IVF-low ovarian reserve

Hi miracle,
I am very inspired by your story. I'm already 37 and I too have adeno. I went for my 1st ivf 2 yrs ago, but failed. Just done my 2nd ivf in July this yr. Very lucky, I'm 4.5 mths pregnant now. Due to adeno, gynae has given me hosp leave to rest at home until I deliver. Also very lucky, my company allows me to do that.

Actually I'm quite worried, cos the adeno will grow together with my baby and compete the space & nutrients at the same time. I really hope the baby is healthy and I can deliver successfully.

Dear All,

Have not posted for a while but am back again. Sad to say, I have just gotten news that I have failed my 2nd ivf
sad.gif

Now, at a loss.

babytigers - Am sorry for your experience too. Like you, I also took DHEA. Took it for about 3 mths. Short protocol this round. The result is even worse than the first round with no DHEA and tcm. Not sure where have gone wrong. Haizzzzzzzzzz. How are you doing? Have you decided what's next?

miracle - thanks for sharing your story. Hope we all have a wonderful ending like yours in our ivf journey. Did you have low ovarian reserve or were you just not responding to the medication? Actually, how to differentiate the 2? Dr SF Loh seemed to conclude that I have low ovarian reserve just by looking at the number of eggs and my age.

Jenn - Also thank you for sharing. Best wishes for your pregnancy! Why did you wait for 2 years for your 2nd ivf? Is Prof PC Wong encouraging? I am with KKH Dr SF Loh now. He is very busy and matter of fact kind. My mood was somehow affected when I had only 1 embryo for transfer this round and he said, next ivf, probab have to consider donor eggs.

Anyone could advise re donor eggs? Where to get? Think it's highly unlikely to be able to get friends to donate. My sister is also not below 35 years old.

Hi Dana,
Thanks for the well wishes.
I think those with low ovarian reserve do not respond well to the drug. NUH has this blood test on AMH, which is on ovarian reserve. I only have 1 embryo to transfer during my 2nd ivf, and I got a bfp
happy.gif
. I also took DHEA for about 9 mths and took almost 2 years to see tcm to tiao my body. I also forced myself to slim down, cos I read that people with bmi less than 25 have better chance in ivf. My bmi was about 27 then I slimmed down to 23.
I went to NUH cos I believe they have a more advance technology. And I'm happy with their service, but a bit ex though.

Why don't you try a natural cycle, i.e. no drugs, ovulate naturally with 1 egg and do a ER & ET. My friend did that, and she's already delivered with a baby boy. It is cheaper and it is better than using egg donor.

Hi Jenn,

Thanks for your reply! Wow, pregnant lady should be sleeping by then
happy.gif

This is the first time I heard about the AMH test. Will try and find out more & see if I can be tested.

If you don't mind, could you disclose the grade of the embryo you transferred in your 2nd ivf? Mine was grade 3 (kkh's grading; average) but didn't make it. If it's sensitive, just ignore the question
happy.gif

I have also heard of the natural ivf. Will check with my dr to see what he says.

As for tcm, was anything specific (drugs/accupuncture) to tackle the low ovarian reserve issue? I was seeing a tcm with eu yang san but she doesn't seem to be concerned with the issue.

You take good care and hope everything goes smooth for you & baby.

Appreciate your sharing!

Hi Dana,
I wasn't informed about the grade of my embryo. The hosp just said it's good quality, and I did my ET on the 4th day, cos 3rd day was a Sunday. I read from a website that the quality of the embryo is good if it can survive till 5th day. There is a clinic in Australia only do ET on the 5th day and they have very good results for ivf.

I don't think TCM can do anything about low ovarian reserve, but I believe they can help to improve the quality of the egg. They also have med to help in implantation. I did acupuncture before and after ER and I took the Chinese med during my 2ww, which suppose to help in the implantation. My TCM is Dr Zuo @ AMK, a lot of members here are also seeing her.

Btw, for natural ivf, you can do as many times as you want, cos there's no drugs involved. Of cos this depends on your budget too. I'm not sure can this use medisave and claim govt grant or not. Anyway, no harm trying.
happy.gif

Hi Jenn,

Looks like your embryo was above average
happy.gif

Actually, I did my 2nd ivf after abt 3 mths of tcm and acupuncture. Unfortunately, the result was worse than the 1st one. Hence, I am not sure whether tcm works for me. Nonetheless, there are too many variable factors which may impact. The first round was long cycle wheras the 2nd one was short cycle. I also took DHEA for the 2nd cycle. 1-2 mths before my 2nd attempt, I was also exhausted and stressed out from some matters at work.

My tcm was recommended by a fren. She went through 3 unsuccessful ivfs. After seeing the tcm for 3 mths, she tried her 4th attempt with marked difference in no of eggs harvested and she also succeeded. Delivering soon. Thus, I am not sure whether I should stick to this tcm, switch to another tcm (likely Dr Zuo) or stop tcm altogether.

Yes, natural ivf will be an option which I will discuss with Dr Loh.

Right now, the most important thing for me is to pick myself up and keep on trying. Feeling depressed and hopeless. Have been getting better. Thanks for your sharing!

Hi Dana,
I was told that DHEA will only take effect after you have consumed for 3-6 mths, similar to TCM. I feel that you are too eager... May be you need to give yourself a break of 6 mths before you start another cycle. Stress is also another big factor that hinder the pregnancy.

Don't feel depress. There is always hope. Dr Zuo said she has patients above 40 still can get pregnant thru ivf by only 1 embryo. You must stay positive.
happy.gif

Hi Babytiger. I, too quit my job to concentrate on tcc.... for 3 years already... still no news. I am now 38. Finally, hb and I decided on our last straw - IVF. I will be starting the stimulation tomorrow. I am excited but fearful too.

Hi Jenn,

I took DHEA from Jun to Sep 10, so already 4 mths. Probably you are right, perhaps I need more time.

Yes, I am also considering to give myself some time to rest before starting again. For me, the most important thing now is to pick myself up.

Thanks for your encouragement! I want to stay positive too. Will try HARD.

Btw, could I check with you re Dr Zuo? How often did you have to go and see her? Weekly or mthly? How frequent are the acupuncture sessions?

Thanks much and don't forget to rest well
happy.gif

Hi Dana,
I went to see Dr Zuo twice a week, acu front and back every time I see her. Also took her med every day.

I have also tried a few tcm before I went to Dr Zuo. You can consider...
happy.gif

Hi Jenn,

Wow, so you actually went to see Dr Zuo twice weekly.

I am planning to try Dr Zou since a lot of members in this forum went to see. However, the frequency is really high. I used to see a TCM in hougang weekly and I already found it stressful. Think twice weekly is going to be double the stress. I definitely have to consider carefully.

Thanks for the info!

Hi Dana,
No problem.
I know the stress, I have to travel 1 hr from my place to AMK on weekdays, luckily weekend my hubby will send me there. No pain no gain lor. Sometimes I also lazy, skip the weekday session. Anyway, you can still see her weekly if you cannot make it twice a week, Dr Zuo won't force you.

Hi sunstillshines

3 yrs wow..so financially you r still ok lah? i cannot go without a job for that long... how you do it, how you pass your time now..

Good luck to your stimulation.
which doc u seeing now ?

Hi Jenn,
I happened to search for more info on Elevated FSH and I saw this thread.
If you dont mind I ask, what is DHEA? Does this helps to lower the FSH and improve egg quality ?
Do you have natural IVF this time when you got preg?
I was diagnosed with elevated FSH of 18.5 and I went acu and later I saw on website to eat wheatgrass.After a couple of months of acu and wheatgrass, just last month my FSH dropped to 7.8. We previously had tried IUI, but failed. So we are considering IVF.
So did you get preg after your natural IVF?

Hi divachamp,

DHEA helps to lower FSH. Not sure does it help to improve egg quality.

I didn't do a natural ivf, my gynae wanted to try gonal-F again. But I'm not responsive to the drug, I got preg with 1 fertilised embyro.
happy.gif

Hi Jenn,

Thank you very much for your kind sharing and really inspired by your success story and congrats. Appreciate much.

I am new to IVF and know nothing much on this.
Coming to this thread to get support and come to learn more success stories to booast my confidence.
Really very sad on my condition....

take care and do let us know how it is going with your pregnancy.

Cheers and Happy Chinese New year, wishing everyone here all a blessed and prosperous rabbit year.

Hi divachamp,

Mind to share more about your condition? A lot of pple with high FSH still can get preg. Hv u checked your fallopian tubes?

I can understand how you feel. When I first started my ivf, I was reluctant and scared. Not only the costs of the treatment, also due to the fear of failure. But I told myself to try 3 times before I really give up. If I don't do it, I'll sure regret in future that why I didn't try harder when I can. This is my 2nd ivf. It's really not easy. But no pain no gain.
happy.gif

Happy CNY to everyone here!

Hi Jenn,
This condition came too sudden for me and doctor said I might have to consider donor egg.
I have a son of coming to 3 years this April. He was natural. After I stopped breastfeed, we tried on and off for the 2nd one and i use the OV kit so it should be accurate. But it seems funny to me that it took so long I am not preg. So I went to check with my gynae, he suggested I do a FSH test, so I went. It came back with surprising extremely high FSH. I repeat the test again and it went even higher. Doctor referred me to fertility doctor and he only advise is to use donor egg . I was devastated.
So I went another referral, done a HSG to see my tubes block, it was normal. Done a IUI, it didnt happened.
So I went online to check abt elevated FSH. They said eat wheatgrass, evening primerose oil, COQ, Omega Pro oil and do acu. I done all these.
My FSH really came down to normal range but I am still not preg.
The first fertility doc only want me to do SOIUI and dont even want me to consider IVF. He said my chance is too slim.
I am now seeking another doctor and he wants me to do a list of tests first before he can advice me on IVF.

I may be rejected if my tests are not as good.

I searched online about IVF and it brought me to this thread.

I am also scared about the medication side effect and doing injection myself? I dont know I can do it... I am scared too. My age is catching up( going to be 38 this yr) and dont have so many chance to try too plus extremely high cost here( I live overseas)
Haiz....

The mummies here and you really inspired me. You done so much, travel so far to get acu and even took much effort to reduce your BMI. Now your success story, determination and courage gives me hope.

Thanks once again for your sharing. Take good care, eat well and rest well.

Cheers and Happy CNY.

Hi divachamp,

I think you should at least try ivf one time, nobody can guarantee the result. If is unfavourable, at least you can tell yourself you've tried your best. Rather than wait until 40 yrs old and regret that you have not tried enough. If you are afraid of the side effects, then do the natural way. If I'm not wrong, SO-IUI also uses the same drug, I do not see why you should scared of ivf.

Don't worry and be happy. If you are too stressed, it'll also affect the chances of conceiving.

All the best!

Hi Jenn,
GONG XI FA CAI!
Thank you.

Yes, just went for my follicle count. Guess I have less than 6.
I am so devastated. Why and how come? Why everyone can have baby so easily.

We will be trying on IVF coming cycle.

I guess I am afraid it fails.

Well, will keep u posted.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Hi ladies, i was told i had v high FSH too, if i remember correctly it is like 13+. I was devastated too but pressed on with the Ivf procedures anyway. After the daily injection, i only had 3 follicles and 1 was empty so effectively just 2 eggs were retrieved. The 2 eggs went on to be successfully fertilised and both were implanted into me. Now almost 1.5 years later, i am a mummy of 2 beautiful twin girls. So pressed on ladies!!

VirgoAries,
YOu dont accept PM.

Ladies here,
If you dont mind, can you share the stim medications you took to become successful?

As I am in US, I am going to do my IVF next month.
Here , they let us choose the medications. So I am confused..

Do you all take FSH: Gonal F pen injections or Bravelle?
and what about HMG : Menopur or Repronex?

Can anyone here share what did your doc gave you to become successful?

Thank you all very much.

I found this site as I am going through the same issues. Never knew it could be so complicated. Thank you so much for the sharing and the inspirational and encouraging stories. I have renewed hope.

Hi everyone

would like to share my experience..

I did my 1st cycle of IVF May 2010 and though my FSH and LH were normal there was poor response to the stim after suppression. Later at egg retrieval we found that the egg quality was poor... my dr named it premature oocyte degeneration.. Naturally we failed IVF/ICSI and didn't even have any embryos to freeze...

After which my doctor started me on DHEA supposed to improved oocyte quality.. and I started my 2nd cycle on Christmas eve of 2011.. This time we collected less eggs but seemed quality was better and we had pretty good embryos..

Am now 22 weeks pregnant.. didn't have any embryos left over to freeze and actually started off with twins then lost 1 twin along the way ... but now seems stable and baby is well...

Just want to tell everyone to press on and don't give up!!

Hi Ferdina,

Thanks for sharing your success, it has given hope to people with low ovarian reserve like myself. My FSH and LH are normal too, but my AMH is low,indicating low ovarian reserve, and dr has suggested that getting donor egg is my best bet if my second IVF fails. I don't respond well to stims, only had 1 mature egg retrieved and fertilized during my 1st cycle, but sadly it doesn't stick.
Where can I get DHEA and for how long did you take it before you start your 2nd cycle? What is the dosage? Sorry for so many qsns, hope you can answer me. Thanks in advance.

Hi Pink,

Who is your dr? Mine is KKH Dr Loh.

The first time, I saw him. He mentioned adoption to me already. It was really demoralising. During ET, he looked at my only embryo and said I probably need to look for donor eggs.

I took DHEA for about 3 months before my ivf with Dr Loh, but it didn't seem to help me. It was my second ivf.

Although I failed that ivf eventually, I went to see a Chinese dr who prescribed me tcm to improve my egg quality. I conceived naturally but miscarried. Although it was not a complete miracle, I am continuing to try naturally. I hope I will be luckier next round
happy.gif

I am also thinking of starting royal jelly which is also supposed to help in egg quality.

DHEA needs to be precribed by a doctor. I am also going back to Dr Loh to get DHEA.

You jiayou too!

Hi Dana, thanks for your response. I was with Prof Wong at NUH for 1st IVF, now i'm on my second attempt with Prof Ng at O&G. He put me on mild stimulation IVF, will have my BT & US this Thu to see my response. Fingers crossed that I will have some follicles and can continue with the cycle.
Mind if I ask for both IVF you had 1 embryo transferred? How many follicles did you have prior to ER? I had 7 follicles before ER, but only 1 was mature and retrieved, so I was devastated the first time round.
I was seeing Dr Zou for my 1st attempt, now I'm not on TCM for 2nd try. Which TCM dr are you seeing? If this is not successful, I'll probably go the TCM route.
I will ask my Dr abt DHEA the next time I see him. I also read that royal jelly might help too, but probably too late for me to take it now.

Hi Dana,

I'm fine. Just gave birth to a baby girl, going back to work soon. During my last ivf, I took DHEA for almost 9 mths and acu for almost a yr... Though I only got 1 embro, but the quality was very good. I think you got to be perseverance...

All the best!
happy.gif

Hi Jenn,

Congrats to your bundle of joys.

Thanks for your sharing and your inspirations.

Wishing you all well for your whole family.

Hi divachamp,

Thanks for your well wishes.

How are you? Did you go for ivf? I may go for ivf again next year if I couldn't conceive naturally. I want to try for 2nd one.

Don't give up! Let's Jia You!

Hi Jenn,

Im fine thank you. How is your baby?

I am on acupuncture now to bring my body in harmony.
Hopefully I can get pregnant naturally soon.
Right now, I am on Royal jelly with bee pollen, coq10, prenatal pills and regular acupuncture, herbs and healthy diet recommended by acupuncturist.
My Fsh is normal now.

Wishing you try naturally successful.

May everyone here also get pregnant soon.

Cheers

Hi

I am diagnose with low ovarian reserve AMH=1.9 recently. My AMH was good at 21 before my lapascropy on the cyst. Is it possible to recover now? I am asked to be on DHEA.

Anyone here had successful IVF with low ovarian reserve?

mc_007,

I was also diagnose with very low ovarian reserve (AMH=1.5). My doctor (Prof Ng Soon Chye from Gleneagles) was uncertain if I'd be a good candidate for IVF. In June he put me on Clomid to see how my ovaries were responding. During a routine scan, 2 follicles (1 much bigger than the other) were visible only on the left ovary. He decided to proceed with IVF but on a low stimulation as he didn't want my ovaries to over stimulate.

I was prescribed progyluton, letrizole, growth hormone (injections) and Gonal F (150 iu). During a scan on D8 of cycle, doctor saw 3 follicles (1 being more dominant). He decided to schedule for an ER (egg/ooycte retrieval) 2 days later and ET (egg transfer) the following 2 days. Everything was moving really fast. Because of the low stimulation, I wasn't badly effected by side effects (only slight fatigue).

During my ER the doctor retrieved 3 oocytes but only 1 was fertilized (ICSI) and was transferred 2 days later (assisted hatching was performed).

I never seek any TCM or ate any special food before or during my IVF process. I believe in TCM but never pushed myself in going to one. However, during the 2ww (2 week wait) I did eat ripe pineapple core and walnuts. I read on the internet that the pineapple core contains the highest concentration of bromelain which is a proteolytic enzyme that breaks up proteins that inhibit embryo implantation. I divided the pineapple into 5 potions and consume 1 potion each day for 5 days beginning from the ET. Having said that, it has been mentioned that large doses of pineapple can cause uterine contractions and bring on spontaneous abortions (miscarriage). Consuming them too early can affect your vaginal and cervical mucus PH, making it more acidic.

Whether it's the pineapple, the expertise of the doctor, the embryologist or God, I am delighted to say that as of today I am 12 weeks pregnant.

I wish you all the very best. Don't give up as anything is possible. Sending lots of baby dust to you and everyone.

Hello ladies, not sure if the thread is still active. Anyway, i have got excess bottles of DHEA to let go. Interested, pl pm me. Thanks!

hello i am new here. just got news that i have low AMH = 1.89 30 this year and doctor suggested ivf soon. i am also devastated upon hearing this~ what should i do? does it mean it is very tough for me to conceive naturally?

hi littleredridinghood, my AMH is not fantastic either ard 11. My doc told me...low AMH ladies have better chance to conceive naturally rather than IVF. Because IVF is a number game. To stimulate as much eggs as possible. with low AMH...abit difficult for us to get stimulated. Need high dosage of drugs.

hi littleredridinghood, my AMH is not fantastic either ard 11. My doc told me...low AMH ladies have better chance to conceive naturally rather than IVF. Because IVF is a number game. To stimulate as much eggs as possible. with low AMH...abit difficult for us to get stimulated. Need high dosage of drugs.
How's things for you? Any luck so far?

Hi, just wondering how everyone's doing? I have low AMH, high FSH, respond poorly to stims and have 'empty follicle syndrome' during egg retrieval. Looking to form/get some support for sisters in similar situation.
Hi, how do we check for the levels of Amh and fsh? My dr didnt do these tests for me but he knows ive low ovarian reserves due to a myomectamy for my fibroids in 2009. Ive read in the papers that undergoing such invasive surgery will cause reserves to drop drastically.. Is there low/no hope that i can conceive naturally? I failed 1 cycle of ivf and had a mc on my 2nd cycle.. Feeling despair having to go thru another round of ivf..

@littleredridinghood, my first IVF was converted to IUI because too few mature follicles. Next two IVFs had a number of mature follicles (5-7), but only 2 eggs retrieved each time. Only 1 egg fertilised, but got arrested before transfer. Dr said I likely have low reserves and poor quality. How are you doing now?

@honeycombi, AMH and FSH can be done via blood test. FSH needs to be done on Day 3 of period. Understand how you feel. If I could comfort you alittle, one Dr I spoke with said as long as you have been pregnant before (even though mc), it means you can get pregnant and they are more positive generally.
Thanks for the encouragement, Dewy.. I hope the Dr refers to all women including us, ivf-ers. If ive no fertility issue, i'd probably be more optimistic.
My dr gave me the maximum dosage in my previous cycle n only retrieved 5 follilcles n only 2 were fertilised. I know many ladies out there had been thru more cycles and persevered all the way. I think i need to overcome my fears n worries..
@Mummy_elaine , sometimes its really demoralising to hear frm Drs that there's nothing they can do..
On one hand, i tell myself to persevere n give it one more shot, on the other, my hub n i are also preparing ourselves mentally that its fated that we'r not meant to be parents in this life.

To add on, before i started my 1st ivf cycle, i went thru 9mths of tcm (accup + chinese med) but it failed. I guess not everyone is suitable.
2nd cycle, we stopped tcm totally n didnt really do/eat anything, except for co-q10 and got a positive result.
Are there anything else we can do to improve reserves? Dr said i can try dhea. He hasnt prescibed to me yet as im still recovering from my m/c

I Had DHEA + Coq10 for a total of 3.5 years. And I can say, nope, it didn't help at all. Tried TCM, helped my womb lining I would say.

I asked a professor in TCM, dealing with infertility about low ovarian reserve. She told me " a woman is born with this amount of eggs. It's fixed. U cannot increase the amount. No western or Chinese medicine can do that. What they can do is, whatever eggs u have remaining, they try to improve the current quality. That can be done. But u can NEVER increase the number of eggs u have left."

Last edited:

I hear your stories I totally feel for you all. I've tried 2 times ivf with sgh all of them failed cause bad response to the injections, cannot retrieve many eggs thus chances are a lot lower. Before that I also did IUI also failed. Sgh also said nothing much they can do for me, at that time I was only just passed 31. Another doc at mt suggested us to consider donor eggs in BKK, we also went ahead to try! Managed to fertilized 3 eggs but ended up with an ectopic preg last oct. How devastating is that!

After that I've picked myself up in mar went to put in another 2 eggs but none of them want to stay with me. Totally demoralized and returned to Singapore. It's been a very bad roller coaster ride for me and hubby , We've decided to leave the last 2 eggs in bkk until im ready again. These ups and downs are not healthy for us, I'm holding on to a full time job and more or less it has affected my work to a certain extent. I remember the days that I am get calls from clinic to tell me about my failed ivf then the next moment got to run into a next meeting for a presentation - that feeling totally sucks :(

Thankfully my hubby has been very supportive. We are embarking on an adoption process while still on tcm hopefully one day will have a chance to go through pregnancy. Though we are still quite young but guess we are pretty much ready to be parents, hopefully this process will be smooth sailing!

Back