IVF 40ish support group

Hi Sherise123!
Stay positive. Don't care what science tells you cos there is a God out there that is greater than science. Miracles do happen. Just keep believing!

I will be going for another scan on friday to find out if I have to abort or not. I'm around 8 weeks now and there is just a mass of cells. no heart beat.

Doc was sharing some stats ivf success rate for us is 10-20%.

So far my hospital bill for 1 subsized cycle was 5000+, i wonder if the other ladies in the chat bothered to calculate as a distraction while waiting?

All the best!
Thanks for the reply ineedmiracle! Unfortunately, the 3 embryos that survived till blastocyst were not suitable for transfer after pgt. Doctor recommended that I try another cycle but was told to wait for 2 months first because he prescribed medication for my husband to up his testosterone levels. :(

Hi Kayla,

Sorry to hear that. But IVF is full of ups and downs. Everytime I feel hopeful, it gives me the opposite. Maybe that is why we need to be zen

Jiayou! The next cycle will be a good one.

Hi Kayla,
Cheer up and be positive.
You can do this if you rest well and harness all that energy for the next round.

Also, miracles can happen! Some people get pregnant in between of IVF cycles when their body is resting. Just never ever give up... we all deserve to be mothers! ❤️

Hi Kayla,

Sorry to hear that. But IVF is full of ups and downs. Everytime I feel hopeful, it gives me the opposite. Maybe that is why we need to be zen

Jiayou! The next cycle will be a good one.
Thank you.. Trying not to think too much about it. Maybe a 2-month break is good for us. Jiayou everyone!

Hi Kayla,
Cheer up and be positive.
You can do this if you rest well and harness all that energy for the next round.

Also, miracles can happen! Some people get pregnant in between of IVF cycles when their body is resting. Just never ever give up... we all deserve to be mothers! ❤
Hi GoodluckBB,
Thank you.. yup, I’ll try my best to be more ready for the next cycle! :)

My husband has been taking Profertil, not sure if anyone has any other recommendations?

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this group. I have been ttc for 2 years plus before started seeing Prof Wong from NUH in June 2021. Started seeing tcm practitioner in April 2022. Unexplained infertility. Seems like it’s my age. I’m turning 40 next month. Been through 4 rounds of clomid, 3 rounds of IUI. And just failed my first IVF. I didn’t have any embryo frozen down. So need to start a fresh cycle in 2 months time (hopefully). Anyone one under NUH and had success? I have only 2 more chances for co-funded IVF. Not sure whether I should switch doctor? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks all

Hi Hoonie,

The first IVF sometimes is like a test cycle for the lab and your doc. Next cycle, meds will prob increase for u. So it shd get better. My first cycle had nothing to freeze too. I started looking for another doc. I was panicking. I'm not gonna lie, I was devastated and cried like a baby. But I only gave myself 1 day to cry it out. In the end, I remained with the same doc for 2nd cycle. There wasn't enough time to switch for me. But 2nd cycle was better... not a lot to freeze but got a few.

In the lab, embryologist will use your previous cycle videos to guide their understanding of your embryo development in next cycle. That's what my embryologist shared with me.

If u switch doc... then it becomes 1st cycle again with a new doc. But u can also share your med records with the new doc and let the new doc decide the meds for u. But if u switch to private, u lose co-fund. If losing co-fund is still affordable for u... then u don't even need consider this factor.

Rest first, take the 2 mths and research on doctors. Either way 2 mths gives u time to prep your body, means eating better to build up... it gives time for your body to rest. It also gives time for u to research, maybe squeeze in a second opinion from another doc first before officially switching. Use the 2 mths wisely... just remember 1 failure doesn't mean you're doomed. Failures bring you towards success. Don't dwell on it and move on. You are stronger than you think.

Hi Hoonie,

The first IVF sometimes is like a test cycle for the lab and your doc. Next cycle, meds will prob increase for u. So it shd get better. My first cycle had nothing to freeze too. I started looking for another doc. I was panicking. I'm not gonna lie, I was devastated and cried like a baby. But I only gave myself 1 day to cry it out. In the end, I remained with the same doc for 2nd cycle. There wasn't enough time to switch for me. But 2nd cycle was better... not a lot to freeze but got a few.

In the lab, embryologist will use your previous cycle videos to guide their understanding of your embryo development in next cycle. That's what my embryologist shared with me.

If u switch doc... then it becomes 1st cycle again with a new doc. But u can also share your med records with the new doc and let the new doc decide the meds for u. But if u switch to private, u lose co-fund. If losing co-fund is still affordable for u... then u don't even need consider this factor.

Rest first, take the 2 mths and research on doctors. Either way 2 mths gives u time to prep your body, means eating better to build up... it gives time for your body to rest. It also gives time for u to research, maybe squeeze in a second opinion from another doc first before officially switching. Use the 2 mths wisely... just remember 1 failure doesn't mean you're doomed. Failures bring you towards success. Don't dwell on it and move on. You are stronger than you think.

Hi GoodluckBB,
Thanks so much for your advice. You are right. I think I'm panicking too much. I am too devastated by the negative pregnancy test. There is so much going on in my head and I am not thinking straight. The main reason why we chose NUH is for convenience as we both work near there. We didn’t want to stress ourselves over work arrangement and explaining to people why we are always on leave. We didn’t want to waste our MCs and leave as we understand that fertility treatment is not a once off thing. I guess I will stick to Prof Wong and see what we can get the next cycle. We prefer to exhaust our co-fund before switching to private.
Do you think seeking TCM treatment at the same time is advisable? My TCM practitioner was worried that I will suffer from OHSS and was administering drugs and acupuncture to control the number of follicles released. In the end we only had 5 oocytes retrieved and only 3 matured, and only 1 fertilized. So we are thinking of pausing our TCM treatment for the next fresh cycle.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Hoonie... I don't know abt TCM. I did not do at all. But I wanna start TCM acupunctures and herbs after CNY to boost my overall health.

Some articles say do TCM along with it...do 3 mths then do IVF. I didn't do it though... cos of money. We are not co-funded.

Cos I am not co-funded, my advise is finish up your co-funded rounds. That co-funding itself is already a blessing!

Give yourself a break... go on a holiday, u might concieve then. Since ur case is unexplained fertility means you can conceive one.. your Dr can't even pinpoint it to any particular factor, right? No female factors or male factors? If no, then just stay positive. For me, we have factors of which Dr told us.

Just stay positive and don't think anymore. Cry, cry...get it out your system, then pick yourself up again! An IVF warrior doesn't give up!

Hi Hoonie,

Just a thought... trying to analyse for you.
In your clomid cycles and IUI cycles ... how many follicles were there compared to your last IVF cycle?

That will give u a clue if TCM really caused an issue or not.

If you had more follicles (meaning potential oocytes) during clomid/IUI cycles and you had not done TCM during those... then u can deduce that TCM may have affected your IVF cycle.

If all along u been doing TCM for all cycles and follicles always similar count then 2 possibilities.. maybe TCM not suit you, or really need work on general health (physical, emotional and mental health)(apparently stress also affects fertility).Then to come to conclusion stop TCM and only use western drugs. See if results better. If yes, then u know TCM confirm was the culprit for you?

Does it make sense? After all IVF cycles are like science experiments... so you slowly analyse and see what u can do for the next.

Hi GoodluckBB,
I had 1-2 follicles when on clomid for 4 cycles (but all failed). And I developed a cyst before I could start my first IUI. So I started TCM treatment to help resolve my cyst since Prof Wong’s solution was to wait and let the cyst resolve on its own. We tried to conceive naturally for a couple of months as we were worried the cyst was a side effect of clomid. My TCM practitioner uses my temperature to determine my ovulation day. And because its not working, we went on to start IUI. I did a scan without clomid and there was no follicle. And Prof put me on clomid again. I had 1-3 follicles for 3 rounds of IUI. All this while, I was on herbal medicines and acupuncture. After my oocyte retrival, my TCM practitioner stopped my herbal medicines and only administer acupuncture, I started TCM medicines after my embryo transfer.
I agree that IVF is like a science experiment. That’s why I’m contemplating whether to pause TCM treatment for 1 cycle. But at the same time, I’m also worried about not maximizing my chances. In a dilemma right now.

Hey Hoonie,

I can understand the stress u feel now.
From what u describe may be worth trying a round with no TCM ... and see the results. If the results are better, then TCM was probably interfering with western meds for your previous cycles. I am also sure your Dr will put u on slightly higher dosage for the next cycle. If exact same protocol, u can also ask your Dr why not give u higher dosage or change the brand/type of follicle stimulating drug.

After the 2nd IVF cycle, u will have clarity. Don't stress and think too much now.

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this group. I have been ttc for 2 years plus before started seeing Prof Wong from NUH in June 2021. Started seeing tcm practitioner in April 2022. Unexplained infertility. Seems like it’s my age. I’m turning 40 next month. Been through 4 rounds of clomid, 3 rounds of IUI. And just failed my first IVF. I didn’t have any embryo frozen down. So need to start a fresh cycle in 2 months time (hopefully). Anyone one under NUH and had success? I have only 2 more chances for co-funded IVF. Not sure whether I should switch doctor? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks all
Hi Hoonie,

I did my IUI and IVF in NUH too. with 8 failed IUI and 1 failed IVF. Did my 2nd IVF last yr and im now 4mths pregnant to date. Dont give up ya! I was a subsidize patient at NUH and was lead to Doc Sakinah and Doc Zhong Wei at CHR clinic.. both were very supportive doctor, motivate me not to give up. After the 1st failed IVF, i stop and rest for almost a year and start again for my 2nd.

My cousin who is as the same age as me (40yr tis yr), after 19yrs of waiting did her 4th ivf at KKH. Shes now 7mths pregnant.

Dont give up ok, try to relax and go with the flow this time.

d(^.^)b

Hi Countyourblessings,

Thanks so much for sharing here. Your account is inspiring me too.

To all our ladies on this journey this year. Let's all support each other to stay positive.
Some affirmations to start.

We all deserve to be mothers.
We are working hard on our journeys.
We will go at it till we succeed.
We will all be blessed with children.

Hi countingyourblessings and GoodluckBB,
Thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement. I discussed with my hubby last night, and we decided to stop TCM treatment and acupuncture for now. We will see Prof in Feb and we plan to proceed with our second IVF under NUH (provided no hiccups). We feel that we are already familiar with the procedures and environment there. Plus we both work near there. We feel this arrangement will be the least stressful and least disruptive to our daily lives. We are also planning to get a second opinion from Dr Tan Heng Hao from Alpha in the meantime. I read good reviews about him.

Hi countingyourblessings and GoodluckBB,
Thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement. I discussed with my hubby last night, and we decided to stop TCM treatment and acupuncture for now. We will see Prof in Feb and we plan to proceed with our second IVF under NUH (provided no hiccups). We feel that we are already familiar with the procedures and environment there. Plus we both work near there. We feel this arrangement will be the least stressful and least disruptive to our daily lives. We are also planning to get a second opinion from Dr Tan Heng Hao from Alpha in the meantime. I read good reviews about him.
Hi Hoonie,

Be patience and dont stress it about it too much. Im sure everything will come in placed at the correct time. Whenever we fail in doing things, im sure god has a better plan for us. Heads up! Think positive, move on and please dont give up.

Hope to hear your good news in future. ;)

After failed 1st FET, i went for TCM, included acupunture and chinese powder medicine for about 2 - 3 months. I also recorded my body temp every morning. Anyway, still failed in 2nd FET. I dropped TCM since i am financially tight. No doubt the acupunture can help in tiao my body, as i felt i can sleep better at night after acupunture. I just stick to western medicine for my following transfers.

is anyone at KKH? would like to pm you to share how our experiences are like

I'm 42, just did my first IVF but failed. now going to abort and start afresh after 1 cycle of menses. would like to share on how our experiences are, who your doc was,

I probably am more lax than the average person here as I only took a multivitamin and folic acid- I am wondering now if I am missing out on anything? and I also drank coffee as well as I couldnt work without it. i also exercised, as it helps my body in general and I couldnt live without it.

Hi Sherise,

I'm sorry to hear the news. Allow yourself to cry but quickly pick yourself up again, okay?

I'm not with KKH, but I hope some who are will respond to you quickly so you have answers.

For supplements, I took a lot.... CoQ10 I feel is important. Vit E, D3, B12, C and Folic Acid. I added fish oils too.

I haven't had coffee since 2021. I miss it, stole a sip once or twice from my hubby. But never had a full/half cup till today. I've stopped tea also... sadly, I drink water with my breakfast sometimes. Some days I drink milk.

I used to exercise (swim/run) a lot and ran marathons even. But since 2020, I stopped exercising.

I hope useful info on KKH comes to you soon. Take care for now.

I'm 42, just did my first IVF but failed. now going to abort and start afresh after 1 cycle of menses. would like to share on how our experiences are, who your doc was,

I probably am more lax than the average person here as I only took a multivitamin and folic acid- I am wondering now if I am missing out on anything? and I also drank coffee as well as I couldnt work without it. i also exercised, as it helps my body in general and I couldnt live without it.
Hello...I was from KKH from beginning to end. I am also a very lax person, no TCM, no multivitamins and I drink bubble tea from beginning to end even during TWW.

My doctor was Tan Heng Hao before he left for Alpha, then I went to Jessie Phoon (too bad, no chemistry) and finally Liu Shu Ling who wrapped up my whole IVF journey.

You can ask your Q here and I see if I can clarify your doubts.

did anyone do prenatal screening of the embryo prior to implantation? I was told by my doc I cannot do it for the frozen embryos, but i wonder if its true.
there is subsidy: https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highlig...-eligible-couples-in-their-parenthood-journey
If you are referring to PGS/PGD before implantation, I did send over my 2 frozen embryos to TMC (JB) for PGS/PGD from KKH. Back then I wanted to know the gender before going ahead with the transfer. Turns out that both frozen embryos were not viable for transfer but I got to know the gender.

Hi towkayneo,

I didnt know we can. How did you request it? How much was it? Do u bring it over yourself?
I liaised with TMC JB and they asked to email to KKH to release my 2 frozen embryo while at the same time, TMC JB applied for permit with the malaysia customs to allow the 2 frozen embryos to come into JB.

On the day of collection, somebody from TMC JB went over to KKH to collect the 2 frozen embryo back to their clinic.

All in all, about RM12K, but that was in 2019.

i asked for pre embryo testing but i couldnt do it because my current ones are already frozen. gynae at KK was against it, saying not foolproof and taking cells out of so little cells is harmful.

i asked for pre embryo testing but i couldnt do it because my current ones are already frozen. gynae at KK was against it, saying not foolproof and taking cells out of so little cells is harmful.
yup, there are more restrictions in SG. Cant do gender testing and selection also...

If you are referring to PGS/PGD before implantation, I did send over my 2 frozen embryos to TMC (JB) for PGS/PGD from KKH. Back then I wanted to know the gender before going ahead with the transfer. Turns out that both frozen embryos were not viable for transfer but I got to know the gender.

Hello @towkayneo,

Can check with you the reason it were not viable for transfer? Is it due to its grading? Mine are 5BC and 5CC embryos, doctor told that cannot do PGS/PGD.

Hello @towkayneo,

Can check with you the reason it were not viable for transfer? Is it due to its grading? Mine are 5BC and 5CC embryos, doctor told that cannot do PGS/PGD.
The exact wordings are "The result is ready, report attached. The blastocyst is a mosaic male, and not recommended to be transferred"

I think different docs different hospitals/clinics have different protocols, so if your doc told you that you cannot do PGS/PGD, there must be a reason. Did you ask your doc?

Hi all, I just turned 40 last month and had my embryo transfer at KKH last Mon. It's actually my 2nd cycle. My first cycle was with Mt E and had 2 embryos frozen but did not go ahead with the transfer at that time as KKH called to let us know there is a slot with them to start the cycle. My egg retrieval with them resulted in 3 embryos, 1 of which has been used for the transfer. After the retrieval with Mt. E, I also started TCM as well. However, even with TCM, only 3 embryos formed... Was very disappointed when KKH called to inform me about it. So I am also wondering if my 3 months TCM journey helped after all.... Can only pray that it has helped to strengthen my body so as to help the transferred embryo to develop in me. My blood test will be on 13th March. Wish me luck!

Hi all, I just turned 40 last month and had my embryo transfer at KKH last Mon. It's actually my 2nd cycle. My first cycle was with Mt E and had 2 embryos frozen but did not go ahead with the transfer at that time as KKH called to let us know there is a slot with them to start the cycle. My egg retrieval with them resulted in 3 embryos, 1 of which has been used for the transfer. After the retrieval with Mt. E, I also started TCM as well. However, even with TCM, only 3 embryos formed... Was very disappointed when KKH called to inform me about it. So I am also wondering if my 3 months TCM journey helped after all.... Can only pray that it has helped to strengthen my body so as to help the transferred embryo to develop in me. My blood test will be on 13th March. Wish me luck!
Jia you!!!

dont worry, sometimes TCM takes a while to work and stabilize..40 is still a good age for IVF, relax your mind and most importantly, do not give up! remember to stay cheerful as it helps psychologically as well. Wishing u good luck for 13th March :)

Dear all, I just finished my second fresh cycle 2 weeks ago. While doctor changed and increased my stimulation drugs, I only managed to have 3 eggs retrieved this time (first time was 5). But I was lucky enough that all 3 eggs were matured and all fertilized. Unfortunately one embryo didn’t continue to develop, so I transferred the other 2 good quality embryo. Nothing to freeze again this round. My blood test is this coming Thursday. But I’m already seeing some spotting. And the changes in my body tells me this time it didn’t work again. I’m so disappointed. I’m wondering anyone has any advice how many cycles should I try before giving up.

Hello...I was from KKH from beginning to end. I am also a very lax person, no TCM, no multivitamins and I drink bubble tea from beginning to end even during TWW.

My doctor was Tan Heng Hao before he left for Alpha, then I went to Jessie Phoon (too bad, no chemistry) and finally Liu Shu Ling who wrapped up my whole IVF journey.

You can ask your Q here and I see if I can clarify your doubts.

im with KKH too.Did my first fresh IVF in 2018 with Jessie Poon but developed OHSS hence I did FET instead and it was done by Dr Tan TY as Jessie was on leave. 5 years ago i more enthu, went for months of TCM, Accupuncture, drank red date tea and ate better quality food, apply castor oil

5 years down today, Imback to KKH for my FET again. But this round Im not well prep as previous. Now in a 临时抱佛脚 situation to eat cod fish and drink red date water. this round im under Dr Liu Shuling.

All the best
im with KKH too.Did my first fresh IVF in 2018 with Jessie Poon but developed OHSS hence I did FET instead and it was done by Dr Tan TY as Jessie was on leave. 5 years ago i more enthu, went for months of TCM, Accupuncture, drank red date tea and ate better quality food, apply castor oil

5 years down today, Imback to KKH for my FET again. But this round Im not well prep as previous. Now in a 临时抱佛脚 situation to eat cod fish and drink red date water. this round im under Dr Liu Shuling.

All the best to you! I believe Dr Liu is able to help you achieve your dream like how she helped to achieve mine :)

All the best!

Hi Ladies

I just failed my 4th fresh cycle and have finished the two co funding. Any idea if we can appeal and request for more co funding?

Just to share my view on pgt/pgs. One time my ivf cycle produced 3 blast, all considered " slow" in multiplying stage, or not up to expectation, but, even slow, still reach blastocyst stage. So doc recommeded for pgt/pgs, to check for abnormality. Result came back, one normal, one mosaic and one abnormal. So planned for FET after 2 months with the only one normal blast ( somemore revealed the gender to me). I put very high hope for the transfer, guess what, the blast failed to expand on the morning of transfer, but, instead, the mosaic can expand well. So at the end, transferred both into uterus and no miracle happened in beta test. During the review session, doc explained, the normal blast was injured possibly due to the " tiny hole" drilled to take out some cells for testing on chromosome, and the freezing and thawing process were just too challenging for the blast with tiny hole. Somemore, this slow grower blast possible was at reduced quality since beginning. For mosaic, the successful rate is always lower than normal blast. After listen to all these, i just felt one thing, i should just transfer them without the invasive screening, if i was lucky, the first transfer was the normal blast, i would have chance to get positive beta. It was just 3 of them, uterus can be the screening agent, good one have chance to implant, abnormal will fail. Why need to go thru the drilling hole process as the freeze and thaw are already a big challenge for those snow babies. It is just my thought. If i have more blasts ( like 7, 8, 9..) then maybe can opt for the pgt/pgs, since it helps to screen out good one to transfer ( faster to achieve pregnancy). No wrong to use technology, but, think, is it really nessary?

Just to share my view on pgt/pgs. One time my ivf cycle produced 3 blast, all considered " slow" in multiplying stage, or not up to expectation, but, even slow, still reach blastocyst stage. So doc recommeded for pgt/pgs, to check for abnormality. Result came back, one normal, one mosaic and one abnormal. So planned for FET after 2 months with the only one normal blast ( somemore revealed the gender to me). I put very high hope for the transfer, guess what, the blast failed to expand on the morning of transfer, but, instead, the mosaic can expand well. So at the end, transferred both into uterus and no miracle happened in beta test. During the review session, doc explained, the normal blast was injured possibly due to the " tiny hole" drilled to take out some cells for testing on chromosome, and the freezing and thawing process were just too challenging for the blast with tiny hole. Somemore, this slow grower blast possible was at reduced quality since beginning. For mosaic, the successful rate is always lower than normal blast. After listen to all these, i just felt one thing, i should just transfer them without the invasive screening, if i was lucky, the first transfer was the normal blast, i would have chance to get positive beta. It was just 3 of them, uterus can be the screening agent, good one have chance to implant, abnormal will fail. Why need to go thru the drilling hole process as the freeze and thaw are already a big challenge for those snow babies. It is just my thought. If i have more blasts ( like 7, 8, 9..) then maybe can opt for the pgt/pgs, since it helps to screen out good one to transfer ( faster to achieve pregnancy). No wrong to use technology, but, think, is it really nessary?
Thanks for sharing. I'm undergo first ivf stimulation and thinking about PGS as well. Doctor said the lab will be careful to minimize the damage to embryo. If result is bad they will not do transfer, as it definitely leads to a fail pregnancy. So we may end up having no embryo even though reaching blastocyst. I'm still not sure to go ahead or not. l saw in this forum, someone had a baby with day 3 grade C. So that means even day 3 can have good chromosomes?

Thanks for sharing. I'm undergo first ivf stimulation and thinking about PGS as well. Doctor said the lab will be careful to minimize the damage to embryo. If result is bad they will not do transfer, as it definitely leads to a fail pregnancy. So we may end up having no embryo even though reaching blastocyst. I'm still not sure to go ahead or not. l saw in this forum, someone had a baby with day 3 grade C. So that means even day 3 can have good chromosomes?
I would say that chromosomes is like by default, regardless of the day of cultivation. So meaning to say, for example, if your chromosomes are not so good (layman's term), even if you managed to cultivate it into a blastocyst, it might not lead to pregnancy, vice versa.

Even good chromosomes doesn’t guarantee bfp, so it is very subjective

I heard cases like passed pgt/pgs, fail beta ( not implant). I heard case, day 2 embyro, only 1 embryo, the lab officer dare not take risk to cultivate further to day-5, just freeze and informed the patient, come back 2 month later for FET, and this only 1 embyro implanted and borned as healthy baby. If the embryo is normal, no need pgt/pgs, it will still be normal ( chromosome pass), and if womb condition is nice and cosy, sure the embryo will implant and continue to grow. If already failed multiple FET, can try the pgt/pgs, to roughly gauge how many % of embyros form are " normal" after screening. For my case, most probably i can get 1/3 of them are normal. So if i did FET 3x ( each time put back one blast), i will probably face 2 times failure and 1 time positive beta.

Back