MOMMY CLUB - Yr 2007 P1's (Yr2000 Millennium & Dragon Babies)

Hi Jess,
My kids are at SAP school, I think probably the science paper a bit difficult as I have gone through the paper and find the section B, most of questions are a bit tough. I have spoken to her science teacher, she told me even the top class has failure. The teacher advice me not to be harsh on my girl, must be patience with her and gives her lots of encouragement. So I have been doing that recently, give her a lot of encouragements.

My girl has very short concentration, 10 mins is the most she can concentration. I have been talking to her many times and she is the "bo-chap type", she would said to me, "fail, fail lor, I don't care". Sigh!

As advice by the teachers in the tuition centre, I got tutors for her as I am very busy with my work also, can't teach her full time. She has 1-to-1 tuition for English, Chinese and Maths except Science. That's why her CA2 Science scored very badly. Her schedule is very pack as she has also piano and swimming lesson and CCA. She has been complaining that she has no spare time to do her own things like playing computer games and watch tv etc.. I even sat down with her and talk to her nicely if she could improve from band 3 to band 2, or I see some improvement, then I would stop her some of the tutoring. She agreed but still no improvement for her CA2. Give me big big headache.

VQ,
I happened to be reading the forum. I have dropped you a PM too. Can you be so kind enough to share with some details of your gal's tutor. My email is at [email protected]

Thank you so much in advance!

KC

Cath,
probably u ask ur girl whether she likes piano, swimming n her CCA? If she LOVES them, fine! But if u force her into learning, she might be trying to act rebellious, to protest!

For me, i m a lazy mom. i asked my girl: u like ballet? u like piano/ violin? She replied: i love swimming. And there, i send her to sports school to learn swimming as we r near. the school's swimming r sheltered. she likes BEST is rain or shine also can go!

ur kids in SAP sch. WOW! u no need to tell me which sch, also i feel stress liao!! Heehee....

Hi Mommies/ Silent Readers,

My tutors become so popular suddenly! Abt 10 mommies PM me regarding their contacts.

I will pass u their contacts after i asked them cos some dont like. I hope u understand.

VQ,
My girl loves muisc stuff and arts. Even her CCA, she chose chinese orchestra, instrument she is playing is chinese flute. She loves to play piano, sometime she plays piano and her brother would sit next to her and sing. In fact, both of them loves playing piano. Therefore I bought a Yamaha piano after my girl pass her grade 1 exam with Disntintion. I even engaged a piano teacher to teach both of them at home.

My girl love swimming also, she is looking forward to her swimming lesson every sunday. She even requested to be at the swimming pool half an hour earlier so she can swim and play with her brother.

Last time she even had ballet lesson as she requested for it, I stopped it after 3 terms because the ballet fees was going up every term and she did not do well on her exam. I basically told her, she must drop one of non-school activities so she choice ballet as the progress for ballet is very very slow also.

My kids go to HIPS, this SAP school is not those top 10 schools. My girl never feels stress as she does not even care whether she's in SAP school or not. She is a "bo-chap" type, whereas my boy is "kiasu" type. 2 different characters.

Anyway, I am trying my best to get her a good math & science tutor and at the same time, trying to spend as much time as possible to teach her myself. Otherwise apart from tuition and piano lesson, she is watching tv most of the time.. she is still very free. Everyday when I go home after work, I would see her playing her piano, watching tv and playing games, no school homework, she doesn't even touch her studies until I tell her to do. She does not even feels stress at all. Wondering how come with all the schedule of tuitions, piano and swimming lesson, she is still so free.

I honestly am envious that your kids have CA2 to assess their progress.

At first, I was relieved that my kid doesn't have CAs, then this year, I was horrified at her SA1 results. I find that without CAs, I am laxed with my follow-up as I have this illusion that SAs are still very far away and my kid is very relaxed also. I'm worried how she will do at SA2.

If the school ever wants feedback on exams, I would say,"Bring back the CAs!"

Hi rains,
I thought only primary 1 & 2 do not have CA and SA. Anyway, although my boy is in P1, he still has to go through the test paper like my daughter so the school can access his result, he still brought home a report book in term 2 like my P4 girl.

Actually, I prefer my kids school no CA, honestly I think SA is enough.

Rains,
I also think that it is good to have CAs because CAs cover about 75% of SAs. So preparing for CAs helps to make sure the kids start preparing for SA earlier.

Cath,
ur girl loves her activities, there shouldn't be any problem. I think she's just lazy n in relaz mode. My girl is also like that!

Rains/ Jess,
Yes, i think its good to hv CAs. But with CAs, its like rushing like mad. Eg. they just completed CA2 n we receive the SA2 time-table liao!!! Worse is, we left abt 1mth to Paper1 n LC, n abt 2mths to Paper2. Wow! i myself hv no time to breathe!! Stress comes straight as they hv banding this yr!! Stress! Stress! Stress!

That's why I said I prefer no CA, My girl every year have both CA and SA, like what VQ said, no time to breath, CA just finished, timetable for SA is out, and need to start preparing for SA.

Cath,
But normally, CAs r more easier n relaxing cos no paper1,LC n oral. And can gain extra % to get higher marks.

Anyway, its STRESS!!!

For mommies who r interested in my tutors:

I had smsed them n waiting for their replies. Please be patient.

I myself, go thru web ads, go thru several sleepless nights, contacted more than 10persons to finally find my good tutors. So ur waiting is easier n better than mine!

And please be prepared to pay a max of $60 per hr for these tutors.

If u cant wait, i recommend u check out e web ads on sg88 for the time being.

VQ,
My girl school CA is the same as SA, has both paper 1 & 2. Has Oral too. I have spoken to my girl's form teacher about the banding mark. My girl will not do higher Chinese next year. To continue doing Higher Chinese in SAP school, the average mark must be 85% and above. Even if my girl work hard on it for SA2, she is still not able to get 85% as her score in CA1, SA1 and CA2 was too poor, only band 3.

Mommies,

My tutors replied liao! All welcome more students! So, Dont keep on PM me!!! Pls be reminded all will still depends on ur own children. If u find them no good. DONT BLAME ME!!! If u like them so much as i m, COMPLIMENT ME! OK! then i can go ask commission fm these tutors liao!

Eng Tutor
- Mrs Kong (9646-0700)

Chinese Tutor
- Ms Monica Xu (9114-6353)

Maths & Science Tutor
- Mr Basri (8180-7561)

I m so kind to help u all. Then who help me to find my Science tutor???? @#@#$%^&$%^&

VQ,
Thanks a lot. Managed to get hold of Mrs Kong and has arranged schedule with her. Mr Basri schedule is full. I will continue looking for Math and Science tutor.

Hi Mommies,

I had a hard time looking for a science tutor! Met a mommy of my girl's schoolmate today. She kept on complaining that her tutors sucks! This is not the first time she had complained n this is not the first time i had recommended her to try my tutors!

she said no! yours r too exp!! I was thinking if u cant part with ur $$ then stop complaining. u pay peanuts then u get monkeys!!

i m not saying that those not so exp tutors r no good! But it's hard to find those with reasonable price n good tutors! at least, at this moment i hv not find one!

KC,
Thanks for letting me know abt the Science tuition. I m looking for a Home Tutor instead.

Anyway, thanks. I had found a Science tutor for my girl!

Cath,
we might be "Wise Minds, Think Alike!"

Hi Rains,
I am for CA, but no to CA1 and CA2...presently son has CA1, SA1 and SA2, so I get to 'relax' a little during Term 3. However, I plan his SA2 revision time-table in Aug.

Hi VQ,

No problem! Hope the new Science Tuto for yr gal is good.

I just engaged Ms Xu to my son...she is rather professional and hope can help my boy. Btw, do you know whether she teach chinese compo as well? Forgot to ask her....

Forgot the maths tutor, he is very demanding...slot all full. have to be on waitlisting.

THanks again for yr sharing...

Hi mummies,

I spent the entire Sept hols running to 3 different clinics on 7 or 8 separate trips for my elder kid's asthma appointments, the two kids' stomach flus and their hand-foot-mouth.

They are much better now. The baby kept crying and refused to drink any water becos her throat hurt badly. Taking medicine was constantly a warfare and I was often the defeated one.

She's now back to her happy self - I am so relieved!

Rains,
Glad that your kids are feeling better now. Stomach flu is terrible and very contagious. Make sure they are probably hydrated. My nephew once got it while he was just about 1.5 years old and he refused to drink water as he kept vomiting. Then he got fits and was hospitalised. Very scary.

Rains,
Poor you! i understand "feeding" my younger DD medicine is a "NIGHTMARE" to me too!!!

Glad ur girls had recovered but u must hv enough rest too!

KC,
Yes! Ms Xu teach everything of Chinese. No harm asking her on compo if u want! Oh yes! Maths tutor is VERY busy! i can get him cos my DD is in PM session n tuition hv to takes place in the morning!

Rains,
That must have been so tough on you...asthma, stomach flu and HFMD. Stomach flu alone is tough enough, not to mention all 3.

Fortunately your kids are ok. My gal had HFMD and it was terrible as she refused to eat because it was painful swallowing.

Hi mummies,

True, HFMD is most terrible becos it affects the throat, and my baby refused to eat or drink anything becos of her throat. She kept putting her hand at her throat and kept crying. I felt so sorry but couldn't do anything. It was so bad that there was this day she only managed to down just one bottle of milk and two cookies. Her cheeks thinned down after the HFMD. The doc said that there are different strains to HFMD so they can get it again although they have recovered. Didn't know that it could be such a nightmare. Phew!

Jess,

The doc inserted a suppository into my baby's backside when her temperature surged to 39.7. I remembered what you mummies said about suppositories being no good and was hesitant about letting the doc do it, but he assured me that it was to prevent the baby from having fits from the high temperature.

Rains,
Doc did that once when daughter's temperature shot up...he knows my worries but told me it's necessary as baby will get fits if temp shoots higher.
My daughter ate ice cream the whole day for those few days when the ulcer in the throat hurt her. She couldn't eat porridge. I'm now even more paranoid about hygiene.

Janet,
Wah, ice-cream diet ah? I don't dare to let my baby have ice-cream altho her throat was painful. She was also having flu and runny nose at the same time.

Today is my kid's Chinese oral exam. Yesterday she went over to my mother's place and conked out on the bed since 4.30pm. She slept all the way to 5am this morning, so no time for me to practise with her. Her Chinese teacher had been doing oral practices with her and her classmates for remedial. Let's hope she ... er ... does well? *say a little prayer*

Mummies,
Both my P4 girl and P1 boy SA2 exam timetable are out. Oral starts 1st week of Oct, Paper 1 starts mid Oct and Paper II starts end Oct till 1st week of Nov.

Rain,
My girl chinese oral was last week before the timetable was given out this week. I did not even have a chance to let her practice. Anyway, hopefully she is doing ok.

Rains,
Oral exam already ? Wow ! So fast ? My son's oral will be on 4/5 Oct.

Yes, daughter took only ice cream during those few days when the ulcers were very painful esp in the throat...can't eat porridge bcos it's warm and painful swallowing. Ice cream is milk and cold, so it kinda numbs the pain.

Janet,

Ya, they have it early for Chinese oral. English will be Week 4.

My kid told me she heard that the oral examiner is a strict Chinese teacher who marks you down by one mark for each component - I'm relieved to hear that. In some schools, teachers are too forgiving or lenient in their marking which I think is no good for the kids. I like the fact the teachers are also having the big picture (PSLE) in mind. It's so stupid setting easy papers, or being lenient in marking just to jack up the percentage passes and quality passes to meet the yearly department targets when the kids are not there in reality.

Rains,
I've yet to revise oral with my son. I like teachers who are strict when marking bcos kids will know what to expect at P6...esp since orals are conducted by teachers from other schools.
Schools which set easy exam papers make kids over confident when they score 90+...what's the point ?
There are some schools which have easy exam papers but I don't print them for son to attempt bcos it makes no sense.

rains,
I made a mistake, my girl CL oral was on 20th Sept Monday. EL oral is on 4th Oct.

Any mummies using past exam papers to do revision with your kids. Is it useful.

Cath,
Me too! But usually cannot finish revising. I just give her some past year papers to try so that I know where she stands rather. But always quite disappointing.

Mummies,
Thanks for sharing.

For me, I use textbook for to do revision with her for science and chinese. Most of the time using assessment books bought from popular. But her tutors suggested to use past exam papers instead. So recently I gave her some exam papers to do, the result was very disappointing.

Haha, thanks, Cath, for giving me some comfort.

Actually, my kid's school calculated their T-score for SA1, and she's only about 200! I am inevitably worried.

rains,
My girl T-score for SA1 less than 200, that is why I don't mind paying extra $$$ to get a good tutor for her. Hopefully can see improvement in her SA2. But I don't expect much as I know I will be disappointed if I set my expectataion too high.

I use assessment book to revise Math/Eng/Chinese with son....will get him to do the SA2 practice after he has completed each chapter.
Have used past year exam paper as revision but found the results disappointing. So I only let him do a few past year exam papers as exposure to diff exam formats.

Mummies,

My gal brought home a piece of bad news for me: she didn't finish writing her chinese compo.

She said the classroom clock was spoilt and she didn't have a watch with her.

But I feel that part of the reason she didn't finish was also becos she's very slow in doing her work. Even at home, she can't finish her work when I time her.

Rains,
I'm not confident with son's compo either...more worried about the oral. Anyway, no point crying over it...over liao. Now focus on Paper 2.

Janet,
You've just pressed the 'explode' button. Becos my kid smsed me at 7.30am last Monday,"I got CL exam today."

I was so angry with her. I lambasted at her when I got home becos it's simply ridiculous to not know the exam date at all - to that extent!

Her exam timetable is given, but her Chinese exam is conducted at the same time with the GEP kids, so the Chinese exam date on her exam timetable is not applicable to her, and she did not tell me! The teacher wrote the dates (Oral, Paper 1, Paper 2) on the board and reminded the kids about their coming exam on Monday. But my kid simply couldn't be bothered!

I was so upset I emailed the teachers. I could not care if they decided to blackmark my kid anymore bcos it's beyond my threshold of tolerance already. To think I went out and bought 3 new assessment books for her Paper 2 exam preparation. She didn't touch them or other top schools papers at all! In other words, she didn't even prepare for her CL exam. Not one bit.

Hi Rains,
I can understand your frustration and stress to read that sms. My son just passed me the exam time-table and THAT'S IT !!! I asked him who is the one sitting for the exam and he answered me, 'me lor'....very bochap.
angry.gif

Honestly, if I do not paste the exam time-table on the notice board, my son couldn't be bothered either.

Rains,

I think it is best to focus on other papers now and wait for the results for Chinese. Maybe she can do well without much preparation. After all, language is not a subject that you can prepare and excel overnight.

Mummies,

I know that her Chinese results won't shoot up and become excellent overnight, but she was totally unprepared. Usually I get her to practise the unfamiliar words so that she could write most of them in the exam. Her paper has many open-ended questions so she needs to know how to write the words. But she didn't even practise them. I'm angry becos she went to a battle unprepared, without wearing her armour. I feel that it is very telling of her attitude towards studies and I get very upset just thinking about it. P4 already still having the heck-care attitude. She's a girl, not a boy. Usually the heck-care ones are boys becos they mature slower and don't really know how to think yet. But she's a girl and she has attitudes like a boy. Aiyo ... sometimes I feel that I am losing my grip.

Hi Rains,
Since there are other papers, the focus is on them esp English. As a mother, I can understand your frustrations.

Kids mature at different ages...not necessarily all boys mature later than girls nor vice versa. We still have to continue running the marathon with our kids, so I hope you don't lose heart and patience...of course easier said than done.

Rains,
I agree with Janet. Anybody can give up on our kids but not the parents. Maybe you can get someone whom she is closed with, to counsel her. I think she probably lacks motivation to do well.

Hi mummies,

No lah. I am not giving up on her. I am just exasperated by her lacklustre attitude when it comes to eating and studying.

When she was a baby, she didn't even suck the milk teat - she waited for the milk to drip into her mouth. When she grows up, she basically has the same wait-for-the-milk-to-drip-in-her-mouth attitude for eating and studying.

I was just explaining to her today that she's a bright girl (compared to her dull mother), and that's why I am exasperated easily by her sluggish attitude towards studying, more so than when I am with an average kid. She can be stretched, but her engine just dies down when I don't sit beside her, like now. She's supposed to complete a Science paper, and she's reading a storybook.

rains,
I can understand your frustration. My girl is aexactly like yours. However, like you, I will not give up on her. I have spoken to her and gave her an encouragement by telling her she is a smart girl as what all her tutors has told her also, I told her if she scores well, I will bring her to Universal Studio, she agreed and promised that she will study hard and try to score above 70.
Few days later, 2 days before her Math exam, I gave her a Math paper to do in her room as she has a study table in her room, but when I went to check on her an hour later, Gosh! she was on her bed sleeping with a storybook beside her, she must have been reading her storybook and fell asleep instead, and I went to check her Math paper, she did Section A only.

Back