Indonesia domestic worker (FDW) .....??

hifive

Indonesia FDWs have been quite problematic lately.
1) in a short 5 months, 2012 already recorded 9 fell while 'working'. They should be trained by agencies and training centres but fault on employers if they performed task unsafe or employers failed to remind/supervise them. Sound weird that agencies, training centres, HDB and MOM completely out of picture. Fair?

2) demand S$450 (exclude live-in costs) as starting pay, don't need to clean windows, hang dangerous bamboo laundry = lesser chores, employers end up doing for them. Their English not as good as filipino, mostly eat halal food, requires certain level of understanding from employers but want to be paid more, sounds reasonable?

3) Stricter rules to bring in Indonesian maids
By Saifulbahri Ismail, 30 May 2012 Channel News Asia

Maid agencies in Singapore will now have to apply online for employment contracts for Indonesian foreign domestic workers with the country's embassy.

The change takes effect on Wednesday.
The new online system will help the embassy compile data and track the domestic workers from the time they leave Indonesia for Singapore.

The Indonesian embassy held a briefing for employment agencies on Wednesday to explain the changes.

In the past, the embassy said it does not have full information of all its domestic workers in Singapore.

This is because the data was just shared between employment agencies in Indonesia and Singapore.

Now, both Indonesia and Singapore employment agencies must key in the necessary data into the online system.

The embassy said having such information will help it safeguard the welfare of its citizens.

Sukmo Yuwono, counsellor, Indonesian Embassy in Singapore, said: "Based on all that data, I'm very confident it will give protection in the beginning when the Indonesian domestic helper has problems in Singapore.

"Because if I have a call from the police, for example, if I don't have any data, I have to find out by myself. I need to search through Indonesia, search all the agencies... but if they are already keyed in to our system, I will just find out from the system."

Employment agencies said the online process may be more tedious.

This is because even after the online process, agencies have to print out the Employment Contract and submit it to the embassy for endorsement. Agencies then need to send the Employment Contract to their counterparts in Indonesia.

This new system is also expected to put a stop to the practice of some employers who hire maids directly from Indonesia.

K Jayaprema, president, Association of Employment Agencies, said: "So we are looking at more business for the local employment agencies because it looks like only the accredited agencies with the Indonesian embassy will be able to download the employment contract.

"So definitely employers have to go to a local agency to help them with this contract. And it's not going to just stop with new girls coming in, I think it's also for renewal, also for the transfer of girls."

The Indonesian government said it wants to stop sending domestic workers abroad as of 2017. It wants to provide comprehensive training so that workers are ready to enter more competitive industries. Stricter requirements may also be applied by 2017.

"But it's something we have to wait and see how effective this is going to be because definitely, they see anybody working overseas as a better source of income. So unless they are able to earn equally good salaries, I don't think the ban is going to work," said K Jayaprema, president, Association of Employment Agencies.

The Indonesian government had previously imposed a moratorium on sending migrant workers to Saudi Arabia due to the implementation of the death penalty on a number of Indonesian workers there.

uhoh.gif
crazy.gif
So troublesome to hire Indonesians, more money to come out from employer's pocket... do you think we should stop being easy targets ....to be bullied? <font color="0000ff">Malaysia and Saudi paid lesser for FDWs and their living condition not as good as Spore .... are Spore employers too soft? How to make our govt protect us? </font>

<font color="ff0000">Should we stay clear from hiring Indonesians... at least a year?</font>

I am facing the problem with indonesia maid now. Hardly to communicate with her and pay her more than my previous maid and she used shampoo under my expenses. so angry. as i worry she can't care for my children and she cant save the items she used.

I am so angry with the new ruling, the empolyer is at fault if maid fall to death. Stupid and brainless.

What about people die on the road, is the government penalty also....?

Soldier die..government in charge fault..?

Singapore not longer safe.....

Hi happy face,
For my maid, things that I buy for her to use, I will write the date on the bottle. Eg shampoo, 1 litre for her own use can last up to 4 months. (dePending on her hair thickness n length. ) she must understand that if she overused then she paid herself. She still Ok. Some maid very greedy. Free so used n used. But too strict they very dirty.

What u said make sense. If maid fell n employer at fault n govt ban this n that, so soldier died. ( this year also alot) , they should ban training. Singapore child not impt?

But we are always lose out. No choice. Sigh. Next yr will be worse. A day off weekly. More problem will arise

Yes, i agreed and its such a headache over maid issues now. My current maid of 2 years agreed to renew her contract, since its gg to expire in Aug. Her current contract is at $340 no off days, before i renewed i talked to her, decided to increase her pay to S$400 for 1 year since i cannot renew 2 years becos her Passport is expiring next yr. She rejected and insisted on S$ 450.00. I know this is the market rate now but was quite hesitant in increasing that much so fast, intended to increase to $450 next yr if she continues. But well, i guess they are v smart nowadays, though no off days etc and my mil is v strict she can still get informations.
Talked to my agency and i told her i can give her S$450 but no off days and no increment for the next 2 years (if she stays for another 2 years). She asked me to draw up an agreement. But if my maid is indecisive on whether she wanna renew, my agency said i can send her back already.
I'm really stressed over these now. Was thinking of changing to a Myanmar maid instead if the current one dont work out, since nowadays its so diff to get Indo maids + they are freaking expensive now and not necy better. But also heard alot of bad reviews about Myanmar maids... Totally lost now. My next step is to talk to my maid tonight first. Wish me luck!

Hi,

ya i agree... my maid is from indo also... and communication is like chicken and duck...

As for her shampoo and things she used... I told her she need to pay for herself... which she did whenever she needed new ones...

$450 is abit too much esp when she got no experience... sianz... plus levy is amounting up to nearing $900 per month... so shiong...

hi I juz renewed indo maid passport.
you should renew passport before applying for insurance then new WP.

at the embassy, go to lvl 1 counter 1 &amp; obtain green form for passport renewal. Your maid nd to fill in the form together with 2 recent passport photos. Advisable to take there coz they v 'niang' abt pics. They will give you a short slip whc states they requires photocopies of work permit, employer i/c.
Next walk down stairs to a booth for photocopy &amp; tk photos.
Go back counter 1 to submit completed green form. Then you hv to go to another counter near to door n pay for passport renewal.
Then go back counter 1 where you will be given a slip for passport collection.
Next go to 2nd lvl for the interview, if you are KS can get the number even before you collect green form coz it will be a long wait.
The officer will ask you or/and maid how much current salary &amp; any off day. And what is the new salary. You must nego with your maid before interview. The min salary is $400 without off days. If less, the officer will tell you he will not release new passport.

aft the interview, wait for them to call maid's name. You wl be given work agreement &amp; passport collection slip &amp; instructions to get a working card from Indo. The fee is Rp290k I think.

My maid current salary $340 no off days w 1 mth completion bonus. New salary $400 no off days aso with 1 mth completion bonus. She prev asked for $500 coz thot that $120 levy rebate applies to me. I said dream on, only for elderly &amp; disabled persons. We hv to play our part n clear any misconceptions.

Total damage: $35 passport + $0.10 photocopy + $10 photo-taking

My advice is go just before closing ard 1130am, I was very late &amp; reached ard 1150am, not intentional. I spoke to a lady who came at 9am, she stayed till 110pm same as me. The interviews flew past very quickly ard 12 plus coz past lunch time. Mine took juz 2 mins!
P/s: there is a taxi stand juz outside embassy

Been having maid's for more than 10yrs in my family. As long as she is trustworthy, my family will put up with times when she's: a bit lazy, a bit slow, a bit dim, a bit careless, a bit moody, a bit attitude, a bit wasteful... All can tahan as long as she maintains to be trustworthy. So with regards to maids.. See open a bit.
I do disagree with the weekly compulsory off day... Does it make sense that I employ a maid so that I can continue to work every weekend? Got sala anot? I might as well quit my job instead of contributing to nation building (income tax).

Actually all these new rules, I don't even think they are made for the good of indonesian maids. Tell me if you can get a Filipino maid at the same starting price, will you still get indonesian maids?

Nowadays indonesian maids give the same attitude as Filipino maids and are equally cunning. But they don't understand English.

The worst rules of all, compulsory weekend off. You would have to ask them "Why are we hiring them then if we have to do housework ourselves during weekends?" Instead of us being the employers, don't you feel that you have became the maid instead?

If they want to make day off compulsory, fine. But at least let the employers have a say on which day they can have off then!

There is no benefits in hiring maid.

They should go reflect on themselves y SG birthrate so low.

In terms of cost of living is so high.

Maids actually give us nothing but trouble.
There are good ones out there but how many lucky ones can get.

We employers dun gain anything from hiring maid except more troubles.

Maid fall = Employer's fault
Maid Sick = Employer pay
Maid misbehave = Employer's problem
Maid Steal = Blame on Employer's Luck

Maid not happy can say dun work wanna go home = air ticket etc employer's got to bear
Maid nowadays more demanding and some even got attitude problem!

During maid's off day - we are also held responsibility of their safety.

Why should singaporeans give birth?

We need to pay levy fees every month and what we employers gain? Nothing

I enquiries w agency on renewal and that's what they quote

- renew who $60
- renew insurance 250 or 299
- renew passport $450 incl 2 Tim's pickup of maid fm hm
Fm above, if we go ourself only <$50. Gosh

Her current $340 and I'm giving her $100 payrise. Not sure if she knows mkt rate.

Tot agreement is 2wks home leave but agency told me its mutual agreement and can b 1 wk. have already told her better if she don't go back and initially fine coz he needs money but if she wants 2 wk coz she said parent said gd for her to go back so can talk to her etc. now gotta tell her 1 wk so Duno if she's ok.

Understand if she don't go bac we hv to pay her airticket n the weeks off.

If we draw agreement ourself instead of by agency do u think can?

Erm...the trick is to get a good maid agency with friendly fees. If you find those who has mediacorp actress as spokeperson of course will be charge high right? You can call Joyce@84982625 for maid services. She has been helping me and my family all these years.

Went last fri, reached 9am (already a queue) and took about 2hr15mins all in all coz hv to retake photo. The photo we have was balance from her last wp photo so they don't consider that as current. $10. Otherwise, I have everything prepared in advance ie filled up green form, photocopy my id, her passport first 2 pages n last, her wp.

Interview was smooth and officer friendly just ask how much old n new salary and any off day. and they will print out a contract for both to sign. B4 sign there's a regulation for both to read which says give 1 day off each mth else compensate pro rata. Homeleave paid by employer. State new salary. No exterior window cleaning or hang clothes. Pay passport cost for her. Give 3 nutritional meals (haha those who give Maggie mee how?). Pay medical for her. Allow her to pray. No verbal or physical abuse.

Anyone here still giving no off day and how much u compensate her?

Agency advise to say 1 off day and have a separate agreement between u n maid.

Hi, I will like to know if I need to renew passport for my fdw, where do I do it n do I do it b4 I renew e wp?

My fdw wp is expiring end dec, so by when I need to renew?

For indo maids they are more blur as they came from kampong . like my current one . very blur . but so far so good . jsut got her for 2 months . hope everything go well .

Philipines maid are more clever , but beware of their "xiao dong zuo(small action)" my neighbours saw my last time philipino maid with a bangala guy . That time i peep her hp , those sms conversation is quite erotic. Also we found her facebook with those sexy pictures . OMG ...

Wow I went to collect my passport at 4pm, alot of parking lots and no q at all... Just go collect and go... Good

By the way anyone can advise on renewing insurance? Mine with Tenet. Called then up and said I must call Scanwell who is the only one can help me ask tenet to renew. The rate will b better coz Scanwell big co.

Can I not buy my own insurance?

I'm renewing wp online myself too. So need to buy insurance first b4 can renew wp right?

I can't wait haha I renew insurance with Ntuc $308.16 vs Tenet &amp;299.60 with additional 3rd party liability of $25k and the medical also $1k higher.

Ok now only left wp n airticket ...

Anyone can advise on cheap airticket to Surabaya?

The cheapest ticket to Surabaya is by Jetstar. It cost under $300 with 15kg baggage. Sometimes, they have sales. However, if you have Krisflyer points, you can redeem the tickets for USD40 and less than 7k points. They have 3 flights a day and 20kg baggage.

Thks frogpricess. I just searched on jetstar and it's $222 for 10kg and if add 20kg will be additional $17 so abt $240. Still cheap I think...

She's only ping back end dec, think can hang on awhile more to see if there's any promo Ho? Not sure if they knew many maid will go hm so won't hv promotion for Surabaya flight Ho

Any other cheaper flight?

The tickets usually cost about $100 (each way) before plus plus. She goes home for Hari Raya. After I bought I found out that the price drop to $80. On the day itself (she missed her flight); the one way ticket back cost $280!! Up to you if you want to wait, or buy.

Dew thanks!! I wonder did the minister kids when born can walk talk feed themselves? Or they no maid problem either no maids or vv gd family support... I m totally tired of getting maids n no family support n 3 kids.maid choseme not I chose them n maid agt dared to charge 1300 for a transferred indo maid!!!

Hi good try (coping)

The ministers most likely have maids but they are cash rich so could be one maid for childcare, 1 for housework and another do cooking. All thier FDWs can have easy life, short working hours and plenty off days.

Since working for minsters, FDWs don't dare to play tricks because ministers have PAP to back them!

$1300 as placement fee is Expensive!
But the days of such high cost seemed to be drawing near because our dear MOM and govt have no intention to protect us fairly. They allowed embassies to fix rules in Spore and eat us whichever way they fancy, be it fried, stew, steam ... anything la. We are so tasty cooked in whichever method!!

How I wish more source countries can be given so that employers have more choices, no need to be at mercy of Indo or Phil.

Me too, stuck with maid cos no family support. sigh

We shouldn't let Indonsesia or Philippines embassy control us. If these source countries can offer better pay, tell their citizens don't come to Spore and make us as stepping stones. We're paying so much, almost S$1600 per live-in fdw, worth it?

We need more source countries.

Myanmar placement fee will soon be like these 2 spolit countries. Can't speak or understand English, worse than Indonesians still want to be paid high, eg S$400/mth, really thought sporeans have gold for them to dig?? They thought we have money to spare to hire princesses?

I know it is a chore to change maid and let agency pocket more money from you.

But .... we need to let MOM know many employers living in miseries due to MOM's pro-maid, pro-embassy and pro-agencies policies.

your maid may still be in your house but had performed badly or causing you a nervous breakdown, feedback to MOM, let MOM have a record so in case something happens, you can say you've sent SOS but MOM didn't bother.

Tell MOM wake up, stop dreaming our lives were made wonderful and lovely with fdws invading our households! Most full-time women hiring fdws to free our hands so that we can concentrate on our jobs, spend quality time with kids!

Back