Helper to take care of children at age 5 - 8 years old and how to handle helper issues?

To Know More

Scenario and to Clarify, Seeking for advice:

1) What is your selection criteria to choose helper who can take care of the children around 10 years old?

2) An employer hired a helper who came with lots of illness that not mentioned to the agency and she bought lots of medication from pharmacy to consume. The employer have a huge concern on her health and sometime asked if she need to see doctor, she would say no need because of this is existing health issue.

There was once she got the medicine from the Chinese Doctor but because she dislike the medicine, she choose not consume the medicines base on the given time.

Why the MOM did not help the employer to screen through or have more tight control on this old medication record issue? Even if we work with other employer, we need to declare. Why helper no need to declare old medical history?

Agent alert if the helper fall in sick that need to go hospital because of old illness, employer can't claim a cent from insurance. How can MOM help the employer to tacker this issue?

Do you think MOM must come out with some rules to help the employer to tacker this issue? Otherwise if the helper who come with lots of illness can't handle housework or children, employer will be the one who bare all the expensive medical cost, maid transfer, flight tickets... Any comment and views for this point?

Question: Who can I speak with? The MOM phone always very hard to get through. I called more than 10 times and none of that 10 times can get human answer. All machine answer.

4) The helper always attached with her phone. Talking on the phone during working hour and many times midnight the employer spotted she play phone till 12:30 am to 1:30 am. This really impacted her work especially when she need to help in morning housework. She refused to let employer keep her phone.

Question: Does the employer have the right to keep the helper phone in this scenario?

5) She found a new employer who was her ex-employer family member. She told the current employer if she go to new employer house, she need only take care of the pet and do simple house work so she can have more free time for study. In fact, this is good for her and everyone have the right to choose who they want to work with.

However, during transfer period, her new employer insist want to take her immediately before their trip to oversea regardless of the current employer get their new helper. The new employer met with agent but luckily the agency help to explain to the new employer the situation. Only then the new employer allow current employer to find new helper with more time.

Questions: Unfortunately, after the current employer found new helper, agent said can't release old helper because her new employer is in oversea and will return after more than a week. Only then can release her.

Why to transfer helper, the current employer need to pay the agent lodging fee until her staying new employer back from oversea? Isn't it we just sign paper to cancel or release her but why still need to pay for her stay? Did any employer here pay any fee like this before during transferring out your helper?

I have been looking for information and details from MOM for more than a week, I can't find any related information that can help me. I called MOM more than 10 times but I don't know why no luck to get a real person who can answer my concern.

My agent said if not pay in full they will discuss and consider me to pay for this helper half price staying fee. It will be for one week or more. We feel extremely unfair for us in the whole scenario.

Summary and suggestion from agent:
Due to so many scenario on her case, agents also don't have best solution now and share with me a few suggestion.

A) Send her back to solve the problem but she is unwell with flu and down with fever. It is our responsibility to cover her health care concern. I told agent she need medical support at this moment and I can't let her back with her current situation. Someone in SG need to take care of her.

Secondly,we can't send her back because she already found her new employer.

B) Send her back to agent but I have to pay her staying fee even I transfer her out until her new employer is back to take her. Is this true the rule is set like this? After more than a week then the new employer will be back from oversea then she will go there. Huge problem but agent can't help but mentioned I need to pay the lodging fee if I transfer her out to agent there but why? Is this the right arrangement?

c) May I end her contract immediately and get transfer document done? But why agent not allow us to end and said if I cancel her contract I need to buy air ticket. But this is a transfer case. Why I cannot release her and agent settle the rest? Why transfer a helper have so many problem? Who can I seek help?

Hope to get more comment and experienced employer to give me suggestion how to solve the problem?

Please help. I really need advice because I have never encounter all the issues above in pass 4 years. Appreciated and Happy New Year.

Last edited:

If I were u, I wld buy airticket, cancel her WP and send her hm..as a form of punishment for e maid and e new employer to sign e new agreement without ur knowledge. Hv u sign e release form for transfer?

Thank you for your replied.

1) They didn't manage to sign yet because stop by my agent and because they are first timer and my agent inform me may take longer time to apply. They verbally agreed and my agent have to spend sometime to explain to them I cannot release her till i get new maid.

2) I never sign the release form yet. Because I urgently need a helper, the agent help me to sign 2nd maid for me. I am so worry the MOM will charge 2 levy for both helper and yet this one cannot release. My new helper is with agent now although she can come anytime but the old helper still with me.

3) Agent said I can't sign the transfer to release her because her new employer not yet sign contract and in oversea. Then the agent off day tomorrow and next day new helper will come. I don't know whether agent already inform her or not and I still don't know how the agent will arrange the exchange.

My mind filled with lots of worry because she is very unwell with flu and fever. She also has her positive points and willing to help me in a few occasions. Therefore I feel I have to take care of her.

However with all my current situation and with young children, with lots of household and preparing for school opening, and agent need me to pay more staying fee for nearly a week till the new employer back. Due to I am unemployed now and my hubby is working to support the whole family, so we really want to find out do we really need to pay for that transfer lodging fee?

.... THank you for your reply.

Depending on your contract w e agency. For mine, I hv to pay for e lodging till the maid is transferred to e new employer. You better clarify w ur agent how long u will need to pay esp when u said e new employer needs longer time to be approved, not sure why though.

Am interested to know what can b done so that we need not waste $ and time. It's like that most of the time, employers need pay for lodging n wp like to a month when we send them back to agent. We are responsible for their everything even tho it is not our fault. Thanks to MOM policies which do not protect us at all.

I think u have to calculate how much lodging u will be paying for her. I did a rough computation for my case. If I transfer her, I have to give agent 21 days. Assume $10/day, it cost around $210, it is almost same as air ticket back to philippines. Budget airlines very cheap now.

Back