Mummies in Australia?

hi all, is it advisable to go in Nov/Dec for a holidays in Austrialia with a 1+ yr toddler? How's the weather? Any suggestion of where to go and what can we do?

hi Llynn,
Nov/Dec is a good time as it's summer...so u dun hv to lug around too many clothings for kiddie...though some places might be cool...
the weather depends on which state u wanna go...

if it's Queensland, the weather is just like Singapore if not hotter...as it's quite tropical there...

if it's sydney, the weather is nice...sometimes cooling..especially near the harbour..

not sure if u wanna come to Canberra, but it's very hot during Summer here...

I'm not sure about the other states...wait for other mummies to update...

llynn
depends on which part u r going. we went Melb early feb this year thinking that is summer. BUT BUT the weather is really drastic, it can just drop to 14 degrees! my boy was freezing. at least bring a fleece sweater.

Hi mngo

kids were then 3.5 and 2, at night (perth TV is super boring) when i want to take a break from caring for them, my husband takes over entertaining them, so i can bake, it was very theurapathic...to do something alone, without much disturbance. later on, i got my girl to also help me, sift flour and stir etc....

llynn, when summer hits, the sun can get scorching, so you gotta use loads of sunblock, and in perth there are flies! esp at the beaches. Once it gets hot the flies start multiplying. Also in Dec when its abt 2 weeks to Christmas, there are a lot of Christmas programmes for the community in the suburbs, like evening picnics, mini fun-fairs with pony rides, games etc, carolling in the park and try to visit the houses that put up deco, its really nice....

Hi Linda,

Nice to hear of ur experience. Any tots of migrating there? Sometimes I feel so much like moving there, cos really tired of life here.. everything so fast-paced & hectic, really stressful. Life in Perth is always so relaxing & comfortable. But then again, I guess the grass is always greener..
happy.gif

Hi Pinksands

Sorry for late reply...hvn't read this section for awhile. Yes, we do plan to migrate, but immediate concern is can we make a decent enough living there....jobs are not easy to come by, no family support like over here, kids really need to be well brought up over there - cos the exposure to drugs and sex is so much more apparent there. Crime rate is worse, ladies get molested or worse at 6:30pm at train stations, so there are downsides, which one does not see or hear abt when we are here, and until we live there for awhile.

Ya agree definitely not easy. Like wat I said, the grass is always greener & it always seems so easy thinking about it. In actual fact, it involves serious consideration especially when u already have kids & u need to think about their future & well-being cos environment & culture are totally different. Standard of living is higher too.

On the other hand, it's only a matter of adjusting urself & one shld be well-prepared for all these if u have made up ur mind to settle down in a foreign land. It's definitely gonna be a totally different lifestyle & u hv to learn to accept it no matter how long it takes. Wun be like SG anymore everywhere so safe also, haha. And in US, the security there is even worse. I guess u shld be aware too =)

In fact, I've seen many singaporeans leading a very happy life in Perth, so it really depends on wat u want & whether u're prepared to pursue it & take up the 'challenge', cos u'll never know if u dun try..
happy.gif

Hi ladies,
will be moving to Perth some time next year. So, hope to meet anyone who may be there now
happy.gif

Hi CJX,
I understand you met your husband in Perth too? So did I
happy.gif
And I was there during the same time you were there, and from the same uni too... my hubby is from ECU...

hi gingerale
happy.gif

How have you been? Hope all is well with you
happy.gif

Any mummies staying in Sydney? Me planning to move there next year ... hoping to make more friends before gng ...

Any 1 on the Gold Coast?

I lived in Qld for the last 12 years, and am thinking of moving back there.

But not too sure of the childcare cost and facilities in Oz...anyone care to share?

MTIA

hi, childcare in brisbane is not cheap n everything had gone up... but i m not sure of gold coast sry...

hi mummies in perth,
how's the childcare centers there? might be moving to perth end of this yr. wanna to know more abt their childcare facilities.

mspiggy
child care is expensive man! one day is abt 50-100AUD. for 1 month, it will cost us more than 1k.

mspiggy,

Are you from June 06 thread? You are moving to Perth too? I'm moving ard Mar or April.

According to my fren who is staying in Perth, his fren is paying 60AUD a day for childcare in sub-urban area. In the city, it can easily hit 100AUD like what mngo said.

hidora
u r moving in march! where will u be putting up?

i'm going in early march - for holiday and to chk out the place.

Hi Mspiggy,
i'll be moving over around June ... I just tendered my resignation two days' ago
happy.gif

Have to check on Child care... their subsidies are not much, and yes, can cost quite a bit. I think my hubby has gotten a place for our older boy -- and he sez it's about $800 for the month... sigh... but no choice... both of us will be working...

Hi Andrea,

I am moving to Perth in May. I will not be working.. full time housewife looking after my son. How old is your boy?

hi mummies, pls take note

Flights to and from Australia
New rules on what is permitted in cabin baggage will take effect from 31 March 2007. The regulations will affect customers flying to and from Australia. You are advised to pack your cabin baggage accordingly so as to avoid unnecessary inconvenience.

The rules cover:
all liquids including beverages, soups and syrups
gels, including hair and shower gels
pastes, including toothpastes
creams, lotions and oils
contents of aerosol cans, including sprays, shaving foam, deodorants
mascara
liquid-solid mixtures
any other item of similar consistency
Specific regulations:

all items mentioned above will only be allowed in cabin baggage if they are kept in containers with volumes of not more than 100 ml each.
These containers must be carried in a clear, re-sealable plastic bag. The total volume of the bag must not exceed 1 litre.
One person is allowed to carry only one such plastic bag.
The bag must be removed from cabin baggage and presented to security personnel at the checkpoint for separate x-ray screening.
Medications and special dietary requirements, including baby formula:

Are permitted in cabin baggage
may be subject to additional security checks

Duty-free purchases:

Passengers can still take on board items purchased after the screening point, including duty free.
Passengers may still carry on board the things they would normally take in carry-on baggage, such as cameras; personal music devices; books; and clothing.

Existing restrictions for carry-on baggage remain the same.

For more information on the regulations, click here.

mngo,

How long will you be staying in perth? Will you move there in future? I'll be staying at Mounts Bay.

andrea,

Hello!
happy.gif
Angel here.

800 for childcare is cheap! Do you have any idea where is the childcare?

It seems that lots of mummies are relocating this year.
happy.gif

We mummies shld have a gathering in perth when we got over.

Hi Andrea,

we are still looking around Joondaloop (hope i spell it correctly
happy.gif

How long will you be there? Where is ur childcare?

Hi mngo,

Thanks for your information.

Hi Hidora,

ARe you going to perth as well??

Hi rooster,

Yup, will be moving to perth. Hb already there working. We will be staying in the city as his office is there.

hi Hidora,
Yup... I'm here too
happy.gif
With regards to the Childcare... I think it's at Murdoch Uni. And yes, it'll be good to keep in touch when we are over there
happy.gif
Good to have some kind of a support group.

Hi Rooster,
Joondalup is a nice place
happy.gif
It's much more developed now.... We are hoping to find a place around South of the River... coz my husband works around there
happy.gif

We'll move and should be there by June. Hopefully this move is permanent... but it really depends on how well my boys (or I, mebbe) cope
happy.gif

When I brought my older boy for a holiday last June, he was terribly homesick, for some reason... it was quite heartbreaking seeing him that way.

So for now, I'll say two years... but we'll never know
happy.gif

Hi Hidora
I may not live in perth as melbourne is our choice.
This trip to Perth is to check out if the place is better, and do settle some official business.

I'll only be there for 8 days. do u guys wanna any thing for any information so i can help u find if i got time?

Andrea - south of the river is a good choice! and many asians stays there.

Hi Andrea,

Murdoch Uni ah? I've no idea where it is. My geography damn poor. :p Gotta ask my hb liao.

Hi mngo,

Then hopefully you will like perth!
happy.gif
We'll have one more kahki if you moved there. :p

hidora
i'd been to perth - 10 yrs ago for studies.
this trip - i m bringin my family there to look c. if we like it there, i want to live in perth!
then we - mommies can have kaki lor.

mngo,

Have fun in perth then. Hope it's an enjoyable stay for you. Hehe, then you will be smitten to live there. :p

sorry for the late reply! wow... so many mummies going to perth!
happy.gif

hidora,
yes am the one from jun thread. planning to go over this yr but again... job security is my biggest worries.

talked to those job agencies already.. all said no problem for me to find a job there. but my qns is must wait for how long?
sad.gif

mngo,
i studied in curtin and stayed in Bentley and Vic Park before. agreed that the area is not very safe.

Murdoch Uni areas are better... but prices also very high. I kinda of like Mt Pleasant or Applecross areas
happy.gif

Andrea,
you already gotten a job in perth?

Rooster,
Joonadulp is a nice place but a bit far from city.

Ladies,
you gals have already gotten the PR? mine is expiring soon... so it's now or never situation for me.

am thinking of extending my PR but I heard it's really tough. my boy is only 7++ mth now... cant bear to leave him in childcare. and i dont think i can afford to be SAHM

ms piggy
wat u ALSO studied in Curtin! Wahahaa........

Applecross is so damn expensive leh. think in worst case i will stay in peel region. wahahaha

i got my PR liaoz. but expiring in 2010

I think I'm the only one without a PR. Still waiting to my hb to get his docs done up so that I can apply spouse visa. But even with the visa, I will only get a TR (temp residency). Then wait for 2 yrs before can apply for PR.

mspiggy,

At least you can still consider working as an option. For me, I think really have to be SAHM. I think with my years of experience (very little), I may only get a pay slighter higher than grad. Then after paying for childcare, left with nothing liao.

Er, can I ask, why isn't anyone planning to stay in the city (if it's not becos of work location)? Is it becos you will be renting a whole house and city only has got apartment?
blush.gif

Hi Mngo,
I studied in Aus between 1996 and 1999. Were you there during this time too?
happy.gif

Hi MsPiggy,
I haven't found a job. Just sent some docs to my husband ytd, to register with the organisation.

I've also got my PR, but it'll be expiring in Oct this year... that's why must go soon
happy.gif

Andrea,
my PR expired the same time as you! hahahahaa that's why me desperate already!!!!! And baby along came this yr... thought I will bear to move and leave baby in infant care etc... but now cant bear to do it!

Am in perth from 1998 - 1999!
happy.gif

Mngo,
yeah knew Applecross expensive but it's a good location.

Hidora,
apartment is much more expensive than houses in AUS! so most pple will stay in suburb houses instead.

Andrea,
at least your hubby has secured a job... i'm feeling so insecured leaving without any income.
sad.gif

hi
happy.gif

where were you studying? I was at UWA and stayed on campus at Tommie More.

We were actually due to leave long ago, but kept delaying it, and at one time, I thought we might not leave at all. Then last year, No 2 arrived, and we felt that we have to make a decision. So hubby left even b4 our second one was two months old
sad.gif
He misses the boys terribly... and it's almost a year now... so, it's time WE moved
happy.gif
But yes, it's very unsettling... I don't like the idea of going without a job too... so now, I'm looking up ads every day and applying to them...

Hi Mspiggy,

Joonualup far from city? No choice... the place is nearer to my hubby workplace. My hubby is there now and still looking around for houses. The house there quite expensive leh.

Mummies, do you all look forward to Perth. Have you all ever think of wat to do over there. I mean those SAHM? I am worried?? Afraid that i can;t adapt well. How??

Hi Andrea
Oh, i was there 1996 . Andrea, since your one is
expiring this oct, does it mean tat for the next 2 years , u canot step out of australia unless u accumulate a total of 24 mths?

Is yr hubby oredi in perth? How did he get a job there?

Ms piggy
i left curtin, then u joined curtin! haaa
Actually - i also felt insecured leaving without any income. but guess we hv to c how it goes. i know of frens who easily find a job there.

Rooster
dun be afraid of not able to cope. cos Perth is like another singapore! The singapore community there is really huge!!!

Let me know if u need help cos i've got contacts there to help migrants settle down

Hi Mngo,
From what I understand... yes, won't be able to leave until I chalk up two years. but from the odds and ends, and considering that we'll be there from June, I think we just need another 1.5 years
happy.gif

My hubby has been in Perth since March last year. He quit his job in Singapore to look for one there. Managed to get one in just under three months.

rooster,

While I'm looking forward to go there, I'm also apprehensive abt the relocation. I'm worried I cant adapt too. Think just gotta take one step at a time.

Hi Mngo,
I've two boys -- one and three-and-a-half
happy.gif
Won't be buying a house yet, coz can't afford one yet, and there are still many changes taking place in the property market. So will rent for the time being
happy.gif

What about you?

morning mummies
happy.gif

andrea,
what is your hubby working as? he got a job as fast, that's very good! actually we are in kinda of same situation... been delaying the relocation.

i know that if you need to leave AUS for some reasons within that period, you can apply for some visa (forget the name) to temperary allow us to enter again as resident.

mngo,
when you plan to move over?

hidora/rooster,
dont worry... actually the aussies are mostly SAHM. guess you will be busy taking care of the kids, bringing them to sch, baking for them etc. it's much cheaper to cook your own meals compared to dining out. take kids out to park... life there is pretty relaxing.

Andrea
We will also rent first. house price escalate too much. is more expensive than melb

mspiggy
according to my hb , he plan to move - to Melb though... early next year.

Actually i dunno if i can make it as sahm or not.

hi mngo,
my SIL & family are in Melb. we thought of going melb also... but somehow feel more attached to perth. hubby and i didnt really like the pace and find it too 'crowded'

you intend to be SAHM? if you really move to melb, i can intro my SIL to you
happy.gif

mspiggy,

Is it call bridging visa?

Sigh, another thing is I dunno how to cope with bb alone. He's a tough one to handle, even to my mom who is experienced in baby sitting. I guess I have lots to learn.

Also, I do want to work. Just got my degree. You know lah, I was rushing like mad during my pregnancy and confinement. Then go there be SAHM, like so wasted.

And and, if we plan to get a house in future, it's gonna be hard to support based on 1 income.

Really got to see how it goes.
uhoh.gif

Hi Hidora,

I am just like you. My main concern is to take of my 16mths old son alone. He is very very active. He needs my attention all times. I am just worried that he will not be able to adapt well. Worried that he is lonely. When he is sick, afraid that i am not able to handle. How is the medical care there? I understand that we must make appointment... will not entertain walk in appointment... is that true?

For me, i will definetly be SAHM... i am not allow to work there... Sigh.... hope that everythings turn out well...

Back