Does stress makes it harder to conceive?

Xoxo1234

Hi all,

I conceived naturally within 1-2 months last year but suffered a miscarriage at 8 weeks (bb no heartbeat) with no known reason.

Went to tcm to 'tiao' my body after the mc and started ttc again for about 4-5 months now but with no good news. During this period, I had an intensively stressful period at work (being new & ppl expect me to know things & ppl aren't exactly nice etc) and I was surprised that I actually broke down suddenly for quite a few times while working from home.

Unknowingly, I've become fearful at my workplace with all the negative stigma that was built upon me. Recently, I was switched to another team. Even though with the change, there's a pressure that I'm not living up to people's standard again. Not sure if I can take another blow at work.

In anyway, I would like to ask would work stress makes it harder to conceive? I have seek a few advices on this but there are varying answers. Tried finding new job but to no avail atm. Am thinking if I should quit now without a job and try to conceive in a stress free environment. But that will down our family income by 50% and it also scares me a little that there will be no income for the next 1 year (assuming if I get pregnant). I'm currently 32.

How do u all make decisions like this??? Stressed af.

Last edited:
Based on my experience, stress can be a reason for not able to conceive. But there's no scientific proof about it.

Conceiving will be of both party as well. Even if you aren't having stress, but hubby have, still have low chance of conceiving.

Also stress everybody will have it. It depending on how you go about relieving or releasing the stress. That's why many said go for a vacation to relax and relief stress. But again now covid and aren't able to travel, does that mean can't go vacation to relief stress? No. Vacation is just one of the method. There's plenty ways to relief stress still.

Healthy lifestyle, right timing, stress relief, better body etc, plays a part for conceiving as well.

I do think so. During the first few years of marriage my husband and I weren't having any success in getting pregnant (we were both working full time). My gynae Dr Ben Choey suggested to take a second honeymoon and just relax. No work in mind, just quality time. We got pregnant right after, so I really do believe that stress plays a part. STress and being tired + the timing. So many factors o_O

I do believe stress plays a large role. The funny thing is the more you are desperate to conceive, the less likely you are able to get it because you stress over it.

Hmm if having a single income is going to stress you out, then I would say don’t resign yet. More importantly, I think you have to recognise it’s not a guarantee you will conceive even if you quit your job. Jiayou!

Back