Dr Chan from Glen E

my experience with dr chan is not so gd:
1) his charges expensive
2) long waiting time
3) Sometimes i ask him question n he comment it is stupid
4) consultation seems rush
5) I personally dun wan epidural, but during my visit wif him on my 39th week he say if i dun take epidural then i hav to get another gynea !!
6) the only thing he can comment during each visit is abt my wt n nothing else.
7) He told to induce plus epidural, in the end the induce not successful baby in distress n i hav 2 go 4 emergency c-section.
8) Total charges for the delivery (doc fee plus hospital (2-bedded) comes up to close to S$ 10,000
9) During routine check after delivery i ask dr chan if I move 2 vigoursly will my wound torn, dr chan simply look at me n comment this is a stupid question... i ask cos im in so much pain. my room mate is shock at his answers.

The only good points abt him is his advance scanning machine (clearer scan )n competent nurses team. He is no doubt a v.experience gynea but i will never go back to him, cos I think wat im paying is simply not worth it.

Im expecting my 2nd baby n i now wif another gynea, charges r more reasonable n gynea more patience n sincere n respect ur decision. I personally feel that Dr Chan is pro-epidural. if u wan 2 try an all natural birth then don't go to Dr Chan.

Hi guys,

I'm also a patient of Dr. Chan and did recommend a number of friends to him. All my friends are happy with him.

I have to admit the waiting hour is long but I always arm myself with my favourite novels/magazines/DS games for the visit. Actually I make it as a time to catch up with all my reading. And it's a great excuse to get out of the office early... hahahaha...

The nurses are very good/nice! Both doctor and nurses speak Cantonese. Because I'm from HK, I prefer to converse in Cantonese which this makes me and my hubby very comfortable.

And everytime, I'll write down all the questions that I want to ask and he'll patiently explain everything to us.

Dr. Chan operated on me last year because I found quite a number of fibroids inside the wound. No pain after the op. And according to my colleauge/friends who had Dr. Chan delivered their babies, all of them said no pain afterwards. I guess that's the MOST important thing.

But then, if you are not comfortable with any doctor that you see, better find someone else. It's very important that you can rely on someone or have faith in the person that deliver your baby. =)

Hope my comments help.

I also hav bad experience wif Dr Chan. Cos he insisted for me to go on Epidural, when i wanted to try if i can take the pain w/o epidural he told me that if i dun take epidural then i can go find another gynea, this is wat he told me on my due date...how to find another gynea.?! haiz
I think he is experience but his charges is really high. if u prefer a all-natural birth then Dr Chan is not suitable

hi.. i wouldlike to find out more about dr chan..

is he really very pro epidural?.. and i called the clinic they said his packages start from week 15, and its $888.. so how much are his consultations b4 a package then?

Does he have a lot of hidden charges?

Yes he quite pro epidural cos he believe you got more strength to push.

I cant remember how much I paid for before package but my case abit special as I got spotting so he monitor me quite closely and I need to pay for additional medicine for the baby. But definitely cheaper to sign a package.

What you mean by hidden charges?

The package consists of scanning, consulation and vitamins. Additional test need to pay. Eg. I did a heartbeat test for my baby 2 weeks before delivery cos my baby's weight was below average. That got to pay.

I'm w Dr Chan & currently in week37. So far i'm very happy w the overall experince, i like the cheerful nurses and totally agree on him nagging about excercising (easier to push on delivery day). I like the fact that he's one of the 5 gynaes in Spore that has a 4D machine, which means every month we can collect/take a 3D print out home every month and see our bb on the 4D scan machine every month. (so u can see bb's face every time, without having to wait til delivery day). From other mummies, his stitching skills is also supberb and i think its ok to pay that extra so long as i dont have to suffer the pain after birth
happy.gif

Totally agree with meira.
Dr.Chan seems to have mood swing at times also.

For complications, he really can't give good suggestion or treatment (it made my condition worsen), then he just told me to have surgery. So now I switched to another gynae and my illness was treated without any need for surgery.

And I was quite unhappy that HE WAS LATE for my scheduled GA C-section! according to his nurse, he was explaining another op with a patient over the phone (that sound not urgent at all right?)
My poor HB was waiting for me outside the OT, worrying and dunno why it took us sooo long!!!

One more thing I was not quite happy is many pple jump Q. Not that these pple had reached there earlier, but these pple are fierce to the friendly nurses and saying they have waited in the cafe bla bla... hey, the rest of the pple also waited very long in the clinic. Sometimes up to 1.5 hours!

Yes, his charges is very high. My bill was 8k+ in 2 bedder ward.

ok, my HB said my msg here was too fierce. He is not that bad in my HB's opinion, so I give him a 50/50.

Well I should not forget to mention that, he has encouraged me a lot about coping with post-natal blue during the hospital stay and my 1st return check up. He also visited me in the morning and also in the evening before he knock-off from work (he didn't charge me for that 2nd visit I think), because i was too worried and stressful so he actually paid extra attention to me after my c-section.

That's what I make the conclusion that Dr.Chan has mood swing :p sometimes very nice and sometimes very fierce

choco_cat
so far me, sil and my colleagues are very happy with Dr Chan. Both my kids delivered by him and we are very comfortable with him.

Of course these are very subjective because what one is comfortable with does not necessary means the others will enjoy too.

So gynae consultations I feel are very personal, you gotta to find a gynae you trust and feel good with. If not just change.

FYI, he is very well known among doctors and nurses. He is always their choice of gynae. I am from a medical assistance company, and he is referred by my dr in office. My own family's GP's 3 sons are all delivered by him too. When you are at the labour ward, dun you feel that all nurses are always singing praises about him.

Dr. Chan? - White hair old man? ...

My first child was delivered by him... BUT I'm VERY disappointed with him.

After 8 years, thinking back what he had done and the procedures and lack of 'EQ', I'm still fuming and my emergency C-Sect and package.... costs me a total of S$10K+...

I've delivered in March by Dr Chan. Totally enjoyed my birth experience. Was natural, with epidural and forceps. Not much pain and i felt very reassured all the way. Right after the next day i was able to get up and go, tho nurses didn't really let me coz epidural hasn' t subsided yet.Just did my post birth 2 mths checkup, all smooth sailing. Will definintely go back to him if i have a second one again
happy.gif

My daughter was dellivered by Dr Chan. She is coming to 4 now. I was very happy with the whole process. I've been trying for my 2nd but with no luck.
So thinking of doing and IUI. At the moment i'm not staying in spore so i only be here for 2 months. So i was wondering how is Dr Chan expertise in fertility?
Anybody have done an IUI with Dr Chan before?
did he give you any ovulation medication or jab before the IUI?
Or should i find a fertility Dr since i only have 2 months to try.
Tks.

Tks

I just delivered in Dec with Dr.Chan. Extremely excellent stitching skills.. i was up and walking on the same day and did not even need to take any painkillers. He's can be rather err naggy with your weight but all for your own good. Otherwise an excellent and very experienced doctor.
happy.gif

can anyone advise on the latest package from dr chan?
my next appmt with him will still be in my first tri and i want to know how much his latest package is cos every visit is quite expensive without package.

Hi Qingling,

Thanks. I'll be going to Dr chan in my week 11 so.. i guess i can enquire on the package then. i do like dr chan just the individual scanning is really expensive.

hi apple, dr chan's latest package price is $1,600 starting from week 20. This includes the scans and prenatal vitamins, but excludes the DHA supplement ($55 for 60 tablets).

Hellgar, huh? I thought the package is $880 and starting from week 16? Pre-natal package at $1600 is vv pricey! Nvm..will see him soon, shall update once I gotten the package price

Emmy, I delivered in jan 2011. The package price is $888 exclusive of delivery charges of $1300. I was shocked to be charged another $1500 for the inpatient visit by dr chan when I was in hospital for 3 days 2 nights. He charged me a total of 6 visits (morning and evening a day) at $250 per visit. I was totally upset about the high hidden cost which was not communicated clearly to me that the standard visit for inpatient is twice a day. I paid abt 3k just for delivery and inpatient attendance (excluding package, hospital charges and other doc's charges).

Hi mummies, I am very overweight (85kg before baby is conceived), is Dr Chan the type who will ask me to do a lot of tests (blood tests, high blood pressure etc)?

Does he nag about the mother gaining weight, or the baby gaining weight? Or does he nag about NOT gaining weight?

Any updates on the recent charges for Gleneagles single bed?

kaysee, dr chan is VERY particular over weight issues and you may find it abit stressful if he nags at you every week. Even for me who is rather skinny before pregnancy, he is also quite concerned when I put on too much weight during pregnancy. So for people who cannot take his criticism, they have to take note of this.

Other than that I think he is great as a gynae.

Hi kaysee, yup dr chan is definately gonna stress u out for gaining too much weight BUT I believe he has both your bb n your interest at heart. He mentioned to me if bb is too huge, its gonna be tough on mummy opting fo natural birth.

Hi gervynne n chengchengmummy, thanks for letting me know.

Oh dear, he sounds like a great gynae but I am really worried about getting too much stress regarding the weight. My previous gynae keeps asking me to go for high blood pressure and other tests though I am perfectly fine. Hopefully Dr Chan does not do that.

Hi kaysee, agree w chengchengmummy. Dr. Chan's emphasis on optimal wt gain can only benefit you so tt you cn hv more birth options & baby will hv good headstart in good health. He surgically removed my fibroids in Dec '09 & I had minimal pain! I am now 35wks & hv enjoyed my pregnancy & chkups so much (cos I get to see my baby in 3D every mth!) tt I might consider hvg a 2nd one! ;) Plus, I hv an underlying medical condition but Dr. Chan is always encouraging. He is worth every cent we pay cos it's like paying for insurance.. just in case things go wrong. Hubby n I hv peace of mind. His expertise & straight talking hv won many patients' hearts..;)))

Hello mummies, I am considering doc chan for my first pregnancy. I am 35 this year and wonder if he will insist I do the amnio test?
Personally, I prefer the ultrasound and blood tests to assess the risks first.
Can anyone advice their experience with him on this matter? Thanks in advance
happy.gif

hi baby starry

are we talking abt Dr Chan Kong Hon? Both my kids were delivered by Dr Chan, the 2nd one just last year Dec. As i was 37 last year when i delivered my 2nd son, Dr Chan did the Amnio test(drawn out a sample of the amnio liquid) for lab testing. He would insist you to do the test but he will advise, of cos the decision is up to you whether you want to do the amnio test or not. But i think Amnio test is more accurate. its is rather 'normal' to do amnio test for above 35. you cannot assess the risk just by ultrasound and blood test is not accurate

Thanks snowball for sharing! Yes is Dr Chan Kong Hon I am referring to. Ok, I will see what is his advice for me.
Do you mind sharing how much did you spend for your 2nd child with Dr Chan?

2nd child was more expensive than the 1st cos the 1st child was 8 years ago, the higher rates is due to Dr Chan's fee is up and due to my age (above 35) and need to do extra test like amnio test and detailed scan etc. The bill for my 2nd child (caecerean) is abt 10k for 2 bedded (3 days 2 nites) and less off medisave, need to pay abt 6k. By the way I had pay extra 1k for Dr Chan fee as i had chosen a prefered day and time.

Snowball123,
Can share your experiencce of Dr Chan doing amnio? is he steady/confident? i am with Dr chan and 35 years old.

hi dorakid

Dun worry, Dr Chan is a very professional and experience doctor, you can see from the babies photos all over the walls in his clinic and the no. of patients in queue to see him. Kaypo abit I saw Mark Lee's photo on the wall, think her daughter was also delivered by Dr Chan.

Ok back to amnio test, the amnio test is done over in less than 3 mins, a needle will be 'poke' under your abdomen (avoiding the baby) and a tube of amnio fluid will be drawn out for lab test. Dr Chan will chat with you to distract you abit and you just 'relax' and concentrate on the ultrasound screen, before you know it is done and over with.

Did someone ask me about the charges for amnio test? i think all in all the amnio test is abt 2k. The 10k hosipital bills is solely bills for caecarean delivery excluding all these amnio test, detailed scanned, consultantion before signing packing etc.

As for the detailed scanned, as i was over 35 so doctor advised me to do the detailed scanned, being the 2nd pregnancy and an 'obedient' patient, i just heed the doctor's advise.

snowball123,
Thanks for your advise. I was told amnio test is about 30 minutes to 1 hour. Did he apply numbing cream or anything before poking?? By the way, was Dr can accurately tell you the baby's gender?

I am thinking if I will be asked to do detailed test esp Dr chan machine is so advance already (3D + 4D)This is my 2nd pregnancy too. I think most likely also C-section cause 1st one is c-section as well(but done by another doctor). Can the amnio test be deducted from medisave or cash upfront?

I also kaypo and saw Mark Lee's photo onn the wall. hehe

dorakid

oh isit they told you amnio test is abt 30mins to an hr? maybe 30 mins includes the consultation? But in any case the process of extracting the amnio fluid is the most less than 5 mins. just poke, extract and done. Of cos Dr Chan will apply anaesthetic before he 'poke' the needle on you, otherwise it will be painful isit it? As for gender by 3rd mth i had already know the gender cos my boy little birdie shows on the ultrasound so its almost 100% sure its boy.

Detailed scan is optional, up to you, if you want Dr Chan will write a referral letter and you hv to go to Thomson Medical to do the detailed scan by another doctor, there after bring the report back to Dr Chan for his review. My 1st pregnancy is emergency caecerean so 2nd one Dr Chan advise to do caecerean to avoid any risk. Amnio test cannot be paid be medisave, its cash upfront. But the package $888 that you booked with Dr Chan can be claimed from medisave when you do the admission with gleneagles when you due soon.

Dorakids

I dunno how to comment on stitches, but for Dr Chan he is not using those thread that will dissolve by itself. U need to go back 10 days after the delivery to remove the thread. But the removing part is painless.

snowball123,
So must go visit him during confinement.. The last time my gynae remove everything in the hopstial.

Did u manage to get out from the bed to walk the second day after your c-section?

Yes hv to go back 10 days later to remove the stitches.
You are advise / encourage to get downthe bed to walk the next day, but it's very pain lor. The pain gets lesser in the fourth day. By the way the hospital pkg is 4 days 3 nites, I wrote wrongly in my earlier msg.

I am diagnosed with PCOS but the current gynae i am seeing doesn't give me confidence. She seems more interested in chatting abt frivolous things other than my condition and i have tried for 2 months for a baby but still negative.

Also i don't get much insight on my problems

Can anyone pls share if you have PCOS and went to Dr Chan?
Also how much are his consultation

Back