IVF/ICSI Support Group

I got brown spotting yesterday.. 17dp5dt.. its definitely too late for implantation bleeding. Hopefully nothing serious..
spotting is very common for IVF pregnancies. I would not take chances and head straight to O&G. the doctor would perform a vaginal scan and see if there is a heartbeat and perhaps give you a support jab (insist if they say no need)

spotting is very common for IVF pregnancies. I would not take chances and head straight to O&G. the doctor would perform a vaginal scan and see if there is a heartbeat and perhaps give you a support jab (insist if they say no need)
Hum.. the brownish spotting is similar to implantation bleeding. My first scan is only due in 10 days time, quite likely cant find heart beat yet? Based on IVF calculator, I am only 5 weeks 3 days pregnant.

I will monitor again to see if anymore spotting today. Have been using pantyliner everyday.

Hum.. the brownish spotting is similar to implantation bleeding. My first scan is only due in 10 days time, quite likely cant find heart beat yet? Based on IVF calculator, I am only 5 weeks 3 days pregnant.

I will monitor again to see if anymore spotting today. Have been using pantyliner everyday.
I know!! it was very stressful! i had spotting in my 4 pregnancies and tbh it freaked me out! I got spotting on week 5-6 as well as 15 in my recent pregnancy and i was praying everyday.

spotting is like watching horror movie. you never know when the ghost (spotting) suddenly appears LOL

I know!! it was very stressful! i had spotting in my 4 pregnancies and tbh it freaked me out! I got spotting on week 5-6 as well as 15 in my recent pregnancy and i was praying everyday.

spotting is like watching horror movie. you never know when the ghost (spotting) suddenly appears LOL
Yeah man. Praying each time going toilet not to discover any spotting. If its during the period of implantation bleeding, I would be more than happy. This is definitely not, as by right should have been implanted already.

I feel mild cramp and twinge before the spotting. It comes on and off during the day. The pain doesnt bother me much though. Thinking if I should call IVF hotline tomorrow morning.

Yeah man. Praying each time going toilet not to discover any spotting. If its during the period of implantation bleeding, I would be more than happy. This is definitely not, as by right should have been implanted already.

I feel mild cramp and twinge before the spotting. It comes on and off during the day. The pain doesnt bother me much though. Thinking if I should call IVF hotline tomorrow morning.
mild cramps and twinges are normal.

BUT cramps, backache and spotting/bleeding is not normal. have to head to O&G and yes, the wait is horrible.

mild cramps and twinges are normal.

BUT cramps, backache and spotting/bleeding is not normal. have to head to O&G and yes, the wait is horrible.
Thinking if tight pants may cause spotting also. I feel damn bloated and gassy these days, cant fart it out. My usual skirt and pants feel quite tight. Or carry laptop and stand too long also cause this. Today another dry dark brown spotting, happened around noon time.

Thinking if tight pants may cause spotting also. I feel damn bloated and gassy these days, cant fart it out. My usual skirt and pants feel quite tight. Or carry laptop and stand too long also cause this. Today another dry dark brown spotting, happened around noon time.
yup yup, dont stand and walk around too long, that's why if you can, bed rest or just sit down is quite important till it's more stabilized. dont carry heavy stuff too. all these can aggravate spotting. if spotting gets heavier or turns bright red. pls head to O&G.

Why i kept emphasizing is because when i was a noob here, i saw a lady having spotting and thought all was alright and didnt head to O&G for extra support etc and ended up in regret.

Hi All,

I am 42 years old, married for 16 years. Pregnant once after 1 year married and lost due to foetus no heartbeat. Try for few years still zero result. on 2010 went for check up, husband sperm count and mobility low. Never done any IUI or IVF even doctor suggest to done IVF.

42 years old too late for IVF?
Can someone share the procedure, how to injection? like insulin injection? trigger shot, ER?

Please help to sharing your journey.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am 42 years old, married for 16 years. Pregnant once after 1 year married and lost due to foetus no heartbeat. Try for few years still zero result. on 2010 went for check up, husband sperm count and mobility low. Never done any IUI or IVF even doctor suggest to done IVF.

Can someone share the procedure, how to injection? like insulin injection? trigger shot, ER?

Thank you.
Hey, yup, injection area is similar as insulin injection. Around tummy area, 2 fingers away from bellybutton. I think the type of injection/ dosage/ frequency are very much dependent on doctor plan for each individual case.

For 42yo, I would suggest not to delay your consultation anymore as this could be your last 1-2yrs to try. I started my journey in Nov22 and only went for my 1st IVF fresh cycle in Sep23, after 2x failed IUI with 1-2 months gap in between to rest my body from hormone pills + jabs. Many have to go thru multiple rounds of fresh cycles to extract our eggs, sperm collection, fertilisation (by embryologist) to 3days embryo or 5days blastocyst, and only transfer once our lining is ready for it. Not all our extracted eggs are usable and will be fertilised to form healthy embryos or blastocysts.

Once you have at least 1x 3days embryo or 5days blastocyst, doctor will arrange transfer day and 2weeks waiting time (hospitalisation leave) starts from here. At the end of 2 weeks, blood test will be arranged to check HCG level whether successfully pregnant. If unsuccessful, we can arrange for another embryo transfer (if frozen embryo available) or restart 2nd fresh cycle (if no frozen embryo available) to extract eggs etc.

Hope the above helps you to understand IVF journey abit better. I am currently at very early stage of pregnancy (1st fresh cycle) and will see doctor for scan sometime next week. A little nervous as I am having some brown spotting this week, slight cramps at times but no major pain.

yup yup, dont stand and walk around too long, that's why if you can, bed rest or just sit down is quite important till it's more stabilized. dont carry heavy stuff too. all these can aggravate spotting. if spotting gets heavier or turns bright red. pls head to O&G.

Why i kept emphasizing is because when i was a noob here, i saw a lady having spotting and thought all was alright and didnt head to O&G for extra support etc and ended up in regret.
Wah sianz. I am wearing pantyliner everyday, cant really see spotting, but after pee and wipe using tissue, saw pinkish blood on it :( i have already tried not to walk and stand too much at office. However walking for mrt/bus transport is unavoidable.

Wah sianz. I am wearing pantyliner everyday, cant really see spotting, but after pee and wipe using tissue, saw pinkish blood on it :( i have already tried not to walk and stand too much at office. However walking for mrt/bus transport is unavoidable.
super sians to see pinkish blood right!! I know!!! been there done that and i could lose sleep over it one and it didnt help with food aversion. i couldnt stand the smell and taste of garlic, onion LOL. then again, morning sickness is a way baby is telling you "mummy, i'm doing good here"

super sians to see pinkish blood right!! I know!!! been there done that and i could lose sleep over it one and it didnt help with food aversion. i couldnt stand the smell and taste of garlic, onion LOL. then again, morning sickness is a way baby is telling you "mummy, i'm doing good here"
Ya! I dun have morning sickness!! Or not yet. Haha. Though I rem my 1st pregnancy I had evening sickness after work. Hated bus rides, strong smell, eat YTF everyday. This 2nd one, nothing yet but only spotting. Aiyo.. my next scan appt is on Tuesday. Thinking if need to go O&G early, but my gutfeel tells me no. Haha.

Ya! I dun have morning sickness!! Or not yet. Haha. Though I rem my 1st pregnancy I had evening sickness after work. Hated bus rides, strong smell, eat YTF everyday. This 2nd one, nothing yet but only spotting. Aiyo.. my next scan appt is on Tuesday. Thinking if need to go O&G early, but my gutfeel tells me no. Haha.
i hated oily smoke, garlic, onion, steamed egg, minced meat back then! AIYO, i cant recall how i survived those days. dinner was non-existent. My diet back then consisted of fish soup for lunch. craved for dian xiao er roasted duck too LOL

Hey, yup, injection area is similar as insulin injection. Around tummy area, 2 fingers away from bellybutton. I think the type of injection/ dosage/ frequency are very much dependent on doctor plan for each individual case.

For 42yo, I would suggest not to delay your consultation anymore as this could be your last 1-2yrs to try. I started my journey in Nov22 and only went for my 1st IVF fresh cycle in Sep23, after 2x failed IUI with 1-2 months gap in between to rest my body from hormone pills + jabs. Many have to go thru multiple rounds of fresh cycles to extract our eggs, sperm collection, fertilisation (by embryologist) to 3days embryo or 5days blastocyst, and only transfer once our lining is ready for it. Not all our extracted eggs are usable and will be fertilised to form healthy embryos or blastocysts.

Once you have at least 1x 3days embryo or 5days blastocyst, doctor will arrange transfer day and 2weeks waiting time (hospitalisation leave) starts from here. At the end of 2 weeks, blood test will be arranged to check HCG level whether successfully pregnant. If unsuccessful, we can arrange for another embryo transfer (if frozen embryo available) or restart 2nd fresh cycle (if no frozen embryo available) to extract eggs etc.

Hope the above helps you to understand IVF journey abit better. I am currently at very early stage of pregnancy (1st fresh cycle) and will see doctor for scan sometime next week. A little nervous as I am having some brown spotting this week, slight cramps at times but no major pain.
The needles like those insulin type>

i hated oily smoke, garlic, onion, steamed egg, minced meat back then! AIYO, i cant recall how i survived those days. dinner was non-existent. My diet back then consisted of fish soup for lunch. craved for dian xiao er roasted duck too LOL
I got GDM started from my 2nd tri, cannot eat alot of foods and got to prick everyday before/after meal...!!! Lost weight quite alot and I looked sexier during pregnancy haha...

I got GDM started from my 2nd tri, cannot eat alot of foods and got to prick everyday before/after meal...!!! Lost weight quite alot and I looked sexier during pregnancy haha...
eh i tell you hor, I am those kind who still drinks bubble tea during pregnancy one, rice also never control after the 1st trimester and I am PROUD to announce that GD had never been my friend LOL LOL

hahahahah, ya ya, with the bigger boobs and radiant glow hor!

eh i tell you hor, I am those kind who still drinks bubble tea during pregnancy one, rice also never control after the 1st trimester and I am PROUD to announce that GD had never been my friend LOL LOL

hahahahah, ya ya, with the bigger boobs and radiant glow hor!
Woah u are damn lucky. No GD friend is the best! Haha, yeah radiant glow + my skin was soooo smooth without pimples.

However, I dont miss waking up at night to pee.

Hi, wished to know if anyone does Endo scratch or endometrial scratch before? Is it still common to do this nowadays?

Is it painful, how long take to heal?
Done in office or day surgery?
Implantation rates is it higher?
Govt hospital or private clinic?

I've Done 3 fresh IVF, 2 FET transfers, no fresh transfer caused risk for ohss, but still dun get pregnant. :confused: wonder need to transfer how many times to get the good embryo.

Hi, wished to know if anyone does Endo scratch or endometrial scratch before? Is it still common to do this nowadays?

I've Done 3 fresh IVF, 2 FET transfers, no fresh transfer caused risk for ohss, but still dun get pregnant. :confused: wonder need to transfer how many times to get the good embryo.
Age play a part for good embryo
Body condition too
Ivf is all about luck

Hello! I believe in endo scratch and for all pregnancies, I did endo scratch. Some doctors believe, some dont and will try to discourage you, saying that there is no scientific basis etc.

Not really a downtime; it's all done within 5 min, during the process, you might feel light pain but it can be solved by popping 2 panadols before hand.

It's done in the office.

I did it in KKH.

You might want to want to improve on your lining by eating more protein stuff and yes, you can try endo scratch; not very expensive and worth a shot.

Hello! I believe in endo scratch and for all pregnancies, I did endo scratch. Some doctors believe, some dont and will try to discourage you, saying that there is no scientific basis etc.

Not really a downtime; it's all done within 5 min, during the process, you might feel light pain but it can be solved by popping 2 panadols before hand.

It's done in the office.

I did it in KKH.

You might want to want to improve on your lining by eating more protein stuff and yes, you can try endo scratch; not very expensive and worth a shot.
Ok. Thanks @towkayneo , my doc suggest doing hysteroscopy+Endo scratch tgt but need to stay 1 night hospital. I wonder is he doing polypectomy as well, like if he sees polyp will remove on the spot. He not offering the cheaper way.

Protein food like chk essence, milk, soy milk? Is progynova already a thickening lining pill?
Can check if it's okay to take soy products during the whole FET, as I heard it's like a contraceptive?

Does anyone have dry throat or extra phlegm while taking progynova?

Hi, sad to say I fall in the group of 40s. Egg quality might really be the factor.

I find my body not adapting well to progynova. Was down with a flu even before the transfer.
Hi. Is this your first pregnancy? All the best ya! I only transferred 1x 5day blastocyst, no frozen embryo on my 1st fresh cycle.

Hi All,

Thank you.
Hi, @Nanja-Monja, don't consider too long, that's what my doc said to me when I am doing my 3rd IVF. I am also in 40s.
Best to start sooner as our egg qualities declines/drop rapidly as we ages.

Hi. Is this your first pregnancy? All the best ya! I only transferred 1x 5day blastocyst, no frozen embryo on my 1st fresh cycle.
Hi, @isenggirl , I have a failed FET cycle. Was not pregnant.

I had a medicated FET cycle. The progynova was the medications prepping before & after the FET (frozen embryo transfer).

Juz preparing for another upcoming FET as I still have frozen embryo.

Hi, @isenggirl , I have a failed FET cycle. Was not pregnant.

I had a medicated FET cycle. The progynova was the medications prepping before & after the FET (frozen embryo transfer).

Juz preparing for another upcoming FET as I still have frozen embryo.
Hmm nv heard this medication. I was given 8% crinone and dydrogesteron so far. Actually.. why didnt you do fresh transfer previously? Nobody advised me to go for frozen transfer, didnt even know it was an option. So my transfer was 5days after egg extraction.

Do u all know for IVF cycle gov subsidy whether our medisave will be automatically charged at subsidised rate by hospital?

Medisave can claim up to 15k per lifetime regardless Govt or private hospital . For fresh cycle is 1st cycle 6k , 2nd fresh cycle 5k, 3rd fresh cycle 4k . Don’t have subsidised rate at all

Medisave can claim up to 15k per lifetime regardless Govt or private hospital . For fresh cycle is 1st cycle 6k , 2nd fresh cycle 5k, 3rd fresh cycle 4k . Don’t have subsidised rate at all
Oh, I meant whether hospital will charge our medisave after minus off 75 per cent in co-funding from the Government (for Singaporean couple)?

Yes will, cos if using cofunding alone will not be enough to covered
Yeah definitely need to use medisave, its 75% max anyway. I just want to know if we need further actions to obtain gov co-funding, eg: write in to claim, etc or automaticaly granted as long as hospital noted 75% co-funding before starting IVF procedures.

Last edited:
Yeah I know definitely need to use medisave, its 75% max anyway. I just want to know if we need further actions to obtain gov co-funding, eg: write in to claim, etc or automaticaly granted as long as hospital noted 75% co-funding before starting IVF procedures.

No need, the nurse will submit everything for u
It is automatically granted
That why u need to sign all the necessary paperwork before u start the ivf cycle

No need, the nurse will submit everything for u
It is automatically granted
Okay great. Thanks! Its using my hubby medisave and he nv checked the amount. Each time the pharmacy gave me the price label indicated the full price, he/she reminded me to check and ensure our medisave charged correctly. It gives me the impression that.. sometimes hospital may have charged wrongly..

Hmm nv heard this medication. I was given 8% crinone and dydrogesteron so far. Actually.. why didnt you do fresh transfer previously? Nobody advised me to go for frozen transfer, didnt even know it was an option. So my transfer was 5days after egg extraction.
Hi, Congrats to you!
I think progynova is available for those doing "medicated FET cycle". Is an Estrogen used to thicken the uterine linings if I am not wrong.

I couldn't do fresh transfer caused of my high hormones level & also risk of OHSS, not suitable for fresh transfer hence they freeze my embryo and let my body rest for 2 or 3 menses cycle then start the FET.

The doctor will decide whether a fresh or frozen cycle is best for you.

Hi, Congrats to you!
I think progynova is available for those doing "medicated FET cycle". Is an Estrogen used to thicken the uterine linings if I am not wrong.

I couldn't do fresh transfer caused of my high hormones level & also risk of OHSS, not suitable for fresh transfer hence they freeze my embryo and let my body rest for 2 or 3 menses cycle then start the FET.

The doctor will decide whether a fresh or frozen cycle is best for you.
Oh.. thanks! Not yet gone thru my 1st scan, so still wondering and hoping that all okay.

Thanks for sharing medicated FET, I have a better idea now. When I did my egg extractions, I overheard a nurse advised a lady next to me, to wait for her menses to come and arrange for embryo transfer. Back then I didnt quite understand her instruction. From this forum, I learn there are many different IVF methods, prescribed for each of us. Lets keep our faith and baby dust for all of us!

Ok. Thanks @towkayneo , my doc suggest doing hysteroscopy+Endo scratch tgt but need to stay 1 night hospital. I wonder is he doing polypectomy as well, like if he sees polyp will remove on the spot. He not offering the cheaper way.

Protein food like chk essence, milk, soy milk? Is progynova already a thickening lining pill?
Can check if it's okay to take soy products during the whole FET, as I heard it's like a contraceptive?

Does anyone have dry throat or extra phlegm while taking progynova?
Yup, try to take more protein rich food for better egg quality.

for myself (disclaimer: not sure about in general), i took soy milk every now and then, it helps in the lining as well.

I dont think you get the extra phlegm & dry throat while taking progynova. most likely it's due to the haze now.

Ah.. just done FET, on 2ww now? I guess 9dp3dt is too early to test. Although I myself never tested during my 2ww. Jia you!
Yes, this is my first IVF and first FET…

I have my first baby naturally… never thought that wanting a second baby could difficult. especially when all the test came back normal. I’m truly blessed with my first child, but really hope that he can has a sibling to grow up with.

So sorry for the rant, really need a place to release my emotions now..

stay positive!
Argh, i called KKH IVF and they told me i am discharged from there and they dont monitor me anymore. However, they suggested me to monitor again today, if spotting got worse then go down O&G. IVF nurse said any spotting shouldnt be fresh blood. I had fresh blood spotting over the weekend and today. Gosh.. Each time i feel slight cramping, next moment go toilet found spotting. Keeping my finger crossed!

Will it better to culture the day 3 embryo to blastocyst than transfer? I still have 2 D3 embryo and doc mentioned if this round not work, she will culture to blastocyst.

Argh, i called KKH IVF and they told me i am discharged from there and they dont monitor me anymore. However, they suggested me to monitor again today, if spotting got worse then go down O&G. IVF nurse said any spotting shouldnt be fresh blood. I had fresh blood spotting over the weekend and today. Gosh.. Each time i feel slight cramping, next moment go toilet found spotting. Keeping my finger crossed!

Are you on any progesterone injection? I was with Dr Tan HH previously and have spotting issues but not fresh red blood before 1st scan. I went down and he said nth much he can do since is still early. I was already taking progesterone injection twice a week( I requested because I kiasu), duphaston 2 times a day (if I remember correctly) and progynova (he said can stop but I still continue as I still have leftovers). So he increased my duphaston to three times a day. Maybe you can try to request for progesterone injection to support the pregnancy. Jia you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum

Back