!!!

tailwhack,
seriously mozzies here r "smart". they do travel to 32nd floor! perhaps shld say tat having the nets whole house is to minimise them, cos they do follow u into the hse when u open the door. sounds scary but tat was wat i went thru during my 1st summer. the last summer wasnt tat bad tho. probably cos not much rain thruout the year. there's no dengue issues juz tat the big red swollen bites looks very 'poisonous" on our little ones.
i'm a full-time mom with a 15 months shadow
happy.gif

thanks for all the info..
Currently we are living in Japan. No ants, no cockroaches or lizards, no pests at all...
sigh both me and my husband are terrified of cockroaches..maybe will give money to auntie to help us catch..haha

the 'best' thing i find about living in shanghai is that i don't have cocokroaches or ants at home!! No need to worry about leaving food out... Just need to worry about the dust... :p

as for mozzies...the ones here are really smart...they know how to take the lift. Best to buy lots of mosquito patches for your kiddoes. the red swollen bites really look bad.

wow emmie..u are the first person to tell me u dun have any pests at home. where are u staying ?
by the way i have done some research and is looking at these 2 places
1) mandarine city 2 phrase
2) yanlord riverside
any one stayed here b4?

sorry Vanassa, I didnt receive ur email..;(

i'm a full time mom too Van. I have a 8 mth old girl who seems to like it here - crossing my fingers.

Do you guys meet up for coffee or something? Dunno about playdates as my little one is still so little.

Would like to make some friends while I am here
happy.gif

so far i also havent seen or heard of ants n cockroaches at home
happy.gif

miso, i've re-send again. i'm staying in 1 of the compound u listed. thumbsup n no regrets
happy.gif

tailwhack, PM me, maybe we can meet up for coffee or lunch
happy.gif

Back