Enquiry

stevenho_cm

Hi all,

My wife just tested positive for her second/third pregnancy kit. Didn't tell me about the first so we suspect the baby to be in the 3rd week. Can I check whether I should go to a normal GP or straight to the hospital to do a check up? I have heard different friends saying different things. Some says to go immediately while others say to go after the 4-6 weeks since nothing can be detected. Please advise. Thank you.

Yours sincerely,
Steven.

You can try going to a women's clinic which has ultrasound equipment for an initial checkup. I went to one at Jurong East (Esther Yeo Clinic) when I was in my 3rd week (I'm in my 8th now) and Dr Yeo managed to detect a sac thru her ultrasound back then. I'm planning to see her till my 16th week until I can decide which gynae to take the antenatal package.
She's on holiday now and Dr Lim (her partner) is covering her. Dr Yeo should be back after 17th Aug. Hope this helps.

Hi Mspiggytoh,

Thanks for the reply. So any women's clinic will do for initial checks? We can decide on where to go for subsequent consultations later? Or we will just have to stick with the same doctor?
Still can't decide whether to choose a public or private hospital? Wife is a thrifty lady, kept insisting on public.

You can tell the clinic assistant that your wife suspects that she's pregnant and wants to do a check up. You can still go to other doc or gynae later on, as long as your wife is comfortable. Im with Dr Yeo as she has been our family doctor for a long time and many of my cousins go to her for their initial pregnancy checks. Her husband is a gynae at TMC too. I had a miscarriage last year so the moment that I tested positive on my pregnancy kit, my hubby brought me back to her as she knows my past miscarriage.
Majority of the antenatal package starts from around 20 weeks onwards, so for the time being, your initial antenatal checkup maybe slightly more expensive. For Dr Yeo, my consultation charges is the same as a normal GP and $60 for ultrasound scan. Medications/ supplements will vary.
Do a bit of research on the costs of maternity and delivery packages. I'm also planning to check with my insurance agent on my insurance if it can be claimed under my package. Same here, I would want to save as much as possible. :)

Thanks for the information. I will bring my wife to a women's clinic first. Then we will decide about the rest at a later stage.
In the meanwhile, eat well, sleep well and stay cheerful. Looking forward to hear about your smooth delivery in another 6-7 months time.

Back