Mid life crisis

inbetweenmum

Left a stressful job and forgoing promotion because I couldn’t take the stress. Current pay is mediocre but less stress. But feel like I’m going through mid life crisis and I don’t know what I’m doing with my life. 40yo, earning way lesser than peers. While peers are buying properties after one after another, I’m still in my HDB. Gradually excusing myself from all friends gathering because I feel like I can no longer fit in. I cannot join in conversations about which property to buy next, which bags they are buying on their next vacation. I feel so alone.

u r not alone. its reality. some people are well to do, some average, some low income. at least we are not at the lowest level.
contentment is the key. there's no need to compare since there's always someone better or higher level than us. we can only do our best n live our best.

Left a stressful job and forgoing promotion because I couldn’t take the stress. Current pay is mediocre but less stress. But feel like I’m going through mid life crisis and I don’t know what I’m doing with my life. 40yo, earning way lesser than peers. While peers are buying properties after one after another, I’m still in my HDB. Gradually excusing myself from all friends gathering because I feel like I can no longer fit in. I cannot join in conversations about which property to buy next, which bags they are buying on their next vacation. I feel so alone.

Hmm..... As the usual saying that goes, stop comparing yourself to the others. Easier said than done but try not to compare. If you feel you can't fit in already, then go find new circle of friends.

I am worse than you, old (late 40s) and lonely. Whenever go out lunch with colleagues, nothing to say, always the quiet one. But I just join in and listen and agree.

You don't have to cancel all your existing friends, just join in and listen and look interested in the topic, no need to really go buy properties or bag.

These are friends that I treasure and I have known them since uni. I don’t think they intentionally set out to haolian.. but my inferiority complex makes me very reluctant to meet them because every meeting just makes me feel that the difference btw us is even more glaring.
Thanks to everyone for replying. When there is no one to share this with in real life, at least hearing from all of you here makes me feel better.

Back