IVF/ICSI Support Group

The dr or nurses didn't explain to you?? It's always best to ask the specific Dr or clinic.

If I rem correctly when menses come need to call them. They will tell u when to go down for scan and blood test.

Once u started medication u can ignore the day of the cycle already cos the meds will be in control. The day of the cycle doesn't matter anymore
I just want to know in advanced so to arrange my work. Thanks

Can anyone help to walk me thru the process of medicated fet? Usually by which day of the cycle will be the transfer? And when do I need to go to clinic for the prep? Thanks
I’m with kkh
For KKH, if you haven't already been prescribed progynova, you call on day 1 of menses and go down for a scan to check the womb conditions and pick up your progynova. The nurse / doctor will let you know when to go next for scan. Med FET has fewer scans, depending on how fast your lining grows. Some ladies only need 1 or 2 scans after taking progynova. I don't think KK does blood test to test for progesterone and estrogen level though, unless the doctor thinks it's necessary.

For KKH, if you haven't already been prescribed progynova, you call on day 1 of menses and go down for a scan to check the womb conditions and pick up your progynova. The nurse / doctor will let you know when to go next for scan. Med FET has fewer scans, depending on how fast your lining grows. Some ladies only need 1 or 2 scans after taking progynova. I don't think KK does blood test to test for progesterone and estrogen level though, unless the doctor thinks it's necessary.
Thank you for the detailed explanation!

Hi BusyBeeEve, did they mention the specific thickness required? I thought 8mm is min requirement?

Yes min 8mm. By the way yes we are prescribed progynova. For me my dose is higher 4 tablets a day. My lining didn’t grow evenly. Some part is thicker than the other. If you have no problem with lining should be fine.

Hi all , mine first IVF cycle was abolished supposed to go for retrieval today but the only one follicle matured and cant be tracked from the ultrasound scan so disappointed and disheartening.
Dr switch to IUI instead for this cycle .
Anybody have similar experience ?( cos i was actually on a high dose of stimulation )

Yes min 8mm. By the way yes we are prescribed progynova. For me my dose is higher 4 tablets a day. My lining didn’t grow evenly. Some part is thicker than the other. If you have no problem with lining should be fine.
I see, thanks for the information! All the best for yr next FET! I am with kkh and I don't think they measure different parts so just wanted to know more.

May I check how many times did you transferred?
I had the similar issue. Our results from kkh and private were fine and the biggest challenge is unknown infertility.

Don’t be discouraged, it’s about getting the right embryo and timing. I have really lost count. Perhaps about 10-ish?

I think almost exhausted the govt subsidies is one of the major decision to move the private. Another one is the multiple failures with the doctor which causes me to lose hope on the Doc. Decided to go to Alpha hearing the new technologies it has. And also my fav doctor is there. At private, is quite diff like in KKH. Even the Ultrasounds are done by the doctor. And doctor can reduce or increase the dosage after the scan. Like mine, started off with higher dosage and switch to lower dosage midway. Rather than in KKH, u only get to see the doc at ER and ET. The dosages are also not really change midway. I don't know whether there is any communication btw the rotating reviewing doctors and our main doctor actually.
So decided to give private a chance. And surprising Dr Tan still rmb me from KKH...
Totally agree on the differentiation you mentioned between private and public. As I was pretty new to ivf initially, I didn’t really research much about it and I kinda regretted wasting my time trying again and again in KKH. Their standard protocol might work for most ppl but for unexplained infertility, we might need more attention and tlc with “customized” treatments. Same thoughts on the technology used for private clinics.

I have done my embryo transfer and now I am 5 weeks pregnant.Today I have dark brown black spotting..it came out very small bits and pieces when I pee and I have bad cramps on and off.Anyone have the same symptoms ?Is this a sign of miscarriage?

I have done my embryo transfer and now I am 5 weeks pregnant.Today I have dark brown black spotting..it came out very small bits and pieces when I pee and I have bad cramps on and off.Anyone have the same symptoms ?Is this a sign of miscarriage?
Dark brown black spotting can be common, but cramps wise I'm not sure. Best to call your clinic!

Hi harriet07, btw when u moved to Alpha did doc suggest any other tests to check why previous cycles failed, like hysteroscopy or do endoscratch in new cycle?
No he did not. I think it’s because we were going to try medicated FET first, which I’d not done before (previous was fresh transfer and natural FET).

It is common, when I preg, I did had all these discharge before, they told me is the old blood from Our period, and maybe also due to the implant which occurred. Have also cramp which caused me to admit to a&e, but scanned no issue. However each of our body behaves differently, so better to have a check in the hospital again.

Hi ladies,
I had miscarriage yesterday at week 10 from our first fresh transfer (grade c). Fetus stopped growing at week 6 and there was no heartbeat. Feeling extremely devastated since the journey to get here was not an easy one. Dr gave me meds to expel the fetus and that was the most extremely painful part of the IVF journey both physically and emotionally.

Really can’t wait to get back to the game. Meanwhile what should I do/ eat to help with recovery? Any supplements to take to prepare for the frozen transfer?

I’m left with only one grade c on ice. I’m worried that it won’t make the thaw. I’m so scared that history will repeat itself as well

sorry to hear about it :( i went thru that before and know what's it like. indeed IVF journey is both physically n emotionally exhausting and painful. Dont feel upset over it for too long as you arent alone. Many of us go thru that.

Be strong :) You might want to go TCM to check on what's best for you. TCM like Eu Ren Sang is quite food. Food after MC will be just like confinement food to help you recover. That's what I take previously. Dont worry too much and stay focus on recovery for now. One at a time, if you keep worrying and trauma over what happen now... you will not recover well and wont do any good for the next transfer.

I have nothing to transfer previously after MC. So be happy! You have one more chance! and grading of embryo doesnt mean anything at all a successful pregnancy! :)

thanks. It’s our first BFP and my first MC. How long did you wait to get your period back? Also I guess KKH will only allow us to do a frozen cycle after having 2 periods?

I am 5weeks 4days pregnant. I am bleeding quite alot again like period even given progesterone jab ytd.I need to jab everyday till Monday seeing the ivf doctor again which I still need to follow up.I am already on full medication. Progynova & Duphaston 3x daily and progesterone jab.I don't know what should I do now.Should I go for a consultation with a gynea or should I just wait and see.The bad cramp and bleeding really affected me mentally.

I am 5weeks 4days pregnant. I am bleeding quite alot again like period even given progesterone jab ytd.I need to jab everyday till Monday seeing the ivf doctor again which I still need to follow up.I am already on full medication. Progynova & Duphaston 3x daily and progesterone jab.I don't know what should I do now.Should I go for a consultation with a gynea or should I just wait and see.The bad cramp and bleeding really affected me mentally.
Did your IVF dr do scan already? at this stage probably can see a sac. Ordinary gynae likely also cannot Do anything more as you're on max support already

Try to walk less and bed rest more

Did your IVF dr do scan already? at this stage probably can see a sac. Ordinary gynae likely also cannot Do anything more as you're on max support already

Try to walk less and bed rest more
I did a scan the day before at Kk A&E .Baby looks fine with heatbeat.Ytd just started progesterone jab from my ivf doctor.Am worried too much bleeding will cause MC

I did a scan the day before at Kk A&E .Baby looks fine with heatbeat.Ytd just started progesterone jab from my ivf doctor.Am worried too much bleeding will cause MC
Did the dr at O&G share the cause of your bleeding?If you are worried, you might want to go down to KKH O&G again to have another check. Otherwise, continue your medication and bed rest until your appointment.

Just do bed rest since you are already on max support. I was like that previously too. With the jabs and oral medications, other than bed rest, the gynae can only scan. Since you have done the scan already, there is very little your gynae can do anyway. Yes the bleeding is worrying and it may lead to miscarriage, thats what both my gynae and ivf doctor told me. At the end of the day, just rest and pray. It is already beyond anyone’s control with all the medications given.

I see.. then I guess u just stay home and rest more.

Elevate your legs with pillow. Try to stay in bed mostly, get up for toilet and meal only.

For my 1st baby I had spotting from b4 blood test all the way till week 9.

Try to relax, listen to music, watch movies.. keep yourself hydrated! I know it's hard but you're not alone. Many of us went thru the same

All the best!

i might be wrong but i think most of the time the gynae cant explain where the bleeding comes from. so just like uptheair said.. there's nothing they can do also. I think they will just check if there's any blood clot near to the sac or fetus... as long is not there most probably is fine..

You are right. I have an episode of bright red bleeding once just before the end of my first trimester and the dr also cannot tell me the cause.

I was thinking along the line if the dr saw blood clot in the uterus during the scan, then the bleeding could still be from the same source.

Please do bed rest as much as possible. Sometimes the internal vaginal scan can trigger bleeding at early stage pregnancy because the cervix is extra sensitive due to the pregnancy hormones. Relax and keep talking to your baby. Stay positive!

i might be wrong but i think most of the time the gynae cant explain where the bleeding comes from. so just like uptheair said.. there's nothing they can do also. I think they will just check if there's any blood clot near to the sac or fetus... as long is not there most probably is fine..
Yes, most of the time docs cannot explain except for some cases. My ivf doc cannot find the cause for bleed but my gynae did. In any case, nothing can be done since I was already on jabs and oral meds. Can only pray. I don’t know if having a reason for bleeding is better or not having...

will you use a doppler to listen to the heartbeat ? my hubby said is risky to use according to some online article. do you think u can hear the heartbeat using stethoscopes instead?
I have heard of people doing so but not sure if it causes more worries? I guess a good gauge should be the baby’s movements.

sorry if this sound stupid.. hehe. but was thinking to have some device to check if the heartbeat is still there throughout the pregnancy ...to have a peace of mind..really scare to only find out there's no more heartbeat on the next visit.
I did not buy any Doppler to listen to the heartbeat, as online said it is not safe. I just based on my feeling. I feel that Mother n fetus is connected somehow. I will talk to my baby n tell him to be strong and healthy everyday when I preg. After wk20, you will be able to feel ur baby movement. So just be patient and stay positive.

Hi ladies, one week after my ER, the embryologist informed me that I had several embryos that developed to blastocysts, but all of the blastocysts degenerated and nothing could be frozen. Arent the embryos frozen at the earliest stages possible? E.g. if it hit blastocyst stage, shouldn’t they be frozen immediately? I am wondering why they were left out and whether this caused the degeneration? Would appreciate any advice and experience, thank you. Very disappointed that I have 0 frozen embryos from the cycle.

Hi ladies, one week after my ER, the embryologist informed me that I had several embryos that developed to blastocysts, but all of the blastocysts degenerated and nothing could be frozen. Arent the embryos frozen at the earliest stages possible? E.g. if it hit blastocyst stage, shouldn’t they be frozen immediately? I am wondering why they were left out and whether this caused the degeneration? Would appreciate any advice and experience, thank you. Very disappointed that I have 0 frozen embryos from the cycle.
Blastocyst should be day 5, why they called u after 7 days only? Did u ask?

which clinic is that? doesnt quite make sense to me. All embryo transfer date are fixed at the day2 or day3 or day5 for blastocysts transfer depend on the patient.... the transfer date isnt fixed?
Ah okay, to clarify, I had one D5 blastocyst transferred fresh already. but apart from that, there's nothing left.

Blastocyst should be day 5, why they called u after 7 days only? Did u ask?

I was initially in shock and disbelief when they first called me, couldn't ask any questions. But anyway, I managed to clarify with them after that, it seems like some of my embryos grew a bit slower, and became blastocysts on D5, D6, D7. But they were of poor quality. Does anyone have experience of how many embryos became blastocysts, and how many blastocysts were successfully frozen? Seems like even though they became blastocysts, mine were poor quality and not viable.

I was initially in shock and disbelief when they first called me, couldn't ask any questions. But anyway, I managed to clarify with them after that, it seems like some of my embryos grew a bit slower, and became blastocysts on D5, D6, D7. But they were of poor quality. Does anyone have experience of how many embryos became blastocysts, and how many blastocysts were successfully frozen? Seems like even though they became blastocysts, mine were poor quality and not viable.
It happened to me.. 18 fertilized but 3 made to blastocysts at D5 and 3 (poorer grade) at D6. The rest all arrested and discarded.

Hi all,thanks for the advice in these 2 days.I got a scan today and I have a MC.I have 3 rounds of IVF circle.First 2 didn't have any blastocyst. Finally the third I have 2 embryo that reach the 5th days blastocyst.Implanted one which is average quality with full support of medication yet I lost it after 5weeks 4 days of pregnancy.I am telling myself that woman's body are amazing,I believe this embryo doesn't grow well that is why my body rejected it.Am sad but I am still going to try my last round of IVF trigger since I am already 42years old this year.At least I do my best try and I won't regret even I don't get a little one .I just want to tell all women here,do not give up , as long we tried and do our best since is never easy for us, our body.If we don't get to have a successful pregnancy, most important we live healthy and happy with our partner,have each other support.I wish all the women here with my blessings and best wishes.

I think is quite normal. I have 18 fertilized this round. At first at day 3, Doctor told me I have 11 embryos ranging from grading from grade 3 to 5. But by day 5 only 2 good blastocyst frozen. Others all arrested or of very low quality CD grade and discarded by day 7. Embryologist told me even if freeze those very low quality, it will oso most likely not survive after thawing.

Day 6 and day 7 oso considered as blastocyst. But they are lower quality. Transferred a day 6 blastocyst b4 but failed. I still have a day 7 in freezer. Shld be C quality kind.

Last edited:

Back