IUI/SO-IUI: Anyone?

Hi all,

I am 41 years old. My Dr recommened me to do IVF due to my age and having low ovarian reserve. However, I want to do SO IUI first and therefore my Dr allowed me try once. I had done my procedure in October but unfortunately my AF comes on 13 dpiui. Spotting start on 12 dpiui. Today 14 dpiui I went to do blood test though AF comes already. The nurse said sometimes people still pregnant even mensus come. So it is mandatory to do blood test. Anyhow I already prepare the result to the worst. Tomorrow shall see Dr to discuss the next plan. I feel sad and under depress why people get pregnant so easy at my age and why not me :(

Dont think IVF is that bad apart from the cost issue... I have not tried it but will be doing so this month once I get my menses...

I am 30, no issues with reserve and ovulating every month...Did hormone checks, HSG and so on, all clear...Husband is 33 with no issues (was low of motility though that has increased in the past 2 months, almost doubled)...failed 2X medicated cycles, 2 SO-IUI and now moving on to IVF...

I have friends who are 34/35 who have no issues getting pregnant within 2 months of trying...

While it is something natural, some of us just lack the luck and need additional help...

I just count myself lucky since I can still afford both the financial and emotional value of all the treatments for now...

Dont think IVF is that bad apart from the cost issue... I have not tried it but will be doing so this month once I get my menses...

I am 30, no issues with reserve and ovulating every month...Did hormone checks, HSG and so on, all clear...Husband is 33 with no issues (was low of motility though that has increased in the past 2 months, almost doubled)...failed 2X medicated cycles, 2 SO-IUI and now moving on to IVF...

I have friends who are 34/35 who have no issues getting pregnant within 2 months of trying...

While it is something natural, some of us just lack the luck and need additional help...

I just count myself lucky since I can still afford both the financial and emotional value of all the treatments for now...

Your friends tried 2 IVF? If so, have to spend $30k for both cycles.
The successful rate of IVF for 30 years of age is very high. For my case my hubby has 2% morphology only, plus my low ovarian reserve issue, the chance to succeed is quite low. The ivf cost is 15k to 20k. I am very afraid if it failed, I do not know how much can I take it and how cycles of IVF we can afford. Sometimes I felt I am very useless. Everytime think what went wrong with my body. Why I couldn't conceive? I am very afraid I may end up for adoption.

Anonymousjane, wish you will succeed in your ivf. Do share with us your journey of IVF. For me, I am still thinking my next plan, whether is soiui / ivf.

The successful rate of IVF for 30 years of age is very high. For my case my hubby has 2% morphology only, plus my low ovarian reserve issue, the chance to succeed is quite low. The ivf cost is 15k to 20k. I am very afraid if it failed, I do not know how much can I take it and how cycles of IVF we can afford. Sometimes I felt I am very useless. Everytime think what went wrong with my body. Why I couldn't conceive? I am very afraid I may end up for adoption.

Anonymousjane, wish you will succeed in your ivf. Do share with us your journey of IVF. For me, I am still thinking my next plan, whether is soiui / ivf.
No i tried 2 SO-IUI...yet to start my first IVF

Dont think lowly of yourself. Everyone of us have different ups and downs. Maybe we are lucky in something else...

I used to be so afraid of failure but now I am just planning ahead for a few rounds if it fails. I am going with JB option given the cost which is 1/3rd of Sg. You can also do PGS over there which may increase the success rate.

Worse case if it comes to a point we have exhausted our financial means, will just save up again for a few months and try again. At some point, it might work? :)

I used to have plan to do the procedure in jb, but it would be very troublesome if you don't have own transport, right? Without self drive car, how do you transport up down jb and SG especially when frequent visit is needed for scannings like ivf.

I used to have plan to do the procedure in jb, but it would be very troublesome if you don't have own transport, right? Without self drive car, how do you transport up down jb and SG especially when frequent visit is needed for scannings like ivf.
Well the train is d best and fastest option.
Less queue in immigration, 5 minutes and you are in JB. Grab is plenty and cheap in JB

Based on my consultation with a centre in JB, you need 4-5 visits till retrieval. I bought my train tickets in advance for two and fro...it cost less than $15 for 2 pax two ways.

It is pretty much like SO IUI, with maybe 2 extra visits and retrieval...i am taking half day for the normal visits and might stay overnight in a hotel after retrieval.

Wow... does your company accept hospitalisation leave issued by Msia?

Also, which hospital do you go to? How much is their ivf cost?

I may opt for it when I have tight financial issue.

Im not gonna take MC, just annual leaves (3/4 days)...if need MC, ill just take nearby my house :D

Have PMed you

I will be starting my first SO IUI at KKH this mth, estimated next week according to past menses dates. I’m on Puregon protocol.

May I know for those on this protocol previously, around which cycle day is the IUI procedure?

My menstrual cycle is usually 37 days long. Will IUI follow the usual ovulation date or will it be earlier than normal ovulation date? Thanks in advance.
My experience, it is always earlier than normal unmedicated ovulation date...

Hi ladies,

Just thought to give everyone some update to you guys. So in my earlier post a few months back I told my story of having my first son via iui , with A natural Mc last year. then trying second one via iui again this year. I did 3 iui and failed and went on the forth time. Thinking I would failed once again as I m not getting any symptoms like my first pregnancy instead all the symptoms I got was the same as my first 3 failed iui ( just like pre Menses symptom). I even told my husband that this is the last try and If no result then we are just fated to have one kid and not opting for ivf or so. But I SUCCEDED! :)

The only thing I did different was that in all my previous iui I would have taken a day Medical Leave to rest my body on the day of iui but on this succeeded try, I decided to just take it as a normal day and head back office to work so I keep my mind away from thinking on my iui that I just done. Not sure if it helps as it didn’t stress me as much mentally on that day itself.

So good luck to you ladies here, I m 18w2d now!

Hi all! I am 35 and have been TTC-ing for 3 years. I have PCOS, only 1 ovary and cleared HSG for the other ovary, taking euthyrox for hypothyroid to achieve ideal range. Hubby’s SA is normal good, just that his morphology is 2% which has nothing to worry about.
We went to JB to do SO IUI last month but did not do IUI as Dr says my egg quality is lousy so we aborted IUI. This month I am in the midst of preparing my ovary to grow follicles. I was given 100mg clomid on 2-6 DP and menopur 75IU jab on 8-10DP. I am scheduled to go back this Friday which is DP12 to check on my follicle size.
May I ask if 8mm follicle size on DP8 is normal given that I took clomid?
I am currently quite worried about the size of my follicle this coming Friday. Anyway has experience with regards to what is next if my follicle still does not grow on DP12?

Hi all! I am 35 and have been TTC-ing for 3 years. I have PCOS, only 1 ovary and cleared HSG for the other ovary, taking euthyrox for hypothyroid to achieve ideal range. Hubby’s SA is normal good, just that his morphology is 2% which has nothing to worry about.
We went to JB to do SO IUI last month but did not do IUI as Dr says my egg quality is lousy so we aborted IUI. This month I am in the midst of preparing my ovary to grow follicles. I was given 100mg clomid on 2-6 DP and menopur 75IU jab on 8-10DP. I am scheduled to go back this Friday which is DP12 to check on my follicle size.
May I ask if 8mm follicle size on DP8 is normal given that I took clomid?
I am currently quite worried about the size of my follicle this coming Friday. Anyway has experience with regards to what is next if my follicle still does not grow on DP12?
How is doc able to know the egg quality is lousy? I thought only can know the quantity and not quality?

How is doc able to know the egg quality is lousy? I thought only can know the quantity and not quality?
Becos of my pcos history plus the egg growing is slow. hence he diagnosed as lousy quality. I also have no idea. This would be how I deduce

Last edited:
Thats wht i thought too...have seen people with just 1 egg, average size success with IUI...my case 2-3 eggs also failed...and they cant determine quality of egg unless it is IVF

I am not tat sure too. This is what the doctor says. Keke
However, I read online that poor responder does not mean poor quality. They have success rate Lower then good responder cos they have less eggs maturing but in terms of quality, it is not that far off from good responders.

Don't be disheartened!

I just went to see Doctor and I only have 1 dominant egg at 19x20mm (the rest is too small say 13x14) and scheduled to do IUI tomorrow. I also measured LH today at home n it shows a smiley. Doctor still gave me a HSG trigger just now. Praying hard!

However, I read online that poor responder does not mean poor quality. They have success rate Lower then good responder cos they have less eggs maturing but in terms of quality, it is not that far off from good responders.

Don't be disheartened!
Thank you for your encouragement. It’s been a emotional rollercoaster ride for me n partner.

I just went to see Doctor and I only have 1 dominant egg at 19x20mm (the rest is too small say 13x14) and scheduled to do IUI tomorrow. I also measured LH today at home n it shows a smiley. Doctor still gave me a HSG trigger just now. Praying hard!
I also did iui with 1 egg.

Then did u ask doctor how to improve quality of egg? Like is there injection or medicine to take? I heard from someone that TCM may help.

Then did u ask doctor how to improve quality of egg? Like is there injection or medicine to take? I heard from someone that TCM may help.
Nope. The doc jus said maybe quality is not good but maybe not. She jus said try higher dosage next time and push to 3 eggs. I am trying tcm currently and ate some supplements and food which may help

Can I get your golden advice please on type of supplement and food to help?
Vitamin D3, c0enzyme 10, folic acid. Food like eggs, broccoli, salmon. I am going for acupuncture, do some stretching exercises that more blood will flow to ur uterus and self fertility massage. Also drink tian yuan xiang chicken essence at the same time.

Morphology is not impt in ivf. They will use icsi technique to choose the best sperm. Assisted hatching can be done if your egg shell is hard. 40 cannot use Govt grant unless your bday is not due yet u are considered 39. However u can use Medisave for ivf cycles. U are not useless. We all have different journey n difficulties in life. Many ppl managed to conceive at 40. It’s not easy but perseverance is impt. Of course money is the biggest obstacle. I would not waste time on IUI. Just go for ivf it will give u better chances. All the best!

U can always coordinate with a gynae in Singapore n get the hl from him or her.

Hello mummies to be.. I'm new here, also been TTC for the last 3 years with my hubby but not successful. I did my IUI on 29 Oct and my mensus is late for 1 week. i finished my duphaston meds yesterday and started spotting this afternoon. I'm so scared and depressed.. initially i booked an appointment w my gynae on Sat, since my menses is late for a week. all my home pregnancy tests kits were negative and i tested almost daily after i missed my mensus. when the brown spotting came, i wana cry.. hubby ask me to drop by to see gynae tmr (too late for me to book an appointment now). any one else experienced same symptoms as me? =(

Ok will try red bean. Thanks for sharing!

Don’t give up too! The tww is already killing me though it’s only been 3dpiui. But nothing compared to a few months back where I thought I was going to go into depression. Been trying for almost a year and every failure (or even the thought of failure) started to make me cry. It really affected my sleep and appetite. Must have really driven my hubby nuts but he’s been most supportive. It also helps to be in forums like this.

Been trying to keep busy since. Reading, binge tving, cooking and meal planning all helps a little. Let’s jiayou !

Hang in there.. Wanted to share I've been drinking red dates + ginger tea daily. just boil slices of old ginger + red dates (can clip a bit on the sides to induce flavour) in a pot for 15mins. It serves to improve the blood circulation and "heatiness" of the body. I tried TCM (w acupuncture) last time and was told my uterus is 'slightly cooling' so i tried the ginger red dates tea. Add some brown sugar / palm sugar to taste or reduce the 'spicy-ness'. So i did my IUI on 29 Oct and am now 20dpiui. I'll be going to visit my gynae tomorrow as i started mild spotting this afternoon. all my hpt were negative so I'm worried too.. but hopeful still so long as my period don't come in full. I'll try to update after i see my gynae tmr!

Same thing happened to me, was late for a couple of days post IUI #2, no spotting though but all my HPT was negative. My gynae asked me to stop duphaston and my period came 2 days after i stopped it. I think duphaston kind of delays menses

Same thing happened to me, was late for a couple of days post IUI #2, no spotting though but all my HPT was negative. My gynae asked me to stop duphaston and my period came 2 days after i stopped it. I think duphaston kind of delays menses
How many days were you late? my brown spotting was no more than 50 cents' size but i had bright red spotting this morning. I'm on the way to Gynae now. Will update later

Checked with Gynae and did an ultrasound scan. Its period. There's no fertilised egg and my mensus is treated to start as Day 1 today. Dr informed Duphaston may cause delay in mensus. I'm pretty disappointed, because of the 1 week late of mensus. Starting my SO-IUI cycle from Day 2 (tomorrow) onwards. T.T

Does that mean u have to inject the whole cycle next month again or decreased dosage?
They would scan again nextmonth to ensure the cysts is gone...then i will start IVF injections.. i guess with ivf they can administer HCG trigger to ovulate unlike my previous cycle which was normal cycle without a trigger shot

They would scan again nextmonth to ensure the cysts is gone...then i will start IVF injections.. i guess with ivf they can administer HCG trigger to ovulate unlike my previous cycle which was normal cycle without a trigger shot
How much do u have to pay for this cycle since it was postponed?

Mine was given during the 2ww. Cos trigger shot will be given earlier than actual ovulation so after I stopped duphaston, my period will come earlier than actual
Same mine was also given during tww for only 7-8 days of duphaston. Trigger shot was also before ovulation.

Back