How to stop THUMB SUCKING ! !

Now I have another problem, though is off the night sucking but during the day, she will jump on every opp to suck. Hid behind the sofa, in the room etc.. She even did it while playing the keyboard!!!

She missed her thumb very much.....

wow, looks like sucking thumb is a common thing among kids.. you know what, my boy only 5 mths old, but he simply loves his thumb..... he will suck whenever he grabs an opportunity.... sigh... i also dun know how to stop him

does your kids start sucking since very young age?

My girl started when she was only 2-3mths old. Sleep on her back she sucked left thumb, sleep on tummy sucked right thumb.

Now is right thumb and left hand cruddle her soft toys, different location different toy.

Hi mummies,

Glad that I'm not alone :p Mine is 14 MO and sucks his left thumb at every opportunity, esp when someone holds his right hand?!?

Actually I didn't have the intention to wean him off, but reading the long-term effect, think I'll start trying some of the methods here. Cheers!
happy.gif

Hi mummies,

Glad that I'm not alone :p Mine is 14 MO and sucks his left thumb at every opportunity, esp when someone holds his right hand?!?

Actually I didn't have the intention to wean him off, but reading the long-term effect, think I'll start trying some of the methods here. Cheers!
happy.gif

hi mummies,

how does the sock method wk? my babe is addicted to her thumb. i tried putting a sock over her hand but she pulled it right off and went back to sucking!

now i try saying, thumb down. she listens but pops it back in! sometimes get fed up and give her a little smack, but back in it goes again!
sad.gif

oh i see
happy.gif
silly me...okie will try again and see how it goes...where did you get your happening looking mittens from?
happy.gif

happen to pop in here coz my 6 mos baby is also a thumb sucker, or should I say all fingers or whole hand sucker. She can tuck thunbs and fingers even with pacifier in her mouth, she can suck from both hands. We try to pull out one hand, she will tuck the other hand. We are so helpless now..

Judy, what kind of sock is that from Daiso? Is it for hand or is for leg but cover it over hand?

Hi bitbit - any clean sock will do. Judy used mittens but we used our son's socks which he had outgrown already cos they were kind of small and soft, made of cotton so not too hot also. Important thing is to tape them securely round the wrists of both hands. Give lots of hugs, kisses and encouragement!

hi bitbit

Thanks momof3

6mos will still put their hands in their mouth even wrapped up. Doubt this method will work for you right now, may have to wait for a few more months.

jmho

judy..

Meaning for young baby we cannot do anything to prevent them from sucking fingers?

Her fingers joint already 'wearing off, have skin peels already...

hi all, my darling is 7 mths now and before this, she was sucking her fingers and whole hand all day long till she develop bad rashes on her cheeks and chin. The PD prescribed elomet cream(contains steroid)and after application, my girl stopped sucking . i dun advise applying that on your child to kick the habit but just in case they also got rashes, maybe u can also try this and hopefully rid them of this habit. cheers!

our dear son is alredy coming 4yo, but i remembered as a bb he used to suck his thumb too.
unfortunately, i can't remember what we did to try to deter him frm doing so.
one morning, we took him to see the doc (24-hr) at tmc. Can't remem what we brought him there for..anyway, i remem the doc examined him n later asked if we had any problems or questions related to our bb. We told him about his thumb-sucking problem, n the doc actually advd us to give him a pacifier. Told him our unwillingness to do so, coz we, like all you mothers here, didn't want our kids to have a habit
sad.gif

The doc shared his experience with his 3kids, and assured us that bb will know how to wean off the pacifier in no time.
Indeed our boy did..at times when we thot he should hv it, he wud throw it out w his tongue.
So mummies, i personally feel you should try the pacifier or a teether or something else like a blankie iso of chilli sos, ru yi you, the nail thing that taste like cutex as all these are extremely harmful to the bb/chd.

jmho and hope this info helps, eventually
happy.gif

miracle bebe, my gal already 2 yrs old so i tried giving her pacifier but she will play with it then finally suck back her thumb ha ha.

I tried the plaster method and I found it missing... thot she swallowed it and almost had to send her to A&E. Turns out she took it off. I guess I will wait till she is 3 yrs old than reason with her.

Hi to all mommies, I'm janice and i'm new in this forum. I got a 8 mths plus gal oso like to suck her thumb too. But i gave her pacifier during she sleep so wen she sleep her pacifier drop she will wake up and cry for it unless she's too tired she will just sleep throughout. My gal will onli suck her thumb wen she's bored but my method is tat ask my maid not to let her suck her thumb and if she saw my gal doing tat just pull out her thumb and said a firm 'No' to her and she will stop sucking and let her plays withs toys den my gal will forget abt it liao.

<font color="aa00aa">hello these are really useful information.. i was a thumb sucker when i was young.. guess how i remember bec i suck till very very big.. i think primary school.. till i was ashamed of my habit.. kick it off myself. That is why i do not allow my daughter to thumb suck.. hee </font>

i would like to use the above information in my Blog .. do you mummies mind? I think it is good to share all these useful tips.. and information.

Judys Motherhood Store - can i use your picture? asking permission..

Hi,

I guessed I have been very lucky, cos me friend who girl sucked her thumb till 5 years old, advised me from beginning to use pacifier. She told me her girl's condition was so bad that her finger kinna 'rot' cos her gal was sucking her thumb so hard that bacterial set in, esp bet the nail and nail bed. The skin, when healed, become thicken. Her gal only stopped when her fingers was bandaged up for a month. Now at seven, her nail and thumb is slightly out of shape.

So her advice to me was to use pacifier, as we can always take away the pacifier when we do not want to give it to her. However if allow them to suck finger, we can never take away their thumb and stop the habit.

So far I have listened to her and has no problem with my 1st born. She started with pacifier and stopped at 2 plus. I am also giving my 3 mth old son pacifier now as I noticed he is also sucking his fingers.

Hi

I gave my gal pacifier too, when she was about 2 months. She's almost 2 and Ive just weaned her off the pacifier. She does put her fingers into her mouth, especially when she's not actively doing anything. Quite worrying...cos she gets rashes on her chin..not sure if i should re-introduce the pacifier..

My girl fell and cut her lips at 25mths old. I told myself maybe this is the chance to get her to quit her thumb sucking habit. She sucked only when she's tired and bedtime. I kept a close watch and reminded her if she put her thumb into her mouth it will cause her more pain. Even took the mirror and show her her cut. And from then on she don't dare to suck her thumb although she tried but I kept reminding her.

Hi,

my 10 month old girl also got thumb sucking habit.However, she only suck when she was about to go to sleep. I'm concern about her habit now because I notice her thumb start to peel and crack. I tried to look for those thumb sucking guard through the internet but those are for 3 years old and above,not to mention about the price

Is there any way to help younger babies to stop the habit? I also tried introducing pacifier but she refused.

thanks

My girl suck her thumb till abt 4 yrs old. Well, we didn't really try to stop her cos we believe she will stop the habit eventually. And one day, she decided to remove her habit cos I made a remark abt her thumb (quite ugly after yrs of sucking). She asked me to put plaster on her thumb when she is asleep. It was real tough for her but she kick off the habit herself after a few weeks.

Same here.
My 4mths boy also like to suck his thumb and the whole hand.
If i pull it away, he will cry.
How to stop him from sucking??

I introduced pacifier to prevent thumb-sucking and good thing kid only used it for 6 months and then 'own-self' threw it away by 1.5 years old.

my son 14 mths sucks till a thicks patch is going to form on his thumb soon.
I tried to buy the iquitpens, but amazon no stock, and the only site that sells dont ship international.
I tried garlic, bittergourd, chinese medicine powder, 'ying hua' tea. even bandage on his thumb, no permanent solution.
one of his front tooth is out of place already. going to gp, they said never mind. pharmacies dont have anything for less than 3 yrs old.
at my wits end now, if his front tooth isnt out of place, i wont be that worry.

Don't worry. My girl sucked her thumb till 4 yrs old. she still has a perfect set of teeth without the need to put on braces.

Back