IVF/ICSI Support Group

Any ladies here who are doing IVF and also seeing Dr Tan Siew Buoy? Finally seeing her after 6 months of waiting(because i had to change my earlier appt in Aug).
Yes i am with dr tan siew buoy ! Just switched to her shortly after i had my 2nd fresh where i had only 1 avg blast. Just finished my 3rd fresh with 4 gd quality blastos.

Good luck to you !

I wish it can apply to below 35 too...Bcoz young also dun mean can hit jackpot right...

I think for the reason for 35 and older is because scientifically the egg quality drops drastically after 35. So the test will make more sense for this higher age group as statistically the eggs will have higher chances of chromosomal abnormalities. Sad to say I fall into this group. :eek:

But for those who failed two pregnancies or implants (what does this mean???) can also take part regardless of age.

Yes i am with dr tan siew buoy ! Just switched to her shortly after i had my 2nd fresh where i had only 1 avg blast. Just finished my 3rd fresh with 4 gd quality blastos.

Good luck to you !

Thanks babe! Going to see her today and my IVF is scheduled in Feb. Hopefully still in time!

I did not managed to do my daily chart temperature as i was in the US for 2 weeks and before that just too lazy hahaha.

BTW when you all say blast means the ER and the quality of the eggs? How are the eggs quality deemed and any way to improve? I read that you all mention diet is important? So before my IVF, i need to watch what i eat, exercise regularly? After the ER, ET process, need to stay off working out?

During the 2ww, can do housework?

Thanks babe! Going to see her today and my IVF is scheduled in Feb. Hopefully still in time!

I did not managed to do my daily chart temperature as i was in the US for 2 weeks and before that just too lazy hahaha.

BTW when you all say blast means the ER and the quality of the eggs? How are the eggs quality deemed and any way to improve? I read that you all mention diet is important? So before my IVF, i need to watch what i eat, exercise regularly? After the ER, ET process, need to stay off working out?

Hi Sharkles, ER is Egg Retrieval. After ploughing through websites and books, it seems like taking COQ10 (Ubiquinol format if you are above 35) everyday helped a lot of women. This is suppose to "reverse" the age of your eggs. However, you need to start asap if planning to do IVF soon, as it takes about 90 days for it to work well.

Our eggs have this 90 day span which means that what you eat today affects your eggs 3 months down the road. This is why TCM also advised us to try chinese meds 2-3 months to see effect. And it's good to start folate (or folic acid) and other supplements at least 3 months before fertility treatments.

I didn't know this in the past and wasted 2 IUI cycles. I am not 100% sure is it due to me not taking care at least 3 months before... hope this coming IVF cycle can prove that this theory works!

Oh since you are scheduled for Feb, you have plenty of time to get ready! :)

Hi Sharkles, ER is Egg Retrieval. After ploughing through websites and books, it seems like taking COQ10 (Ubiquinol format if you are above 35) everyday helped a lot of women. This is suppose to "reverse" the age of your eggs. However, you need to start asap if planning to do IVF soon, as it takes about 90 days for it to work well.

Our eggs have this 90 day span which means that what you eat today affects your eggs 3 months down the road. This is why TCM also advised us to try chinese meds 2-3 months to see effect. And it's good to start folate (or folic acid) and other supplements at least 3 months before fertility treatments.

I didn't know this in the past and wasted 2 IUI cycles. I am not 100% sure is it due to me not taking care at least 3 months before... hope this coming IVF cycle can prove that this theory works!

Oh since you are scheduled for Feb, you have plenty of time to get ready! :)

Great to know still in time. As i have PCOS, so people are asking me to take the Revosit as well. So i guess now i see TCm and religiously take the revosit, should be helpful. After ER, the doc will tell you the quality of the eggs and how many can use etc?

Great to know still in time. As i have PCOS, so people are asking me to take the Revosit as well. So i guess now i see TCm and religiously take the revosit, should be helpful. After ER, the doc will tell you the quality of the eggs and how many can use etc?

Yes, when you start stimming, you will need to go for regular scans for Dr to see how the follicles are growing, numbers, etc. My nurse advised that the best embryos are the ones who grow to Day 5 blastocysts but this doesn't happen to everyone. So Day 3 transfer is common too.

I am also seeing TCM and taking the chinese powder drink everyday. However, I heard that it's not good to take chinese herbs during stimming period... anyone ladies here can advise on this?

My friend also suggested to take Royal Jelly prior to ER but I've read conflicting information about this in the book "It starts with the Egg" by Rebecca Felt. So to play safe I just stopped eating it a couple weeks ago.

May I know how often to drink the read date drink? And how many red dates to put for boiling?
I guess it depends on whether you have time to boil it every night and whether your body can take it. For me, i boiled it every night and kept them in a thermal flask for next day's consumption. Once i feel that my throat is getting dry, i'll stop for a day and replace LRD with water. I'll resume when my throat gets better, usually a day later.

As in how many to use, also subjective coz our taste buds work differently and also depends on how much water you use. There are also the big and the small dates. If i use the bigger ones, i'll use 15 and add in longan and wolfberries and i'll boil and simmer for 45mins. You can trial and error the quantity to add or reduce till it is to a taste that you are ok with. Hope this helps.

IBut from last night, I had this pinkish discharge(tiny amount) and then brown discharge, looks like some old blood. Dunno if this is the implantation bleeding.

Are those pink discharge observed amidst the crinone clumps? I think it is quite common for crinone users coz we could have "scratch" the walls with the applicator. Dun worry ok. Like i said, having slight pink staining for 1-2 days may be a good thing as long as it doesn't continue for a prolong period.

For Dr Tan, she will need us to chart out our basal temperature so that she will adjust our medication accordingly to the BT.
No, blast is blastocyst. On diet, I was strict on my diet prior to my 3rd fresh cycle. Cut down loads of carbo and exercise everyday and I lost some weight too. I was also large quality of Ubiquinol for 2.5 months too. I am also a PCOS patient and for cycle 2, I had 30 follicles and only 1 average quality blastocyst while for 3rd cycle, had 60+ follicles and 4 gd quality blastocysts. Also my dr had adjusted a different protocol for me too. So I guess all these had attributed to better quality of blastocysts.

I am currently preparing my body for FET. During my 1st FET where I BFP, I bed rested throughout the 2WW.

Any ladies here who are doing IVF and also seeing Dr Tan Siew Buoy? Finally seeing her after 6 months of waiting(because i had to change my earlier appt in Aug).

Hi, are you with NUH Prof PC WONG? If you are, you may want to consider another TCM. I was seeing her and then I started IVF with Prof. But her face and attitude changed totally when she heard that I'm doing IVF with Prof. She really dislikes Prof or put it this way, she hates him. She told me that Prof don't believe in tcm and asked his patients to stop tcm.

Once u start IVF, she will ask you to stop her medication. Anyway, I've stopped her. She kept saying that I'm burning my money with Prof. When I went to see her after my failed cycle, she scolded me for choosing Prof and said that she will not treat me as I'm Prof's patient. She scolded me till I cried in front of her and that was the day I received my beta.
Maybe it's her tactic to drive me away. She said that she's into treating patients to conceive NATURALLY, not through IVF.

Hi, are you with NUH Prof PC WONG? If you are, you may want to consider another TCM. I was seeing her and then I started IVF with Prof. But her face and attitude changed totally when she heard that I'm doing IVF with Prof. She really dislikes Prof or put it this way, she hates him. She told me that Prof don't believe in tcm and asked his patients to stop tcm.

Once u start IVF, she will ask you to stop her medication. Anyway, I've stopped her. She kept saying that I'm burning my money with Prof. When I went to see her after my failed cycle, she scolded me for choosing Prof and said that she will not treat me as I'm Prof's patient. She scolded me till I cried in front of her and that was the day I received my beta.
Maybe it's her tactic to drive me away. She said that she's into treating patients to conceive NATURALLY, not through IVF.

When we see her, can we don't said we doing IVF???

Amiee,
Oh No !... Sounded a horrible experience. Infact I also had an unpleasant experience on one of my appointments where I told her that i would be cycling after 3 months from my last fresh cycle. She told me very bluntly that TCM will require 6 months to 1 yr before it takes effect but prior I was already with another TCM for a long time just that I found that the powder herbs did not have much impact on me so I switched to her herbs instead.

Yes she also told me to stop her herbs during my stims as I maybe overstimulated and she told me that only Dr Loh's patients will continue with her herbs during stims which I don't understand why (in my case I was also overstimulated without drinking her herbs during stims) ?!?

But on my first appointment, i told her I am on IVF and was asked to fill a questionnaire on our blood test profiles, previous cycles histories etc....
Wah, like this huh... I just failed my FET again..and thinking switch to her for TCM. Currently, I am on acupuncture in RH..but thinking her medicine need to brew, I a bit lazy
Or maybe, she see which IVF doctor U are under...Does she hate KK Dr Tan?? hahaha...

I really generated more eggs and had my first few blasts from KKH( but with tcm this time). But care level at NUH is really remarkable as compared to KKH. At KKH, they operated on factory production model. I can't blame them cos they have a lot more patients. It's hard to get one additional day of mc too. No updates on embryos on daily basis, no bed to rest after ET, nurse don't call u up after ET to ask, n lesser medication support during 2ww and post BT. I really miss the CHR nurses and level of care at NUH. But Dr THH is a important reason why we will stick to KKH eventually. He's truly approachable and experienced.

Anyway, I hope that I'll BFP from this round n no more IVF. My mother told me that one is good enough Liao after she saw what I went through. Think she heartpain to see her daughter going through jabs, acupuncture, yucky medication and stress during 2ww.

Thank you.. this is really helpful.
Hope it'll be a BFP for you.

Wah, like this huh... I just failed my FET again..and thinking switch to her for TCM. Currently, I am on acupuncture in RH..but thinking her medicine need to brew, I a bit lazy
Or maybe, she see which IVF doctor U are under...Does she hate KK Dr Tan?? hahaha...

Yes i switched to her primarily for her herbs as my friends told me that herbs that requires brewing and they are more effective than the powdered ones. I am still with Dr Zou for acupuncture though. I am with Dr LC Cheng and she was ok with it. But word of caution, better don't mention that u are with RH.

I think it depends on which IVF doc u see. Heard from one of the ladies here that she's a good friend with Dr Loh. Maybe that's why Dr Loh's patients can continue with her herbs.

Not sure if she hates KK Dr Tan. I asked her if you don't like Prof, I changed. She mentioned KK's doc will complement TCM. I asked her which one, she did not reply.

In the end, I stopped seeing her as I really find that she doesn't have the compassion as a doc. Fancy scolding me till I cried on a day when I received my beta. On that visit, she picked up the phone and reply her message for a good few minutes. I asked her how's my condition. She replied me, "you ask Prof la, you want to see him what. Don't ask me, I just help to tiao your body only. Here we help people to conceive naturally, not through IVF." I walked out with crying and vowed not to see her again. My hubby super heart pain. Cos I did not cry when I receive beta results. But I cried cos of one tcm that we paid hundred over dollars to see. Pay money to get scolding and sadness.

She's not worth my hours of waiting. It could be up to 3hrs on weekdays evening.

I have been seeing tsb since Aug 2012 n right from the start she knows I go for ivf. Nvr once she scolded me Nor stressed me taking bt. She always ask me relax n this round fet I m still w her. I took an 8 months break seeing her after I gave birth to my gal in nov 14 then resume seeing her after the break.
Even though she did tell my other gf not to use my ivf dr but nvr once she ask me to leave him so I don't really know y she said tat too. But since I m good in her hands I dun intend to change my tcm.
Whatever she said I just listen I have queried I asked but nvr challenge her.
Sometimes she is so chatty w me about Fann Wong n Yvonne Lim tat I have to cut it short cos many patients waiting outside the room.

I think it depends on which IVF doc u see. Heard from one of the ladies here that she's a good friend with Dr Loh. Maybe that's why Dr Loh's patients can continue with her herbs.

Not sure if she hates KK Dr Tan. I asked her if you don't like Prof, I changed. She mentioned KK's doc will complement TCM. I asked her which one, she did not reply.

In the end, I stopped seeing her as I really find that she doesn't have the compassion as a doc. Fancy scolding me till I cried on a day when I received my beta. On that visit, she picked up the phone and reply her message for a good few minutes. I asked her how's my condition. She replied me, "you ask Prof la, you want to see him what. Don't ask me, I just help to tiao your body only. Here we help people to conceive naturally, not through IVF." I walked out with crying and vowed not to see her again. My hubby super heart pain. Cos I did not cry when I receive beta results. But I cried cos of one tcm that we paid hundred over dollars to see. Pay money to get scolding and sadness.

She's not worth my hours of waiting. It could be up to 3hrs on weekdays evening.

OMG that sounds horrible and unprofessional of her. Will take note to avoid this TCM because I am "eat soft don't eat hard" kind.

My TCM who does acupuncture as well never said anything against the IVF docs. Although she is very pro-natural as well, she did say that since we can't conceive naturally (can't WAIT because I want it soon to meet the age grant), IVF is the next best option.

I have not been pregnant before. Thus, not sure how this pinkish implantation look like. But from last night, I had this pinkish discharge(tiny amount) and then brown discharge, looks like some old blood. Dunno if this is the implantation bleeding. I had it last IVF too. But it was chemical pregnancy. Same number of days after transfer as compared to first cycle. It's not those fresh red spotting.

Anyway, like I mentioned, seeing this discharge gave me a nervous breakdown. I cried and couldn't sleep last night.

I'm so sorry, wat is ur HCG BETA when U had ur CP last time..............?

hello ladies..i had my ER on friday and will not be doing any ET this cycle. this morning i saw a small spot of blood on my panty and now there is another spot..i feel like my menses is coming..can anyone advise when will menses come when on ivf cycle with no ET done that cycle? feeling my cycle is kinda haywire now..coz im only cd 20 as per my last menses date.

Im with dr Sadhana, just failed my first fresh cycle :((
Going for FET next month, but dr Sadhana won't be around that day and dr Tan Tse Yuen will do the transfer for me. Anyone under her before? could not find any reviews of her.
Or I should cancel my appointment and wait for dr Sadhana back?

Going for FET next month, but dr Sadhana won't be around that day and dr Tan Tse Yuen will do the transfer for me. Anyone under her before? could not find any reviews of her.

Hi Tracy, where do U do ur FET................? How much FET cost roughly.....................?

If I were you, I would proceed with the transfer, wouldn't want to waste time..cos to me, transfer is a non-complex procedure.

hello ladies..i had my ER on friday and will not be doing any ET this cycle. this morning i saw a small spot of blood on my panty and now there is another spot..i feel like my menses is coming..can anyone advise when will menses come when on ivf cycle with no ET done that cycle? feeling my cycle is kinda haywire now..coz im only cd 20 as per my last menses date.
Wedalia,
It is usual that our AF goes haywire after our fresh cycles. I did 3 fresh cycles without ET as I normally return for FETs. Among my 3 cycles, i had one cycle where i started spotting on post retrieval day 4 and dr said it was hormonal imbalance. But once I started with norethisterone, the spotting stopped and my AF reported shortly after I completed the prescribed course of norethisterone. My first cycle after my retrieval also prolonged too.

Any ladies can suggest me prenatal rainbow multivitamin and coq10 from iherbs which is the dosage u all take..
Im curently takin only folic acid 5mg.dats all.tink i need more to that..

Any ladies can suggest me prenatal rainbow multivitamin and coq10 from iherbs which is the dosage u all take..
Im curently takin only folic acid 5mg.dats all.tink i need more to that..

hajar,
I was on Healthy Origins Ubiquinol and took btw 600mg - 800mg (thats about 2 to 3 capsules of 200mg) / day while preparing for my 3rd cycle and this cycle turned out to be much better than my 2nd fresh cycle. Your folic acid intake of 5mg / day should be sufficient.

Wedalia,
It is usual that our AF goes haywire after our fresh cycles. I did 3 fresh cycles without ET as I normally return for FETs. Among my 3 cycles, i had one cycle where i started spotting on post retrieval day 4 and dr said it was hormonal imbalance. But once I started with norethisterone, the spotting stopped and my AF reported shortly after I completed the prescribed course of norethisterone. My first cycle after my retrieval also prolonged too.
Tks...im going for my appt tomorrow..will check with my doctor..

hajar,
I was on Healthy Origins Ubiquinol and took btw 600mg - 800mg (thats about 2 to 3 capsules of 200mg) / day while preparing for my 3rd cycle and this cycle turned out to be much better than my 2nd fresh cycle. Your folic acid intake of 5mg / day should be sufficient.
Great!! Im prepin for 3rd fresh too..hoepufly this time helps me...thanks alot

Tks...im going for my appt tomorrow..will check with my doctor..
Wedelia, I have the same problem as you. My ER was less than a week ago and I'm starting to get what it seems like my period. I will call the hospital to check tomorrow if this is normal.

Wedelia, I have the same problem as you. My ER was less than a week ago and I'm starting to get what it seems like my period. I will call the hospital to check tomorrow if this is normal.
My spotting seems to be turning to menses now..kinda puzzled if i had done a ET n this happened then how???will ask my doctor tomorrow

hi @Wanbaby ,
I think as long the ladies belong to either of two criteria factors, they will be eligible to choose for embryo screening option in 3 hospitals.

Extracted from press release articles:

A woman must be 35 or older, or have experienced at least two failed pregnancies or implants, to take part in a clinical trial to genetically screen embryos before they are implanted.

The National University Hospital (NUH) will be leading the trial, which will start next year. There is no age restriction for women who fall into the second category.

The government-funded study will be conducted at NUH, Singapore General Hospital and KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital, said NUH consultant Lim Min Yu, from its department of obstetrics and gynaecology
This has alrdy been done in USA and Thailand and other countries. Why Singapore only doing it now... Wasted effort of those who tried ivf before n failed due to poor egg quality not diagnosed.oh well.. Better late than never ..

I think the TCM docs mostly advocate natural rather than ivf. I had a similiar experience with another well-known tcm doc. Went to him to prep my body for my 2nd fresh then. He scolded me very badly and told me to not proceed with ivf but instead to follow him to do naturally. And it wasn' because of my ivf doc because he dint even ask who it was. All he knew was that i was prep-ing my body for 2nd fresh and he was unhappy le. He kept telling me if I dont listen to him, "sure fail one" (his exact words, reiterated a few times during the visit).

I dont think that is an appropriate attitude for any doctor. His words stung and I cried for 2 days and obviously I did not go back to him after that 1 visit.

Last edited:
hi @sharkles is the revosit prescribed by dr? I also hv pcos so curious to know where to get it too. currently taking maca, ubiqunoil and folic acid separately.

Dr said menses after ER is fine..btw those who had done medicated FET..are the medications not covered under the subsidy? I had to collect & pay at the pharmacy..

I think the TCM docs mostly advocate natural rather than ivf. I had a similiar experience with another well-known tcm doc. Went to him to prep my body for my 2nd fresh then. He scolded me very badly and told me to not proceed with ivf but instead to follow him to do naturally. And it wasn' because of my ivf doc because he dint even ask who it was. All he knew was that i was prep-ing my body for 2nd fresh and he was unhappy le. He kept telling me if I dont listen to him, "sure fail one" (his exact words, reiterated a few times during the visit).

I dont think that is an appropriate attitude for any doctor. His words stung and I cried for 2 days and obviously I did not go back to him after that 1 visit.
That's so sucky and unprofessional of a doc to say that - opps, wouldn't even say a doc, would say a TCM practitioner. What happens if some silly patient really listens to him and still have no good news? Can he GUARANTEE that the patient will definitely bring home a baby just by following his TCM? What rubbish.

If I were you, I would just slam it into his face and leave without paying.

Dr said menses after ER is fine..btw those who had done medicated FET..are the medications not covered under the subsidy? I had to collect & pay at the pharmacy..
You must let the nurses at KKIVF know that you are under subsidy/govt grant and they will stamp / write something on the prescription before you go to the pharmacy for collection. If not, it will all be by hard cash

Last edited:
Hi all, this is a silly question but for those of you who have done ER / ET, did you wear socks or was bare footed during the procedures?

I was just looking at the overseas forums and many ladies like to wear "good luck" socks, lol.

That's so sucky and unprofessional of a doc to say that - opps, wouldn't even say a doc, would say a TCM practitioner. What happens if some silly patient really listens to him and still have no good news? Can he GUARANTEE that the patient will definitely bring home a baby just by following his TCM? What rubbish.

If I were you, I would just slam it into his face and leave without paying.

Towkayneo,
Exactly ! But these days some of the drs are just not good listeners or lack of empathy on patients who are fighting so hard against infertility.

Hi all, this is a silly question but for those of you who have done ER / ET, did you wear socks or was bare footed during the procedures?

I was just looking at the overseas forums and many ladies like to wear "good luck" socks, lol.
kesian the doctor.... LOL
since we have to remove outer clothing for ER, I think socks also have to remove.

Back