Low birth weight

Lovelyloves

Hi all, just saw my gynae for my 36 weeks check up and my baby’s weight is 2 weeks behind at 2.45kg so my gynae sent me for a obstetric ultrasound with full doppler on next monday. Is this normal? I can’t help but worry so much. :(

Hi. You only need to worry if there is growth restriction i.e. baby is falling off the growth curve, as this may mean blood flow is reduced or some other issue. If tests show there is no pathological cause for the lower weight, it is completely fine. Percentiles are not a ranking, some babies are just constitutionally small (i.e. healthy but always meant to be small). Just like adults, babies come in all shapes and sizes, don't fret too much about it unless there is an underlying medical problem.

Hi. You only need to worry if there is growth restriction i.e. baby is falling off the growth curve, as this may mean blood flow is reduced or some other issue. If tests show there is no pathological cause for the lower weight, it is completely fine. Percentiles are not a ranking, some babies are just constitutionally small (i.e. healthy but always meant to be small). Just like adults, babies come in all shapes and sizes, don't fret too much about it unless there is an underlying medical problem.
In the end, it is low amniotic fluid so I have to induce my baby at Week 37 :( i guess its better to have the baby out than to be in my tummy.

In the end, it is low amniotic fluid so I have to induce my baby at Week 37 :( i guess its better to have the baby out than to be in my tummy.
This really depends on
This really depends on whether you trust your provider has given you all the risks, benefits, and alternatives to ensure an informed decision. You can also seek another opinion from a more pro-natural gynae or clarify again. If there is no other medical condition, you may consider holding on at least until due date. (Do your research too, example: https://www.lamaze.org/Connecting-t...for-low-amniotic-fluid-in-a-healthy-pregnancy)

In the end, educate yourself and feel sure of whatever decision you take :)

Back