Help!!! Baby many days no shit...

Currently my bb is 4month plus. He had consipation problem since 3rd month. He at then can 3-4 days shit once and as times goes... It get worse and today is his 8 days no shit already...

Please kindly advice what i can do to help him... Seen many many doc, all say he on breastmilk so its ok tat he nvr shit for a few days, no med to take....

Hi babymadeline,

There is no need to worry if yr baby is breastfed. It is very normal around this age, as I breastfed my 2 kids til age 18mths. They will stop pooing for 4 to 7 days, as the nutrients in the breast milk are fully absorbed by the body. Hope this helps.

No, it doesn't affect their moods cos it is a natural process. They do not poo as their body has absorbed most of the nutrients in the breast milk. It is not considered constipation, it is more of a transition.

I was worried like you when my elder gal didn't poo for a number of days. I can't remember I heard it from my PD or read it up in the Internet, that it is normal for breastfed babies not to poo for a few days at around 4 mths old. Formula fed babies are more prone to constipation but not breastfed babies.

Normal for breastfed babies to not poo for many days and when they do, it is an explosion. If for 2 weeks your baby still no poo, you can then see doctor to check.

You baby may feed moody maybe he got air trapped in his stomach? Try burping him often. Please be reminded that even breastfed babies need to be burped.

Agreed breastfed babies also need to be burped.
As for the explosion, when it comes, reminder to cleanse promptly and thoroughly in case of urinary tract infection. My poor gal suffering from it now.
sad.gif

I had the same situation with my daughter - the PD assured us, that so long as the poo is not hard, there is no need to worry. Because some fully breastfed babies are so attuned with the mommies milk - the mommy produced 100% of what is needed and ONLY what is needed, hence no "waste" (pooh!!).

When I get impatient, I would give her one FM feed, and next day sure got wastage, lah! hahaha... The other trick is to do a gentle clockwise massage on the tummy (below naval). It helps to regulate bowel movement. Works for adults, too!

Thks everyone for all the advice... Feel so relieve that my bb nt the onli one face such problem and seem like it is nt a really problem actually...

Hi there,

My bb now at 14 weeks is also having this problem. She was able to poo when birth till 4 weeks old. There after she did not poo for 1 week. We were worried and brought her to polyclinic doc to check. The doc prescribed bb suppository to insert and she did manage to poo.
Poly doc told us to sent her to kk emergence if she still don't poo after the insert. Although, she did poo (alot!) but we are still worry because she still didnt poo after the third day. So we went to kk. However, the doc told us is normal for bbnot to pop as they hav absorb most of e breast milk nutrient and not much waste. We also went to see a PD to check, the PD told us that my breast milk dont have fibre to help bb to poo. He prescribed oral tablet and bb manage to poo the next day..

What I don't understand is althought doc mentioned that there is not much waste for bb on breastmilk but when we use suppository n oral tablet bb poo was alot n not little. My bb is coming 3mth old n for e past 2mth we hav been helping her to poo (insert suppository or oral tablet). I am worried that she will relie on these support to poo eventually. But if we don't use it she wouldn't poo on her own.

Babymadeline, did ur bb manage to poo after 8 day?

Actually I think your BB's system already relied too much on insert and tablet. I can tell you that all breastfed babies have the same thing. As long as not 2 weeks still no poo.

You read on the internet about baby poo and you'll read all about it. How they always poo every single feed in the 1st month, then after that will be they own timing.

Maybe you are a new mother, but you should have guessed there's no right and wrong answer when 1 doc from polyclinic made it sound so serious and yet the kk doc say is common and the PD says no fiber etc..

To tell you the truth I always come out to this conclusion when different doctors give me conflicting answers. I have similar situation on feeding too much to my child. 1 say too much 1 say too little 1 say ok.

Added: If your child is on formula, then you may need to bring your milk to the doctor for advise instead. As always, best is not to use medicine like inserts or tablets. Do the clockwise massage on the stomach or the cycling bicycle leg exercise for her.

Hi... Yup my bb poo on the 8days...
According to my research n conclusion of seeing so many doc, it is common that bb on breastmilk having this poo poo problem. Is nt consipation actually, is actually that we have feed the bb breastmilk n the amount given to him is juz nice for his diet n his body had taken in all the nutrients given to him from the breastmilk and so this is y no output.

Although is been assure n reassure by docs but as a mummy, of coz we will be very worry abt it coz it sound so adnormal for a bb no poo poo for so long.

So far... I had no given my bb any med or insertion med coz my family docs adviced mi not to give coz bb body will either addicted or worst is bcoz this med tat insert or taken into their young n small body, is to flush out the shit and this shit act might injure their stomach system and worst worst n this act might coz the bb in future lost ability of contolling their bowel...

Lastly... I rem a mummy here told mi that if no shit, try give abit formula, sure gt output so i had been trying for abt 1 week le and realised that bb really gt poo poo, either daily or 2-3 days once.... Duno is it really work for my bb or juz nice la but at least he poo poo le and i am happy le.

Yup... Alot...
I gave him
Friso bt i am changing to enfalac coz i dun like friso coz duno y it will produce alot bubbles when my bb drinking loh...

Enfalac is v smelly, there is a very strong metal smell. My bb was on mix fm(similac) n bm when birth till 4week old. My gynea told me similar very heaty n not good. So we change to enfalac and that is when she stop pooing also... ...

Different bb has different reaction on fm so I'm just telling my experience. Althought similac has strong metal smell too but is not as strong as enfalac.

Pd advised me to let bb drink NAN. I bought a tin but have not give bb try.

Hi grace,

I don't wish to keep giving her e insert n tablet too.. But as you knw alot advise will come to you. Like my mum will worry n keep telling me how can don't poo for so many days, even adult need to poo everyday, else she will tell me how can a small bb tummy store so much pop.. Etc.. Which make me worry. Therefore, every 3 days if she don't poo we will give her the insert or tablet.

My bb was on mixed den full bm.. Maybe I will go back to mix see if she will poo..

Hi Potatoes, I know your situation. For a first time mummy, you will practically follow every advise given be it bad or good. But do remember you are giving your baby medicine. And now you state you are doing it every 3 days.

From now on, I feel you should take off the tablets and inserts or I believe you will be doing your baby a GREAT harm cos your BB will be relying on it to poo.

Do you think letting BB rely on meds to poo or just let him poo naturally is better?

My son can go for 10days no poo (longest record) and when he does go, it is an explosion every time for maybe 2 to 3 times for that day.

In fact, I believe your PD should have stopped you from using meds in the first place. So your PD is also not quite good.

Hi potatoes, my pd told me bb r similar to adult, some won't poo everyday. My #2 used to poo every 4-5 days. Once he turned 6m, I gv him daily dosage of probiotics n fruits. And he either poo everyday or once every 2 days.

In fact, every 3 days was advise by e PD (tablet) n kk doc (insert).. That's y we follow..

Thanks for your advise grace, I shall stop and see if she can poo on her own..

Potatoes,

What Grace has advised you is absolutely correct. Relying on medicine and inserts to poo is doing more harm than good to yr child. These medicines are as gd as laxatives, loosening the intestines to release the poo. In the long run, the intestines will lose its strength. When yr child is older, he/she might hv more constipation cos the intestines do not hv the strength to push the stools. Pls stop before more damage is done.

I feel you shld focus more whether yr child is active and happy, rather than on how often yr baby should poo. I am really disappointed with the doctors that you went to, how could they not know that it is normal for breast fed babies not to poo for a week. It is disturbing cos they could just ruin 1 healthy baby's health by giving the wrong advice.

A mother is the best doctor cos you spend the most time with yr child, and you know yr child best. You need to be firm despite yr mother's concern because it is yr child after all. In our parent's time, they were encouraged to formula feed us unlike now, more mothers are encouraged to breastfeed their babies so yr mother would not know much abt how often a breastfed baby would poo. My mum and my MIL do not know much too as they do not hv much experience in breastfeeding. My MIL tried to encourage me to formula feed my kids but I ignored her cos I know what is best for my kids.

Do educate yourself on the internet, you would be surprised that you can learn a lot of breastfeeding information on the internet. To see a doctor, do educate yrself first so you can question them. I completely agreed with what Grace had written in her postings to you.

It is not easy to be a mum these days with abundant advices that can confuse you, so the best you can do is educate yrself first before you go to a doctor unless it is an emergency.

Hi,
Thanks for the advise. Of cuz I do read on Internet to gather more information on breastfeeding and why bb dont poo everyday. However, we do need alternative advise too. How would we know if the internet source are reliable?

For a first time mother, I'm more worry than any one else and of cuz I want to help her than harming her.

Appreciate your advise. Thanks.

Potatoes,

I apologize if you feel offended by my previous posting. From the 3 doctors you went to, which doctor did you believe in? Hv you questioned yrself whether it is healthy for yr baby to poo depending on medicine or suppositiories frequently? You are worried cos you hv no knowledge of what is happening to yr baby, but to hv 3 different advices given to you by different doctors, how do you know which doctor is giving the correct advice?

If you noticed from the doctors' advices, they are prescribing medicines to alleviate yr worries of yr baby probably having a constipation without full knowledge of breasted babies. Hv you also asked yrself whether these doctors are the best persons to consult? Why not consult a a lactation consultant who is experienced in teaching new mothers to breast feed? You do not need to answer my questions, it is for you to ponder on. There will be more challenges as yr baby grows up.

I do not not mean to criticize you in my previous posting but I want you to know that you can't believe in doctors fully cos they are humans too, and do make mistakes. I understand that you are worried as a first time mother but you can always educate yrself in reading up books if you do not trust source from the Internet. If u are keen, you can start by reading up on Babywise book. Look up in amazon and read the reviews to know more. Whatever advices you may receive, do weigh pros and cons.

By the way, Potatoes, for your information only. Last time when I was once a first time mother, I know your worries. Baby eat alot, scare baby eat too much. Baby eat little, scare baby not enough nutrients. Baby no poo, scare constipation. Baby poo alot, scare diarrhea.

That's what mothers go thru. I am still going through this stage even though my number 2 is almost 1yo, cos I can tell you that irregardless of how long you are a mother, mothers tend too worry too much.

That is why I suggest you take note of all those breastfeeding support group and in my opinion, the all so important number of the kkh's Ask-a-nurse.
happy.gif
To tell you the truth, I find advise from KKH's ask a nurse much better than the PD or a GP.

I asked them practically about everything from my body, to my children and baby. Even when baby is having fever, I asked them when I should start bring baby in to check etc. As you contact more and more, you'll learn from the information you get that sometimes, your own gut feelings is the best indication. Don't listen to what other people say if you are easily swayed by them. Listen to yourself and TRUST yourself.

This are my lessons learnt from my 3yrs of motherhood. You can entertain other's advise (can tell you, it is non stop advise from day 1 to day infinity) but still not following them.
If they criticize you about it, just inform them you are your baby's mother and you have your own best interest for the baby too, only that it is not the same as theirs. I learnt mine the hard way when my elder child suffered a lot just because I listened to EVERYONE's advise.

I agree with Grace on trusting yrself. As my son had high fever due to listening to other's advice, I regret and wished I hv listened to myself instead. It was a lesson learnt. I take care of my kids based on my instincts, so far it has not failed me. I hv read up a lot on health due to my poor health before marriage, and the knowledge I acquired from reading health books and advices from Chinese physicians has helped me a lot in taking care of my kids. I do make mistakes along the way too, but I learned from it.

Motherhood is a long learning process, even when yr kids are in primary school, you will hv a different set of worries. A mother will always worry, but do try to keep calm at all times. You will solve problems more easily with a calm mind.

I guess being fellow mummies so we feel heart pain for the baby, hence some of the harsher comments. I'm sure the mummy herself feels all the more so. At least all readers here have some takeaways. Hope the baby's condition will improve eventually.

My bb has not poo for 2days, tmlo will be 3rd. Was quite worried and wanted to send her to see doc, but after reading here and surfing around on the net, it seems normal for bb not to poop everyday after the meconium was cleared, so at least not so panic.

Bb is now 2.5weeks old, on mixed bm and fm. Previously admitted 4days for jaundice, thus now a bit paranoid abt her poo. Guess I'll wait another 2-3days before bringing her to doc. I've advise to give her baby prune juice, just a few drops everyday to help her poo, wonder if this is ok?

I gave bb few drops of prune juice mixed w water, massage her lower belly, help her do 'air bicycle' exercise, and massage her anus every time I change her diapers. Today, she finally pooped, I think abt half a cup. Yeah!

Is gonna be day 7 today for my 2.5months girl no poo. Currently she is on Full Bm. I wonder when Is the limit to see PD as I read is normal for baby on Bm no Poo for days.
Anyone can advice doesn't the food we eat actually wil affect their poo routine?

@cutipie my boy is on bm fully and he had no poo for a week when he's younger. he's now almost one yr old but still poo only once in a few days. as long as your girl looks okie (meaning she doesn't seem to be in discomfort and is active) I think no need to be too worried. I ever asked the PD about no poo for so many days she said no need too worry unless bb is in distress. I believe your girl will move her bowels
soon.. be prepared for a lot of poo cos it's so massive till the poo came out of my son's diaper.

When my baby was on full BM, she could go up to 7-8 days without pooh. Still, when pooh, will be soft and a lot. PD says this is normal because the BM was so in-tune with the baby's needs, there is NO WASTE (= NO POOH). because poo poo is WASTE product. Like alexmum said, so long as the baby is happy it should be fine. If you wanna encourage bowel movement, you can do massages - circlular movements, CLOCKWISE between belly button and groin area.

Back