March 2018 Mummies

This is my first pregnancy so I'm kinda eager to go lol. But must make sure to know what I want to buy before going cos I heard from other people there's too many things, reach there already will blur blur one haha!

ya.. my #1 time i also v eager went to a few bb fairs too. usually i'll print the layout of the booths. mark down the deals i want. the vouchers quite useful if you buying big bb items. usually i aim to reach when the fair just open, lesser people easier to find and buy stuff. esp if u want to grab those good deals at special price. as more people come in the later part of the day, it gets very packed see liao tao gong gong very blur hhaha.. i like to shop and see when there's lesser people, own preference.. but also if you go on the 1st day of the fair means you likely have to take leave from work for working mummies to be..

same here...my whole body is stiff n i dont know if it is time for massage. some say 5mths onwards, some say cannot, doc say anytime is fine as long as dont rub the tummy. i end up just roll my back on tennis ball at the moment.
i woke up with a stiff neck today, guess i didnt slp well last night. can feel reflux today not very good, like sth in the gastric and throat area..

i woke up with a stiff neck today, guess i didnt slp well last night. can feel reflux today not very good, like sth in the gastric and throat area..

I haven't been sleeping well recently too. Been waking up with backaches though i tried sleeping on the side. Somehow i still can't find an ideal sleeping posture. Sometimes i wake up with a slight muscle ache on my calves which I dunno where it came from since I haven't been exercising or walking much.

Check out the organiser fb. They usually will release the offers brochure and store directory.
I printed and mark out the shops i wanna go.
1st time i went i brought all the big items, baby cot, stroller, bb carrier.
Its fun!

Thanks for the tip! Will def go checkout the fb page ehehehe Yea am aiming to buy all these esp strollers I feel can get quite exp!

ya.. my #1 time i also v eager went to a few bb fairs too. usually i'll print the layout of the booths. mark down the deals i want. the vouchers quite useful if you buying big bb items. usually i aim to reach when the fair just open, lesser people easier to find and buy stuff. esp if u want to grab those good deals at special price. as more people come in the later part of the day, it gets very packed see liao tao gong gong very blur hhaha.. i like to shop and see when there's lesser people, own preference.. but also if you go on the 1st day of the fair means you likely have to take leave from work for working mummies to be..

Thanks for the tip! I'm praying it won't be that crowded! I'm probably heading down on a weekday if I'm going Will def go do some homework and checkout e layout before heading down..!

I haven't been sleeping well recently too. Been waking up with backaches though i tried sleeping on the side. Somehow i still can't find an ideal sleeping posture. Sometimes i wake up with a slight muscle ache on my calves which I dunno where it came from since I haven't been exercising or walking much.

Tuck a pillow behind your back and another in between your legs?
Its hard to find a good position to sleep sometimes.

i realise i get tired very easily from 9pm onwards but i will get insomnia if i pass 11pm. haha I ended up sleeping at 2AM!!

I felt so tired for this pregnancy compared to my #1... so so tired even thou i am in 12 weeks

Tuck a pillow behind your back and another in between your legs?
Its hard to find a good position to sleep sometimes.

i realise i get tired very easily from 9pm onwards but i will get insomnia if i pass 11pm. haha I ended up sleeping at 2AM!!

I felt so tired for this pregnancy compared to my #1... so so tired even thou i am in 12 weeks
OMG! So far I have been sleeping like pig and only wake up once to pee every night. I am also at my 12 weeks this week and only problem is always feel very sleepy at 4-5pm and feel like napping!!

Anyway, is it too early to start buying baby stuff now? Alot of my mummy friends only start buying around 20+ week!

Have u all started looking for a confinement lady? When will be a good time to start looking? There are just too many reviews on this forum and I feel that most of them are advertising and not genuine reviews. I think a confinement lady would be a great help but i do not really like the idea of having a stranger at home. As a first time parent, i also feel that i may need all the help i can get

OMG! So far I have been sleeping like pig and only wake up once to pee every night. I am also at my 12 weeks this week and only problem is always feel very sleepy at 4-5pm and feel like napping!!

Anyway, is it too early to start buying baby stuff now? Alot of my mummy friends only start buying around 20+ week!

I start feeling sleepy from 7pm haha.
I will start after 20+ weeks also, now a bit early. Can research but i prob wouldn't buy unless i saw some great offers.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, i'm a new mum to be as well - 1st pregnancy EDD 21st march. would appreciate if anyone can also add me into the fb/whatsapp group? i've already booked a confinment lady since i was recommended to one which has been used by my sis & cousin.

Last edited:
Hello Mar mummies,

This is my first pregnancy and my edd is around 21 Mar. Any mums with the same edd date?

Any one going to TMC for your visits? Which doc are you seeing?

Would be happy to join you all in WhatsApp or fb group. ^_^

I'm seeing Dr Adelina Wong at TMC :)

Hello Mar mummies,

This is my first pregnancy and my edd is around 21 Mar. Any mums with the same edd date?

I'm with Dr Sim at TMC. No package, pay per consultation.

Have u all started looking for a confinement lady? When will be a good time to start looking? There are just too many reviews on this forum and I feel that most of them are advertising and not genuine reviews. I think a confinement lady would be a great help but i do not really like the idea of having a stranger at home. As a first time parent, i also feel that i may need all the help i can get

i'll be using back my prev confinement lady. usually they say it's better to find one earlier incase the good ones get snapped up fast. but if you are not comfortable with a stranger at home, u can consider ordering confinement food but better to make sure u have someone around to help you with baby. first time parents when you bring baby home you would be quite at a lost and feel overwhelmed with so much things to do. is good if someone can help and guide u along.

What's your take about using Yu Yee Oil for lower back massages?

when i feel very uncomfortable at my stomach area like feel bloated due to reflux, i'll put yu yee oil, tiger balm, axe oil, peppermint oil.. anything that i feel can make me feel better. but i dont put round the clock. i put moderately.

i also put tiger balm patch once. gynae say not everyday should be fine. but it's personal preference whether to use these oil/patches or not. see how comfortable you are but i feel don't use excessively for everything.

Yes yes, I am especially sensitive to smells now too! I used to love garlic but now I don't and in fact I get abit turned off if it's in the food.

Is your appetite getting better though as compared to first tri?
Actually ya my appetite is better I'm waiting for that magical day where I wake up and tadah the world is wonderful again and my nose is not super bionic lol sigh.

Actually ya my appetite is better I'm waiting for that magical day where I wake up and tadah the world is wonderful again and my nose is not super bionic lol sigh.
My nose is still sensitive at 18w and I get headaches from strong smells! Used to think once I hit 2nd tri at 14w, all will be well but... its not the case for everyone.

I m 15 weeks today and u know what, I sometimes forget that I'm pregnant. I don't feel so....bothered these days. The appetite is still haywire but I can eat more than 1st tri for sure. I won't say I wake up to a wonderful world again but it just feels like things are starting to normalize. However, still no no to garlic :D

I think your magical day will come soon.

I m 15 weeks today and u know what, I sometimes forget that I'm pregnant. I don't feel so....bothered these days. The appetite is still haywire but I can eat more than 1st tri for sure. I won't say I wake up to a wonderful world again but it just feels like things are starting to normalize. However, still no no to garlic :D

I think your magical day will come soon.

My nose is still sensitive at 18w and I get headaches from strong smells! Used to think once I hit 2nd tri at 14w, all will be well but... its not the case for everyone.

I have a dog nose now... i can pick up a lot of smells and i hate it..
finally reach 12 weeks and my long long awaited NUH first appt later today.... faint..

my appetite is still haywire but i can eat better during lunch. my evening nausea is still strong.

Reactions: nqt
Hi all, regarding confinement lady, I feel it's great that some you have booked already! I was very sure that I'm going to hire myself one but now I'm struggling to decide because my delivery date may fall during CNY period. I heard they'll charge cny rate till march.

For those of you who have secured yourselves one, are your paying cny rate? If it's too exp for me, I'll probably consider confinement catering and think of a solution of who's going to bathe baby etc.

I finally see the sub doc at NUH. Its really different. They didn't scan me just listen for bb hb.
Ask if i want to do Oscar or Igene ($800+) and i choose Oscar.

Went for the scan this morning, my bb NT is 1.59. sonographer say looks good. Active bb keep moving around during the scan.
Finally see my bb again since 5 weeks ago. hahhaa

Hi all, regarding confinement lady, I feel it's great that some you have booked already! I was very sure that I'm going to hire myself one but now I'm struggling to decide because my delivery date may fall during CNY period. I heard they'll charge cny rate till march.

For those of you who have secured yourselves one, are your paying cny rate? If it's too exp for me, I'll probably consider confinement catering and think of a solution of who's going to bathe baby etc.

Its a problem with start of year babies. I think some will raise their rates before CNY too.
If you doing it by yourself then your hub needs to be quite hands on. The challenge is night duties ba, i feel.
You might not be able to rest as much as you liked.

Alternative go for agency. Their CNY rate is still cheaper compared to freelance CL. :)

Its a problem with start of year babies. I think some will raise their rates before CNY too.
If you doing it by yourself then your hub needs to be quite hands on. The challenge is night duties ba, i feel.
You might not be able to rest as much as you liked.

Both of us are inexperienced so it's a major headache for us too. The rates are like scary. If it's gonna gonna cos like 6k / 7k den it's definitely a no for us. I can foresee us being very very shag lol

Both of us are inexperienced so it's a major headache for us too. The rates are like scary. If it's gonna gonna cos like 6k / 7k den it's definitely a no for us. I can foresee us being very very shag lol

Hopefully wouldn't be tt crazy. i think the highest i heard last time was 4-5k?

Hi All! I'm 14 weeks in and did my harmony test yesterday, which the results came back being they couldn't detect sufficient baby cells within my blood works. Anyone else encountered that?

I also not planning to get confinement lady as at the moment I could not really afford that high. I quit my job in February to take a break from work and was about to start looking for job but got pregnant. So thought of saving some money by not getting confinement lady but I heard like is going to be quite difficult if no one helps. Trying to see if my mother can help me a little here and there though if not I am also very worried as this is my first baby.

Anyway, I am at my 12.5weeks and went for a scan! It's a boy! He is happy to show his balls to the world already. So decided not to go for any Oscar or Harmony test as we dont feel there's a need!

Hi All! I'm 14 weeks in and did my harmony test yesterday, which the results came back being they couldn't detect sufficient baby cells within my blood works. Anyone else encountered that?

I think one mummy here did a redraw of the blood. Did your gynae ask you to resubmit the blood for a retest? It happens sometimes...though rare at 14 weeks. :)

I also not planning to get confinement lady as at the moment I could not really afford that high. I quit my job in February to take a break from work and was about to start looking for job but got pregnant. So thought of saving some money by not getting confinement lady but I heard like is going to be quite difficult if no one helps. Trying to see if my mother can help me a little here and there though if not I am also very worried as this is my first baby.

Anyway, I am at my 12.5weeks and went for a scan! It's a boy! He is happy to show his balls to the world already. So decided not to go for any Oscar or Harmony test as we dont feel there's a need!

The sonographer didn't want to scan my bb gender at 12.5 weeks.
Congrast to you!

Its good if your mom can help! new born can be quite daunting.. my #1 cry murder for 3 wks everyday whenever i bath her. she just hates it. *shiver* at the memory

Just to share my experience for #1 in 2015. I got a CL that my sister has engaged before and she was superb. I never stay in with stranger before so I didn't know what to expect also. My mom and mil both will be tired out so I did not consider asking them to help me do confinement.

I had an unexpected emergency c sec and the day she came, she started making red dates tea for me. Asked my hubby where are the required kitchen utensils and bottle sterilizer & laundry machine usage instructions.

Everyday for breakfast, I told her no need to cook as I dun have appetite to eat noodles or rice. I usually have oatmeal/cereal. She will bring baby downstairs for sunning in early mornings for jaundice. She will cook a full rice and three dishes for both lunch and dinner. I love her cooking.

Every 3 hours baby would cry for milk. I didn't even know how to properly carry baby to be honest, so I left it to her and watch how she bathe and feed the baby. Basics like how much warm/cool water should I use to make 60ml milk I also have to ask (not kidding). I learnt how she wiped down baby, put on diapers, wear romper for newborn, how to wipe genitals properly, care for the umbilical cord and BCG jab etc.

precious lessons like how to bathe baby were taught by her patiently to my hubby, coz I had a c sec and couldn't bend or sit on stool. Our mothers both said all babies cry and scream during shower time coz they hate it. Just quickly bathe and bring them out wipe dry can alrdy. But CL auntie was different. She told us baby love showers. We have to do it gently and the way they like it so they enjoy and won't cry. True enough my girl love shower and don't cry during shower if we follow her steps.

Looking back, I contemplated saving some money and dun want to book CL initially but I am really grateful I did it. It was really a life saver for me. I didn't realize there were so much I didn't know and thought mother instincts will kick in after I deliver. To be honest, this is half true. You will get by no matter with or without CL coz that's your precious baby, basic things like you pick her up when she cry, sayang her, feed her when she's hungry - every mummy will be able to do it. Tingkat confinement meals can also get you by. Just drink up loads and cook red dates tea yourself is not difficult.

Having CL helps me in sanity (I strongly recommend if you think u are prone to post natal blues), and I feel it's a pampered experience to have confinement auntie taking care of me and also baby.

The difference is initial days, hormones were all over the place and I feel quite fragile emotionally (not post natal blues) I focused on getting well, binding my flabby tummy, relieve horrid engorgement, eat and enjoy confinement food, sayang baby, etc. hubby ran all the errands and buy all confinement ingredients. End of the mth, I cried when CL left coz she took so good care of me and baby, she's like a loving grandma to us.

For 1st time mummies I recommend getting CL if financial allows. Next best option is to have parents agree to help you out. Family support works too. :)

The sonographer didn't want to scan my bb gender at 12.5 weeks.
Congrast to you!

Its good if your mom can help! new born can be quite daunting.. my #1 cry murder for 3 wks everyday whenever i bath her. she just hates it. *shiver* at the memory

Haha i am even worse...my #1 cry for milk I panic liao. No need cry murder. Thinking back I am so silly. Newborns really only cry for only that few reasons. I don't know why I was so scaredy cat also. Lol

Hi mummies , can you share your NT scan results, worried cos mine seems borderline high according to doc

I don't have the report yet, but i saw a few reading during the scan. they were between 1.35 to 1.77mm.
Has it been computed with the blood test?

Sometimes the reading must be off if the sonographer didn't take properly.

You going to seek a second opinion?

Just to share my experience for #1 in 2015. I got a CL that my sister has engaged before and she was superb. I never stay in with stranger before so I didn't know what to expect also. My mom and mil both will be tired out so I did not consider asking them to help me do confinement.

I had an unexpected emergency c sec and the day she came, she started making red dates tea for me. Asked my hubby where are the required kitchen utensils and bottle sterilizer & laundry machine usage instructions.

Everyday for breakfast, I told her no need to cook as I dun have appetite to eat noodles or rice. I usually have oatmeal/cereal. She will bring baby downstairs for sunning in early mornings for jaundice. She will cook a full rice and three dishes for both lunch and dinner. I love her cooking.

Every 3 hours baby would cry for milk. I didn't even know how to properly carry baby to be honest, so I left it to her and watch how she bathe and feed the baby. Basics like how much warm/cool water should I use to make 60ml milk I also have to ask (not kidding). I learnt how she wiped down baby, put on diapers, wear romper for newborn, how to wipe genitals properly, care for the umbilical cord and BCG jab etc.

precious lessons like how to bathe baby were taught by her patiently to my hubby, coz I had a c sec and couldn't bend or sit on stool. Our mothers both said all babies cry and scream during shower time coz they hate it. Just quickly bathe and bring them out wipe dry can alrdy. But CL auntie was different. She told us baby love showers. We have to do it gently and the way they like it so they enjoy and won't cry. True enough my girl love shower and don't cry during shower if we follow her steps.

Looking back, I contemplated saving some money and dun want to book CL initially but I am really grateful I did it. It was really a life saver for me. I didn't realize there were so much I didn't know and thought mother instincts will kick in after I deliver. To be honest, this is half true. You will get by no matter with or without CL coz that's your precious baby, basic things like you pick her up when she cry, sayang her, feed her when she's hungry - every mummy will be able to do it. Tingkat confinement meals can also get you by. Just drink up loads and cook red dates tea yourself is not difficult.

Having CL helps me in sanity (I strongly recommend if you think u are prone to post natal blues), and I feel it's a pampered experience to have confinement auntie taking care of me and also baby.

The difference is initial days, hormones were all over the place and I feel quite fragile emotionally (not post natal blues) I focused on getting well, binding my flabby tummy, relieve horrid engorgement, eat and enjoy confinement food, sayang baby, etc. hubby ran all the errands and buy all confinement ingredients. End of the mth, I cried when CL left coz she took so good care of me and baby, she's like a loving grandma to us.

For 1st time mummies I recommend getting CL if financial allows. Next best option is to have parents agree to help you out. Family support works too. :)

My mum is my confinement lady. I move back to her house for confinement.
She was really my best help!

I felt bad for that she has to sacrificed her sleep becoz my #1 has a hard time sleeping at night and we being first time parents couldn't pacify her at all. This round... my whole family including #1 is going to stay there becoz my #1 CC is below her house. haha i think i am more prepared this round. Should be able to handle the #2 on my own at night.

Haha i am even worse...my #1 cry for milk I panic liao. No need cry murder. Thinking back I am so silly. Newborns really only cry for only that few reasons. I don't know why I was so scaredy cat also. Lol

I cry at ANYTHING and EVERYTHING during my 2 months of being a mom.... She cry i also cry.

Hopefully wouldn't be tt crazy. i think the highest i heard last time was 4-5k?

I'm also not very sure about the rates for freelance. But yest my husband shared with me on this particular one that his dad found. I suggested agency to my FIL before but he was skeptical and went to ask around his friends. They recommended one "very good" one but charges X2 the rate for cny, so that will amount to about 5k already. Den she charges $80 for every time she goes marketing..!! plus I will be staying with in laws during confinement which is in a house, so she charges 200 for every storey she will have to climb. And on top of that, at least 2 angbaos min $88 each.

I told hubs no matter how good this Aunty is, I will not hire one lol. I called up 2 agencies just now and the rates are much better! I will have to discuss with hubbs tonight and make decision asap!!

Hi perhaps u can consider agency? They're charging about 2kplus 3k during non-cny period. If not den u can consider confinement catering to make things easier for you. My MIL is working and my mum will be taking care of my Nephew so not free to look after for me :( I'm still deciding whether to get one as this is also my first baby and have zero experience.. I never even carry new born before..!! Will have some calculations to do tonight.

Thanks for the info.. this makes me really wanna have a CL helping me! Hopefully baby will be out after cny period lol

I'm also not very sure about the rates for freelance. But yest my husband shared with me on this particular one that his dad found. I suggested agency to my FIL before but he was skeptical and went to ask around his friends. They recommended one "very good" one but charges X2 the rate for cny, so that will amount to about 5k already. Den she charges $80 for every time she goes marketing..!! plus I will be staying with in laws during confinement which is in a house, so she charges 200 for every storey she will have to climb. And on top of that, at least 2 angbaos min $88 each.

I told hubs no matter how good this Aunty is, I will not hire one lol. I called up 2 agencies just now and the rates are much better! I will have to discuss with hubbs tonight and make decision asap!!

OMG!!! every floor she has to climb! y 2 angbaos?
IMO, she sounds calculative. too experienced... if she is really good no words to say.. if not.. waa... the $$ spend.

Do check the reviews becoz some freelance aunties come from Malaysia to make easy bucks by saying they know how to do confinement then they destroy kitchens, shake leg and do nothing.. Of coz there are very good ones. I heard most pp have good reviews with some of the confinement ladies at PEM.

Wah seriously....the charges are ridiculous!
Standard freelance CL is $3k for March. X1.5 or X2 rate for CNY period or twins is normal. Angbaos when she arrive and before she leave is also normal, amount up to couple, usually $50 and up.

The rest of the charges....not normal....

Agency has good ones. Go to the agency FB and read for reviews. If you make special request for a certain auntie, you pay a few hundreds more I think. My fren engage one with good review at the very last minute coz the original freelance one she had engaged always fell asleep when carrying her baby and even told her it's normal, dun worry, baby will be okay one, won't drop to floor. (Lol really crap). So my fren went to PEM fb and found a review that highly recommended this auntie. So she called up the agency to ask for her, so lucky this auntie happen to be available coz just finished a confinement job. My stressed out fren was so relieved. That auntie is good with baby and is indeed v experienced in doing confinement for mummies and made very good soups for her daily and boost her milk supply.

Wah seriously....the charges are ridiculous!
Standard freelance CL is $3k for March. X1.5 or X2 rate for CNY period or twins is normal. Angbaos when she arrive and before she leave is also normal, amount up to couple, usually $50 and up.

The rest of the charges....not normal....

Agency has good ones. Go to the agency FB and read for reviews. If you make special request for a certain auntie, you pay a few hundreds more I think. My fren engage one with good review at the very last minute coz the original freelance one she had engaged always fell asleep when carrying her baby and even told her it's normal, dun worry, baby will be okay one, won't drop to floor. (Lol really crap). So my fren went to PEM fb and found a review that highly recommended this auntie. So she called up the agency to ask for her, so lucky this auntie happen to be available coz just finished a confinement job. My stressed out fren was so relieved. That auntie is good with baby and is indeed v experienced in doing confinement for mummies and made very good soups for her daily and boost her milk supply.

My friend kena a aunty who destroy her kitchen and just slack in the sofa watch tv.

Hi Sunflower & Happycsk,

I was really turned off when I heard about the super expensive additional charges..!! Freelance pricing kinda out for me.. Sunflower, 2 angbaos cos 1 to be given upon arrival and 1 to be given when ending confinement. But her min requirement is haha

I called up both confinement angels and Pem agency just now.. Pem is cheaper but stricter in certain aspects.. Do you ladies know if confinement angels is good as well? :)

Hi Sunflower & Happycsk,

I was really turned off when I heard about the super expensive additional charges..!! Freelance pricing kinda out for me.. Sunflower, 2 angbaos cos 1 to be given upon arrival and 1 to be given when ending confinement. But her min requirement is haha

I called up both confinement angels and Pem agency just now.. Pem is cheaper but stricter in certain aspects.. Do you ladies know if confinement angels is good as well? :)

Sorry...I have limited knowledge on confinement agencies.

I only have 1 fren who engaged from PEM and paid ard $2.8k in 2015 (coz she requested for that specific auntie, paid ard few hundreds more)
Can go check fb for reviews before deciding?
Is it Candyce Toh or Joanne Peh who got a CL from confinement Angels? Think shouldn't be too bad right since considered reputable also and have celebrity endorsement. good thing about agency is you can ask to change the CL if you cannot get along with the CL.

When is your EDD? Will be in Feb?

I think one mummy here did a redraw of the blood. Did your gynae ask you to resubmit the blood for a retest? It happens sometimes...though rare at 14 weeks. :)

Me! The clinic first took my blood when I just reached 10 weeks and I left for my trip. I thought I can receive the results 2 weeks later but they told me insufficient fetal serum detected in my blood so the test cannot be performed. I had my blood redrawn on 30 Aug and now still waiting for results. I was told it will take up to 14 working days so I am anxiously counting down.

Sorry...I have limited knowledge on confinement agencies.

I only have 1 fren who engaged from PEM and paid ard $2.8k in 2015 (coz she requested for that specific auntie, paid ard few hundreds more)
Can go check fb for reviews before deciding?
Is it Candyce Toh or Joanne Peh who got a CL from confinement Angels? Think shouldn't be too bad right since considered reputable also and have celebrity endorsement. good thing about agency is you can ask to change the CL if you cannot get along with the CL.

When is your EDD? Will be in Feb?

It is Joanne Peh hehe. Yea one great point is can change CL, like have some sort of support to fall back on! Actually my EDD is 4th Mar. but I'm not sure when I'll deliver exactly. If I deliver one to two weeks earlier den may hit cny rates.

I'm thinking another alternative is order tingkat and send my in law's helper for baby classes and ask her to help for a month and we will pay her more for that month.. decisions decisions..!!

Hello Mar mummies,

I am seeing Dr Ben Tham at TMC.
Going for Oscar scan next week. Any idea usually how long to get the result?
Did anyone take up Thalassaemia test?

Back