IVF/ICSI Support Group

Hello ladies, I didn't make it this round. HCG level has dropped. Though disappointed, I'm glad to have clarity on where I am heading. I'm really grateful for all your support and advice. Wouldn't have make it this far without you ladies. Will pick up myself for another fresh cycle when I am ready. Fighting!!!
Hugs hugs. Jia you for next cycle. Rest as much as you can.

Hi all, I have completed my oral medication for the induce of menses on Friday. I was told that my menses will come after about 3 days, but menses came on Saturday. Is it too fast?
Its my 3rd day of menses today, may I ask if I can start to take my folic acid and royal jelly to start preparation for my ivf, which will probably starts in Nov or Dec?
Thanks.
Hi...I also use pills to induce my menses.. Last cycle i haven't finish the pills menses come liao...so yeah...I jus called and inform the nurse...should be ok...you can start on folic acid liao...royal jelly not sure coz i nv take:)

Hello ladies, I didn't make it this round. HCG level has dropped. Though disappointed, I'm glad to have clarity on where I am heading. I'm really grateful for all your support and advice. Wouldn't have make it this far without you ladies. Will pick up myself for another fresh cycle when I am ready. Fighting!!!

Miloqueen,
Sorry to hear that. Rest your body and soul and continue with your next cycle.

Hi...I also use pills to induce my menses.. Last cycle i haven't finish the pills menses come liao...so yeah...I jus called and inform the nurse...should be ok...you can start on folic acid liao...royal jelly not sure coz i nv take:)

Ok thanks... I this case, I shall start on my folic acid first, wait till I finish my menses then I take my royal jelly...

May I know roughly how much is the total amount for doing FET, rough guide only?
Depends on your hospital...we spent ard 4.2k for a natural FET, inclusive of 1.2k govt grant. coz I did so many blood tests and ultrasounds to monitor ovulation. Some hospitals use ovulation test strips hence cost wise is much lower.

Ok thanks... I this case, I shall start on my folic acid first, wait till I finish my menses then I take my royal jelly...
Royal jelly be careful cos too much might cause cysts on the ovaries for some ppl. It did for me if I take too much

Hi all,
I am pretty new here. Have done 5 rounds of IUIs ... and upcoming gg to do my first IVF. Am worried. And the last two times i have very thin blood lining. Hence, wondering if there is any way to increase blood lining. and Prior to IVF what do i need to do. Is really not an easy journey , i believe only people who have been through it understands. Jia you everyone
For lining take red bean soup and beef. Beef preferably...I took lots last time

hi ladies,

i am going for IVF program once after 4 years and this round I didn't go for any TCM preparation.
Is there any last min resource for me to get my health prepare?
I know this topic may have been discussed before, please do not mind to advise me again.
Best now eat more healthy, eg replace white rice with brown, take lots a veggies fruits,white meat but beef lean cut also good, quality water intake, take some supplements if u want also good. Drink home brew long an red dates tea sometimes. Cut down caffeine and English tea

Anyone in TFC under Dr jonathan wee for scanning while Dr sf loh is away?

Wondering how's the review of Dr wee
Me. Last year during my second fresh in April/May. Dr Wee is gentle and conscientious doctor. He is pretty careful and thorough with his scanning and measurement of follicles as compared to Dr Loh's style which is quick and sometimes base on experience estimates. I have also seen dr Wee as dr Loh's back up Gynae at week 5 preggy and very impressed with his care and professional ethics. I have also read excellent reviews of his obstetrics practice. I would say you are in good hands.

Thanks DawnBB for the updates and response.
I will be seeing him tmr. We'll see how it goes. As fr loh will only be back on the 15th.

Do you know if he does procedures on behalf of Dr loh?

Thanks DawnBB for the updates and response.
I will be seeing him tmr. We'll see how it goes. As fr loh will only be back on the 15th.

Do you know if he does procedures on behalf of Dr loh?
For my 2nd fresh, Dr Wee only did one scan for me during stim period while Dr Loh was away and by subsequent scan & ER procedure, Dr Loh was back to resume duties. I'm not sure if he would be required to perform the ER or ET procedures for any cases though I know he has shadowed (like observe as well as assist by side) Dr Loh before while Dr Loh performed such procedures. You can also find out from the Nurses tmr

Hello all,

I did my first Fresh IVF and just got a BFN few days back. Feeling a little down and lost right now. I had 16 follicles out of which had 5 eggs and 2 turned to embryos. I transferred both and hav no frozen left. How long later should I try my next IVF. I am 35 and hubby 42. I have this fear that the longer i wait, the slimmer the chances will be. I'm with NUH.
Anyone with similar experiences or those on this journey keen to share?
Thank you.

no not silly at all, i still look forward to such news in my horoscope - makes me hope for something ;)

I dont know how i came through these 4 cycles, i had my down moments, rough waves and depressing times but I always try to pick myself up and look ahead because I just want to keep going and going until I could no longer do so.

I have many eggs, but what does it tell you in the end? it does not really matter because despite having so many eggs, it never meant any success. So hang in there!
Thanks Babe makes me feel better.

Went for my check up. Doc increased my Menapor from 300 to 450. So now the smaller ones actually got up in size. Now i've got 3 from the size of 17 1/2, 19, 14. Hoping the size will increase for this friday's ER.

Hi ladies!! I am due for my FET this month.. finally.. expecting AF to report this few days. Can I know what to expect or ask dr during the scan? ANything i need to know?

Hello all,

I did my first Fresh IVF and just got a BFN few days back. Feeling a little down and lost right now. I had 16 follicles out of which had 5 eggs and 2 turned to embryos. I transferred both and hav no frozen left. How long later should I try my next IVF. I am 35 and hubby 42. I have this fear that the longer i wait, the slimmer the chances will be. I'm with NUH.
Thank you.
Babe, i hope you will bounce back stronger to try again once you feel ready. During your review with your doc, he may suggest when you can start next fresh cycle. Generally I rested the immediate cycle after bfn and start next cycle when next natural menstrual cycle start assuming it's short protocol.
I was late 37 yo when we got tested after 6 months of TTC naturally then found out Ivf was our only option due to hubby's severe sperm issues though no issue on my side apart from advance age. Starting at Dec 2014, we went the private route choosing to do Ivf at TFC which means skipping the queue at public hospitals but forgoing the grants. It took us almost 1 yr with 3 fresh cycles and 2 FETs before I got my first bfp last Dec 2015. The hard fact is that not many people are fortunate to succeed at first Ivf attempt and perseverance is indeed required in this ardous journey. But there are indeed eventual success stories and you need to find the strength and positive energy to keep trying till you and your hubby decide for yourselves what completes your family with no regrets. All the best.

Hi ladies!! I am due for my FET this month.. finally.. expecting AF to report this few days. Can I know what to expect or ask dr during the scan? ANything i need to know?
For FET, key statistics you like to find out during scans are your womb condition (make sure nothing such as polyps or cysts that may impede implantation), lining thickness and if you have triple lining though this is not as critical as lining thickness. If you are doing natural fet, doc would also check the size of your dominant follicle and advise when to start testing opk for impending ovulation. If on medicated FET, he will confirm that you should not be ovulating. If you have not confirmed the number of embryos to transfer, can also bring up for discussion with doc. If you are interested, you can also confirm with doc on your support medication post ET. Otherwise diet and lifestyle wise is pretty much as usually advised for ET and 2ww preparation. All the best!

Babe, i hope you will bounce back stronger to try again once you feel ready. During your review with your doc, he may suggest when you can start next fresh cycle. Generally I rested the immediate cycle after bfn and start next cycle when next natural menstrual cycle start assuming it's short protocol.
I was late 37 yo when we got tested after 6 months of TTC naturally then found out Ivf was our only option due to hubby's severe sperm issues though no issue on my side apart from advance age. Starting at Dec 2014, we went the private route choosing to do Ivf at TFC which means skipping the queue at public hospitals but forgoing the grants. It took us almost 1 yr with 3 fresh cycles and 2 FETs before I got my first bfp last Dec 2015. The hard fact is that not many people are fortunate to succeed at first Ivf attempt and perseverance is indeed required in this ardous journey. But there are indeed eventual success stories and you need to find the strength and positive energy to keep trying till you and your hubby decide for yourselves what completes your family with no regrets. All the best.

Thank you DawnBB .
Congrats and wishing you a smooth journey ahead.
According to doctor, there were no major issues with me as well except for a blocked fallopian tube on my right. My egg reserves were on the healthy side. However when i was doing IUI, even with tamoxifen, i was only producing one follicle each time. My hubs always seems to have white blood cells in his semen even with antibiotics though there were no infection when they did more testing.

I have no issues with the q in NUH cos I always get my appointments fast though I am just wondering in terms of the expertise rendered compared to private. Sometimes i just feel they do not take enough time to do a through explanation.

For FET, key statistics you like to find out during scans are your womb condition (make sure nothing such as polyps or cysts that may impede implantation), lining thickness and if you have triple lining though this is not as critical as lining thickness. If you are doing natural fet, doc would also check the size of your dominant follicle and advise when to start testing opk for impending ovulation. If on medicated FET, he will confirm that you should not be ovulating. If you have not confirmed the number of embryos to transfer, can also bring up for discussion with doc. If you are interested, you can also confirm with doc on your support medication post ET. Otherwise diet and lifestyle wise is pretty much as usually advised for ET and 2ww preparation. All the best!
Thanks for the detailed explanation DawnBB.. Congrats too! I guess those qns listed above all needs to be addressed as I did not see dr since after ER and was diagnosed with OHSS. and that was 3 mths ago...
Able to advise roughly hw long after menses should the FET take place as i need to preempt the office..

Thank you DawnBB .
Congrats and wishing you a smooth journey ahead.
According to doctor, there were no major issues with me as well except for a blocked fallopian tube on my right. My egg reserves were on the healthy side. However when i was doing IUI, even with tamoxifen, i was only producing one follicle each time. My hubs always seems to have white blood cells in his semen even with antibiotics though there were no infection when they did more testing.

I have no issues with the q in NUH cos I always get my appointments fast though I am just wondering in terms of the expertise rendered compared to private. Sometimes i just feel they do not take enough time to do a through explanation.
I do not have experience with nuh to form any comparison or opinion. However since you have such observations, you may consider consulting another Ivf doc to review your (& hubby's) medical conditions and previous Ivf protocols/ outcomes for a 2nd opinion before deciding if a change in doc may make you feel more confident. Even if you continue with nuh, the alternative opinion may offer valuable insights which you may even share or help you raise necessary questions to discuss next steps with your doc at nuh. Ultimately, Ivf treatments requires a comfortable partnership with your doc as you rely on the doc's expertise esp in terms of stimulation protocols and ER/ ET procedures.

Thanks for the detailed explanation DawnBB.. Congrats too! I guess those qns listed above all needs to be addressed as I did not see dr since after ER and was diagnosed with OHSS. and that was 3 mths ago...
Able to advise roughly hw long after menses should the FET take place as i need to preempt the office..
It depends on how soon your lining is ready to schedule for the FET procedure itself. For natural FET, the assumption is your lining has to be ideally thick by ovulation. For medicated FET, your egg growth & ovulation is suppressed by medication and estrogen is orally taken to grow the lining till ideal thickness. On average, it would be about 12-14 days from start of menses. You can use this as gauge but let your office know you will confirm once you have better idea of the progress of your lining etc from first 1-2 scans.

Last edited:
It depends on how soon your lining is ready to schedule for the FET procedure itself. For natural FET, the assumption is your lining has to be ideally thick by ovulation. For medicated FET, your egg growth & ovulation is suppressed by medication and estrogen is orally taken to grow the lining till ideal thickness. On average, it would be about 12-14 days from start of menses. You can use this as gauge but let your office know you will confirm once you have better idea of the progress of your lining etc from first 1-2 scans.
Thanks so much for the helpful info!! yap.. managed to call clinic and nurse said tt dr will prob see me on day 10 or 13... so now waiting for him to confirm if mine is a medicated or natural FET..

1 question. Will your AF report to you if you are on the long protocol cycle? Im schedule to do ET tmr and my AF by default should report to me in 2days time if i didnt go for this cycle. I wipe myself in the toilet earlier i saw very faint 2 dot of brownish colour and tummy abit of "sour sour" feeling. Is that normal ah? I call sgh they told me that by right AF wont come de. Im abit worried now.

Hi ladies, doc has increased my menopur from 350 to 450. i now seem to have 1-17 1/2, 1-19, 1-14. But i also seem to have slight asthma and chest tightness due to all the virus thats been going on in the office. Doc is aware but didnt say anything abt it. Just wondering if under anesthesia will i have trouble?

1 question. Will your AF report to you if you are on the long protocol cycle? Im schedule to do ET tmr and my AF by default should report to me in 2days time if i didnt go for this cycle. I wipe myself in the toilet earlier i saw very faint 2 dot of brownish colour and tummy abit of "sour sour" feeling. Is that normal ah? I call sgh they told me that by right AF wont come de. Im abit worried now.
Regardless of Long or short protocol, AF shouldn't occur during a fresh cycle after ER and before ET. You have just had your ER not Long ago if I'm not wrong? Some ladies do have some spotting (should be minimal) after ER procedure. For my first fresh short protocol cycle, I had mild OHSS and what seemed to be a little trauma from the ER procedure. On the day of my day-2 embryo transfer 2 days after ER, I was still having a little spotting and feeling sore in the ovaries. I just inform the nurses and doc. Doc checked and was still able to proceed with ET. Just make sure you rest more, minimize rigorous movement or streneous activities to enable your ovaries to heal better. All the best!

Hi ladies, doc has increased my menopur from 350 to 450. i now seem to have 1-17 1/2, 1-19, 1-14. But i also seem to have slight asthma and chest tightness due to all the virus thats been going on in the office. Doc is aware but didnt say anything abt it. Just wondering if under anesthesia will i have trouble?
Have you had your hcg trigger jab? If so, pls watch out for possible OHSS symptoms. If not, shouldn't be OHSS occurring at this stage. But do have plenty of rest, hydrate well and monitor. Can start OHSS prevention measures anyway even before ER, like taking protein rich foods, adequate hydration,drink some electrolytes balancing beverage (100plus, HtwoO). If conditions persists or worsen, pls let doc know and follow his advice accordingly in your next follow up. All the best!

Hello all,

Thank you.

Halo. Im wif kkh. Also did my 1st ivf in june bt bfn. Thy scheduled me for oct slot. Don feel sad, be positive. Meanwhile try to tiao yr body n don pressure yrself too much :)

Hello all,

Thank you.

hello @hopeful_15 im also with nuh! which doctor are u with? i've had one failed fresh and i also noticed that they dont really volunteer that much info..

for me, everytime i receive new info, i will just say ok. but after thinking abt it, i will have alot of questions. so i will call back and ask for details and explanation.. for example, why my icsi rate is low (2/5 only), or even specific details like how many hrs do they wait to check the embryo for fertilisation, what happens to the eggs that don't fertilise, how long do they continue to monitor them etc.. sometimes i even write all my qns down to refer to them during the call so i dont forget to ask anything.

the dr, nurses and embryologists are happy to answer, which is great!! but i agree they are not forthcoming wth the info? if you don't ask, they wont say much or explain.. maybe busy? or maybe to them it's common knowledge, they forget that we are first time patients..

Regardless of Long or short protocol, AF shouldn't occur during a fresh cycle after ER and before ET. You have just had your ER not Long ago if I'm not wrong? Some ladies do have some spotting (should be minimal) after ER procedure. For my first fresh short protocol cycle, I had mild OHSS and what seemed to be a little trauma from the ER procedure. On the day of my day-2 embryo transfer 2 days after ER, I was still having a little spotting and feeling sore in the ovaries. I just inform the nurses and doc. Doc checked and was still able to proceed with ET. Just make sure you rest more, minimize rigorous movement or streneous activities to enable your ovaries to heal better. All the best!
I did my er on sat and thanks for the advise @DawnBB

Finesse9702,
6 blastos are a very good nos. Did you tiao your body for this fresh ?
Previous cycle you were also on GonalF & Centrotide ?

I will try to convince him to try Saizen for my next fresh cycle.

Yes. Catherine is absolutely right. Infact during my first fresh/FET cycle, Dr Cheng & his nurses told me that success rates for FET cycle are higher than fresh cycle. It is just that we will need to prolong the ivf cycle and more jabs to go so some patients prefer to do fresh transfer and some drs are advocates that embryos grow better in the womb.

For my current cycle, first scan showed that i had 20 follicles and i told Dr that I wanted to return for FET even though I could do a fresh transfer. During your last FET, did Lai Cheng told u that the blasts you transferred were still growing after the thaw ?

I wish you all the best for your upcoming FET and hope the blastos hatch out and stick on you tightly.

Yes, I have been taking TCM for the last 1 year and doing acupuncture as well. I think my last cycle I didn't use Centrotide, this is the new medication given to me this round. Not sure if it's becoz of this, but overall the better yield could be becoz of a few changes.. Like me sleeping early and removing caffeine from my diet as well. Oh I used Saizen too during my stimming phase.

As for growth after thaw, nope.. Didn't hear anything from Lai Cheng. Thank u very much daylesford for yr best wishes. I hope u move on very fast and smoothly to yr next stage as well :)

HI jennycsy,
All the best to your ET today! May the procedure be smooth and yr doctor's hands skillful, and may your embies be happy and stick to yr wall! Jiayou!

Last edited:
For my 2nd fresh, Dr Wee only did one scan for me during stim period while Dr Loh was away and by subsequent scan & ER procedure, Dr Loh was back to resume duties. I'm not sure if he would be required to perform the ER or ET procedures for any cases though I know he has shadowed (like observe as well as assist by side) Dr Loh before while Dr Loh performed such procedures. You can also find out from the Nurses tmr

I had seen Dr wee.. he is alright. Gentle and patient guy.

My intention is to do fet this month. And yesterday my director asked me to go biz trip with her. 4 working days. It's during my 2ww. She doesn't know that I'm doing ivf and I dun intend let her know.

How ah? What's your advice?

hello @hopeful_15 im also with nuh! which doctor are u with? i've had one failed fresh and i also noticed that they dont really volunteer that much info..

for me, everytime i receive new info, i will just say ok. but after thinking abt it, i will have alot of questions. so i will call back and ask for details and explanation.. for example, why my icsi rate is low (2/5 only), or even specific details like how many hrs do they wait to check the embryo for fertilisation, what happens to the eggs that don't fertilise, how long do they continue to monitor them etc.. sometimes i even write all my qns down to refer to them during the call so i dont forget to ask anything.

the dr, nurses and embryologists are happy to answer, which is great!! but i agree they are not forthcoming wth the info? if you don't ask, they wont say much or explain.. maybe busy? or maybe to them it's common knowledge, they forget that we are first time patients..

Hi Happynods

I went the subsidy route during my initial fertility testing. Most of the time, I see Dr Shakina and sometimes Dr Lim Meng Yu. I always find that while Dr Lim is polite, he is always rushing me out the door before i could gather my tots. Dr Shakina is generally more welcoming and i feel comfortable with her. But during my review after ET, i did ask her like how was my embryo like. she just said kinda give me a one liner like " it is satisfying" Only when i went out, the nurse shared it was a grade 2 embryo. I mean i am definitely doing my own readings it is better if the doctor explain how your results are to make you understand better.
I agree the nurses are wonderful. Their explanations are so thorough and they really understand how anxious you are to know how things are going.

Which doctor are you with?

Regards
hopeful_15

Hello all,

Thank you.
i am now on my 2ww. waiting bt and also no more fresh left.. i have 14 folicles only 4 got egg and 3 cant make it.. one is cell 7... hopefully can make it..i with nuh also dr chew..so u with?

Back